Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

dethslayer666 posted:

Major controversy beset Biden's candidacy, beginning on September 12, 1987 with high-profile articles in The New York Times and The Des Moines Register. Biden was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock, leader of the British Labour Party.

Biden had in fact cited Kinnock as the source for the formulation on previous occasions. But he made no reference to the original source at the August 23 Democratic debate at the Iowa State Fair being reported on, nor in an August 26 interview for the National Education Association. Moreover, while political speeches often appropriate ideas and language from each other, Biden's use came under more scrutiny because he fabricated aspects of his own family's background in order to match Kinnock's.

Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

comes along bort posted:

A lot of schools these days you can just cry in front of the prof and department chair and get your mom to call up angry a few times and they'll more often than not just let you redo the assignment.

It's part of the "student as customer" mindset that's infected higher ed ever since they started hiring business people as admin.

Anecdotal, but: when this would happen to me as a TA (at a large state school FWIW), I would just say "sorry sir/ma'am, I'm not permitted to discuss any aspect of your child's academic situation with you because of FERPA," which is not 100% true but none of them ever called my bluff. I had no problem giving zeros on major assignments or even failing them for the course for particularly egregious offenses.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Unless standards have really disintegrated, it is an automatic F.

Oh, and the fact that plagiarism is coming up in virtually everything Paul has written or said means that he is a clown no matter how good his staff is.

Oh don't get me wrong, at my university, police is automatic F for the assignment in question at a minimum, with referral and further action at instructor's discretion, but even of those I've referred to the Dean(s) I've never heard of any getting expelled. In all likelyhood, I was the first to bother filling out the appropriate forms and putting a black mark on those students' records, so who knows how many times before they'd skated on "just" a failed assignment.

comes along bort posted:

A lot of schools these days you can just cry in front of the prof and department chair and get your mom to call up angry a few times and they'll more often than not just let you redo the assignment.

It's part of the "student as customer" mindset that's infected higher ed ever since they started hiring business people as admin.

I won't deny this is a real and growing problem, but thankfully my department is populated by people who take higher education seriously and we don't tolerate that sort of poo poo. Also, we hate the administration as it's been infected by non-academics who've tried the whole "run the school like a business!" bullshit (resulting, in other things, in the closing of the French, Italian, Russian, Theater, and Classics departments for supposed budget reasons while the loving football team prepares for a new stadium), and so take any opportunity to remind those pricks that real academics still exist here.

This is growing tangential to Rand Paul, as much as I like talking about it, so I'll stop now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today in Joe Biden calling people.

quote:

Just minutes after the election returns arrived in Boston Tuesday night, Martin Walsh’s cellphone rang. It was the vice president of the United States, Joseph R. Biden, offering his congratulations.

“You son of a gun, Marty!” he thundered. “You did it!”

The only problem was, it was the wrong Marty Walsh.

Biden had called the cellphone of Marty Walsh, a former aide to US Senator Edward M. Kennedy who is now the president of Gateway Public Solutions, a government relations firm in Boston.

At the time, this Marty Walsh said, he was sitting on the couch with his wife at their home in Natick, watching the election results on television. Meanwhile, the other Marty Walsh, the one who had just been elected mayor of Boston, was at the Park Plaza Hotel, celebrating his victory.

The less-famous Marty Walsh said he thanked Biden for his kind words, but told him that he reached the wrong Marty. He offered to help the vice president track down the right one, the one who had just been elected mayor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I expected the Onion. I really did.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Joe Biden needs to be installed as VP until he dies... which will probably be when he tries jumping his trans-am corvette over the Grand Canyon. :patriot:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I think if the VP calls you and says you're Mayor of Boston, Boston should let you be mayor for one day. It's only fair.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ronald McReagan posted:

Anecdotal, but: when this would happen to me as a TA (at a large state school FWIW), I would just say "sorry sir/ma'am, I'm not permitted to discuss any aspect of your child's academic situation with you because of FERPA," which is not 100% true but none of them ever called my bluff. I had no problem giving zeros on major assignments or even failing them for the course for particularly egregious offenses.

You know who else would have no problem giving out zeroes and Fs on major assignments? Professor Rand Paul.

quote:

But Paul’s repentant tone ended there. In an interview with National Review Online on Capitol Hill, Paul was furious, especially with the press coverage of the allegations. “It annoys the hell out of me,” Paul said. “I feel like if I could just go to detention after school for a couple days, then everything would be okay. But do I have to be in detention for the rest of my career?”

