Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

sword_man.gif posted:

I've got one video where I made some honestly dumbfuck decisions and yet got my rear end pulled out of the fire at the last moment by Vivillon.

E7HG-WWWW-WWWX-MVYF

Watching Vivillon of all things KO a legendary is pretty hilarious.

Looking at Goodra it seems to have a pretty nice selection of moves, like I said I'm probably going to bring it in for Super Doubles with the Drizzle Politoed I have. Draco Meteor is an obvious choice, and I'll probably give it Thunder to cover enemy water types. The last two move slots are tough to choose though. I know Toxic + Infestation seems to be popular and sounds pretty good, though if I choose to run Assault Vest that isn't an option. Same with Rest, which otherwise would be pretty nice. It can learn Sludge Wave/Bomb which would be great against enemy Fairy types. Flamethrower would be nice for Ferrothorn and other Steels if it wasn't going to be paired with Politoed, but Focus Blast is pretty nice too. However, given the advice from earlier about how to do the Battle Maison, 75 accuracy isn't too appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Having trouble deciding how to setup my team for 6v6. I have 8 pokemon as candidates, but some of them seem to fulfill the same role.

Jolly Dugtrio (Quake, Reversal, S.Punch, Stone Edge) - straightforward Sash trapper
Modest Rotom-W (Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, Will-o-Wisp, Hydro Pump) - I didn't realize you couldn't get pain split, and there's heavy competition for leftovers..
Impish Gyarados (Rest, Sleeptalk, Dragon Tail, Waterfall) - More leftovers competition
Calm Togekiss (Roost, Air Slash, Dazzling Gleam, Thunder Wave) - More leftovers competition
Adamant Gale Talonflame (Brave Bird, U-turn, Roost, Flare Blitz)- I guess Life orb goes here.
Adamant Scizor (U-Turn, Bullet Punch, Swords Dance/Quick Attack, Pursuit) - Debating on Choice Band vs Scizorite, if Band then I still have Mega room
Modest Protean Froakie (haven't picked moves yet) - No idea what to do with thus, but I have it.
Timid Volcarona (Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Heat Wave, Protect) - Bred this one more for doubles, but I could see using it.

The biggest thing keeping me from having a ready to go team is the lack of leftovers. I could either bypass that with a black sludge/toxic orb user or just go for others. Any other noticeable gaps/weaknesses on the team?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

My assault vest rain goodra is: Dragon Pulse/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Draco Meteor. Flamethrower is worth it in my opinion because I don't always lead with my politoed. So if my opponent has a ferrothorn or venusaur or something I'll try to kill or at least burn it before starting any rain. I've got draco meteor and dragon pulse because you pretty much have to switch goodra out after using draco meteor, which isn't always ideal.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

This game does not want me to have a 0 speed Sturdy Avalugg. I've bred 3 perfect bergmites, all of them with Own Tempo. Two of them have rolled perfect speed IV's. I have 3 boxes full of these loving things and two near-perfect parents but something that usually takes less than an hour for me has ended up taking over four. Life is pain.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How the heck do you put markings on Pokemon?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ruggington posted:

This game does not want me to have a 0 speed Sturdy Avalugg. I've bred 3 perfect bergmites, all of them with Own Tempo. Two of them have rolled perfect speed IV's. I have 3 boxes full of these loving things and two near-perfect parents but something that usually takes less than an hour for me has ended up taking over four. Life is pain.

Sturdy is a hidden ability. You need to get a friend safari Bergmite.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

In the PC, in the Organize Pokemon option, click on one of your Pokemon with the A button so another menu pops up. This menu has the option to put markings on the Pokemon.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Tap the little star/heart etc. shapes in the summary screen.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tai?

e: Never mind that, you're CHappy.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sturdy is a hidden ability. You need to get a friend safari Bergmite.

Both of the parents have Sturdy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Finally got lil Pandam!

Now to figure out his moveset. Might go with Crunch/Hammer Arm/Body Slam/??? 252 in Attack and HP since homeboy isn't that stocky with Defense or anything else, really.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

gameface posted:

Nice fight. What was the Volcarona's name, by the way? It seems that Showdown replays won't show nicknames of anyone that doesn't show up in the battle.

A bit late but it was ULTIMATE GREAT MOTH. Got a Season 1 Yugioh theme going. Also Crosscontaminant sent you a PM man.

Does anyone have that Chain Fishing Guide?

VVV Danke

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 6, 2013

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A bit late but it was ULTIMATE GREAT MOTH. Got a Season 1 Yugioh theme going. Also Crosscontaminant sent you a PM man.

