Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'll be honest, if they make a 2DS XL ill probably buy one.

Or maybe not since I already have a 3DS XL and just never turn 3d on.

If they made a 2DS that was basically a 3DS design without the 3D, I'd be all over that, and so would a lot of people. But, this is Nintendo. If Nintendo was the main character in Field of Dreams, the response to "If you build it, they will come" would be to start laying a minefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Q_res posted:

There three PS2 games ever that supported 1080i, and none that supported 720p. Some did support 480p and widescreen though.

Most PS2 games ran at 512x448, while Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube and Wii games tended to run at 640x480, so the reason why PS2 games tended to look a little more jaggy was because they were at about 75% the resolution.

Even if the game ran in widescreen, they were rendered with the same number of pixels but a higher horizontal field of view, and then stretched to 16:9. No PS2 games ran at 720p, and games like Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy (based on the same engine as GT4), just scaled the image up to support 1080i. The Xbox did have some 720p games though, such as the GTA games ported from the PS2.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Install Windows posted:

So does the Wii in general, because some PS2 games could put out 720p and even 1080i while all Wii games maxed at 480p.

Wow I had no idea there were ps2 games that outputted 1080i, I learned something today. Also suck it nintendo!!1

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Astro7x posted:

Uh... that's still an additional cost. People seem to forget all that poo poo costs money when factoring it into the cost of a console.

He bought a $15 usb stick which allowed him to run gta v perfectly. Still $95 savings.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

The Xbox did have some 720p games though, such as the GTA games ported from the PS2.

That gets repeated a lot, but all the GTA games for the XBOX actually only run at 480p. There are a surprising number of games that do run at 720p though, probably a couple dozen all up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Fnoigy posted:

Wow, I didn't even know about the 2DS or the Wii Mini until today, both of which sound really stupid. A handheld console with a totally unprotected screen, and a functionally-crippled new version of a system that's at the end of its lifespan. Would 3 separately bad consoles all together add up to the single failure of the Virtual Boy?

The 2DS actually seems like a sensible move as a kid-centric version of the system. No hinge to break, no 3D since it isn't recommended for young kids anyway, good for stuffing in a backpack, low price point.

The Wii Mini is incomprehensible trash, though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

SwissCM posted:

That gets repeated a lot, but all the GTA games for the XBOX actually only run at 480p. There are a surprising number of games that do run at 720p though, probably a couple dozen all up.

That can't be right, can it? I've never heard of xbox games doing this, is it the actual framebuffer at 720p or just some upscaling shenanigans? Because if so I'm curious to find out and maybe bust out the old dog.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cat doter posted:

That can't be right, can it? I've never heard of xbox games doing this, is it the actual framebuffer at 720p or just some upscaling shenanigans? Because if so I'm curious to find out and maybe bust out the old dog.

Yes it's the actual framebuffer at 720p (or at least as much as "720p" games are on the 360/PS3). They tend to look a bit jankier than early 360 games.

Here's one of them played at 720p - its being played with backwards compatibility on the 360 so it actually performs worse than it did on the real Xbox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kz54o5PSZs

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fnoigy posted:

Wow, I didn't even know about the 2DS or the Wii Mini until today, both of which sound really stupid. A handheld console with a totally unprotected screen, and a functionally-crippled new version of a system that's at the end of its lifespan. Would 3 separately bad consoles all together add up to the single failure of the Virtual Boy?

The 2DS is hella cheap which pretty much makes up for all its other deficiencies. Being released at the same time as Pokemon doesn't hurt either. I think it's real ugly and I definitely wouldn't want one myself, but it'll sell fine.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro Nut posted:

Considering the 2DS is currently the best selling console in the UK, after they put it down to a 99 price point and had the surge of half term...

