Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

EC posted:

Wow they made the official Twitter app into a cluttered piece of poo poo.

What's the latest and greatest 3rd party app? I've used Tweetbot in the past, and maybe one more, but it's been awhile.

Tweetbot or Twitterific seem to be the front runners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Is there an app that lets you post to Twitter and Facebook simultaneously? TweetDeck USED to support this, but of course, Twitter shuttered the Facebook features in a hurry when it bought out the app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nihiliste posted:

Is there an app that lets you post to Twitter and Facebook simultaneously? TweetDeck USED to support this, but of course, Twitter shuttered the Facebook features in a hurry when it bought out the app.

https://ifttt.com/recipes/104199

Don't know about an actual app but this works.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Xabi posted:

What's the best app for becoming a better chess player? I don't think playing online would help me much (I know the basics, but whenever I play online I lose within 2 min) but rather against the computer with some sort of help/tips along the way. Is there any such apps?

t Chess Pro.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

You can link your Twitter account so that anything you post on Twitter via any app will repost to Facebook. I can't remember exactly how, but I think it was from the Twitter.com settings.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Nihiliste posted:

Buffer will do this.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Going with IFTTT for now, but what I was hoping for was a native app that can replace TweetDeck. Ah well...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nihiliste posted:

I use Everypost. It's free, and it supports Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pintrest, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Dropbox, and e-mail.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
IFTTT works in the "background" in the sense that you can set up the rule then delete the app and just let it do its thing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Or setup the recipe on the web and don't even go through the phone.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

I use Everypost. It's free, and it supports Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pintrest, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Dropbox, and e-mail.

Ah nuts, iPhone only. I've got an iPad Air.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Nihiliste posted:

Ah nuts, iPhone only. I've got an iPad Air.

You can run all iPhone apps on the iPad. Just change the drop down in search to be iPhone only instead of iPad only.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FlashBangBob posted:

You can run all iPhone apps on the iPad. Just change the drop down in search to be iPhone only instead of iPad only.
There are some iPhone apps that won't run on an iPad because of some semi-hidden BS requirement like "must have a flash". I can only think of one example (The World Ends With You by Square Enix) which was obviously to make users pay to have two versions because more money.

These are the exceptions rather than the standard, however. If you do have an app that refuses to show up on your iPad when searching that may be the culprit, dig a little online to verify because usually these exceptions have lots of people griping about them.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Nihiliste posted:

HootSuite lets you do this. You sign in under an account on their system and add your networks. It copies over to the web client too. I just started playing with it yesterday again because I wanted to use scheduled tweets which it supports.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've been hesitant to buy AVPlayerHD, mostly because of its stupid name, but I'm really impressed. I wasted so much time converting videos with Subler and Handbrake before, but AVPlayer has played every random internet file I've thrown at it. The only problem I've had is audio getting slightly out of sync with AC3 files, but there's an alignment feature too.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
I just discovered Seamless, which is an iOS and Mac app which will fade out what's playing on your iOS device and fade it in on your Mac's iTunes seamlessly, or vice versa... that is, if it worked. It's completely nonfunctional on iOS7 and doesn't look like it's going to be fixed according to the developer's blog. I'm really surprised that this seems to be the only app that does this but I haven't found any others, do any exist?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
yo what are some pro driving apps?

poo poo like finding places to park (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/aa-parking/id365260102?mt=8 is the first one i could find, lmao @ theres like 10 rows of lovely parking games before any real actual apps. gg)

and some sort of petrol sharing app? so you can figure out how much friends owe you for petrol or whatever based on mileage.

i guess one for local petrol prices would be good too actually

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Google finally updated Drive for iOS 7 support, single sign on for all other Google apps, air print, google cloud print, etc.

Finally!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

I've been hesitant to buy AVPlayerHD, mostly because of its stupid name, but I'm really impressed. I wasted so much time converting videos with Subler and Handbrake before, but AVPlayer has played every random internet file I've thrown at it. The only problem I've had is audio getting slightly out of sync with AC3 files, but there's an alignment feature too.

Using it for MKVs? VLC has been way better to me for that. Just in case you weren't already aware or had your reasons...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
VLC still won't do MKVs with AC2 audio. Then there's the odd non-h264 video that I had been chugging through Handbrake. I'd much rather have one player I can drop just about anything into and know it will play.

It really sucked loading the iPad up with video for a long trip, then getting on the plane and realizing half the files played without sound in VLC.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i guess one for local petrol prices would be good too actually
Gasbuddy is the go-to app for that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

VLC still won't do MKVs with AC2 audio. Then there's the odd non-h264 video that I had been chugging through Handbrake. I'd much rather have one player I can drop just about anything into and know it will play.

It really sucked loading the iPad up with video for a long trip, then getting on the plane and realizing half the files played without sound in VLC.

I can't recall if it was AC2 audio or something else (commonly used) but the way I got around that was setting the iPad's clock to something outside of the USA but still in the same time zone. (Vancouver for me) Magically, a ton of my MKV's all had sound again.

