Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Koe no Katachi is an adorable yet hard-hitting manga about a deaf girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Popehoist posted:

Is it safe to read now? I have been holding off because I don't want to start reading until I know that the current stopping point is a positive one, because drat that series can hit some serious emotional lows, and I don't want to be sitting on that for a week or however long.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its at a more positive note right now. I'm sure there will be a lot more drama yet though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oh god why did I start reading that :gonk: This is brutal.

e: Oh god why are there only nine chapters I need more :gonk:

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 20, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That sounds interesting but is the art like that consistently? It's not terrible but I can't help but be weirded out by the noses.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Oh god why did I start reading that :gonk: This is brutal.

e: Oh god why are there only nine chapters I need more :gonk:

I took a look at it anyways. Ouch. :negative::hf:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 21, 2013

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Popehoist posted:

I thought I was prepared. I was not. :cry:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh! More chapters of that have come out? Great! The author is such a great storyteller.

Man, though, it works the tragedy angle something fierce -- on par with a Korean manhwa!

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Popehoist posted:

It's pretty different from my own experiences, but I went to a special school for the deaf in America. I'll say that it gets a lot of little details right and I didn't notice any glaring inaccuracies that couldn't be attributed to the differences I already noted (the only bullying I got was from other deaf kids, heh, and it was pretty light). And, yeah, it gets pretty unpleasant, though nothing worse than what I've seen in some other Japanese high school manga--apparently the bullying problem is grim enough for it to be a frequent theme.

She's sweeter than I would be in those circumstances. And it really is pretty well written.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

This is Gundam Sousei, a fictionalized retelling of the saga to create Mobile Suit Gundam, starring Yoshiyuki Tomino, the biggest badass to ever grace the land.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Condiv posted:

Thanks for the honey & honey recommend, it's pretty interesting.

I've been reading this weird thing recently
Mahou Shoujo of the End - *warning violent*
:nws::nws:

Magical girls come to earth and kill everybody? Also the people they kill become zombies?

This is somehow hilarious. It reminds me of House of the Dead: Overkill.

Also the evil cop looks like the Tamer Cop sprite from Devil Survivor.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 24, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Read Hayate x Blade. I could really just post drat near any page of it.

Brief summary: Its chapter titles should indicate its genre: idiots being morons and doing stupid poo poo, which is objectively the best genre. It is near constant slapstick, sight gags, running jokes, and making fun of yuri and battle mangas. There are a ton of characters and every single one is loving rad.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 29, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

chumbler posted:

Read Hayate x Blade. I could really just post drat near any page of it.

Brief summary: Its chapter titles should indicate its genre: idiots being morons and doing stupid poo poo, which is objectively the best genre. It is near constant slapstick, sight gags, running jokes, and making fun of yuri and battle mangas. There are a ton of characters and every single one is loving rad.

I'll vouch for this. I'm a fan of anything done by Shizuru Hayashiya. The yuri parodies probably comes from her experience working in the genre (though Hayate x Blade isn't yuri itself, it just makes jokes about it). Also, unlike a number of images posted in this thread, that's highly representative of the whole manga. Really, chumbler wasn't kidding when they said they could post drat near any page of it.

One thing I like is that even the antagonists're pretty rad.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Immortal Hounds is set in a world where humans are immortal.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Popehoist posted:

Yeesh the first couple pages are pretty graphic, guess I shoulda expected that when immortality is the theme, but not invulnerability.

...some content

Iris Zero This poo poo is pretty drat cool and I hear it's gonna come off hiatus soon !

Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo This one is about grim reapers who grant last wishes for people who die unjustly, centers around a (maybe wrongly accused) murderer and his sister.

Kono Bijutsubu Niwa Mondai ga Aru! About an art club and romance maybe? Whatever it's lighthearted, funny and fun to read.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sinking Ship posted:

Iris Zero This poo poo is pretty drat cool and I hear it's gonna come off hiatus soon !

I do believe this is already updating again.

Sinking Ship posted:

Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo This one is about grim reapers who grant last wishes for people who die unjustly, centers around a (maybe wrongly accused) murderer and his sister.

This one was cancelled a while back and it really didn't get the ending it deserved.

Sinking Ship posted:

Kono Bijutsubu Niwa Mondai ga Aru! About an art club and romance maybe? Whatever it's lighthearted, funny and fun to read.

Not novel, but fun enough.

I think I too will post content. Call it a whim.

...so now I am having a hard time remembering what's been posted before in this thread, or even what I've posted before. Well, I don't think any of these have been posted in the few pages.

A Lollipop or a Bullet is or is close to wrapping up, I think. It's a short piece that is about children, and various horrible things that happen to them.