Is it outselling the PS4/XBone?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Calibur II on the original Xbox supported 720p...

but you couldn't play it in widescreen at that resolution; widescreen was only supported in 480p.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well here is some good news for Wii U sales in japan. Wii U sells 40K Units, Wii Party U debuts at #2 right below Pokemon X/Y

http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/

1. Pokemon X/Y - 137,720 - 80-100%
2. Wii Party U - 79,715 - 40-60%
6. New Super Mario Bros U - 38,936 - 80-100%
17. Wii U Play Immediately Family Premium Set + Wii Fit U (White/Black) - 5683 - 80-100%
Wii U Hardware - 40,118 Units.

Media Crate posts some slightly different numbers with the Wii U at 38K. Either way, it's a huge jump from last week's 2,500.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710348

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If they made a 2DS that was basically a 3DS design without the 3D, I'd be all over that, and so would a lot of people. But, this is Nintendo. If Nintendo was the main character in Field of Dreams, the response to "If you build it, they will come" would be to start laying a minefield.

Oh man even better would be a 3DS with the design of a 3DS and the option to turn off and never use the 3D. I bet people would be all over that!

Of course that'll never happen because NINTENDO!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

romanowski posted:

Oh man even better would be a 3DS with the design of a 3DS and the option to turn off and never use the 3D. I bet people would be all over that!

Of course that'll never happen because NINTENDO!

Can't you already do this on the 3DS via Parental Controls? Of course, you don't get a discounted 3DS this way if that's what you were going on about.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

2DS and non-XL 3DS have the same size screens (effectively), and they are $150 and $170 respectively. I'd be pretty surprised to see a 2DS folding version at $160.

Astro7x posted:

Media Crate posts some slightly different numbers with the Wii U at 38K. Either way, it's a huge jump from last week's 2,500.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710348

The differing sales reported on Wii Party U (37k on MC, 80k on Famitsu) is apparently to do with Famitsu counting each bundle as a game as well, which means ~40k copies sold as a bundle and about the same sold separately.

It's a solid week for the Wii U. Looking back the numbers are pretty comparable with the PS3 at this point in it's lifetime, which is admittedly not great but it isn't Virtual Boy.

Very hard to guess where it'll go from here. Holiday season, PS4 not out until February, who knows.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 6, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
That's a decent bump for the Wii U in Japan, but just for reference the week the new Vita model (that's the same price as the old one but with a worse screen) came out it jumped all the way to 60,000. It was down near 25,000 again the week after that.

So yeah, that's decent for the Wii U, but the real test is how well it'll hold in the next few weeks.

Edmund Honda posted:

The differing sales reported on Wii Party U (37k on MC, 80k on Famitsu) is apparently to do with Famitsu counting each bundle as a game as well, which means ~40k copies sold as a bundle and about the same sold separately.

Wii Party U in the bundles is a download code and not a physical game. Media Create never counts download codes in their software charts.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That's what the switch is for on the side.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The big difference would be the cost since they wouldn't be using a matrix screen.

But the other way they saved money on the 2DS was it's just one big screen, with the top touch screen disabled and a layer of plastic dividing it in half. That's why it doesn't fold.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Install Windows posted:

That's what the switch is for on the side.

The price is the thing. I hear "Cheaper 3DS without the 3D" and I get excited, because I don't have a use for the 3D anyway and don't want to spend the extra money, but the design of the system is just too bulky for me. My DS I can at least fold up and tuck away somewhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

The big difference would be the cost since they wouldn't be using a matrix screen.

That cost is very minimal, and getting less so all the time. All the "cost saving" measures combined on the 2DS only allow it to sell for $20 under the regular 3DS which even uses the same size screens.

The price is the thing. I hear "Cheaper 3DS without the 3D" and I get excited, because I don't have a use for the 3D anyway and don't want to spend the extra money, but the design of the system is just too bulky for me. My DS I can at least fold up and tuck away somewhere.

