Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For reals. I went ballistic and lets just say the metal weakness of dark elves is grossly exaggerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lotish posted:

I wonder: Is there any indication that you can only use medals on characters who were actually used in a mission? Or can you buff a rookie sitting in the barracks with all the accolades his senior officers have collected so he can roll out with the best changes of being a superstar?
The process for awarding a medal looked like it could go to anyone, though in the TotalBiscuit video where he shows it he didn't scroll down to his rookies.

I wouldn't want to put them on rookies though. The bonuses are pretty small or situational, so it wouldn't make a rookie suddenly twice as survivable. Sounds mostly like a way to lose a lot of medals in one go. Though maybe if did both meld gene mods *and* medals you could roll out a rookie supersoldier. Would be a fun gimmick, but I doubt it's a good strat.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Would be cool if there were additional mechanics to stop countries bailing out of XCOM. Perhaps a last ditch virtually impossible mission, or straight up bribe them with soldiers

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

dud root posted:

Would be cool if there were additional mechanics to stop countries bailing out of XCOM. Perhaps a last ditch virtually impossible mission, or straight up bribe them with soldiers

Or what if you could even win them back?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Kill their leaders and burn their cities to the ground.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lotish posted:

I wonder: Is there any indication that you can only use medals on characters who were actually used in a mission? Or can you buff a rookie sitting in the barracks with all the accolades his senior officers have collected so he can roll out with the best chances of being a superstar?

From videos, it looks like when you earn medals you can award them to whoever you want.

E: Oh there was another page that beats me :/

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
So I had a rather good first batch of psi experimentees. All of them are part of my A-team as well. :getin:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I'm going through Classic Ironman again, this time with some of the 2nd wave stuff like the one that gives random stats and random upgrades. I got my best psi-guy up to 189 Will with a combination of psi armor + psi helmet + inspiration power + combat drug smoke. With that high of Will, and another psi character mind fraying an ethereal, he had 100% chance to mind control it.

Wow.

Got the 'Xavier' achievement, and saw that they get 5 psionic powers. Some psionic lance which does extra damage to things with low will, the standard mind fray and mind control, as well as a power that lets you leech life from a friendly, and rift. That final power you get in the game, they just get when you mind control them. Soooo glad they never use it.

Also, I had a mission called Hot Gaze. Sexy.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Stratafyre posted:

I just bought X-Com, on a whim... I spent 32 of the past 54 hours playing it :suicide:

Thanks for the play time stats, Steam!

This game is the first one in a very, very long time that made me completely lose track of time. I play a LOT of games and always have at least a partial awareness of "it's getting late" or "almost time for dinner" or something, but I sat down with XCOM at about 9:30 the night I really got started, and the next thing I knew it was after 1:30am.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I'm in my Classic Ironman game, just playing around fully maxed out waiting to do the final mission. My current goal: Have a whole team of psionic colonels. I'm hiring 20 recruits at a time, going through their stats and rejecting any with wills lower than 50, and kicking out any snipers or heavies, as I already have two psionic snipers and one psionic heavy colonel who is sitting safely at home.

I just send out my psionic sniper colonel to babysit a bunch of mid level members to rank them up. I let them fight, and if they can't mop things up, the sniper either double taps whatever, or mind controls one. With everyone in ghost armor with that purple carapace item, no one's actually died in a long time.

I have something like 7 colonels, sadly only two have psychic ability.

I just wish I could build more psionic labs, as checking 3 people every 10 days is kind of boring.

Classic Ironman is only really hard the first two or three months. Once you get anything plasma, it's easy.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

Rush satellites and equip your Sidhe Lords with lasers before your first terror mission.

Make this the title for the new EW thread, please.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Ravendas posted:

and rift. That final power you get in the game, they just get when you mind control them. Soooo glad they never use it.

Oh, but they do.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Oh, but they do.

I've never seen it used. I've seen them mind control, mind fray, and I just saw the psychic lance in use (against a heavy muton I MC'd, 16 damage he did!) Rift? That'd be scary.

