Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just call Lenovo every day until it arrives, they will put a rush on it. Probably the reason why your ship date keeps getting bounced around is because it's currently marked as lowest priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Posting from a shiny new T430. The enhanced screen is most definitely worth the upgrade, the keyboard feels great, the speakers sound really good and the build quality is markedly better than my old Dell. But the touchpad has this irritating habit of not working intermittently. Is this a Lenovo thing, a touchpad thing or a me just being unlucky with build quality thing?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I am trying to find a laptop for my wife to replace my old Asus n51vf and her ancient Acer netbook which somehow has yet to give up the blue smoke. It's going to be used for basic interneting, but also to play minecraft which is the only game that she plays and can be somewhat demanding on systems. Being a desktop guy I'm not really even sure what to look for, but I am leaning toward some sort of 13" ultrabook, preferably of the super thin and light variety, price is not an issue, but I do want it to have some longevity so I'd like the newest gen cpu and gpu.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am pretty confused on the Yoga 11s. I was at Best Buy today and they had a version with Haswell. So tonight I was going to do some shopping around and see what I could find for a price. I was on Lenovo's site and they don't show the 11s with haswell being available. I talked to a sales rep in the chat window and he said not available until December.

What is actually happening? Do I have to buy a laptop from Bestbuy? This sounds like a terrible idea (do they still open all the boxes and mess with the laptops? I really have no idea since I haven't bought a computer there in maybe 10 years)

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I've started to travel a lot for business. I'm looking for a laptop that's easy to lug around airports.

Its main function will be to log into VPN and remote connect to my work PC, and also to play World of Warcraft well from the hotel room. I borrowed my friends "gaming" laptop, and I hated how heavy it was while waiting in lines in the airport, so weight is a factor. I'll probably be also watching netflix, web browsing, etc...

I'm willing to throw $1,000 at it, but I'd rather keep the cost as low as possible while still hitting those targets easily.

About 20 pages back someone recommended y510p/y410p for gaming. Would those still be the recommended ones, or is that overkill? WoW is a pretty old game, and I don't imagine it takes a lot. Also, would I notice a difference if I choose y510p over y410p (would it be worth the extra $250 for what I'm using it for?)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

flakeloaf posted:

Posting from a shiny new T430. The enhanced screen is most definitely worth the upgrade, the keyboard feels great, the speakers sound really good and the build quality is markedly better than my old Dell. But the touchpad has this irritating habit of not working intermittently. Is this a Lenovo thing, a touchpad thing or a me just being unlucky with build quality thing?

Do you mean T440? (The T430 has perhaps the worst speakers I've ever heard)

As for the touchpad there are some settings I'm control panel to fiddle with - I think by default it gives priority to the track point and keyboard as well as applying some really aggressive palm check.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I found on the Helix that all my problems except the inability to configure the middle button to middle click went away when setting the palm detection to the lowest level.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

shrughes posted:

I found on the Helix that all my problems except the inability to configure the middle button to middle click went away when setting the palm detection to the lowest level.

Turning off all the palm detection poo poo and the other associated "smart detection type things" of all kinds VASTLY improved the touchpad on my thinkpad. Those synaptics drivers are loving atrocious.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

spwrozek posted:

I am pretty confused on the Yoga 11s. I was at Best Buy today and they had a version with Haswell. So tonight I was going to do some shopping around and see what I could find for a price. I was on Lenovo's site and they don't show the 11s with haswell being available. I talked to a sales rep in the chat window and he said not available until December.

What is actually happening? Do I have to buy a laptop from Bestbuy? This sounds like a terrible idea (do they still open all the boxes and mess with the laptops? I really have no idea since I haven't bought a computer there in maybe 10 years)

From what I could gather yes it is a BB exclusive for the moment.

No, they no longer gently caress with the laptops before sale.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

QuarkJets posted:

Should still work great, unless they started welding the case shut or something; the whole thing is pretty easy, feel free to ask questions here if anything is confusing

Awesome, thanks.