Again, you'd save like maybe $5-$10 in a 3DS where they just made the screen 2D. You could save more yourself by just getting a coupon for Gamestop or buying a slightly used or refurbished model.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is what is wrong with Nintendo

Iwata Believes The PlayStation 4 And Xbox One Launches Are Good For Nintendo

:psyduck:

I mean, yeah sure, you are going to attract the demographic that doesn't like Killzone and Call of Duty. But I think this past year has shown that the Wii crowd has moved on to other things and there are not nearly as many people who want the alternative.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Astro7x posted:

I mean, yeah sure, you are going to attract the demographic that doesn't like Killzone and Call of Duty. But I think this past year has shown that the Wii crowd has moved on to other things and there are not nearly as many people who want the alternative.

The fact that Iwata still has a job amazes me. He's one of the most ignorant people in the videogame industry I have ever seen.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Not only is that article amazing, the comments are something else:

quote:

The majority of the market is casuals, your COD and FIFA players. The PSOne and PS2 ushered in the casual gamer, where do you think those extra 60M sales have come from since the 16 bit era?

Only True Hardcore Gamers buy the Wii U. COD and FIFA and Battlefield are for casuals.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Astro7x posted:

He is talking to his investors.

In any case, I dont think he is quite as far from the mark as you imply. I can only offer the circumstantial, anecdotal and utterly subjective evidence of my own experience, but I forgot the Wii U existed until a month or so ago when XBone and PS4 news started to heat up. Now that it has I'm finding myself following nerd-news a bit more closely and browsing vidya-game stores. In doing so I am reminded that the Wii U actually exists and that, unlike XB1 and PS4 it actually has a handful of games worth the purchase, as well as a vast library of Wii stuff, and also that it would be much better as a console for my wife and young daughter.

I really do think that the WiiU looks like an excellent purchase next to the PS4 and XB1, there are more of us out there that are fed up of CoD/Killzone/Forza than you might imagine.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Not buying a console is a much more sane response to "new consoles are lovely and have rehashed games" than "buy the one that is momentarily the least crappy".

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Only True Hardcore Gamers buy the Wii U. COD and FIFA and Battlefield are for casuals.

This is very common with the really rabid Nintendo fans, the ones that have been there since the NES, they will jump through some amazing hoops just for some false sense of superiority.

Never mind the fact that those "casual" franchises sell consoles and if your console doesn't have, you are hosed.

The next CoD will not be on the Wii U and that's going to hurt Nintendo.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Not buying a console is a much more sane response to "new consoles are lovely and have rehashed games" than "buy the one that is momentarily the least crappy".

But I need to buy something RIGHT NOW.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Capitalism.txt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They will revoke my gamer card otherwise! I won't get in on the gamestop launch party circuit!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alteisen posted:

This is very common with the really rabid Nintendo fans, the ones that have been there since the NES, they will jump through some amazing hoops just for some false sense of superiority.

I dunno, I think the really, really rabid fans on all sides (Nintendo included) these days are the ones who started gaming in the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. The ones who had Sonic Adventure 2 Battle or Heroes for their first Sonic game ever and all that. I'd like to think everyone already in their twenties and up have chilled out for the most part.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Jeffrey posted:

Youre right, and I suspect I would get a kick up the arse if I went out today and got myself a shiny new console. I am just saying that the PS4/XB1 releases piqued my interest in the console market and that as a result I rediscovered the WiiU and discovered its the better purchase right now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If you think the PS4 and XBone just have shootyman army games then you haven't really looked at stuff as much as you're claiming. The Wii U is suffering from a drought and it doesnt look like it's gonna improve.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Simiain posted:

Youre right, and I suspect I would get a kick up the arse if I went out today and got myself a shiny new console. I am just saying that the PS4/XB1 releases piqued my interest in the console market and that as a result I rediscovered the WiiU and discovered its the better purchase right now.

You really need a kick in the arse if you think WiiU is the better purchase.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

It really comes down to games. If you don't like anything coming out for the PS4/XBO, and there are Wii U games that interest you, the Wii U is the better purchase.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I dunno, I dont want this to devolve into a console-warsy slap-fight.