Does anyone have that Chain Fishing Guide?
I think this is it

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?
I don't have the specific guide but I was just going off of what the people in this Gamefaqs thread said.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67566852

Took me about an hour but I just caught a shiny Clauncher :toot: I don't know what my chain was because I wasn't counting, but it wasn't more than 37 because that's my record according to the fisherman.

e: f;b by the actual proper guide

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I have an idea but I'm not sure how to make it work--I want to Skill Swap Pixilate from Mega-Gardevoir to Noivern so that I've got a Fairy-type Boomburst that benefits from a 30% damage boost and being able to hit ghosts but I'm not sure how to go about it or with whom to round out the team. I tried it on Showdown a couple times but I don't know near enough about competitive Smogon doubles to begin to address it when my opponent (logically) leads with a Ghost-type or sets Trick Room. What would I add to these two to make my dumb gimmick work, even if it's just 1 in 100 times?

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Skill Swap
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Protect

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Hey, Rudoku, if you're there, I'm ready to take back those pokemon.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
Still haven't gotten my shiny Eevee. 42 boxes down, and the japanese ditto mother is now level 100. Now I'm releasing/trading all the males and boxing the females. Sooner or later I've gotta get this shiny Eevee, right?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Hey, Rudoku, if you're there, I'm ready to take back those pokemon.

Yeah I'll be on soon. I've had my fill of holding your friends hostage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Harlock posted:

The excellent strategy of boring your opponent to death

I have adopted that strategy as my entire mantra. It's a baton pass team with no attack moves :ssh:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60775921

I'd make a better replay, but honestly, it's hard to find a good opponent on Showdown where I can really show off this team.

edit: I like this team a lot, so I'm just going to post it.

Scoliopede @ Leftovers
Speed Boost
Timid Nature
248 HP / 8 Sp Def / 252 Spe
Protect
Iron Defense
Substitute
Baton Pass

Probably the second most vital member of the team. Speed Boost means I don't need to run Agility on anyone, and Protect/Substitute guarantees I get those Speed Boosts. I can use Iron Defense whenever an opportunity presents itself to make it easier for the rest of my team.

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Soundproof
Bold Nature
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef
Baton Pass
Calm Mind
Substitute
Encore

Mr. Mime is a great asset to this team, between his Dragon immunity, immunity to Roar and Perish Song (which would otherwise be the end of me), and most importantly, Encore to help me set up, he's a pretty pro switch-in. It's not hard at all to get multiple Calm Mind boosts.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold Nature
248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Def
Baton Pass
Substitute
Wish
Roar

Vaporeon is my panic button basically. Roar gets rid of any threat I can't set up on, and Wish takes the edge off any attacks I didn't anticipate. Mostly he's good for Roaring and bulky subs though.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Magic Bounce
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Baton Pass
Wish
Calm Mind
Substitute

Without Espeon, this team would only work on the biggest of idiots. With Magic Bounce, I can nullify the majority of traditional counters to Baton Pass teams. Espeon is great at setting up Calm Mind, and an extra Wish cleric never hurts.

Smeargle @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Timid Nature
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Baton Pass
Spore
Ingrain
Defog

Smeargle is really just the icing on the cake for this team. If I can get him in, Spore can neutralize a target, and Ingrain guarantees me an extra bit of recovery every turn along with Immunity to phazing on everybody. Defog is for any scenario where the other team managed to set up more entry hazards than I'm comfortable with. He doesn't have Substitute, so I usually only ever switch him in once for Spore+Ingrain and leave him benched most of the time. If I were running this team in-game (which I'm working on) I'd run Moody, just for that extra gently caress You factor.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Bold Nature
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Baton Pass
Taunt
Substitute
Harden

Gliscor is what prevents me from getting wrecked by heavy physical offense. He can tank hits well and Taunt is always useful. Harden may seem like a strange option, but it's the only way I can boost Defense if it's too hard for Scoliopede to.

I actually win a lot with this team, because nobody ever bothers to stick around to realize I can't actually fight back. If they were to just switch back and forth, I would eventually run out of PP, so this team would basically always lose in the long-run.

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 7, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Constable Lemon posted:

I have adopted that strategy as my entire mantra. It's a baton pass team with no attack moves :ssh:

I'd make a better replay, but honestly, it's hard to find a good opponent on Showdown where I can really show off this team.

I haven't laughed that hard at a battle in a good bit. Thanks for that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Okay can anyone confirm Dratini/Dragonair show up on route 21? I've been fishing for an hour and got nothing.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Constable Lemon posted:

This is hilarious, but what happens if someone uses Taunt on you?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Okay can anyone confirm Dratini/Dragonair show up on route 21? I've been fishing for an hour and got nothing.

They definitely do. Good Rod gives Dratini, Super Rod gives Dragonair.

Caught a Dragonair there earlier. Did take quite a while to find one though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

That still leaves half my team in need of help. A big part of the problem is that I don't really have anyone who isn't suicidal, but most of the good support/tanks mons that I know need something from G5.

Florges gets Aromatherapy and Wish by level up and can eat Dragon moves and Focus Blasts directed at Tyrantrum and Exploud. Ferrothorn gets all of the options that it needs and is still a massive pain in the rear end, plus it takes care Florges's weaknesses and appreciates the Tyrantrum's quad fire resist.

Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Mega-Aggron are probably your best bet for bulky rock-setters at the moment, but I don't know if you're in the market for one of those.

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 7, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

noirstronaut posted:

Finally got lil Pandam!

Now to figure out his moveset. Might go with Crunch/Hammer Arm/Body Slam/??? 252 in Attack and HP since homeboy isn't that stocky with Defense or anything else, really.

Anyone have any suggestion or critique on what the fourth move here should be or if I should tweak the badassness of this moveset?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
So there's a pokemon tournament at my old college tomorrow night and I need opinions on my team. There's gonna be an item clause so I can't have any repeat items and some other silly rules so I tried and constructed the best team I could.

Mamoswine@Focus Sash
Oblivious/Jolly
252 atk/252 speed
-icicle crash
-ice shard
-stealth rocks
-earthquake

Nidoking@Life Orb
Sheer Force/Timid
252 sp.atk/252 speed
-flamethrower
-earth power
-sludge wave
-ice beam

Rotom-w@Leftovers
Levitate/Modest
232 hp/56 sp.atk/220 speed
-hydro pump
-volt switch
-hidden power ice
-will-o-wisp

Talonflame@Sharp Beak
Gale Wings/Adamant
125 hp/252 atk/132 speed
-brave bird
-flare blitz
-roost
-sword dance

Azumarill@Choice Band
Huge Power/Adamant
168 hp/252 atk/84 speed
-superpower
-waterfall
-play Rough
-aqua jet

Scizor@Assault Vest
Technician/Adamant
248 hp/196 atk/64 sp.def
-bullet punch
-pursuit
-brick break
-u-turn

any comments/criticisms are welcome but otherwise I'm pretty confident in my team.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Uh... I don't know what to think anymore. :psyduck:

I just found my second shiny! A Goomy on Route 14. I was looking for an Ekans. :geno:

He's Gentle (bleah), with Sap Sipper (whatever!). Eh. He's cool and orange and purple, so I'm happy.

(Oh, and I caught an Ekans too.)

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone have any suggestion or critique on what the fourth move here should be or if I should tweak the badassness of this moveset?

Parting Shot is always fun.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Spoon or whoever has the control. Could you send squarpushr (me) and BOYS invite please?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I don't think a Pokemon fight has ever made me feel as stupid as this one did. DTKG-WWWW-WWW2-J27T

I can't believe I fell for that. :sigh: I need a better anti-Talonflame strategy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Slate Action posted:

This is hilarious, but what happens if someone uses Taunt on you?

I edited my post with a team analysis, but basically I have to see it coming and pass to Espeon to bounce the Taunt back in their face. I'm still learning about different Pokemon having access to Taunt, but I know most of them. Prankster Tornadus, however, is definitely a Hard Counter to the team because I can't switch before he Taunts. Honestly, the majority of rage-quits are from me bouncing back an entry hazard or something. People just can't stand Magic Bounce.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Constable Lemon posted:

Prankster Tornadus, however, is definitely a Hard Counter to the team because I can't switch before he Taunts.
Switching has infinite positive priority.

vvv :doh:

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 7, 2013

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Crosscontaminant posted:

He's using Baton Pass.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Silver Falcon posted:

Uh... I don't know what to think anymore. :psyduck:

I just found my second shiny! A Goomy on Route 14. I was looking for an Ekans. :geno:

He's Gentle (bleah), with Sap Sipper (whatever!). Eh. He's cool and orange and purple, so I'm happy.

(Oh, and I caught an Ekans too.)

I'll give you my copy of AC for it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Crosscontaminant posted:

So then Pursuit has infinity plus one? :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

vvv :doh:

Thanks for the Gastly Cross! Got perfect IV's in everything but Speed, but speed wasn't a bad stat so It's more than good enough.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm trying to make a Super Singles team for the Battle Maison. So far, I've raised:

Charizard@CharizarditeY
Solar Power/Drought
Timid - 6HP, 252SpA, 252Spe
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

and

Venusaur@Life Orb
Chlorophyll
Modest, 6HP, 252SpA, 252Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Growth

Who would you guys suggest as my third? I was thinking maybe a physically inclined Lucario, or maybe a Mold Breaker Excadrill, or even Scizor, but I'm not sure. Ideally, I'd like a physical attacker, and someone who can bring some synergy with the others.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I just got a bunch of pupitars from my friend's safari. I looked on bulbapedia because they all have shed skin and it only lists that as its ability. Is there no way to tell if it'll have Unnerve until it becomes a tyranitar?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Pupitar's hidden ability is indeed the same as its normal one.

Why d'you want an Unnerve Tyranitar, anyway? The SpD boost from sandstorm is way better than stopping the opponent eating berries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, they do. Pretty sure you have to moan about it on the Internet first though. Worked for me at least. :v:

• Locked thread