Moving forward, Paul said he would speak out more against media outlets that are covering him, especially if he feels unfairly targeted. His once warm relations with the Fourth Estate have chilled. “I’m being criticized for not having proper attribution, and yet they are able to write stuff that if I were their journalism teacher in college, I would fail them,” he said.

That's from an article by Robert Costa Who Is Actually Doing Good Reporting, so Rand is complaining to National Review about bad journalism. Maybe Rand can apply for a Professorship at Howard University and teach a journalism course about how reporters have failed to mention for the last fifty years that the Republican Party freed the slaves.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, Rand is losing his cool over this. Want to capitalize on this, Cruz?

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I hope these things just keep trickling out at a clip of one or two a week for the next 12 months. Reminds me of that set of pictures where the guy kept slightly altering another dude's face in his facebook pictures and he was just apoplectic by the end of it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also today in Joe Biden calling people.

quote:

Despite efforts by the political advocacy group Americans for Prosperity to influence the outcome of Tuesday’s election in Coralville [Iowa], three incumbent candidates were elected to another term.

John Lundell was elected mayor while incumbents Tom Gill and Bill Hoeft along with newcomer Laurie Goodrich won seats on the City Council in what was a record-breaking election for Coralville, according to unofficial results from the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

Shortly after ballots were counted Tuesday, Lundell said he received a surprise phone call from Vice President Joe Biden.

“He indicated that he was very proud of our city, that we took on the Koch brothers and successfully beat them buy such a huge margin,” Lundell said. “That was another aspect of this election that was unanticipated, that after the polls closed that I’d be speaking to the vice president of the United States.”

Basically, if Joe Biden didn't call you last night, you're kind of a loser. Sorry guys!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Joementum posted:

Basically, if Joe Biden didn't call you last night, you're kind of a loser. Sorry guys!

What if Joe tried to call you, but got the wrong guy?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joe Biden should start calling one random person every night just to chat for a few minutes. That is pretty much the best thing for him to do.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I would love to just shoot the poo poo with Joe Biden one night.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Washington Times cancelled Rand Paul's column due to the plagiarism charge, leading to the question, "Wow, if your column is too lovely for the Washington Times, where do you go?" The answer is obvious.

quote:

Breitbart News Network is pleased to announce that it will be the new home of Kentucky Senator Rand Paul's editorial column.

Paul, a Tea Party favorite and son of former libertarian Congressman Ron Paul, is widely perceived as one of the frontrunners for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016.

Breitbart News reported last month that it has gone through a period of exponential growth. The conservative media outlet has surpassed websites such as Politico, the Daily Beast, and The Washington Times, according to web traffic analytics firm Alexa.

Doug Stafford, a political aide to the Senator, told Breitbart that "Paul is pleased to partner with Breitbart News and looks forward to the new, wider audience for his columns."

Welcome home, Randy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Why the gently caress would Rand Paul alienate, of all places, National Review.

Place could barely be better suited for the guy.

Bill Buckley is rolling over in his pit.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sorry if I gave that impression with sloppy phrasing. Rand was complaining to National Review of bad journalism by (mostly) BuzzFeed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ah, okay. The crusade against "haters" continues, then.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Hillary got the endorsement of MN Governor Mark Dayton today. He endorsed her for president back in 2005 too, he makes sure to get his press releases out early.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Robert Costa Who Is Actually Doing Good Reporting gets a scoop from former NJ Gov Tom Kean Sr on his way out the door at NRO.

quote:

For the moment, Kean believes New Hampshire may be at the top of the list for Christie’s political team. “The talk, frankly, around the Christie group is that New Hampshire is our state, but it’s too early to talk about a firewall,” he says. “Chris just won reelection, he’s popular, and there is a sense he would be able to compete everywhere.”

Ah yes, the New Hampshire strategy. 100% of the times it works none of the times.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Silly Joementum, Christie's got the 2016 election triangulated already.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Biden called the wrong Marty Walsh to congratulate him on becoming the Mayor of Boston. So then he called another number and left a voicemail. Well, guess what kiddos....

quote:

Now, a HuffPost reader named Toni has come forward to say that she too got a call from Biden Tuesday night, congratulating her on becoming mayor.

The call came in a little past 10:00 p.m. She let it go to voicemail, thinking it was odd that an unknown caller from Washington, D.C., was calling at that hour. Shortly thereafter, she listened to the message:

quote:

Mr. Mayor, congratulations. Marty, this is Joe Biden. Nice to see you win and nice to see Labor win. Anything I can do to help you from the White House in terms of your needs in Boston, holler man. Congratulations. Enjoy the night.

