Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Both of Play orders, the N5 and Chromebook, were handled by UPS-SCS and not FedEx. I wonder if that has to do with anything. The sleeve is parcel post from Hong Kong and it's showing up based on the link in the email so it's not even a major courier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nocal posted:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record in this thread, what the gently caress? Google Now has issues tracking packages, we all know. I can only get it to track amazon stuff. But why can't it track Google Play orders? Jesus.

It works when it wants to. Tracked my N4 just fine. It hasn't picked up my N5. Both shipped UPS ground.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there a go-to "manage my collection of <x>" app?

I'm actually wanting to keep a database of pipe tobacco reviews, but no such app exists. There's a few for cigars but not pipe tobacco.

I'm currently using either a google docs doc or an evernote note, which isn't too bad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LastInLine posted:

Both of Play orders, the N5 and Chromebook, were handled by UPS-SCS and not FedEx. I wonder if that has to do with anything. The sleeve is parcel post from Hong Kong and it's showing up based on the link in the email so it's not even a major courier.

I know Gmail sometimes parses tracking numbers and puts a button off on the side to track a package. Maybe Now intercepts this parsing and that's how the card is made.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I know Gmail sometimes parses tracking numbers and puts a button off on the side to track a package. Maybe Now intercepts this parsing and that's how the card is made.
It's actually got it reversed then. In Gmail the track package button appears for just the Play Store order but not the Hong Kong special even though both have the tracking number in the body of the email.

There's no rhyme or reason.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Google services: There's no rhyme or reason edition.

I'd be willing to bet that the two sections of Google use different in-house e-mail parsers. Would explain the inconsistency.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I find their sports team tracking annoying. It never pops in an alert for upcoming games, and if I get a score update at all, it's 4 days after the game happened. I've dismissed the Packers-Bears result 5 times this week. I just want my phone to tell me when Hockey is gonna be on so I don't have to memorize the schedule.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The sports tracking stuff is really more if you're passively interested. Like "oh, that was the score last night."

Get the actual NHL Gamecenter app if you want active push notifications for game start times and goals/etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I find their sports team tracking annoying. It never pops in an alert for upcoming games, and if I get a score update at all, it's 4 days after the game happened. I've dismissed the Packers-Bears result 5 times this week. I just want my phone to tell me when Hockey is gonna be on so I don't have to memorize the schedule.
I usually find an exportable schedule and put it into Google Calendar then just throw a widget up to monitor that calendar if I need to or set reminders on games I don't want to miss.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Protocol7 posted:

I'd be willing to bet that the two sections of Google use different in-house e-mail parsers. Would explain the inconsistency.

This sounds highly likely.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I usually find an exportable schedule and put it into Google Calendar then just throw a widget up to monitor that calendar if I need to or set reminders on games I don't want to miss.

Most of the NHL team pages have a file you can download to add directly into your Google calendar, been doing it this way for three years. Usually get a notification about 10 minutes before the game starts.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

deong posted:

Is anyone using this on a Moto droid maxx? I tried all the led methods, but I get nada.

"Standard" works fine on my Droid Maxx

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, I turned off all the sports poo poo on Google Now for the same reasons you did. Having to dismiss the same game results two days in a row gets pretty old real quick.

I use the ESPN Scorecenter app for all my sports needs now. I've never failed to get push notifications about how the Rangers CAN'T PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET :argh:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The only new problem I've noticed about Google Now is when I ask it about the Chiefs it always tells me that they've won. I'm sure this bug will be remedied soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The only new problem I've noticed about Google Now is when I ask it about the Chiefs it always tells me that they've won. I'm sure this bug will be remedied soon.
They fixed it from last year when it would only tell you they lost.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Just be happy that GNow actually gives you some info about your sports team. Portsmouth are too unimportant for results, apparently.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Went for a walk and decided to try out the camera on the N5. I used HDR+. Little bit of noise in the sky but nothing too terrible.

Click for big.

e: oh poo poo sorry this is the apps thread.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 6, 2013

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
If you've been using either the phone or tablet versions of Swiftkey: they've removed them both from the Play store, and finally replaced them with a single app. Looks like you can undock, resize and swap keyboard layouts without diving into the Settings menu, which is useful - it even remembers if you use different layouts in portrait and landscape mode.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

LastInLine posted:

They fixed it from last year when it would only tell you they lost.

That wasn't a bug, it was a feature!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Frozen-Solid posted:

That wasn't a bug, it was a featurephenomenon!

Fixed

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Google released their own survey app for which you can earn Play credit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks

Hopefully this won't be as lovely as other internet "surveys" which give you 100 "screener" questions aka "a full survey", then disqualify you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Hopefully this won't be as lovely as other internet "surveys" which give you 100 "screener" questions aka "a full survey", then disqualify you.
Hopefully it shows up outside of the US...like that would ever happen.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Google released their own survey app for which you can earn Play credit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks

Don't blast through the first questionnaire because your first questionnaire is a test. If you randomly chose answers or rush through it you won't be approved to take any more.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use the ESPN Scorecenter app for all my sports needs now. I've never failed to get push notifications about how the Rangers CAN'T PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET :argh:

Dammit, ESNP! I'd had the college football app languishing on my phone this season because they didn't see fit to update it, and they also didn't let users know about this ScoreCenter app, which basically does the same thing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is there/will there be a way to get the Google dialler that's on Nexus 5 on a Samsung device without rooting etc? The 4.4 one sounds cool and it seems weird that it's the only Samsung thing I can't swap out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

hotsauce posted:

Don't blast through the first questionnaire because your first questionnaire is a test. If you randomly chose answers or rush through it you won't be approved to take any more.

