Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just installed virtualbox, but it doesn't seem to support x64 Windows 7 and that's the only copy of windows I have around.
Yeah, like tehloki said you're going to need some sort of hardware-enabled VM switch flipped. If that isn't available, your Windows 7 key is arch agnostic so you can just grab a 32-bit iso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just installed virtualbox, but it doesn't seem to support x64 Windows 7 and that's the only copy of windows I have around.

It most certainly does. You either don't have something set right, or your processor doesn't support VT-X/AMD-V.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AlexDeGruven posted:

It most certainly does. You either don't have something set right, or your processor doesn't support VT-X/AMD-V.

It's a core i5 so I'm assuming my bios just has it off by default for some lovely reason.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Started working on a new contract this week, the hospitals in my region is switching to Win 7 way too late because XP is about to reach the point of not being updated anymore.

In total we have to swap out/reinstall thousands of computers and deal with just about the same amount of users, 80% of which are cranky old women who know nothing re: computers. But it's a job, at least.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cached Money posted:

switching to Win 7 way too late because XP is about to reach the point of not being updated anymore.

In total we have to swap out/reinstall thousands of computers and deal with just about the same amount of users, 80% of which are cranky old women who know nothing re: computers.

I'm in this situation at the moment, except we're not even yet at the "switching to Win 7 " part yet. Sure we're already so far behind in the conversion, but let's take this opportunity to virtualise all the desktop infrastructure!

... What do you mean we have to figure out what applications can/can not be served up virtual. What you mean we can't run legacy 16 bit apps in a virtual x64 environment. What do you mean we have to build virtualised packages for everthing. The cloud is supposed to just work.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

It's a core i5 so I'm assuming my bios just has it off by default for some lovely reason.

If you're using a Lenovo it's off by defaiult. You can turn it back on in BIOS.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

fivre posted:

A ticket stayed open.

:v: hey, this ticket's just hanging in limbo on our end. There's absolutely no technical problem to solve (the shipper broke hardware) and you guys don't use our ticketing system so we can't transfer it to you. Can we close it?
:downs: no, keep it open, the customer is upset.

The customer's upset because you've taken a month to figure out how you're just going to ship them a new box and have us handle the claim with UPS.

"Archive" it :airquote:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Cached Money posted:

Started working on a new contract this week, the hospitals in my region is switching to Win 7 way too late because XP is about to reach the point of not being updated anymore.

In total we have to swap out/reinstall thousands of computers and deal with just about the same amount of users, 80% of which are cranky old women who know nothing re: computers. But it's a job, at least.

This is what I've been working on for the past month, and will be right up to the April EOL for WinXP. A little over 900 systems to do (according to WSUS at least), just over 100 done so far. It's a lot of work but they gave me almost complete autonomy in the network to make it as streamlined as possible; being able to adjust GPO as needed saves a lot of time.

Yesterday was the last of the C-levels getting upgraded, and one of them even thanked me for my work and said they loved using Win7 :unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The CEO loves Windows 8.1 so much that he has told marketing he wants the "tile interface" to be the standard for our intranet Sharepoint site. :suicide:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

GreenNight posted:

The CEO loves Windows 8.1 so much that he has told marketing he wants the "tile interface" to be the standard for our intranet Sharepoint site. :suicide:

Get SharePoint 2013, it's as close as you'll get out of the box. Alternatively, which is what will probably happen, spend months customizing SharePoint and get a lovely tile-like theme that will make users hate it and reduce adoption. It will be released just in time for the next big thing to be requested by the CEO - something completely different!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Urit posted:

Get SharePoint 2013, it's as close as you'll get out of the box. Alternatively, which is what will probably happen, spend months customizing SharePoint and get a lovely tile-like theme that will make users hate it and reduce adoption. It will be released just in time for the next big thing to be requested by the CEO - something completely different!

We do have it in the budget to upgrade to 2013 next year - but he wants it now now now! Apparently what's going to happen is the tiles are going to basically be links. Oh boy. No one really uses the site now because the interface is so completely terrible.

He also wants us to push down shortcuts to each intranet "department" to users desktops. About 6 shortcuts! Because it's too difficult to add a loving favorite to IE.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GreenNight posted:

He also wants us to push down shortcuts to each intranet "department" to users desktops. About 6 shortcuts! Because it's too difficult to add a loving favorite to IE.

If there's one thing I've learned about the typical user here, is that if it's not on the desktop, it doesn't exist. Pinned icons, start menu, internet favourites? There's absolutely no loving way they can use those. Hell, they even use shortcuts to common documents. Typical desktop here looks like icon bukake.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo yes. No Outlook icon on the desktop = email isn't working this is affecting production

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about the typical user here, is that if it's not on the desktop, it doesn't exist. Pinned icons, start menu, internet favourites? There's absolutely no loving way they can use those. Hell, they even use shortcuts to common documents. Typical desktop here looks like icon bukake.

and god forbid something refresh or rearrange the desktop so the icon isn't in the exact place they are used too

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

arrangebypenis.exe

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Sales data not synched as specified in contact email due to time constraints with full instructions for rectification most definitely means THE DEVICE IS NOT CONFIGURED YOU ARE BAD PARSON, WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR! despite the shouting a day earlier being OVERNIGHT THIS DEVICE NOW, I GIVE NO SHITS WHAT YOU WANT/DO PEON!