In other news, I just got my shipping notice for the Y410p, so I don't know if I'm being deceived like everyone else on their Lenovos or what:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I think the shipping 'issues' have just been the predicted ship date bouncing around, presumably due to pessimism in their predictions to avoid missing an estimate. Once it's gotten a tracking number you should be golden. In my case the Lenovo site originally said it wouldn't ship until the 20th, then the 8th, but it's now in UPS' hands and should be delivered Friday/the 8th.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it's kosher to post this here but I have an SA-Mart thread about buying a laptop to bring to a potential job in Antarctica. Was thinking maybe some of you guys had something decent you were looking to sell?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dancing Peasant posted:

Awesome, thanks.

In other news, I just got my shipping notice for the Y410p, so I don't know if I'm being deceived like everyone else on their Lenovos or what:

You should be fine. It's only the estimated ship date that's pure fiction and has no relationship to the actual likely period of time that your laptop will be shipped.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
I did a little showrooming at Best Buy yesterday and checked out the Inspiron 7000. They had a 15" with the 1080p screen and it looked pretty awesome. Responsive touchscreen, acceptable to good keyboard (little shallow but not bothersome), great looking design. It's a little heavier than other laptops in it's class, but I couldn't feel it in the store. Build quality felt excellent, but of course things like flex aren't a pure indication of reliability. Screen was good at 1080p.

All in all, I think I'm going to wait for some Black Friday sales and pick one up with the SSD/1080p/750m configuration.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I actually looked at the same laptop as well and decided I didn't like it. Too heavy, too square, keyboard in a weird spot. Performance wise it did seem ok though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Not sure if it's kosher to post this here but I have an SA-Mart thread about buying a laptop to bring to a potential job in Antarctica. Was thinking maybe some of you guys had something decent you were looking to sell?

Your price range is $400 "or a couple hundred dollars higher for a smoking deal"

You can buy a brand new T430/T440 for around $650 using the :siren: link in the OP. It has been built with ruggedization in mind (they are flight qualified for NASA), and spare parts are easy to come by. The screen on the T430 won't win any contests... but it will survive a trip from North America to Antartica.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's an Inspiron so corners will be cut and there will be plenty of consumer-level components/finish/etc

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Malderi posted:

I did a little showrooming at Best Buy yesterday and checked out the Inspiron 7000. They had a 15" with the 1080p screen and it looked pretty awesome. Responsive touchscreen, acceptable to good keyboard (little shallow but not bothersome), great looking design. It's a little heavier than other laptops in it's class, but I couldn't feel it in the store. Build quality felt excellent, but of course things like flex aren't a pure indication of reliability. Screen was good at 1080p.

All in all, I think I'm going to wait for some Black Friday sales and pick one up with the SSD/1080p/750m configuration.

I asked about this one a page, or two, back. It was pointed out to me that the processor was rather weak for what I was looking for (gaming desktop replacement). I referenced this when coming to this conclusion. If it had a better processor, I'd really consider purchasing it.

So, I'm back to the y510p. I know this thread is somewhat down on the SLI option, but it still looks enticing for it's price.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
Yeah, the processor is definitely not a workstation grade. But I'm basically a Web browsing and gaming type. Games are so far from being CPU-bound these days that I'm not worried (with a few exceptions). And it's still the same CPU power as in, say, the upgraded Air, which is plenty fine for most (i7-4500u).

Plus it means that you've got a 15 inch Windows laptop with 9-10 hours of battery life, which is pretty insane. Of course, turning on the GPU and gaming will eat through that a bit quicker...

Edit: Also, your comparison link is against desktop CPUs in the graph, so there's definitely going to be a difference there...

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nitis posted:

So, I'm back to the y510p. I know this thread is somewhat down on the SLI option, but it still looks enticing for it's price.

I have the y500 sli model, that's the generation older model with ivy Bridge and 650m. My experience has been great: SLI makes a big difference in performance without any overheating issues. If you're looking for gaming performance I'd recommend it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dissss posted:

Do you mean T440? (The T430 has perhaps the worst speakers I've ever heard)

As for the touchpad there are some settings I'm control panel to fiddle with - I think by default it gives priority to the track point and keyboard as well as applying some really aggressive palm check.