[edit] to your comment about just loading it up and knowing it will play with AVPLAYERHD. People swore by AVPlayerHD that it would play anything and then I tried it and it worked ok but I had (if I had to put a number on it) more than 60% of the files I tried had some kind of issue or another. Slow playback, glitches, skips, sound issues...)

I found it to not be reliable either.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Gasbuddy is the go-to app for that.

US/CAN only :ohdear:

any brits know of any UK-centric ones?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

HootSuite lets you do this. You sign in under an account on their system and add your networks. It copies over to the web client too. I just started playing with it yesterday again because I wanted to use scheduled tweets which it supports.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot - I had no idea it supported Facebook too.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Google finally updated Drive for iOS 7 support, single sign on for all other Google apps, air print, google cloud print, etc.

Finally!

Now if they'd release their stupid Google Music app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I've been using Drafts for a few days now and I'm in love with it. It's a note taking app that lets you share to everything imaginable including Day One (journal app), Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Evernote, SMS, you name it. And you can export your notes to Dropbox too.

Just thought I'd mention it here in case you guys didn't know about it. I'm writing a comic so I take notes and stuff all the time and while I use Evernote to store everything, Drafts is just quicker to get to since it opens on a new note and I can just write something down and forget about it.

e: here's a list of some of the stuff it can do: http://actions.agiletortoise.com/draft_actions

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So I just picked up an iPad, is there a swipe enabled keyboard app out there? I'm so used to it on my not-apple phone that having to hunt and peck this poo poo out on a touch screen is a little disorienting.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Stew Man Chew posted:

So I just picked up an iPad, is there a swipe enabled keyboard app out there? I'm so used to it on my not-apple phone that having to hunt and peck this poo poo out on a touch screen is a little disorienting.

There is no such thing. You can't install custom keyboards in iOS.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

the kawaiiest posted:

There is no such thing. You can't install custom keyboards in iOS.

Thanks Timb see if I ever kowtow to your insane possessive IP bullshit again (not a huge problem thank you for the info)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stew Man Chew posted:

... Have you never used a keyboard?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
While I agree that iOS should be more open, if you know how to type on a PC or Mac, the iOS keyboard is just fine.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I love iOS but I'd kill for a Swiftkey-like keyboard. It's the only thing I really miss from Android.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

the kawaiiest posted:

I've been using Drafts for a few days now and I'm in love with it. It's a note taking app that lets you share to everything imaginable including Day One (journal app), Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Evernote, SMS, you name it. And you can export your notes to Dropbox too.

Just thought I'd mention it here in case you guys didn't know about it. I'm writing a comic so I take notes and stuff all the time and while I use Evernote to store everything, Drafts is just quicker to get to since it opens on a new note and I can just write something down and forget about it.

e: here's a list of some of the stuff it can do: http://actions.agiletortoise.com/draft_actions

Agreed, Drafts is ridiculously good. It launches a little slow on old phones now, though. (Used to be instantaneous, before 3.0.)

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

the kawaiiest posted:

I love iOS but I'd kill for a Swiftkey-like keyboard. It's the only thing I really miss from Android.

Same but personally, I really want something like Swype. Regardless, there's really no excusing the lack of improvement/innovation on the iOS keyboard.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

topiKal posted:

Same but personally, I really want something like Swype. Regardless, there's really no excusing the lack of improvement/innovation on the iOS keyboard.

I never really cared for getsure typing, but I think Apple could at least do something like Switftkey where it reads your mail/social networks/blog/texts to improve predictions. The iOS keyboard is downright primitive compared to Swiftkey. I'm bilingual and I really miss it because it would just figure out what language I was writing in and adjust everything automatically, spelling, predictions, everything. In iOS I have to manually switch keyboards and it sucks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
iOS should/does do it automatically.

http://www.macstories.net/news/ios-6-messages-now-automatically-selects-last-used-international-keyboard-for-each-contact/

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Doesn't do this on

It only does that in iMessage. Swiftkey does it system wide in every app. Not only that, it can tell if I start typing in another language and switches keyboards automatically. For example if I'm posting on Facebook and I write a word in Portuguese, it understands that it's not English and adjusts. iOS will just try to autocorrect Portuguese words to English. It blows.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
When I view an e-mail in the default Mail app and delete it, it jumps to the next e-mail message automatically, thus marking it as unread. Is there a way to have mail just show the "no message selected"-screen after deleting something? (When you're not viewing the mail you're deleting, i.e. when swipe-deleting with another or no message open, it doesn't jump to then next message, but always selecting the next message you want to read before deleting something isn't practical at all.)

Edit: or is there an app that does this? If it could also somehow be able to show multiple unread e-mail badges for different accounts on the same app icon, that'd be entirely awesome, but I'm fairly sure iOS doesn't allow that.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

maduin posted:

Now if they'd release their stupid Google Music app.

gMusic and gMusic 2 seem to work for streaming my Google Music library with no problem. They also have support for All Access but I haven't dropped the :10bux: to test it out.

• Locked thread