I think I messed up the very last one. I literally did the exact opposite of what it asked me to do...that is, it was like "pay attention and be careful, and select five stars!" and I just blindly selected all of them because it sort of looked like five stars, but I think their were actually six.

"Pay attention? gently caress that, I can't waste three actual seconds to count poo poo!"

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think I messed up the very last one. I literally did the exact opposite of what it asked me to do...that is, it was like "pay attention and be careful, and select five stars!" and I just blindly selected all of them because it sort of looked like five stars, but I think their were actually six.

"Pay attention? gently caress that, I can't waste three actual seconds to count poo poo!"

Ha, yeah - I accidentally denied them sending me extra non-Google Play bonus earning surveys because I have fat fingers :(

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
How much storage does google play music use on your phone? I have not pinned any music and turned off caching streamed music, but the loving thing takes up over 600mb of storage. I already cleared all data but as soon as I start the app and log in it slowly increases in size until it has reached~600mb again.

Am I missing something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How do you know you've been declined from Google's survey thing? I accidentally skipped a question and went back via the Back button but I was able to do the whole survey and now it's telling me to wait to see if I'm approved.

I hope I didn't mess up.. :ohdear:

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Can somebody tell me what that obnoxious symbol is in the middle of the YouTube video im watching is.

http://imgur.com/uqUIIgZ

E: is it a Bluetooth thing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CancerStick posted:

Can somebody tell me what that obnoxious symbol is in the middle of the YouTube video im watching is.

http://imgur.com/uqUIIgZ

E: is it a Bluetooth thing?

That's the Chromecast icon.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Hey guys I've got a few queries about my new N5... (which I'm loving, first Android phone I've gotten).

I installed Airdroid on it, set up an account, etc. I can't seem to get it to connect to my desktop. My desktop is wired to my router, my phone is on that router's wifi. Is that why?

Also is there an app to fiddle with the colour light for the notifications? Would be nice to have red for emails, blue for fb, green for texts, etc!

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's the Chromecast icon.

I don't have chromecast tho

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lord Twisted posted:

Also is there an app to fiddle with the colour light for the notifications? Would be nice to have red for emails, blue for fb, green for texts, etc!

Lightflow, but it appears that it might not be working 100% on the N5 yet; reports seem varied.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

CancerStick posted:

I don't have chromecast tho

Do you have a PS3/360?
That's the icon of the button I press when I want to set up a TV Queue/send videos to whatever console we're using at the moment.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Twisted posted:

Hey guys I've got a few queries about my new N5... (which I'm loving, first Android phone I've gotten).

I installed Airdroid on it, set up an account, etc. I can't seem to get it to connect to my desktop. My desktop is wired to my router, my phone is on that router's wifi. Is that why?

You don't need an account for doing it on a local network, you can just use lite mode, so you might want to try that. I have the same wired setup as you and it works fine, except I switched broadband recently and got a new router and it really does not want to see the phone sometimes. Takes a bunch of retrying in the browser window.

Also I use the airdroid widget to connect and I seem to have more luck with that, I could be imagining it though. Check your router settings for something like client isolation, I forget the exact name, make sure it's off

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

baka kaba posted:

You don't need an account for doing it on a local network, you can just use lite mode, so you might want to try that. I have the same wired setup as you and it works fine, except I switched broadband recently and got a new router and it really does not want to see the phone sometimes. Takes a bunch of retrying in the browser window.

Also I use the airdroid widget to connect and I seem to have more luck with that, I could be imagining it though. Check your router settings for something like client isolation, I forget the exact name, make sure it's off

Thanks! Will have a fiddle tomorrow when I can sit down with it properly. Was just wanting confirmation whether the computer itself needed to be on a wireless network or not!

Edit: Working fine now... just can't seem to send any messages. Common problem or not? I have no special rooting or anything I just got this phone a few days ago!

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 7, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Does anyone else get this problem with kayboards? The menu button in Touchdown appears over the top of my keyboard and I can hardly hit the space bar or other bottom-row buttons. At first I thought it was Swiftkey because that updated today, but this happens with the default keyboard as well. I guess I could chalk it up to Touchdown being terrible, but it hasn't updated in a few days and was working fine yesterday.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Twisted posted:

Thanks! Will have a fiddle tomorrow when I can sit down with it properly. Was just wanting confirmation whether the computer itself needed to be on a wireless network or not!

Edit: Working fine now... just can't seem to send any messages. Common problem or not? I have no special rooting or anything I just got this phone a few days ago!

4.4 has a new SMS system which means you pick a default app and everything else has to send it requests to send things. I'm not sure AirDroid's been updated recently, which could be why it's not working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

ilysespieces posted:

Do you have a PS3/360?
That's the icon of the button I press when I want to set up a TV Queue/send videos to whatever console we're using at the moment.

No. I've seen it before. I was in my car sitting in the car waiting for my girlfriend to get off work. It was hooked up to the car via Bluetooth is why I wondered if it was Bluetooth.

I do have a PS3 but it hasn't been turned on in probably a year.

e: in the parking lot not car but anyway it is showing the same symbol on the screen when connected to my Bluetooth speaker at home too

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread