Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Play dis game ya'll.

Thanks Illtair for hooking me up with a new dress and some plat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Ehud posted:

Play dis game ya'll.

Thanks Illtair for hooking me up with a new dress and some plat

Woah, get it right. It was Swashy, using Illtair's money and character for my own purposes.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I as well got hooked up. Chuy, Illtair, and Mauzer have all been great.

Don't hesitate to start up if you're on the fence!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Siets posted:

The players on this server are so ridiculously nice. I'm just not used to human beings acting generally this awesome in a video game.

:allears:

Just never join the end-game/raiding scene.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

khysanth posted:

:allears:

Just never join the end-game/raiding scene.

Although, honestly, as soon as you group up anywhere (or hell, even popular solo camps), the drama will follow you there.

People are nice and great, until YOU TOUCHED MY MAWB!!!!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's everyone's thoughts on rolling on loot in a pubby group after already winning an item? People get pretty pissy about this the couple times I've done it, but I don't get why I suddenly have no right to roll. I'm talking about items worth maybe 500 to 1k

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

hayden. posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on rolling on loot in a pubby group after already winning an item? People get pretty pissy about this the couple times I've done it, but I don't get why I suddenly have no right to roll. I'm talking about items worth maybe 500 to 1k

It's up to the group to make sure loot rules are in place first.

That said, there's nothing "wrong" with what you're doing, it's just a bit of a greedy dick move. Share the love. If I win Item X, then Item Y drops, if I'd rather have Item Y, the usual thing to do is roll on Item Y, and if won, pass Item X to the second highest roller. Or have everyone who's interested in it roll again. If there's enough drops that everyone gets some drops, usually people quit caring.

Again, nothing wrong, but it's generally bad etiquette.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

It's up to the group to make sure loot rules are in place first.

That said, there's nothing "wrong" with what you're doing, it's just a bit of a greedy dick move. Share the love. If I win Item X, then Item Y drops, if I'd rather have Item Y, the usual thing to do is roll on Item Y, and if won, pass Item X to the second highest roller. Or have everyone who's interested in it roll again. If there's enough drops that everyone gets some drops, usually people quit caring.

Again, nothing wrong, but it's generally bad etiquette.

It really depends on the camp, as well. All the lovely 1-2k items in crypt you can roll on all day, but if a hiero cloak or torpor or some other expensive spell drops, and you win, then you're passing (unless you're a greedy dick, but usually they'll state don't roll on that poo poo because you won something of value)

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
Just got signed up yesterday. Recreated my original char (Ainwein the Wood Elf Bard).

If you are questioning whether or not this lives up to the vanilla experience, here's what my day was like yesterday:

• Created an erudite necro. Cant find way out of Paineel, and decided to go bard again. Re-roll.
  • Get my bard created. Look in Kelethin for the bard guild for 15 minutes. I used to do this ALL the time in vanilla because even when the maps came out, Kelethin is a mess.
  • Finally get my note turned into my GM. I fall down off Kelethin while not paying attention so whoops, gotta get my corpse.
  • I got a new song at 2! It's a PB AOE! Which is awesome because Verant randomly sprinkled red con pixies and orcs in with the blue/white con mobs I was grinding. Incoming 3 Corpse Runs, 2 of which take 10 minutes at least because I didn't grab a /loc before I died.
  • After fighting monsters for a while and finally hitting level 2, I manage to somehow find my way back to Kelethin. Remember, sense heading is dog poo poo at low levels. I ended up at Crushbone and Felwithe before I finally found it again.
  • I finally got a guild tag! You have to meet a guildie IN PERSON to receive a tag (Forgot about this).
  • Yay I hit level 3!

This was over 2.5 hours or so. It's painfully slow, but I have to admit, you do feel like you accomplished something each time you level or get a new piece of gear. In WoW you blow through 1-10 before you even realize what happened. This was a nice change of pace.

Now I just need someone to send me plats. And by send I mean take a boat or get a port to Gfay and hand it to me.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Man I love EQ...

I think I just convinced some buddies to start on this server next week with me for regular groups - do you guys have any advice for earning decent starting gear for low level characters?