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

Holy poo poo yes. No Outlook icon on the desktop = email isn't working this is affecting production

This is every single user on my network. No Word icon? Office must not be installed. No IE icon? The internet needs to be installed on my computer! No one has any idea what the start menu is or how to navigate it and a little bit of me dies every time I get a ticket like that. Just the other day I was asked to write a group policy to add a shortcut to the library system on everyone's desktop because the URL is too hard to remember (it's literally http://library).

Helushune fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 6, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A ticket came in to my coworker. From a woodshop teacher.

quote:

Do you have any spare hard drive parts? The cylinders in mine are smooth, but the rest is cooked.

I don't know what he did, or what he thinks he knows, but I want pictures of this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Drop him off a box of old 6.1 gig hard drives.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

I don't know what he did, or what he thinks he knows, but I want pictures of this.

Just a guess, he opened it. Post photos if possible, thank you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Helushune posted:

This is every single user on my network. No Word icon? Office must not be installed. No IE icon? The internet needs to be installed on my computer! No one has any idea what the start menu is or how to navigate it and a little bit of me dies every time I get a ticket like that. Just the other day I was asked to write a group policy to add a shortcut to the library system on everyone's desktop because the URL is too hard to remember (it's literally http://library).

I set IE to a blank page at startup. I can't tell you how many people contact me to complain the IE isn't working. "It's just a blank screen!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~ken/crash/

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
"My mouse doesn't seem to be working properly."

Not sure which department this falls under. Sounds like a maintenance issue, but I suppose I'll be happy to look into it.

I was instructed to process 6 of these guys for recycling. By "recycling" I hope they mean "re-image and sell on craigslist." (The white bar is just to cover up the asset tag, with the name of my company.)

:yotj:

cname fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 6, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

This is great

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

He's got it in a tank of deionized water just waiting for you guys to come up with a certain part # spare servo that's failed.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a ticket came in

quote:

This morning I tried to phone from my car using bluetooth and the car could no longer access my phone. What changed since the update yesterday. What do I need to do to correct?

I'm pretty sure this is out of our of scope. Just waiting on the email back from my manager telling me I have to do it anyways.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

blackswordca posted:

I'm pretty sure this is out of our of scope. Just waiting on the email back from my manager telling me I have to do it anyways.

Is it wrong that I hope it's something your senior tech broke through the magic of his technical prowess and not just end-user stupidity?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He probably just needs to turn his bluetooth off and then back on.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

FreshFeesh posted:

Is it wrong that I hope it's something your senior tech broke through the magic of his technical prowess and not just end-user stupidity?

My guess is the car dropped its bluetooth list. I remember someone telling me a while ago that some Chevy vehicles are bad for that. I'm not sure what they expect me to do about it over the phone.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

blackswordca posted:

I'm not sure what they expect me to do

the needful

That's a really impressive drive failure. Where did the blue goo come from?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

That's a really impressive drive failure. Where did the blue goo come from?
My (very unqualified) guess is that it was a cascading failure: one head crashed, creating enough magnetic dust to cause a buildup on another head (or two) crashing those heads, creating even more dust to kill the remaining head/platter combos.

As for the goo, that is hosed up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

nexxai posted:

My (very unqualified) guess is that it was a cascading failure: one head crashed, creating enough magnetic dust to cause a buildup on another head (or two) crashing those heads, creating even more dust to kill the remaining head/platter combos.

As for the goo, that is hosed up.

Probably sealant that melted from the increased temperature caused by the friction.

I can almost imagine the sound. Oh god the sound must have been terrifying.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

blackswordca posted:

My guess is the car dropped its bluetooth list. I remember someone telling me a while ago that some Chevy vehicles are bad for that. I'm not sure what they expect me to do about it over the phone.

Be sure to let us know when you wind up having to crawl through his filthy car.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

cname posted:

Be sure to let us know when you wind up having to crawl through his filthy car.

I wont have to, I am onsite for another client and don't do site visits for anyone else. Their tier 1 account tech will have to do it and i feel sorry for her. The user called me back, looks like when the user did an upgrade to iOS7, it wiped her bluetooth list so they'll need to resync it. They wanted me to give them step by step instructions on how to sync it again. I made sure the phone bluetooth was on and in discovery mode aside from that i told them they would have to read through the manual in the vehicle. They muttered something and hung up on me. I think I'm gonna get in trouble for that somehow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A call came in today.

A school district was wondering why their AV suddenly stopped working. They were using the free version of Avast! for over 4000 seats.

:catstare:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

I set IE to a blank page at startup. I can't tell you how many people contact me to complain the IE isn't working. "It's just a blank screen!"

I have an FTP server that points to an IIS web site with directory browsing enabled so that people can browse it with IE. I use it to be able to put up pictures, drivers and random poo poo quickly and then send the link to somewhere.

How many times have I sent a link to a link to a folder with pictures in it and have the person come back to me with "I can't see any pictures. Your link is broken."

No, jackass. No. See the list of image-y looking names? Did you bother to click on anything on the page at all?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

That's amazingly, horrifyingly wonderful :magical:

I'm gonna be honest here, I really hope he held on to that drive for shits and giggles. It's one of those things you have to see to believe.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

A call came in today.

A school district was wondering why their AV suddenly stopped working. They were using the free version of Avast! for over 4000 seats.

:catstare:

But it's FREE!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Agrikk posted:

image-y looking names
This is beyond a lot of people. One more reason why "hide extensions of known file types" is the worst default ever conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Entropic posted:

This is beyond a lot of people. One more reason why "hide extensions of known file types" is the worst default ever conceived.

Yeah I turned that off via GPO.

• Locked thread