The whole thing was bizarre, Toni admitted. HuffPost withheld her surname at her request, but it isn't even close to Walsh. And she doesn't live in Boston anymore.

There's a recording at the link, in case you want to hear the Vice President of the United States say, "holler man".

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
This is exactly like that Oprah show. "You get to be mayor! YOU get to be mayor! EVERYBODY GETS TO BE MAYOR!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

"holler man".

Thought this was a summary of the general tone of his message and was pleasantly surprised to find that he actually left a voicemail with the words "holler man."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rick Perry is visiting Iowa tonight and Chuck Grassley is gettin' sassy with his twitter trolls.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Joe Biden called the wrong Marty Walsh to congratulate him on becoming the Mayor of Boston. So then he called another number and left a voicemail. Well, guess what kiddos....

Did Biden ever actually reach the mayor-elect or is he still dialing every number in Boston trying to congratulate him?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

The whole thing was bizarre, Toni admitted. HuffPost withheld her surname at her request, but it isn't even close to Walsh. And she doesn't live in Boston anymore.

Can we please make "Joe Biden Vice President for life" the 28th Amendment?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Joementum posted:

I can sort of see this happening once, but after that first time why didn't he just have a staffer find out the correct number for him? :wtc:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

Ah yes, the New Hampshire strategy. 100% of the times it works none of the times.
Didn't it work for McCain fairly well, the second time he tried it that is?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PrBacterio posted:

I can sort of see this happening once, but after that first time why didn't he just have a staffer find out the correct number for him? :wtc:

Folks, it's because it's a big loving deal that he literally do it himself. Literally.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DynamicSloth posted:

Didn't it work for McCain fairly well, the second time he tried it that is?

McCain's surprise win over Huckabee in South Carolina is what made him the frontrunner.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You still have to play in Iowa*, but I was being too hard on Christie because there's nothing in that piece that indicates he won't play. He'll have to at least get his toes wet out there though.

* May not apply in years when Tom Harkin is running

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

comes along bort posted:

McCain's surprise win over Huckabee in South Carolina is what made him the frontrunner.
Yeah but he had to bet everything on New Hampshire to even get to SC. Obviously no one wraps up the nomination by winning only New Hampshire.

Joementum posted:

You still have to play in Iowa*, but I was being too hard on Christie because there's nothing in that piece that indicates he won't play. He'll have to at least get his toes wet out there though.

McCain didn't play in Iowa he just did surprisingly well for a guy who avoided the state like the plague.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Rick Perry is visiting Iowa tonight and Chuck Grassley is gettin' sassy with his twitter trolls.

Grassley is going to get Perry nice and drunk/stoned?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

McCain didn't play in Iowa he just did surprisingly well for a guy who avoided the state like the plague.

He spent equal to Huckabee in the state ~$1.5m and visited it, this just got obscured because the bigger story was Romney dumping his personal fortune in the cornfields and wiping out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah but he had to bet everything on New Hampshire to even get to SC. Obviously no one wraps up the nomination by winning only New Hampshire.

In addition to what Joementum said, he spent a lot of time and money in Michigan and South Carolina while working New Hampshire to blunt Romney and Huckabee's impact repsectively. It wasn't a total hail mary.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Joementum posted:

Robert Costa Who Is Actually Doing Good Reporting gets a scoop from former NJ Gov Tom Kean Sr on his way out the door at NRO.

Not sure the source here is the greatest. There's a lot of weird history between Kean and Christie; Christie did get his starts as a kid on Kean's campaigns, and Kean is something of a mentor, but Kean's definitely not an inner circle guy. Christie just supported a failed coup attempt in the Republican state senate leadership on Tom Kean Jr. the other day, actually.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Yeah, now there's talk that Kean could throw a wrench into the Christie/Norcross alliance too, that could screw up Christie's bipartisan message bigtime. FYI, Kean is probably the head of the pack now for 2017 Governor contenders, I'd say it's 50/50 him or the D field.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

I sort of worry that if Christie spends too much time at Iowa fairgrounds or dinners or whatever, someone will try various fat-shaming hits when he does the usual corn-dog photo op or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stormagetiton posted:

I sort of worry that if Christie spends too much time at Iowa fairgrounds or dinners or whatever, someone will try various fat-shaming hits when he does the usual corn-dog photo op or whatever.

That was a given.

• Locked thread