Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SeaTard posted:

He can 1-shot Sectoids with a pistol, I think it's justified.

Weird that he then becomes a class that can't use pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Section Z posted:

I'm still convinced that all your Rookies are really soldiers who couldn't make the cut for GI Joe, lured by the promise of laser battles and silly nicknames.

"Oh yeah, we ONLY hire Spetsnatz, SEAL, MI6, Delta Green Force, you know THOSE GUYS. See, right here, says so in the brochure.

But you know what? We'll make any exception for YOU, this one time! 'Cause you are such an awesome guy!"

":haw:"

"Nice signature son. By the way, it's for life, but don't worry!

Life just got a lot shorter! :getin:"

e: Someone should make a "Ticket, Please!" Style XCOM game, except you let everyone in.

Even the Thinmen infiltrators. Those spots aren't gonna fill themselves!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Personally, I'd rather have a Chinese/Japanese 'Asian' voice set than a 'English - With Accent' one.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Crazy Ted posted:

Which should really just be whatever the regular American accent says with "EH?????" thrown in at the end.

*XCOM agent crashes through window*

"oops I'm sorry."

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

RBA Starblade posted:

With Enemy Within they said that EXALT won't show up until after the alien base or so, right? Does that mean that early satellite rushing will still work without much issue?

Don't think they've said that at all, as far as I know they turn up in month 2.

FoolyCharged posted:

My issue with that cut scene was that he threw away the pistol rather than being a proto-operative that could actually defend himself on the way to the evac point.

Yeah, that annoys me too. What, is he worried the police are going to investigate the shooting of a Sectoid? It doesn't make any sense. Of course, it makes even less sense that Zhang tends to be the highest ranking solider you have when you get him, so you don't just recruit some gangster, you promote him to squad leader of XCOM :psyboom:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Could've been his last round, although since he can aim, shoot and handle the recoil one-handed....

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For me, the weirdest thing is that the pistol Zhang uses has a unique model even though it's only on-screen for a handful of seconds.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

Weird that he then becomes a class that can't use pistols.

Well yeah, he threw his away! :rolleye:

Darkhold posted:

Perks for number of turns it takes to hack the console. Pistol headshots. Extra movement points. Extra durability when you're not wearing armor. Two pistol shots per turn. Cloak when you're behind full cover. All sorts of ways to create a character that excels at the things the agent is supposed to do while boosting what they are limited to. You could load them up with all sorts of crazy one off abilities that wouldn't make sense in the rest of the game but fun and give an even more unique flavour to those missions.

As it is you just end up with a gimped solider. Which is fine in the 'hard tradeoff' philosophy but kinda dull gameplay-wise IMO.

But then doesn't that just leave you with a gimped class only useful for a few missions, something like a fifth of the campaign?

I'd love an XCOM 2 that had missions revolving around sneaking teams of saboteurs into alien ships and facilities and then having them fight their way out to complete objectives like bringing down Abductors without risking Interceptors or stealing Elerium and weaken base defenses before you bring in an assault team. Spies and sappers, the other side of the coin to your black ops commandoes. I don't think there's enough room in the game for them as-is though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkrenown posted:

Don't think they've said that at all, as far as I know they turn up in month 2.

Oh, may have confused it with that then. Still enough time to do it though!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

HaitianDivorce posted:

But then doesn't that just leave you with a gimped class only useful for a few missions, something like a fifth of the campaign?
Right that's why I said you'd have a separate hirable class. Money isn't much of a concern after a certain point so this would be a decent money sink if you didn't take care of your agents.

Edit: on second thought a better system would be some kind of Rank/Class perk that every solider gets if he's picked as an agent but isn't active during normal missions. Just different enough to the base game to add something more interesting and make it a real choice when you're picking your soldiers to go on these mission.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 6, 2013

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I was kind of weirded out at his stats.

So, according to the manual, you hire the best of the best spec ops. You know, Spetsnaz, SAS, SEAL 6, that kinda thing.