Nope, it's definitely a 430. Maybe I'm just used to my old tinny speakers.

Shutting off the gestures and cranking the palm detection has certainly helped but it will still occasionally conk out and force me to use the nipple mouse, which isn't exactly an awful experience either.

But gently caress the function key being where control oughta be.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

But gently caress the function key being where control oughta be.

You can change that in the bios. :ssh:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Your price range is $400 "or a couple hundred dollars higher for a smoking deal"

You can buy a brand new T430/T440 for around $650 using the :siren: link in the OP. It has been built with ruggedization in mind (they are flight qualified for NASA), and spare parts are easy to come by. The screen on the T430 won't win any contests... but it will survive a trip from North America to Antartica.

Yeah, but I'd be leaving in less than two weeks. This is really last minute and I can't go on Lenovo shipping speeds

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm pretty curious what sort of "potential" job in Antarctica only has 2 weeks notice

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is the Yoga 2 Pro (4GB) considered a bad deal for any reason other than the color issue? I rely like the laptop and ice come close to getting it but I'm convinced (for no reason) it's a lemon of some sort.

It had everything i want and feels great. I was debating tonight at Best Buy between it and the Lenovo U430. The latter is nice, but I don't like the track pad at all. It feels "springy" to me.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 7, 2013

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm pretty curious what sort of "potential" job in Antarctica only has 2 weeks notice

Apparently because of the government shutdown, the research season was canceled. They decided to try and go ahead with it a month or so late anyway, so now they're scrambling for people. I got an email yesterday morning asking for an updated resume (I had applied previously), then had a quick phone interview an hour later. I was supposed to get a call from a manager down there to do the official phone interview, but seems like they're a no-show. I'll see what HR has to say tomorrow.

It's an IT position, if that's what you meant, though.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Anyone have any hands on experience with the XPS 15 Touch (2013)? Potentially an alternative for a 15" MBP.

I'd get the 16GB / 512GB configuration.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

me your dad posted:

Is the Yoga 2 Pro (4GB) considered a bad deal for any reason other than the color issue? I rely like the laptop and ice come close to getting it but I'm convinced (for no reason) it's a lemon of some sort.

It had everything i want and feels great. I was debating tonight at Best Buy between it and the Lenovo U430. The latter is nice, but I don't like the track pad at all. It feels "springy" to me.

I should qualify this by saying I have a yoga 2 on order. From everything I have read, no, the warts are pretty evident and if you can live with them then it is a well priced machine. Just keep in mind that the memory is not upgradeable--4 gb is fine for most stuff but I don't know what you will be doing. I guess QHD even with 8.1's improved scaling will still make some poo poo microscopic.

Your particular example could end up being a dud, but on the whole, and yellow issue aside, there don't seem to be any glaring engineering flaws. Time will tell.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I went out to buy a macbook air, but upon actually manipulating one I was not so sure anymore... Will that flimsy thing survive constant travel and use in public transport, on flights ?
The T440s looked so much more rugged...

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

me your dad posted:

I just picked one up at BB a couple days ago. I definitely notice the yellow issue, but nothing I do on the machine is color-sensitive at the moment, and the $899 price tag was just too good to pass up.

I love it so far.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The only thing I would add about the Yoga 2 Pro is that the 8/256 model is $1080 (plus tax) from Lenovo via B&N link, or at least was a week or two ago. If you can stand to wait a month or more to actually get it, doubling ram and SSD for under $200 could be worth it to you.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

From what I could gather yes it is a BB exclusive for the moment.

No, they no longer gently caress with the laptops before sale.

This seems great since I'm in the states for a bit and wouldn't mind picking up a new laptop since mine is almost dead - two days before my trip everything kind of died, but it's been on its last legs for a very long time.

The 11S seems like a perfect fit for me - I was waiting on the Bay Trail tablets, but for a little more I get a full laptop design and better specs. The screen resolution is a little disappointing, but my current laptop sports the same and I'd say it's a sacrifice I can make on an otherwise decent machine. It's either go mid to high end with that or a Surface, or go low end on a Bay Trail tablet. The stability of a "real" laptop is more enticing, and as far as I know Lenovo still makes reasonably good products.....right?