I have a level 10 enchanter parked in Qeynos that I'm probably going to main, but I'm thinking of getting everyone started in the Freeport area to access the EC tunnel. I'll miss Blackburrow :smith:

Of course, any of you guys are more than welcome to join us if you want to chill/grind till our eyeballs bleed out of our sockets.

I'll post character names once we get started if anyone is interested.

Copout
Dec 26, 2012

Colorspray posted:

Man I love EQ...

I think I just convinced some buddies to start on this server next week with me for regular groups - do you guys have any advice for earning decent starting gear for low level characters?

I have a level 10 enchanter parked in Qeynos that I'm probably going to main, but I'm thinking of getting everyone started in the Freeport area to access the EC tunnel. I'll miss Blackburrow :smith:

Of course, any of you guys are more than welcome to join us if you want to chill/grind till our eyeballs bleed out of our sockets.

I'll post character names once we get started if anyone is interested.

I would make a character to play with you guys. Since all of my friends that used to play said "you're loving crazy" when I told them about this server. Just say what they're making.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Decent starter gear? At level 1, just farm decayed skeletons until you get enough cloth armor to not be naked. From there it depends on class. For melee that can wear banded, look on the P99 forums in the EC Tunnel section and find a few people who are making Banded armor. Add them to your friends list and hit them up when you see them on and have the PP for it. If you're a cloth caster class, gently caress gear. You won't need anything unless your an enchanter and unless it's a crude stein, it's going to cost you a fair bit of coin for a first character.

I was running through Sro just a few minutes ago on my way to see if Hasten was up and I passed a 6 man group of near naked ogres and trolls killing the orcs near the south. At first I thought it was a gimick until I realized it was likely a group of new players all grouping up for classic fun.

Anyone who rolls a bard and makes it to Blackburrow needs to send me a tell and I'll powerlevel them a bit.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
For new dudes, this is a pretty realistic guide to choosing a class on p99 written by someone who is well acquainted with the server and classic EQ in general: http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide

I don't agree with all his rankings and it's a bit end-game skewed, but it's almost all good info for people who are new to the game/era/server and trying to choose a class.

Colorspray posted:

I think I just convinced some buddies to start on this server next week with me for regular groups
I'm happy to hook each of you up with the usual plat I toss to new goons and whatever gear I have handy as well. If you want to get goon guild tagged as well we've got a decent number of newer people on these days and I can likewise take care of that.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Are servers down?

I haven't had time to play for the last few weeks, jumped on the other day and again just now and I get a "could not reach webserver" error.

Not sure whats up.

EDIT: Okay got it working!

DaiJiaTeng fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 3, 2013

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
This is Draux / Maraux checking in. Thanks Mauzer for helping me out with starter plat - it's definitely appreciated. For anyone on the fence - There were 117 people in East Commonlands tonight around midnight PST. This server feels like a real server.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

So I updated to Windows 8.1, and EQ now crashes with an error after choosing a server and trying to log onto it. WinEQ2 gets the same result.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
My client was crashing in the same manner but once I started launching EQ in windowed mode it stopped.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Just run it in compatibility mode and in a window and it should work.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

I've tried:
- Running as admin
- Running in every compatibility mode option
- Reinstalling (uninstalling completely, reinstalling EQ titanium, deleting the necessary files and installing the P99 files)
- WinEQ2 with EQPlayNice
- Deleting .ini files, setting eqclient.ini Windowed mode to both TRUE and FALSE

I dunno. Maybe it's a DirectX issue, but I'm not sure I can downgrade that...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Are you using the launcher program? It caused issues for me.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

No, just the regular eqgame.exe patchme method.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So I got tired of my human necro and made a half elf bard named Musak. I'm only level 4 so far but if anyone wants to group in the Gfay area let me know.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
I've got a bard parked in Gfay so I'll look for you next time you are on.

If anyone has a 1hander or a couple plat they could spare for me that would be awesome. My starter sword is terrible and the downtime between fights is making this process very bleh so far.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I have a weapon Illtair gave me for my bard. Decided I'd rather focus on the mage. So if he has no problems I'll just give it on over to you.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Go for it - I don't have any other bard weapons at the moment so that would be a good pay-it-forward move :)

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Sweet! Char name is Ainwein. I'll be on off and on today running around the Gfay area.