Then you get a random triad member and he's better than them. Quite probably at everything, assuming you didn't turn on random stats.

Did Wei Shen change Sun On Yee hiring policies that much? And if so, why aren't we recruiting gangsters for everything?

When he starts off I think he's just a VIP with an extra block of health or something?

Clearly he saw X-Com, was inspired, and went through a ridiculous training regimen while 80s music blared in the background.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Right that's why I said you'd have a separate hirable class. Money isn't much of a concern after a certain point so this would be a decent money sink if you didn't take care of your agents.

Edit: on second thought a better system would be some kind of Rank/Class perk that every solider gets if he's picked as an agent but isn't active during normal missions. Just different enough to the base game to add something more interesting and make it a real choice when you're picking your soldiers to go on these mission.

What, something like the psionic tree with a short, tight focus on either survivability or lethality, maybe activated by a one-time charge for "covert ops training" or something? I could go for that. A late-game money sink sounds good; there's really not enough pressure and tension in the endgame.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

HaitianDivorce posted:

What, something like the psionic tree with a short, tight focus on either survivability or lethality, maybe activated by a one-time charge for "covert ops training" or something? I could go for that. A late-game money sink sounds good; there's really not enough pressure and tension in the endgame.

The endgame is much more difficult if you have a squadwipe during the middle section of the game. During my latest playthrough on II, on the second Terror mission I activated three cyberdisks in one turn and lost my major support, assault, and heavy. I played the rest of the game with 4 rookies and two colonel squadsight snipers, and I was very close to losing on both the overseer ship mission and a supply barge mission that I did for elerium. Geoscape play gets silly though.

If you do get through the alien base without losing more than one guy, then yeah, the game gets pretty easy. For some reason, the game gave me a council mission where I fought only sectoids right before the Temple Assault. I don't think my guys missed a shot that mission.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm out of practice. I had most of Europe and Asia in the red; good thing I could attack the alien base for a worldwide panic reduction. Now most of the world is locked down and soon I'll never have to worry about another abduction mission. Awesome.

Still lost Argentina, though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Crazy Ted posted:

Which should really just be whatever the regular American accent says with "EH?????" thrown in at the end.

Either that or steal some lines from the one map in Battlefield 1942 where the Allied forces were the Canadian Army. Basically, what Swedes think Canadians sound like.

"Your mother was a beaver!"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I figured Zhang was ex-military. Apparently it's quite common with members of the Triad?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

poptart_fairy posted:

I figured Zhang was ex-military. Apparently it's quite common with members of the Triad?

He's about a week from being ex-limbed. :getin:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Coq au Nandos posted:

Disarmed :colbert:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mr Dog posted:

jfc

Slingshot aftermath, and this with heavy savescumming

This right here is why I don't normally pick Slingshot. Mission 2 left most of my vets in hospital, and snipers aren't very useful on a battleship. Go ahead and equip three rookies with laser rifles, doesn't count for much when they can't actually hit anything with them.

And of course a Terror Mission popped immediately afterwards :suicide:

Thankfully three of my guys got out of sickbay just in the nick of time.

Anything is possible with savescumming, you just weren't trying hard enough. Did you try rearranging your shots so high-chance ones coincide with low RNG values and vice versa? That is how I beat the game on Impossible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Coq au Nandos posted:

A prime candidate for MEC Alpha-Zero-One. :black101:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So three Cyberdisks just rolled up on me in a single turn on a Terror mission in June.

I think the game really resents me pulling off a third month alien base raid and having plasma in month four.

(I lost one lightning rod. Wouldn't have lost anybody if the drat thing took the bait and grenaded the two guys I ordered to hold hands next to the surviving 'disc. At least the other two were close enough to eat two HEAT missiles)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

It's alright lads, he's 'armless now!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Quick Story:

I'm super excited for EW. I was trying really hard not to play EU so I didn't burn out on EW. However, I never played sling shot so I used that as an excuse to play it before EW.