The way I see it, I could buy a PS4/XB1 and a game that wouldnt be earth-shattering but I could kinda enjoy, or I could buy a WiiU and take home Super Mario 3D Land, Pikmin, and half a dozen cheap, AAA Wii titles.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Simiain posted:

The way I see it, I could buy a PS4/XB1 and a game that wouldnt be earth-shattering but I could kinda enjoy, or I could buy a WiiU and take home Super Mario 3D Land, Pikmin, and half a dozen cheap, AAA Wii titles.

If you want a Wii U on the promise of future games then buy it, you don't need to justify your purchases to anyone.

I don't see how you could suddenly develop a burning interest in Wii games this late in the console's lifespan, but there you go.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Edmund Honda posted:

But that's true? Beyond first party Nintendo games, the second and third biggest selling points for the WiiU are It's a video game console that exists, and Bayonetta 2. Both of which are only selling points for hardcore gamers.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

I don't see how you could suddenly develop a burning interest in Wii games this late in the console's lifespan, but there you go.

I kind of did. It turns out the Call of Duty games actually had very good Wii ports with great motion control, and the Project Rainfall games actually managed to come out. Xenoblade is finally getting a price drop, so it'll actually be where it should have been this time last year, and other random neat stuff like the good port of RE4 and No More Heroes 2.

Wii's not a bad system and definitely has the best bang for your buck as of right this moment. Not Wii U, though, just Wii. I always bring it up when things like Ouya or other extremely cheap ways of playing (bad) games are mentioned, since Wiis can be found for less than a new, full priced game these days.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

But that's true? Beyond first party Nintendo games, the second and third biggest selling points for the WiiU are It's a video game console that exists, and Bayonetta 2. Both of which are only selling points for hardcore gamers.

I'd say those are both EXTREMELY distant second and thirds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Alteisen posted:

I'm old enough to have bought an NES in the late 80s. I also had several game boys, a SNES, and an N64. My brother had a gamecube around the time I bought a PS2. I've been with Nintendo since they became a juggernaut in the home game system industry. I bought a Wii in grad school basically just because I couldn't afford the $600 for a PS3 (or the $400 for the cheap version).

I'll probably never buy a Wii U

Why? Because to me, Nintendo has made it plainly clear it wants to be the gaming system for a younger demographic. That's fine, and I know plenty of y'all enjoy many of NIntendo's games. I just don't get enjoyment out of them. I've had a PS3 since the slim and as a consequence I think I own maybe 4 Wii games. The only Wii games I ever bought were exclusives (e.g. the Punch Out!! remake; Zelda). Those games were meh at best, really. I have found that a large majority of the movement controls to be gimmicky and not really adding to the experience.

But by and large it really just comes down to the fact that Nintendo seems perfectly happy to make Mario Party 938 or Mario Goes to Camp or whatever. The majority of the games I like are either sports games or games like Modern Warfare or GTA. Needless to say, I'm going to stick with Sony. The other big thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread is that Nintendo's insistence of not letting you save to a flash drive and to lock all the account stuff to one system is just dumb.

There was a time, when I was a kid, that I was a HUGE Nintendo fanboy. Gamecube had it's share of good games (e.g. Metroid Prime) but plainly and simply, you could see Nintendo start to move towards focusing on catering towards children. Sony and Microsoft have a much larger library of games for adults.

EDIT:
I'm not a "gamer" though. I probably only bought about 10-12 PS3 games. I don't follow what's coming out, I don't really care about the latest release of say Assassin's Creed or whatever. I simply don't spend a lot of time playing video games like I did when I was a kid. So take this post as you will. For the same reason, I don't buy a XBOX because the only reason to do so for me would be to play HALO and one game isn't worth buying a system.

EDIT2:
Also, one of the biggest selling points of the PS3 and XB360 is that you can do other things with it. The Wii couldn't even loving play DVDs, something that systems in even the previous generation were able to do, and wouldn't even play CDs, something that systems could do for well over 10 years before it came out.

EDIT3:
:laugh: What the gently caress? The Wii U can't even do these things? loving hell, Nintendo.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2013

• Locked thread