Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GD_American posted:

FIFA should definitely get a 30 for 30. The clusterfuck that will be the Dubai World Cup should be plenty.

Covering the Qatar bidding process would get more than a few journalists kidnapped and threatened at AK-point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Not one of you fuckers came up with UCI or APT?

Then there is Bernie Ecclestone...

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

There are certainly more corrupt commissioners than Bettman out there, but most of them are highly competent in their corruptness. Nobody else is even close to being as bad at their job as Gary Bettman is.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

There are certainly more corrupt commissioners than Bettman out there, but most of them are highly competent in their corruptness. Nobody else is even close to being as bad at their job as Gary Bettman is.

Increasing revenues to like billions of dollars and getting national television deals? he's really good at his job dude

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Increasing revenues to like billions of dollars and getting national television deals? he's really good at his job dude
He went from ESPN and ABC before the 2004-05 lockout to Versus afterwards. As for the increased revenue, us hockey fans are so bad we practically need Mariska Hargitay to convince us to ditch our NHL teams. For everyone who said they were done, I only know one person that actually quit the NHL after the last lockout, and that was because his wife lost her job as a direct result of it :smith: The legacy of his commissionership has been a chunk of franchise expansion/relocation into the Southern United States that went so well, one wound up moving to Canada, while one that moved from Canada has been owned by the league for the last several years, and has only been kept from relocating to save face (and because it would economically obliterate the suburb it plays in).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

that sure is a funny way to misspell losing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Any TV deals the NHL has picked up are almost entirely due to a broadcasting arms race rather than competence on Bettman's part.

GD_American posted:

that sure is a funny way to misspell losing

Also this.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

AceFace905 posted:

He went from ESPN and ABC before the 2004-05 lockout to Versus afterwards. As for the increased revenue, us hockey fans are so bad we practically need Mariska Hargitay to convince us to ditch our NHL teams. For everyone who said they were done, I only know one person that actually quit the NHL after the last lockout, and that was because his wife lost her job as a direct result of it :smith: The legacy of his commissionership has been a chunk of franchise expansion/relocation into the Southern United States that went so well, one wound up moving to Canada, while one that moved from Canada has been owned by the league for the last several years, and has only been kept from relocating to save face (and because it would economically obliterate the suburb it plays in).

i'm still not sure what this has to do with bettman making billions of dollars for the people that hired him to make money for them, which he has

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

Any TV deals the NHL has picked up are almost entirely due to a broadcasting arms race rather than competence on Bettman's part.

Also this.

right, they still made lots of money from the deal they made, lots of money, and they still have a national television deal. and also having franchises in the south is much better for this than having franchises in moose factory and elk taint manitoba

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

i'm still not sure what this has to do with bettman making billions of dollars for the people that hired him to make money for them, which he has

Don't come crying to us when goalies only wear beach towels in front of a soccer-sized net and you have to watch games tape-delayed on RFD-TV, I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GD_American posted:

Don't come crying to us when goalies only wear beach towels in front of a soccer-sized net and you have to watch games tape-delayed on RFD-TV, I guess.

Now this is hockey I'd watch.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

well i was only planning on talking to my therapist in the event that this absurd hysterical hypothetical comes to pass but thanks for the advice, i guess

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wait people actually think Bettman is bad at his job? :psyduck:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

Wait people actually think Bettman is bad at his job? :psyduck:

people that weren't around pre-bettman think he is bad at his job. pretty sure no one that remembers john ziegler or gil stein thinks bettman is bad at commissioning. bettman is amazing at the business side of things. he's grown the league to a position that was unimaginable in the 80s. most of what he gets criticized for (the lockouts, discipline, espn ignoring the nhl) is the fault of backwards rear end owners and executives like jeremy jacobs, ed snider, james dolan and the late bill wirtz

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GD_American posted:

The stand up goalie will rise again

Should probably at least wear a hat this time around though.

I'm pretty sure that blocker is actually an oven mitt

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Predecessors sucking worse doesn't mean Bettman still doesn't suck hard.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Predecessors sucking worse doesn't mean Bettman still doesn't suck hard.

What do you think the commissioner's role is exactly? He made the owners lots of money, far more annually than before he took over. It's questionable as to whether or not the league could be making even more money than it is right now, but it's not like he's lost any money or revenues are declining. Hell, he managed to make an entire year long shutdown (and a few years later a half season shutdown) of the league make SENSE economically for the owners. Baseball still hasn't recovered from its brief strike 20 years ago. That's drat good stewardship IMO.