I beat the sling shot missions, but then kept playing anyway. I had a pretty long game. Lots of colonels and farmed up some psychics, and spent well over a year spend before I moved to beat the game.

Finally I decided to complete it and I hopped into the last mission.

At the very end I setup the typical 1st round boss kill. I don't want to fight that poo poo. So I had my guys wait (only 5 left... stupid Sectopods! :doom:). I reloaded my two snipers and then grabbed my assault and ran into the room and started the fight.

:doh:

gently caress! I completely goofed and moved the assault in there too soon! I needed to wait until the start of my turn. So the boss moves out of LOS and I'm stuck having to actually fight it out.

I think for a second and then decide to go for it. I mean I never did the fight legit, but I think I can do this! Anyway the fight goes down and it's pretty ugly but I get the boss down on life and I'm thinking I can still pull it off.

Well then the game crashed. :gonk:

I threw a fit a quit for a few days. It was frustrating and I didn't want to deal with the crushing defeat after all of that.

So today I go back and load the save. I don't know how in the world it was possible, maybe some steam sync problem from the crash, but my auto save was from before the boss fight started!!! Holy poo poo!

Maybe that is the normal thing for the final boss since you'd be hosed for good if you lost, but whatever I was ecstatic.

I hopped in and ran my ghosted assault in there and two shot the boss, then celebrated my victory. :smug:

One last thing though:
Since my assault was ghosted, in the cut scenes it was showing them with the ghost effect, except for the hair. The ending cut scene was a floating hair running around doing all of the ending stuff. It was very weird.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Apparently Army of Four is a new achievement specific to EW, because I just ran through Classic with no squad size upgrades and it didn't show as completed. :mad:

Also, it seems that the achievement for completing all five starting locations must get wiped if you uninstall the game. :argh:

It was a fun challenge, though. Quite a few casualties, and one straight-up wipe when I got a supply ship clowncar. Maneuvering to try and kill a sectopod, I accidentally activated the sectoid commanders and couldn't kill them. Next turn one trooper gets mind-controlled, and suddenly there's muton elites outside the ship behind me one way (towards the evac), a cyberdisc and a set of floaters the other way, and that loving sectopod wouldn't go down. Fortunately, only one colonel was along on that time.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The intro to this video cracks me up.

"Prepare to have your veteran soldiers die (shows that), prepare to have your veteran soldiers spectacularly miss (a heavy missing a point-blank shot on a Thin Man, firing wildly into the air) and die, prepare to have whole squadrons of soldiers miss their targets and die."

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I was just thinking and I would really love to see some kind of combat fatigue system in X-Com, which requires you to rest and switch soldiers more often.

A bravery stat, as in the original, could nicely tie into this.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

I was just thinking and I would really love to see some kind of combat fatigue system in X-Com, which requires you to rest and switch soldiers more often.

A bravery stat, as in the original, could nicely tie into this.

Long War has this.

It's pretty terribly implemented.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Long War is a mod that has a lot of great ideas and implements some of them well but most of them poorly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

The intro to this video cracks me up.

"Prepare to have your veteran soldiers die (shows that), prepare to have your veteran soldiers spectacularly miss (a heavy missing a point-blank shot on a Thin Man, firing wildly into the air) and die, prepare to have whole squadrons of soldiers miss their targets and die."

This is actually a pretty decent video, and (rarely for videogame "journalists") the guy in the video isn't completely insufferable (or even unpleasant or unfunny at all, actually)

He has decent Battlescape play, but the Geoscape isn't great (again, because it isn't obvious that you can pipeline your Satellite buildup, and in fact not doing this on Classic or above is a guaranteed recipe for failure). Overwatch pot-shots might not be the best idea either, and he does call out the existence of Opportunist, so it's not like he's unaware of the Overwatch aim penalty.

(not that it matters since this video is like a year old)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I wonder how many strategies will be invalidated by Enemy Within. For example, the need to speed at least a little or else you don't get any meld in a mission.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I wonder how many strategies will be invalidated by Enemy Within. For example, the need to speed at least a little or else you don't get any meld in a mission.

