Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

AlexDeGruven posted:

They don't really crack down at this point, and IIRC the only ones who have gotten taken to task for it are the ones who are really abusive about it.

Essentially, tethering on the 700MHz spectrum (which is Verizon's LTE) cannot be restricted due to the deal that Verizon signed in order to get their grubby mitts on it. They were granted a concession in that they could come down on unlimited users for tethering, but they're not allowed to discriminate between regular and tethering data on tiered plans. This includes blocking 3rd party tethering apps, which circumvent the pay-to-play tethering app on Verizon phones.

Okay. In practical terms as an unlimited user, say I'm on a long train or bus ride and want data access on my iPad. Typically I'll pop out the sim card from my phone and plop it in there because I guess I've always just presumed that this is "safer" from a monitoring/multiple device usage standpoint. Is there any reason to think that tethering using a 3rd party app or otherwise bypassing Verizon's subscription check would be more likely to draw their ire than swapping sims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bam thwok posted:

Okay. In practical terms as an unlimited user, say I'm on a long train or bus ride and want data access on my iPad. Typically I'll pop out the sim card from my phone and plop it in there because I guess I've always just presumed that this is "safer" from a monitoring/multiple device usage standpoint. Is there any reason to think that tethering using a 3rd party app or otherwise bypassing Verizon's subscription check would be more likely to draw their ire than swapping sims?

I wouldn't think twice about it, myself, but that's me. I tether periodically all the time, even on devices with SIM slots because I don't want to bother with swapping my SIM around, etc.

YMMV, but as I said, as long as you aren't abusive about it, Verizon won't do anything, provided they even notice at all.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am on unlimited and I use an average of 45GB/mo while tethering and there's been no problem.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm on unlimited using anywhere from 50-100 gigs/mo of 4G for a couple years now no trouble.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
Well color me convinced.

edit: also holy poo poo you guys, are you just straight up using your phones as 4g modems for home internet and sucking down netflix on it or what?

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 5, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bam thwok posted:

Well color me convinced.

edit: also holy poo poo you guys, are you just straight up using your phones as 4g modems for home internet and sucking down netflix on it or what?

When I was working a job I could take my laptop to, I did the same poo poo. Netflix/Steam games/anything else that kept me sane.

It goes fast when you're using it and have a solid connection.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

bam thwok posted:

Well color me convinced.

Yeah that's what I wonder as well. I'm that guy that wants unlimited because I might go hit 10GB one month. Then you guys here are telling me you usually pull 40GB+ a month and I'm just going holy poo poo.

And no don't you fuckers turn this into a debate about tiered data. No one gives enough of a poo poo here and we've already been through it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I moved to a place with terrible DSL service and my Verizon phone is the only thing that offers consistent uptime so I tend to use that over my DSL connection when gaming.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

bam thwok posted:

Well color me convinced.

:magical: ffs can we not have this discussion again?

People use phones differently than your perspective which is not accurate for anyone other than you. If you cannot comprehend what you consider huge data usage then you simply do not understand it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:magical: ffs can we not have this discussion again?

People use phones differently than your perspective which is not accurate for anyone other than you. If you cannot comprehend what you consider huge data usage then you simply do not understand it.

To be fair, it seemed to be a question of usage and not that they're data vampires sucking the life out of unlimited.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It's safe to say that the majority of unlimited data goons that post in this thread are "power" users. I have also yet to see anyone post that big red has cracked down on them for usage, be it tethering, streaming, etc.

I've tethered both on rooted Android and a jailbroken iPhone and never heard a peep from VZW. I now average about 8-10GB/month and I've gone as high as 40GB-45GB a few times over the past few years. My high data usage tended to coincide with travel and new game releases when I was on lovely cable.

Edit: My high over the past 6 months is 17 GB and that was due to the fact I was travelling most of that month.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 6, 2013

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I just think of my unlimited data plan as internet health insurance. I haven't used more than 3GB in the past six months, but it's nice to know I'm covered in case of catastrophic bandwidth emergencies.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does Google voice not work on verizon? I just want speech to text on my voice mail :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does Google voice not work on verizon? I just want speech to text on my voice mail :(

It works fine (well, as fine as google voice works in general). You just have to setup the forward to it instead of normal voicemail.

effpee
Nov 19, 2004
Hello Verizon thread! So, my wife and I have had two lines, bouncing between the 700-minute and the 1400-minute plans. My line has unlimited data. Hers has 2gb.

My wife called Verizon the other day with a litany of complaints. We had a third line that was supposed to be cancelled last month, but was not; when she switched from 1400 to 700 minutes, no one told her she would lose her "five", or whatever it's called; I'm jumping ship to Sprint as soon as my Nexus 5 arrives; more stuff I can't remember.