So, Japan Tengu Party Illustrated is a four-volume work from aaaaall the way back in 1995, apparently. Have you ever asked yourself, what is a tengu? What does a tengu mean? No, me neither, but this was really great anyway.

I think your ability to enjoy Knights of Sidonia depends largely on whether you can keep from giggling when you see the "placenta" repeated ad nauseum. Watching Tsutomu Nihei work through basic shounen tropes is a surreal experience.

Annarasumanara is both Korean and very pretty.

It is about a young lady who is poor. Do you believe in magic?

Man. I seem to be posting a lot of stuff about horrible things happening to teenagers. What could it mean?! :stare:

Swweeet is a favourite of mine: a short two-volume manga about a guy who is not altogether right in the head.

Moral. Cannibalism. Vengeance.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Autonomous Monster posted:

Man. I seem to be posting a lot of stuff about horrible things happening to teenagers. What could it mean?! :stare:

Swweeet is a favourite of mine: a short two-volume manga about a guy who is not altogether right in the head.

God, Swweeet is still depressing as gently caress. :smith:

You're right about Iris Zero having already resumed updates, I just went to check, I need to keep on top of these things better I guess.

I can really relate to struggling with not retreading old ground with these recommendations... have this

Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite Time travel story about a guy who is thrown back to his High School self to prevent his own murder 15 years later... I think. It's a bit explicit / fanservicey for my tastes but who can resist a good time travel story right ?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I'd also like to mention that Immortal Hounds is by the same mangaka as Uwagaki, which I posted in this thread ages ago. Sadly I can't reccomend it anymore as scanlators seem to have dropped it, but I found it fascinating and my enjoyment of it is pretty much the sole reason for reccomending his new work.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Popehoist posted:

I'd also like to mention that Immortal Hounds is by the same mangaka as Uwagaki, which I posted in this thread ages ago. Sadly I can't reccomend it anymore as scanlators seem to have dropped it, but I found it fascinating and my enjoyment of it is pretty much the sole reason for reccomending his new work.
I just read the first two chapters and I'm incredibly excited about this manga. The art is very good, and the premise is great. I can't even pin down what it is about the art that I really like.

Don't read this until after you read the chapters (or decide not to):
I was frankly shocked that the girl wasn't a protagonist. I really didn't expect her to die.

edit: Ahaha, from Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 30, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Elysiume posted:

Don't read this until after you read the chapters (or decide not to):
I was frankly shocked that the girl wasn't a protagonist. I really didn't expect her to die.
I figured she would, they foreshadowed it pretty well.

Can't tell if the EA is a girl or simply disguised, though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jackard posted:

I figured she would, they foreshadowed it pretty well.

Can't tell if the EA is a girl or simply disguised, though.
She just struck me as main-character like. I think I wasn't expecting it to be as dark as it was. I'll be honest here, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of her trying to find him while her brother tries to find him for other reasons and then everyone lives happily ever after. :downs:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Popehoist posted:

Was disappointed when I found out there are only two chapters to this. It was pretty good, but one thing that bugged me was END OF CH 2 SPOILERS the Clark Kent Syndrome with the EA. Oh, take off the maid outfit and who is this person what?!

But I'll be sticking around to see how it goes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sinking Ship posted:

This guy's doing a pretty drat good impression of Keima Katsuragi here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leper Residue posted:

Was disappointed when I found out there are only two chapters to this. It was pretty good, but one thing that bugged me was END OF CH 2 SPOILERS the Clark Kent Syndrome with the EA. Oh, take off the maid outfit and who is this person what?!

Yeah that was a real eyeroller. The premise of it is really interesting but the first two chapters didn't impress.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Spirits Flying in the Sky A great collection of short stories by the always impressive Igarashi Daisuke.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Leper Residue posted:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

This might just be the stupidest thing I've ever read. But I feel that if he is bitter about Devil Blues getting canned, then this makes a lot more sense. A character with such insanely exaggerated assets being reduced to, literally, talking tits and pussy(most of the VP's dialogue balloons point towards one of these two things) and is absolutely never in a scene without some form of absurd fanservice seems extremely cynical to me, let alone the rest of it.

Either that or he's just doing what he TRULY loves. Either way it was really, really, incredibly stupid. But also really funny at times, and the intense seriousness to every retarded situation makes for amusing scenes on their own.

I don't even think I could recommend it. But I did get some really good laughs out of it. It's basically something that if you take it seriously for even a second, you've already lost.

Also the fact that the main dude is the only one of the five who isn't just a giant loving goony freak who's totally fine with the Hot Chick abusing him because it means a girl is interacting with him.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sinking Ship posted:

Just want to note that while this manga was good, it apparently got canceled and ended without actually resolving, well, much of anything. So don't read it if that sort of thing is bothersome.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

edit: Actually.. Do you have anything citing that it was in fact cancelled? I can see how it's a really crappy ending but would also be what the author chose to do with it.