Even the geoscape will be shaken up. New stuff costs cash on top of meld, and you'll have exalt out there adding missions, and sabotage.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

itskage posted:

Even the geoscape will be shaken up. New stuff costs cash on top of meld, and you'll have exalt out there adding missions, and sabotage.

I was under the impression that the meld timers don't start ticking until you find the canisters (based on the videos I've seen, at least). It seems like it's a race after that though.

Am I wrong?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I was under the impression that the meld timers don't start ticking until you find the canisters (based on the videos I've seen, at least). It seems like it's a race after that though.

Am I wrong?

Meld canisters start ticking immediately. You don't get to see the counter until you find them, though (but if you finish the map without finding it, and it hasn't timed out, you get it anyway).

According to interviews, all abductions and UFO maps have two Meld canisters, one of which is easy to find and get to and one is hard. They don't respawn if you get the same map again; Meld is a semi-limited resource, though you do get a bit from killing Mechtoids.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I bet you can still beat the game without any/many of the gene mods, and without using mechs. The devs have outright stated that you can ignore EXALT too. On normal difficulty you can probably play the game exactly the same way with no severe consequences. You'll still get some meld often enough from high-timer capsules located close to the landing zone.

The biggest fundamental change, I suspect, will be the changes to line of sight, where there are more ways to make your soldiers stealthy, and the aliens have a stealthy unit of their own.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

XCOM:EW Ironman Mode: The canisters start ticking down in real time. :getin:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mortabis posted:

...The devs have outright stated that you can ignore EXALT too. On normal difficulty you can probably play the game exactly the same way with no severe consequences...
If one can ignore EXALT then what's the point of adding them? It would be a serious design flaw if one could play EW just like playing the original XCOM.

If Firaxis spent all this effort adding the EXALT faction and EXALT had no impact on your game, then that's the equivalent of adding a second Memorial Wall to give tribute to all the civilians who were killed on terror missions.

I hope you are wrong, but on the other hand, there is a useless Memorial Wall in the game already...so you might be right.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

nnnotime posted:

If one can ignore EXALT then what's the point of adding them? It would be a serious design flaw if one could play EW just like playing the original XCOM.

If Firaxis spent all this effort adding the EXALT faction and EXALT had no impact on your game, then that's the equivalent of adding a second Memorial Wall to give tribute to all the civilians who were killed on terror missions.

I hope you are wrong, but on the other hand, there is a useless Memorial Wall in the game already...so you might be right.

The main dev said that it might be possible to ignore Exalt completely but that it would be really difficult bordering on impossible. It would also be really annoying and frustrating since if you ignore them, they reset your research, steal your money and raise panic all over the place.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

nnnotime posted:

The memorial wall is useless because I load when my folks die.

I mean you can beat the game without fighting them but they will sting pretty hard if you do that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My question about Exalt is, how frequently do they do their actions? Like, are we looking at two covert ops a month? Three? One every two months? Assuming that the devs didn't space out the alien missions more to compensate for adding a new mission source, it might become necessary to have a couple standing squads, just so you have guys available for fighting Exalt while your alien-busting crew is in hospital from the last UFO crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mzbundifund posted:

My question about Exalt is, how frequently do they do their actions? Like, are we looking at two covert ops a month? Three? One every two months? Assuming that the devs didn't space out the alien missions more to compensate for adding a new mission source, it might become necessary to have a couple standing squads, just so you have guys available for fighting Exalt while your alien-busting crew is in hospital from the last UFO crash.
You appear to be answering your own question, and I agree. Ironically the activities of the EXALT faction on top of the regular alien missions may have EW play similar to the Long War mod: more missions per month with fewer able-bodied troops available, with the risk of losing your A-Team troops more often.

Impossible difficulty may truly be impossible in EW. And I think you people will find the Implassic mod quite a challenge after EW is released.

• Locked thread