Yes he's made some questionable franchise relocation/expansion decisions, yes he's a smarmy bastard, yes he took hockey off of ESPN. However, all of these things increased the revenue stream for the owners in the short and long term. Say what you want about the ethos of the game or growing the fan base or what have you, but hockey is a business and he's sharply increased revenue and profit for its investors.

He's done his job almost flawlessly in my opinion. That doesn't make him a likable human being though, but that's a separate issue and mostly beside the point. Scummy people can be good at business, indeed they're usually the best at it because they're willing to make unpopular decisions that are in the best interests of only a few people.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 6, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ThinkTank posted:

yes he took hockey off of ESPN.

This was a bad move both short and long term.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

This was a bad move both short and long term.

From an optics perspective sure, but financially he made more money through Versus/NBC than ESPN ever have or ever will offer. Again, he is not there to appease the fans, he reports to NHL owners.

Anyways, hockey on ESPN in the past didn't exactly skyrocket the sport to world wide attention, why would you believe that sticking with the same network (that treated hockey as very much a 2nd tier sport) would suddenly improve things? Short term there was no benefit financially, long term the prospects of future revenue were very questionable. It was probably an easier decision for the league than you'd think.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Gary Bettman sucks, come on now.

The latest 30 For 30 short is really awesome - the couple that created the MLB schedule by hand for decades.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9930115/our-latest-30-30-documentary-short-tells-story-how-husband-wife-ended-creating-schedule-mlb

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

From an optics perspective sure, but financially he made more money through Versus/NBC than ESPN ever have or ever will offer. Again, he is not there to appease the fans, he reports to NHL owners.

Anyways, hockey on ESPN in the past didn't exactly skyrocket the sport to world wide attention, why would you believe that sticking with the same network (that treated hockey as very much a 2nd tier sport) would suddenly improve things? Short term there was no benefit financially, long term the prospects of future revenue were very questionable. It was probably an easier decision for the league than you'd think.

All of this is right in a sense, but it all just assumes Bettman's not at least partially responsible for driving the league into such a hole in the first place. In a vacuum, less money to get ESPN exposure is going to be far more beneficial, but dumb expansion decisions led to them needing the guaranteed Versus/NBC cash over something that would probably more efficiently grow the product following that disaster year, but not provide you with the guaranteed stability necessary to keep afloat a bunch of teams that shouldn't loving exist in the first place.

You're absolutely right that it was an easier decision for the league than most thought, but only because terrible mismanagement from the top down left them so desperate they had no other recourse.

Doing a relatively decent job of fixing a gently caress up doesn't mean you didn't gently caress up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The point is the NHL didn't have steady growth while it was on ESPN and did while it was on Versus/NBC. ESPN never treated the NHL like a sport worthy of its full attention, and it stagnated. Just plonking a product on a network doesn't guarantee growth. Time slots, attention, references in other mediums, etc. are incredibly important as well. NBC for the most part treats hockey like it's something people should at least vaguely care about. ESPN did not and offered less money.

The only real benefit ESPN seemed to offer was the idea that they'd grow the NHL brand, something they objectively had not done in the decade or so they had with an NHL TV deal. Revenues have sharply increased with Versus/NBC, and while the two are not 100% linked you can only point to numbers in viewership, revenue etc. and those have markedly increased after ESPN.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yahoo did a 30 for 30 on Space Jam and it's magnificent.

http://omg.yahoo.com/video/30-30-space-jam-game-155008766.html

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
It was revealed a few days ago that a 30 for 30 on the Von Erich family is being worked on with a January 2014 ETA. It's going to be the most depressing one yet!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

It was revealed a few days ago that a 30 for 30 on the Von Erich family is being worked on with a January 2014 ETA. It's going to be the most depressing one yet!
That name sounds familiar to me, but I can't put any faces to it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's a lot of bullshit surrounding the Von Erich story and ESPN hasn't had a good track record of sifting through that when it comes to cover wrestling. Still, I want to see it.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

That name sounds familiar to me, but I can't put any faces to it.
From Wiki-hole:

quote:

The Von Erich family is a professional wrestling family. Their actual birth names are "Adkisson", but every member of the family who went into the wrestling business used the ring name "Von Erich", after the family patriarch, Jack (Fritz Von Erich) Adkisson.

