Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Oh god mootmoot has hijacked his account!

You could tell it was moot by how he just slid that one in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Xovaan posted:

Bandit 600 may be a fast bike but Bandit seating makes even my B1200 seem slow as gently caress. :colbert:

I seem to catch myself doing way over the speed limit an awful lot on it entirely by accident. Gotta go slow.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
*ahem* They're 650s now, tyvm. :colbert:

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Triple digits on a bandit definitely doesn't feel like like it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Richard Bong posted:

Triple digits on a bandit definitely doesn't feel like like it.

Try a naked.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KARMA! posted:

Try a naked.

Me or the bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

Try a naked.

This. Not having fairings means 230kmh is as fast as you can realistically go before you fly off. Unless you're really short.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

KARMA! posted:

Try a naked.

You're not wrong there - mines huge fun up to about 80. Past 100 and you're genuinely holding on!

Not so bad in summer, but I did a 75 mile ride in the rain and cold - that bad boy ain't a tourer :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chris Knight posted:

*ahem* They're 650s now, tyvm. :colbert:

Those are impostors. A real Bandit is oil-cooled, none this fancy "wa-ter" mumbojumbo.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

We talking about waturd cooling? :smugdog:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

This. Not having fairings means 230kmh is as fast as you can realistically go before you fly off. Unless you're really short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-tSm0XZfI
:v:

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

KozmoNaut posted:

Those are impostors. A real Bandit is oil-cooled, none this fancy "wa-ter" mumbojumbo.

Not all of em, mine is a 650 with a carburetor and oil/air cooling...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nothing quite like watching a bike just walk away from a gixxer 1k flat out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If there was ever a bike that legitimately needed a stretched swingarm, it's that one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Is he seriously getting 500 horsepower from 1400cc? That's 357hp/l...the old turbo F1 cars only got about 800 from 1.5 liters and those engines lasted like one race. :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Is he seriously getting 500 horsepower from 1400cc? That's 357hp/l...the old turbo F1 cars only got about 800 from 1.5 liters and those engines lasted like one race. :psyduck:

It isn't that outlandish when you can get 600bhp out of an sr20det if you don't give a poo poo about longevity, and a bike engine doesn't need to contend with a big heavy load nor does it have anywhere near as much parasitic loss. It seems difficult but not implausible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
An SR20DET producing 600hp is 300hp/L. That TARBOBUSA is a level above that.

I'd imagine that a lot of it just comes from a high redline and tuning exclusively for that end of the range, but still, it's pretty mind-blowing to think about. A Ferrari F40 makes less overall power from more than twice the displacement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I'd imagine that a lot of it just comes from a high redline and tuning exclusively for that end of the range, but still, it's pretty mind-blowing to think about. A Ferrari F40 makes less overall power from more than twice the displacement.

A ferrari f40 is also thirty years old and not a bike engine so it isn't really a valid comparison; going that route I could argue that a huge number of cars make half the horsepower of my bike with ~~twice the displacement~~. It's academically interesting but not particularly awe-inspiring to me; the sort of horsepower attainable from an RSV4 or S1000 engine naturally aspirated is, I think, significantly more impressive.

I also don't really see how you could use that sort of power at anything below highway speeds; after a certain point it's just ponies you aren't using because you would somersault.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why does everyone here automatically assume that the bike is making 500 horsepower? People lie about power output very frequently.

Sagebrush posted:

You need cubic amounts of dollars and countless labor hours in order to get consistant 600hp out of SR20DET. And by the time you're finished, most of the factory parts will be replaced with aftermarket. It's also a solid platform that was specifically designed for boost and has several decades of aftermarket support.

I know nothing of Hayabusa engines, but I bet you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 5, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Why does everyone here automatically assume that the bike is making 500 horsepower? People lie about power output very frequently.

That's what we're arguing over.

*wheelies off on 1000BHP KLR650*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

You need cubic amounts of dollars and countless labor hours in order to get consistant 600hp out of SR20DET. And by the time you're finished, most of the factory parts will be replaced with aftermarket. It's also a solid platform that was specifically designed for boost and has several decades of aftermarket support.

I know nothing of Hayabusa engines, but I bet you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Read my post directly above yours.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Glad we're on the same page

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
IIRC that's a pretty old (older than '08 for sure) Ghostrider vid, and Ghostrider vids are full of outlandish claims to sell tapes. It's not making 500 HP, not even close. If it was, its top speed would be much higher than the 300km/h advertised, which can be hit all day long by bikes like the S1000RR with far less than half that HP claim. It would also destroy the rear tire at a horrifying rate (it's not even wearing slicks) and have trouble with traction at best.

Drag bikes often don't get near those power numbers and they run squared off drag slicks and wheelie bars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
God I really need to build a turbo bike. It'd be so fun to throw down on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wouldn't be surprised if it is making over 300hp - the Hayabusas with the MCXpress kits start at like 400hp. The thing has no fairings. And it's running away from a fully faired GSXR1000. Over 180mph.
Some turbo Hayabusas are throwing down over 700whp.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 5, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Some turbo Hayabusas are throwing down over 700whp.

For how many revolutions of the engine?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

For how many revolutions of the engine?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/08/10/warner-goes-311-mph-racing/
Well, here is one that made it at least 2.5 miles.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Christ I can't imagine what it would feel like going at the speed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

never happy posted:

Windy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Gesundheit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

never happy posted:

I think after a certain point you would struggle to tell the difference another 20mph make. Especially on a salt flat with no features whatsoever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

never happy posted:

Judging from my experiences at 65mph vs ~170mph, it doesn't really matter much. You're fully in the bubble, there's some buffeting, but the aero on the bike is doing most of the work for you and it's just windy. The full streamliners are also designed such that you're not in the wind.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
hmmm that makes sense. When I ride my KLR to it's top speed of like 160km it feels like the bike is about to fall apart from underneath and it's going to kick me off from all the wobbling. I guess being in a fiberglass container changes thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of my dreams is to someday drive a belly tank racer. Or even build one, though I doubt there are many war surplus drop-tanks being thrown away any more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

never happy posted:

hmmm that makes sense. When I ride my KLR to it's top speed of like 160km it feels like the bike is about to fall apart from underneath and it's going to kick me off from all the wobbling. I guess being in a fiberglass container changes thing.

Not being on a KLR changes things. Having a bike with really tall, really springy suspension and comparatively narrow wheels makes it terrifying, in my experience. Aerodynamics aren't THAT big a deal at 160 if you crouch down. All three naked bikes I've owned could do that speed without my feeling in danger, the SV650 got really light and vague feeling in the front but that was it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is no way in gently caress a SV650N is doing 160mph without one of the 100hp hand grenade motors in it.

edit: Oh, KPH.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

There is no way in gently caress a SV650N is doing 160mph without one of the 100hp hand grenade motors in it.

edit: Oh, KPH.

That would imply you thought I was replying to someone claiming their KLR was doing 160mph :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

That would imply you thought I was replying to someone claiming their KLR was doing 160mph :haw:

Well, when dropped out of an airplane...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

One of my dreams is to someday drive a belly tank racer. Or even build one, though I doubt there are many war surplus drop-tanks being thrown away any more.

I didnt even know this was a thing, that is awesome.

• Locked thread