E: Neat. Thanks! It sounds like it's one of those BRD specific weps that comes from the random Kunark zones no one goes to?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I forgot how awesome crushbone belt turn-ins were- about 20 belts got me from level 4 to level 7. Also, they drop a lot more frequently here than I ever remember on live, on probably about 50% of centurions.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Copout posted:

I would make a character to play with you guys. Since all of my friends that used to play said "you're loving crazy" when I told them about this server. Just say what they're making.

Hey man sorry to keep you waiting. One of my friends has already started a monk in Qeynos so I think we'll all be in that area.

I have just a few people on "maybe" right now - this week I'm visiting their homes to help install the client and help through the awkwardness of first playing the game and setting hotkeys, navigating inventory, etc. I feel like a crack peddler.

For the newbie group I made a bard - right now it is just bard+monk (we're like level 3, won't advance too quickly so people can catch up), but some new faces will be joining towards the end of the week. I'll post names as soon as I can guarantee this will be a thing.

Although if anyone wants to chill/murderize some gnolls or bandits in the Qeynos area please feel free to hit up my 11 enchanter, Rocodo.

edit:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If you want to get goon guild tagged as well we've got a decent number of newer people on these days and I can likewise take care of that.

Yeah thanks it would be awesome to join - I'm always looking for cool people to play this with.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Bronze armor drops like candy in SolB so the druid ring there is -well- stocked in it if someone is looking for cheap melee plate twink gear that weighs a ton.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Ugh... reinstalled.

Anyone know of a good spot for a 49 monk to solo and make some cash and exp? Or just exp? Going to try and save up for some pipe MQs

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Equality posted:

Ugh... reinstalled.

Anyone know of a good spot for a 49 monk to solo and make some cash and exp? Or just exp? Going to try and save up for some pipe MQs

Its been awhile but im pretty sure I did Sea Furies or Bloodgills. It sort of depends on your gear.

Copout
Dec 26, 2012

Colorspray posted:

For the newbie group I made a bard - right now it is just bard+monk (we're like level 3, won't advance too quickly so people can catch up), but some new faces will be joining towards the end of the week. I'll post names as soon as I can guarantee this will be a thing.

Ok, I'll wait til you're all ready before I decide what to play.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've been quite busy IRL in the last week and will continue to be for a while. Hopefully people are still getting invites etc. but if you have been waiting without luck, please throw a post up in here when you're online and I can try to pop on to hook you up - just too busy to even idle in game at the moment.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Rolled an Iksar Warrior, if I could get a guild tag that would be awesome. Should be on 9pm EST to 'way too late.' Character name is Vasrin.

Shindig
Apr 2, 2002
Started up as unclejesse, bard in qeynos, would love an invite when someone is around there!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shindig posted:

Started up as unclejesse, bard in qeynos, would love an invite when someone is around there!

I got you sucka.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to go on a boat ride to Freeport. This will be magical. I'm a little tired of CB belts and shoulderpads, so I am going to try some charmed animal pet kiting in the Karanas.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wondermoose posted:

Rolled an Iksar Warrior, if I could get a guild tag that would be awesome. Should be on 9pm EST to 'way too late.' Character name is Vasrin.

Assuming that we all have the ability to invite (do we?) I can hop on and get you tagged. I am currently hanging out in Kurn's Tower for one more level, then I'm off for LOIO and Warsliks Woods.

Never leave Kunark crew checking in. :smug:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Did the Red99 (pvp) thread get merged with this one?

In any case, if you'll excuse a small plug, give EQ pvp a shot!

It can be surprisingly intense, and the server seems to be on the upswing also so now's a great time to jump in, with a newbie-friendly guild exploding in population (knights who say NI)

I can scrounge you up a magic weapon or plat for spells, and hop on my druid to give you some PL-loving to get your feet wet.

The water's warm, come on in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jebediah posted:

I'm about to go on a boat ride to Freeport. This will be magical. I'm a little tired of CB belts and shoulderpads, so I am going to try some charmed animal pet kiting in the Karanas.

Go to EK, drag yellow griffawns/gorge hounds/etc to Guard Sara by the farms right by the bridge, befriend animal before they die, then snare/nuke the 20-30% health high con to death.

The whole being able to charm enemies guards assist on, and then having them automatically unaggro is amazing.

• Locked thread