Or make the decision less impulsively. Then again, if none of these manufacturers offer an international warranty then I might as well forget it since I'm going back to Canada in a few days.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

tijag posted:

Anyone have any hands on experience with the XPS 15 Touch (2013)? Potentially an alternative for a 15" MBP.

I'd get the 16GB / 512GB configuration.

People who ordered on launch are just getting them now. For the closest thing to it, have this M3800: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/735359-dell-precision-m3800-owners-review.html

Keep in mind that the top spec XPS 15 will have no 2.5'' HDD and have that space filled by battery.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
And like magic my x230 is getting shipped. I was thinking about contacting a Rep to oil the gears, but it happened on its own.

So to re-cap:

Original ETD: 11/21
1st Revision: 11/07
2nd Revision: 11/15

Current ETD: 11/13 (Being shipped)

It seems like the closer the date gets, the better Lenovo can pinpoint its delivery time. First they play it high, then they gave me the best odds, then they give it to me straight and the truth isn't far from it.

Edit: but the spergin makes the time go by faster :3:

~you'd sperg too if it happened to you~

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You guys need to quit spergin' over Lenovo shipping dates. They are never accurate and it will get here when it gets here.

Anyone else got their Latitude E7440 yet? My friend got hers the other day, and yesterday it wouldn't stay powered up so they sent a Dell tech out today to fix it. Replaced the AC jack and motherboard, still doesn't power on (doesn't power on through the docking station either), so Dell wants the laptop back to fix it. So she's stuck without a laptop. Durf.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Seriously, we know. Lenovo makes a great laptop but everything else about the process is poo poo.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I just picked one up at BB a couple days ago. I definitely notice the yellow issue, but nothing I do on the machine is color-sensitive at the moment, and the $899 price tag was just too good to pass up.

I love it so far.

Cool, thanks. I've been to Best Buy twice now, and each time I have tried the various models on display and each time, the Yoga Pro 2 felt best to me.

I have minor concerns over the RAM, but they're probably silly. This laptop would be used for plugged-in living room web surfing, Skype, the occasional indie game, and not much else. Unless web browsers will require significant RAM in the next few years I should be okay, right?

I'd love to get the model with more RAM but I can't justify the cost based on my intended use. And I don't have a student email address, which seems to be required for the B&N link.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

me your dad posted:

Cool, thanks. I've been to Best Buy twice now, and each time I have tried the various models on display and each time, the Yoga Pro 2 felt best to me.

I have minor concerns over the RAM, but they're probably silly. This laptop would be used for plugged-in living room web surfing, Skype, the occasional indie game, and not much else. Unless web browsers will require significant RAM in the next few years I should be okay, right?

I'd love to get the model with more RAM but I can't justify the cost based on my intended use. And I don't have a student email address, which seems to be required for the B&N link.

I had the same misgivings about the RAM, but I sat down and thought about my specific uses--I can't imagine I'll bump into that limit in any meaningful way throughout the life of the machine. The $300 premium for the upgrade made it almost a no-brainer.

Haven't hit a slowdown yet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I did buy the 11s last night. I don't think I will need more ram for my use. The ssd is a bit small or Windows is just huge but I can live with it. I can access all my music and video at home from the desktop and use mobile options on the road. Still though a bump to 256 would be nice but not for the price.

Really like the laptop so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WorldWarWonderful posted:

The 11S seems like a perfect fit for me - I was waiting on the Bay Trail tablets, but for a little more I get a full laptop design and better specs. The screen resolution is a little disappointing, but my current laptop sports the same and I'd say it's a sacrifice I can make on an otherwise decent machine. It's either go mid to high end with that or a Surface, or go low end on a Bay Trail tablet. The stability of a "real" laptop is more enticing, and as far as I know Lenovo still makes reasonably good products.....right?

The 11s is a solid laptop, can't vouch for the rest of their consumer lines. Yoga line is basically Thinkpad level engineering though.