The end result of all this complaining was that the rep offered her a pretty sweet deal: $73-a-month for her line with unlimited talk and text and 6gb of data. I don't follow this stuff all that closely, but that seems quite a bit better than anything I've seen Verizon advertise. According to my wife, it was a special offer the rep made to keep her from leaving.

So my question is this: Is a real plan that Verizon offers? I mean, she apparently has it now, but will it survive the imminent cancellation of my line? What about when she upgrades her phone? A big part of her complaints was that one rep would tell her one thing on one call, and then another would tell her that thing was impossible on the next call. Is that going to happen to this plan next time she calls?

Appreciate any insight you folks can give. Thanks!

Chexxum
Sep 24, 2002

Jesus Krist is :cool:
Droid Maxx is back down to $99 on Amazon. I'm planning on doing the family plan swap thing to keep unlimited data on my line and I had a couple of questions. I used the upgrade on a dumbphone line which I had to switch to the 2GB/month package, is it even necessary to first activate the Maxx on the tiered line or can I just go ahead and activate it on my unlimited line? Also, I'm upgrading from a Thunderbolt which has a larger SIM card that won't fit into the Maxx, do I need to get a new SIM card to safely activate the Maxx on the unlimited line?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Chexxum posted:

Droid Maxx is back down to $99 on Amazon. I'm planning on doing the family plan swap thing to keep unlimited data on my line and I had a couple of questions. I used the upgrade on a dumbphone line which I had to switch to the 2GB/month package, is it even necessary to first activate the Maxx on the tiered line or can I just go ahead and activate it on my unlimited line? Also, I'm upgrading from a Thunderbolt which has a larger SIM card that won't fit into the Maxx, do I need to get a new SIM card to safely activate the Maxx on the unlimited line?
You do need to activate it on the dumbphone line first. You can cut down the SIM card to fit, there's guides on exactly how to do this, but you can go to a Verizon store and just have them give you a new one for free. If you cancel the 2GB data plan on the dumbphone line after doing the switcheroo Amazon might hit you with a secondary early termination fee, so you are better off ordering from Verizon directly unless you want another smart phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

effpee posted:

I'm jumping ship to Sprint as soon as my Nexus 5 arrives; more stuff I can't remember.
Why the hell would you go from the best national carrier to the worst?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Who would in their right mind call any carrier in the US the best national carrier?

Every one of them is poo poo, just in a different way.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Who would in their right mind call any carrier in the US the best national carrier?

Yeah, but Sprint is a special kind of bad. Unless you happen to live in an area where they have a barely-used LTE tower with a magical backhaul setup that allows them to actually provide decent speed.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, but Sprint is a special kind of bad. Unless you happen to live in an area where they have a barely-used LTE tower with a magical backhaul setup that allows them to actually provide decent speed.

I live in such a town and Sprint has great LTE speeds...

If you are on the main drag and have line of site of the water tower the LTE is transmitted from.

effpee
Nov 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Because based on Sensorly and anecdotal evidence from my friends and co-workers, Sprint 's coverage in my area is pretty good. I don't harbor any illusion that it will be as good as Verizon's, but the gap is small enough, and I leave the area infrequently enough, that I'm willing to trade that for a cheaper plan and the ability to buy subsidized phones again.

I wasn't looking to start a carrier fanboy pissing match. I was just looking for some insight into whether this plan a Verizon employee offered my wife is for real, or if it's going to disappear the next time she calls, or tries to renew, or hell, on her next bill, as has happened to her as recently as the last billing cycle. As you might be able to guess, I don't exactly agree with your assessment of Verizon as the best national carrier.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I live in such a town and Sprint has great LTE speeds...

If you are on the main drag and have line of site of the water tower the LTE is transmitted from.

I have one spot in my town where my Sprint S4 can pull 20Mbit. If I move 15 feet to the east, it drops to 900KB/sec and my VZW S3 gets 40 in that same spot.

This has no bearing on anything, really. I just wish Sprint could get their poo poo together from the backhaul standpoint.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I decided not to comment earlier but all I'll say is that I can actually use data where I live now after switching from Sprint to Verizon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

True, but at this particular time, Sprint has basically nothing going for it unless you happen to live in Nebraska where there is zero T-Mobile coverage.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I also sell Sprint and the signal is so bad I can't even activate the phones. I have to turn on a Verizon display phone's hotspot and activate via their connection.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

True, but at this particular time, Sprint has basically nothing going for it unless you happen to live in Nebraska where there is zero T-Mobile coverage.
I've always to ask this to you Omaha guys -- does iWireless work there?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

So I've been wanting to switch over to Verizon for quite awhile now (from Sprint), is there a way I can order this via Amazon and port my number over from Sprint? I'd like to get on my girlfriend's Verizon account, she already has two lines (one she doesn't use anymore, both are eligible for upgrade)

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

averox posted:

To be fair, it seemed to be a question of usage and not that they're data vampires sucking the life out of unlimited.