There was clues throughout indicating who it might be and why, and if the ending was serious then it was one of the shown characters. The main character died and the lingering previous plot points were somewhat resolved. Shizuka mentioned "He didn't have much time left" I guess?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 31, 2013

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Anatharon posted:

edit: Actually.. Do you have anything citing that it was in fact cancelled? I can see how it's a really crappy ending but would also be what the author chose to do with it.

There was clues throughout indicating who it might be and why, and if the ending was serious then it was one of the shown characters. The main character died and the lingering previous plot points were somewhat resolved. Shizuka mentioned "He didn't have much time left" I guess?

Think I remember someone saying the author admitted at some point on twitter that he had ended it because he wrote himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to write out of it.

Also not sure whether I should recommend his newer series, Scumbag Loser, or not. It's complete, but translations only recently started up for it, and it seems kinda :stare: Sorta reminds me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers I guess.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Moral. Cannibalism. Vengeance.

Until I read swweeet I assumed the lower image was of it.

I have no idea what is real and what is not. The Mangaka died, too, I hear, but it was definetly interesting.

Zandracon posted:

Think I remember someone saying the author admitted at some point on twitter that he had ended it because he wrote himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to write out of it.

Also not sure whether I should recommend his newer series, Scumbag Loser, or not. It's complete, but translations only recently started up for it, and it seems kinda :stare: Sorta reminds me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers I guess.

Aw, that's just depressing then. :smith:

The entire thing up until the end was so well done.

edit: When was it axed? I doubt the mangaka will ever finish it but who knows, maybe he'll let someone else do it.

Man I'm really packing this post with stuff.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 1, 2013

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Anatharon posted:

I found a thread discussing the ending and they said it was canceled. I didn't look too deeply into it beyond verifying that it had, in fact, ended.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My Wife is Wagatsuma-san

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Captain Invictus posted:

This might just be the stupidest thing I've ever read. But I feel that if he is bitter about Devil Blues getting canned, then this makes a lot more sense. A character with such insanely exaggerated assets being reduced to, literally, talking tits and pussy(most of the VP's dialogue balloons point towards one of these two things) and is absolutely never in a scene without some form of absurd fanservice seems extremely cynical to me, let alone the rest of it.

That's supposedly the story with HSDK where apparently the author spent his first collection blub bitching about nobody giving a poo poo about his work until he put giant tits and fan service in and how he's now cancellation proof and can tell whatever story he wants as long as he puts in boobs.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

SirDan3k posted:

That's supposedly the story with HSDK where apparently the author spent his first collection blub bitching about nobody giving a poo poo about his work until he put giant tits and fan service in and how he's now cancellation proof and can tell whatever story he wants as long as he puts in boobs.

So I guess making his work actually interesting never occurred to him. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mirai Nikki.

I either really like this manga or I really don't and I still can't figure out which.

Also I don't think the creator likes women, the first two introduced are absolutely nuts. :v:

This one was my other idea but it's slightly spoiler-y.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 5, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Randallteal posted:

My Wife is Wagatsuma-san

It's really crazy how great a lot of the single pages are and can be posted in this thread. And the reaction faces. This series can get pretty god drat pervy at times but it's got a great premise and seems to be progressing decently. I just got to this page and it made me chortle. It's so god drat stupid and one character in particular is the literal worst and kinda offensive that he even exists, but he's almost never around so it's easy enough to ignore his presence.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

coathat posted:

Spirits Flying in the Sky A great collection of short stories by the always impressive Igarashi Daisuke.
Really enjoying this. Thank you. :)

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

chami posted:

So I guess making his work actually interesting never occurred to him. :v:

Mx0 stands as counterexample.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Zandracon posted:

Just for the hell of it I gave it a read and it's... it's something. Invasion of the Body Snatchers combined with Magical Girlfriend starring an utterly repugnant piece of poo poo who's only the least detestable character because everyone else is an even shittier person seems like the best way to describe it. But it's a horror series and at least does a good job of being fairly unsettling, especially the last few pages of the most recently translated chapter, so that works for it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Suben posted:

Just for the hell of it I gave it a read and it's... it's something. Invasion of the Body Snatchers combined with Magical Girlfriend starring an utterly repugnant piece of poo poo who's only the least detestable character because everyone else is an even shittier person seems like the best way to describe it. But it's a horror series and at least does a good job of being fairly unsettling, especially the last few pages of the most recently translated chapter, so that works for it I guess.

"Really? They're pretty fugly" says the Snatcher who is fake-dating a massive :btroll:. :v:

Shinigami-whatever is way better, I think, but Scumbag Loser isn't straight up bad. Yet, at least.

• Locked thread