Then again, I usually prepare well for fighting ethereals and they tend to die in the first round. This one somehow wandered out of his control room of the large ship he was in and was halfway down the cargo area before I encountered him and his guard.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Man I don't think I've ever seen them use rift either. They should be doing that more often :colbert:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I'm in my Classic Ironman game, just playing around fully maxed out waiting to do the final mission. My current goal: Have a whole team of psionic colonels. I'm hiring 20 recruits at a time, going through their stats and rejecting any with wills lower than 50, and kicking out any snipers or heavies, as I already have two psionic snipers and one psionic heavy colonel who is sitting safely at home.

http://imgur.com/a/yv3ta :smug: Temple ship never knew what hit it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

S.J. posted:

Man I don't think I've ever seen them use rift either. They should be doing that more often :colbert:
Yeah the only time I see them using rift is when I have them MC'ed.

Gato posted:

http://imgur.com/a/yv3ta :smug: Temple ship never knew what hit it.
gently caress you Zhang

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

zylche posted:

gently caress you Zhang

At least you can finally customise him with bright pink armour in EW, or make him into a MEC trooper. I never really got the complaints about him being a Mary Sue or whatever - sure it sucks that Slingshot was 3 scripted missions, but Zhang's basically no different from Anna Sing or Thomas Hutch or the other named VIPs, except that he joins you.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Gato posted:

At least you can finally customise him with bright pink armour in EW, or make him into a MEC trooper. I never really got the complaints about him being a Mary Sue or whatever - sure it sucks that Slingshot was 3 scripted missions, but Zhang's basically no different from Anna Sing or Thomas Hutch or the other named VIPs, except that he joins you.

For a lot of people "Mary Sue" just means "character I don't like."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With Enemy Within they said that EXALT won't show up until after the alien base or so, right? Does that mean that early satellite rushing will still work without much issue?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I've been hit with Rift. Killed two of my men and really wounded another. Maybe they only use it when you're bunched up in a certain way.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Darkhold posted:

I've been hit with Rift. Killed two of my men and really wounded another. Maybe they only use it when you're bunched up in a certain way.

That would make sense if they treat it like a grenade.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Darkhold posted:

Yep. I think they only employ it if they can hit like 3 or more, but you shoulda stopped bunching up your dudes around the time of the first muton. :v:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Gato posted:

Eh, I think it's mostly just his intro scene--he shows up your guys, and that's not cool.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, I think it's mostly just his intro scene--he shows up your guys, and that's not cool.

I don't know, most of my squad is in the rookie to corporal range on that mission, so it's par for the course that they gently caress up something simple. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BenRGamer posted:

But to be a mary sue he'd have to have SOME personality, bad or otherwise. The dude has maybe three lines total because he can die like any other trooper.

My issue with that cut scene was that he threw away the pistol rather than being a proto-operative that could actually defend himself on the way to the evac point.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Had a first last night: uncovered two Sectopods with the first member of the six-person crew and managed two kill both without having Plasma Sniper Rifles or Alloy Cannons.

Thanks, Heavies!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

He can 1-shot Sectoids with a pistol, I think it's justified.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was kind of weirded out at his stats.

So, according to the manual, you hire the best of the best spec ops. You know, Spetsnaz, SAS, SEAL 6, that kinda thing.

Then you get a random triad member and he's better than them. Quite probably at everything, assuming you didn't turn on random stats.

Did Wei Shen change Sun On Yee hiring policies that much? And if so, why aren't we recruiting gangsters for everything?

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

zylche posted:

gently caress you Zhang
I just want to quote this because I literally said that out loud when I saw that image, and I imagine that every XCOM player worth their salt said/thought the same thing :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

I was kind of weirded out at his stats.

So, according to the manual, you hire the best of the best spec ops. You know, Spetsnaz, SAS, SEAL 6, that kinda thing.

Then you get a random triad member and he's better than them. Quite probably at everything, assuming you didn't turn on random stats.

Did Wei Shen change Sun On Yee hiring policies that much? And if so, why aren't we recruiting gangsters for everything?

Those best-of-the-best spec ops you hire have coinflip chances to shoot sectoids hiding behind wooden fences with light machine guns and assault rifles. Sometimes they will burst into gibbering panic when they get winged(2 damage) by a plasma bolt and freak out to the point where they level their gun at an innocent civilian standing in the opposite direction as the shots and open fire. Occasionally you'll have them manage to shoot a rocket 20 meters wide of the intended target as though they tripped while shooting.