Yeah, I was just curious about how bold people were being with tethering on unlimited, since I've always inexplicably been afraid of Verizon bringing down the Terms-of-Service violation hammer.

God damnit

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chexxum posted:

It's $69 right now if you add a line. So so so tempting, anyone confirm if you will get hit with the secondary termination fee if you swap it to a dumbphone?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ok, I'm a verizon customer who's 2 years are up and I can get a new phone subsidized. I want to do that, and have my mom join me on one of these share everything plans. She isn't a verizon customer, and my question is can we both get new phones subsidized and be on the same plan together, or do you only get one phone per plan?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Bramble posted:

Ok, I'm a verizon customer who's 2 years are up and I can get a new phone subsidized. I want to do that, and have my mom join me on one of these share everything plans. She isn't a verizon customer, and my question is can we both get new phones subsidized and be on the same plan together, or do you only get one phone per plan?

You get one phone per line. So yes, both you and your mom can get a new phone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kensei posted:

It's $69 right now if you add a line. So so so tempting, anyone confirm if you will get hit with the secondary termination fee if you swap it to a dumbphone?

I did exactly this about a year and a half ago and it worked perfectly. The data package was on the line for less than five minutes before I downgraded it and activated the phone on my line.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

kensei posted:

Double god damnit. I paid $300 for this awesome thing six weeks ago. This is the fastest price drop on a phone I think I've ever seen than wasn't an utter piece of junk.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Thinking about signing another 2-year for that Maxx deal. Amazon doesn't transfer upgrades between lines so I'm hoping a simple phone call to Verizon will allow this to happen. Maybe I'm being too optimistic

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

effpee posted:

Hello Verizon thread! So, my wife and I have had two lines, bouncing between the 700-minute and the 1400-minute plans. My line has unlimited data. Hers has 2gb.

My wife called Verizon the other day with a litany of complaints. We had a third line that was supposed to be cancelled last month, but was not; when she switched from 1400 to 700 minutes, no one told her she would lose her "five", or whatever it's called; I'm jumping ship to Sprint as soon as my Nexus 5 arrives; more stuff I can't remember.

The end result of all this complaining was that the rep offered her a pretty sweet deal: $73-a-month for her line with unlimited talk and text and 6gb of data. I don't follow this stuff all that closely, but that seems quite a bit better than anything I've seen Verizon advertise. According to my wife, it was a special offer the rep made to keep her from leaving.

So my question is this: Is a real plan that Verizon offers? I mean, she apparently has it now, but will it survive the imminent cancellation of my line? What about when she upgrades her phone? A big part of her complaints was that one rep would tell her one thing on one call, and then another would tell her that thing was impossible on the next call. Is that going to happen to this plan next time she calls?

Appreciate any insight you folks can give. Thanks!

Yep its a loyalty plan with the 6GB data package added on.

Its a decent deal compared to what the normal single user plans are.

Also: If you are dead set on a Nexus 5, you have AT&T with much better coverage and T-Mobile with cheap plans. Why on earth sprint?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Thinking about signing another 2-year for that Maxx deal. Amazon doesn't transfer upgrades between lines so I'm hoping a simple phone call to Verizon will allow this to happen. Maybe I'm being too optimistic
I was able to do this but it's not simple. I used the online chat and a customer service person was able to let me activate the phone on the line I wanted rather than the one with the upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

Also: If you are dead set on a Nexus 5, you have AT&T with much better coverage and T-Mobile with cheap plans. Why on earth sprint?
There's also AIO prepaid which is AT&T's prepaid. It'll have much better coverage and likely better speeds, even being capped at 8 Mbps, than Sprint in actual usage. The only advantage to Sprint is that they still offer unlimited data, but what is the point of unlimited if it's too slow to really be used? (And T-Mobile has a $70 unlimited everything plan.)

effpee
Nov 19, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Yep its a loyalty plan with the 6GB data package added on.

Its a decent deal compared to what the normal single user plans are.

Thanks for the info.

Sheesh, I didn't realize Sprint was so reviled. Since so many people commented, it was between Sprint and T-Mobile because I stream a lot of poo poo and unlimited data is important to me. I know people with Sprint and Sensorly has lots of test results showing it with not great, but good enough speed throughout my area. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile, Sensorly has practically no data on them in this area, and T-Mobile's own coverage map claims "satisfactory" LTE coverage in most of the area. So I went with Sprint. I'll find out Friday if I made a terrible choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could always get a SIM card from T-Mo, sign up for a one-day plan and try out speeds in various places. This makes far more sense than locking yourself into a two-year plan without even trying.

• Locked thread