Although the family patriarch Fritz lived to the age of 68, five of his six sons preceded him in death (three by suicide). The firstborn son, Jack Jr., died at the age of six. In 1984, David Von Erich died in Japan from acute enteritis of the upper intestine. Michael, Chris, and Kerry all committed suicide in 1987, 1991, and 1993 respectively. Mike died after taking an overdose of Placidyl. Chris shot himself in the head with a 9mm handgun at his parents' home in East Texas. Kerry shot himself in the chest behind his father's house on Shady Shores Road. Kevin Von Erich is the sole surviving child of Fritz (Jack Adkisson) and Doris Adkisson.

The third generation of Von Erichs is currently forming. Kerry's daughter Lacey and Kevin's sons Marshall and Ross are now in the business.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Maurice Clarett-Jim Tressel one debuts right after the Heisman ceremony and it's done by the Zimbalist Brothers, who made The Two Escobars.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just finished watching The Two Escobars again, so that makes me happy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

and if any of you care, the first volume of 30 for 30 Season II is being released on DVD on Nov. 26 and includes:

- Broke
- 9.79*
- There's No Place Like Home
- Benji
- Ghosts of Ole Miss
- You Don't Know Bo
- Survive and Advance
- Elway to Marino
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Free Spirits
- No Mas
- Big Shot
- This is What They Want
- Bernie & Ernie
- The Book of Manning
- A Bonus Disc with 8 30 for 30 Shorts (at least on Amazon. Not sure if this is included everywhere)

There's also a set with all of the Nine for IX's that is available already.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
"I once had five brothers, now I'm not even a brother."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I thought the Manning one was an SEC deal, since they've been cranking out their own docs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

I thought the Manning one was an SEC deal, since they've been cranking out their own docs.

Technically it was an SEC Storied doc but it was popular and it's the only one of those that didn't premiere on ESPNU so I'm guessing they're being liberal with the designation to help sell that DVD set.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I caught "The Best There Never Was" about Marcus Dupree last night on netflix. Easily one of my favorite 30 for 30's yet. If you haven't caught it I highly suggest you do.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

and if any of you care, the first volume of 30 for 30 Season II is being released on DVD on Nov. 26 and includes:

- Broke
- 9.79*
- Benji
- Ghosts of Ole Miss
- You Don't Know Bo
- Survive and Advance
- Elway to Marino
- Free Spirits
- No Mas
- Big Shot
- This is What They Want
- Bernie & Ernie
- The Book of Manning
- A Bonus Disc with 8 30 for 30 Shorts (at least on Amazon. Not sure if this is included everywhere)

Unfortunately I think most of those are pretty average.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's not 30 for 30 but I think NFL Network has done a great job with its "A Football Life" series so far.

This week they're doing Steve Gleason, on Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET. Get your Kleenex ready.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

It's not 30 for 30 but I think NFL Network has done a great job with its "A Football Life" series so far.

This week they're doing Steve Gleason, on Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET. Get your Kleenex ready.

Yea these have all been pretty solid this season. The Pat Summerall one was really good and the Matt Millen one actually made me respect him.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

- Broke
- 9.79*
- Benji
- Ghosts of Ole Miss
- You Don't Know Bo
- Survive and Advance
- Elway to Marino
- Free Spirits
- No Mas
- Big Shot
- This is What They Want
- Bernie & Ernie
- The Book of Manning

Whelp, there's another that I have to add to my Christmas list. Thanks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Maurice Clarett-Jim Tressel one debuts right after the Heisman ceremony and it's done by the Zimbalist Brothers, who made The Two Escobars.

There have only been a handful of 30 for 30s that I've wanted to watch on their premieres (To The Limit, Broke, Big Shot). This will be the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Any thoughts on Youngstown Boys? I'd never heard the whole story outside what was presented on different news outlets in Central Ohio and had lost track of what happened. Clarett had become somewhat of a running joke in Ohio in the years since he fell off the map, complete with his washout with the Broncos.

It doesn't surprise me that Andy Geiger had the OSU Ego and threw Clarett under the bus to protect his own image. It's stuff like that and people like Gordon Gee (who really should've just shut the hell up about everything in general), Gene Smith (rear end in a top hat who probably should've gone down with Tressel), and Fickell ("We allowed 41 points against Michigan, but what went wrong with the defense? Did we win? Did we win?") that have helped me become disenchanted with OSU football in the last few years.

e- Combine that with the exorbitant requirements Clarett had to meet to even think of getting back onto the field with OSU. 3.5 with no tutors, punishment sprints, etc.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 15, 2013

• Locked thread