It's best not to analyze it too much.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The only thing that's bumming me out about this Xpack is no proper agent class. Someone you can hire (no need to waste your regular soldiers for a mission type that will end when you end the threat) to go undercover for the team with his own special abilities that level up if you keep him alive for a few missions.

As it is it just seems a waste that you either have to build a guy with good pistol abilities or throw someone not built for it at the mission and have them be pretty useless for most of it.

A freelance James Bond/Jason Bourne class would be fun I think.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Darkhold posted:

The only thing that's bumming me out about this Xpack is no proper agent class. Someone you can hire (no need to waste your regular soldiers for a mission type that will end when you end the threat) to go undercover for the team with his own special abilities that level up if you keep him alive for a few missions.

As it is it just seems a waste that you either have to build a guy with good pistol abilities or throw someone not built for it at the mission and have them be pretty useless for most of it.

The real shame about that is no english/aussie accent voices.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

My issue with that cut scene was that he threw away the pistol rather than being a proto-operative that could actually defend himself on the way to the evac point.

Since EW has the extraction missions I'm wondering if they might change slingshot so he does just that. The functionality is there.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Eh, Gunslinger is standard issue on most Snipers already, isn't it? It's hardly like you're building speciality operatives for it, is it? And what would you even do for an Agent class, anyway? Assault-style defense boosts plus right-hand Support improvements to Overwatch maybe a machine gun pistol plus Suppression? Doesn't seem like there's much room in the game for it, given that you'll probably be running 6-8 total Covert Ops missions per game.

Plus the Gunslinger advantage encourages you to risk relatively high-ranking Snipers in situations with apparently low survivability, which sounds like it could be fun and hilariously agonizing when/if one gets offed without advanced armor and plasma sniper rifles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Those best-of-the-best spec ops you hire have coinflip chances to shoot sectoids hiding behind wooden fences with light machine guns and assault rifles. Sometimes they will burst into gibbering panic when they get winged(2 damage) by a plasma bolt and freak out to the point where they level their gun at an innocent civilian standing in the opposite direction as the shots and open fire. Occasionally you'll have them manage to shoot a rocket 20 meters wide of the intended target as though they tripped while shooting.

It's best not to analyze it too much.
I'm still convinced that all your Rookies are really soldiers who couldn't make the cut for GI Joe, lured by the promise of laser battles and silly nicknames.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HaitianDivorce posted:

Eh, Gunslinger is standard issue on most Snipers already, isn't it? It's hardly like you're building speciality operatives for it, is it? And what would you even do for an Agent class, anyway? Assault-style defense boosts plus right-hand Support improvements to Overwatch maybe a machine gun pistol plus Suppression? Doesn't seem like there's much room in the game for it, given that you'll probably be running 6-8 total Covert Ops missions per game.

Plus the Gunslinger advantage encourages you to risk relatively high-ranking Snipers in situations with apparently low survivability, which sounds like it could be fun and hilariously agonizing when/if one gets offed without advanced armor and plasma sniper rifles.

Yeah totally don't see a reason for an agent class. Snipers should function fine there. Honestly the only thing I think would be neat is an offensive based class that actually uses the heavy machine gun/laser/plasma weapons to do damage, since heavies have such poo poo accuracy. If mine aren't firing a rocket they're using suppression.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

year199X posted:

The real shame about that is no english/aussie accent voices.

I want those, but only if they are done by 2-bit American voice actors trying to emulate the accent. We also need a proper Canadian accent.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

HaitianDivorce posted:

And what would you even do for an Agent class, anyway?
Perks for number of turns it takes to hack the console. Pistol headshots. Extra movement points. Extra durability when you're not wearing armor. Two pistol shots per turn. Cloak when you're behind full cover. All sorts of ways to create a character that excels at the things the agent is supposed to do while boosting what they are limited to. You could load them up with all sorts of crazy one off abilities that wouldn't make sense in the rest of the game but fun and give an even more unique flavour to those missions.

As it is you just end up with a gimped solider. Which is fine in the 'hard tradeoff' philosophy but kinda dull gameplay-wise IMO.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SeaTard posted:

We also need a proper Canadian accent.
Which should really just be whatever the regular American accent says with "EH?????" thrown in at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

Which should really just be whatever the regular American accent says with "EH?????" thrown in at the end.

And some aboots, of course.

• Locked thread