Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

dupersaurus posted:

You might be able to spray each page liberally with fixative to prevent the graphite from rubbing off. You'd definitely want to test it on something similar that you don't care about, though.

I had the fixative thought myself, but then I thought about how many cans I would need for roughly 600 issues with probably an average of 10 pages (20 total when you include front and back)... It'd probably set me back a few bucks and probably wouldn't save any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Is there a thread that teaches you how to make an animated banner with photoshop for use in SA? I have the ad all ready made and animating, but I can't get it to save that way.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Pretty sure they're just animated gifs so any tutorial for that should be fine.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Mercedes posted:

Is there a thread that teaches you how to make an animated banner with photoshop for use in SA? I have the ad all ready made and animating, but I can't get it to save that way.

Instead of 'save as' use 'save for web and devices', choose gif top right and loop forever bottom right.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

raging bullwinkle posted:

Instead of 'save as' use 'save for web and devices', choose gif top right and loop forever bottom right.

This is what I was looking for! Thanks!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Does anyone have any experience with the stock photo service Ingimage? Their prices seem too good to be true, and there's not much real info on them out there.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I'm looking for a decent camera that record 1280x720@60p. I see a lot of choices out there, but I'm concerned about high motion scences blurring and actual picture quality. I'm hoping to use Twixtor to simulate 120 FPS and playing back at 24FPS to achieve 20% slomo.

Feasible? Could it look good? And what camera would be considered ideal? I am willing to drop a decent amount of cash on a good camera, and if it's possible to rent it first to do tests that'd be great.

sasurai
Aug 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 659 days!
Can anyone tell me what kind of painting this is? Oil, watercolor or acrylic? Or is it something else? I don't know how to differentiate between the different types.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

sasurai posted:

Can anyone tell me what kind of painting this is? Oil, watercolor or acrylic? Or is it something else? I don't know how to differentiate between the different types.

Do you have it as a bigger size? By the looks of it in its' current size, I'd wager it's neither and looks more like a digitally "paint"-filtered version of a camera phone pic, taken with a flash.

The edges seem really harsh, and their form and how they wrap around the shapes indicates a digital process and not any practical workflow that I know of. The gradients look really digital as well.

sasurai
Aug 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 659 days!

gimpfarfar posted:

Do you have it as a bigger size? By the looks of it in its' current size, I'd wager it's neither and looks more like a digitally "paint"-filtered version of a camera phone pic, taken with a flash.

The edges seem really harsh, and their form and how they wrap around the shapes indicates a digital process and not any practical workflow that I know of. The gradients look really digital as well.

Good eye lol. It's not actually filtered but redrawn from scratch on the computer with custom scripts + Photoshop. I was spending last night trying to make a convincing hand-painted look from a photo, but it looks like I failed. I'll keep your pointers in mind though.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

sasurai posted:

Good eye lol. It's not actually filtered but redrawn from scratch on the computer with custom scripts + Photoshop. I was spending last night trying to make a convincing hand-painted look from a photo, but it looks like I failed. I'll keep your pointers in mind though.

Cool :)

It's also a good idea to not use portraits obviously taken by flash photography or a cellphone. Most (if not all) good portrait painting is based on a well set-up 3-point lighting scheme, and those Photoshop painting demos you see on youtube, "watch me paint this perfect portrait by celebrity x", suffer from the same obvious trickery.

You'd probably be better off testing your algorithm on proper portrait photos, and maybe look at some oil/acrylic portrait painting demos for inspiration. Here's a few I found on youtube. In general, you try to simplify the form and gradients as much as you can, and darker areas are often left undetailed or simplified down to a only a few different colors or shades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbCdHIXP0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fztf9YFudjg

Starting with establishing larger areas of flat color, you then work yourself up in detail and down in brush size, with a focus on well-lit/important/high-contrast areas as you go along. The later versions of Photoshop also include some sort of "make your photo look like a painting"-filter, which could be worth checking out. The dead give away in your current setup is the gradients and the pixel-sharp edges all over.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Anyone have experience tracking down/hiring a voice actor for a video voice over? I'm probably going to need to dig one up for a work project but I'm not sure where to look, and I'm always hesitant to join those 'post your job for free and start looking for people NOW!' websites — just not familiar with them or the process.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

redcheval posted:

Anyone have experience tracking down/hiring a voice actor for a video voice over? I'm probably going to need to dig one up for a work project but I'm not sure where to look, and I'm always hesitant to join those 'post your job for free and start looking for people NOW!' websites — just not familiar with them or the process.

I saw someone advertising their services as a voice actor here on the forum actually:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487&pagenumber=4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

redcheval posted:

A friend of mine is The Voice Of StarbucksTM and usually seems interested in work. PM me if you want me to forward on the details.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks! I thought I'd seen some voice actor posters around but I'd not really needed to take note. Sent a couple PMs out!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Does anyone else have problems browsing iStock? Half the time when I search something it won't load the results, or it will only load one page and not let me go to the next.

It's been this way for ages.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Does anyone else have problems browsing iStock? Half the time when I search something it won't load the results, or it will only load one page and not let me go to the next.

It's been this way for ages.

Kind of OT, but if you're not specifically having to use iStock, take a look at pond5 as an alternative. Found it's far better on the customer service side, and they seem to keep it well updated / working.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I wrote an ebook on Google Docs and I'm looking for software that will help me format it. I'm not looking for anything too complicated. Here are a couple of examples from another ebook:

Chapter covers:

Two-column pages with page numbers:

Should I just try to use MS Word for this type of formatting, or do I need more specialized software?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Psimitry posted:

I had the fixative thought myself, but then I thought about how many cans I would need for roughly 600 issues with probably an average of 10 pages (20 total when you include front and back)... It'd probably set me back a few bucks and probably wouldn't save any time.

Hairspray is a decent alternative to artists fixative. Not sure how well it would help with scanner rollers though.

And to publishing goon - don't try to do layouts in Word - that way lies madness. Scribus is a decent free DTP program from what I remember.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 3, 2013

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I had a stupid, simple image-manipulation question:

I was going to put together some screenshots for a game-mod I'm supporting (Implassic for XCOM), so for the screenshots I was going to summarize the mod features over existing game screenshots, as my mod does not add any new content to the game, besides changing the game's behavior.

I wanted to overlay some futuristic text over the game's screenshots, so in a way it looks like a power-point presentation.

What's a simple Windows-based software program that will let me overlay some hi-tech looking text? I can use MS Paint but the fonts don't appear like they are glowing or anything hi-tech looking.

I don't mind paying some money for the software, but I assume Photoshop would be overkill. I'll probably have no more than three screenshots.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nnnotime posted:

I had a stupid, simple image-manipulation question:

I was going to put together some screenshots for a game-mod I'm supporting (Implassic for XCOM), so for the screenshots I was going to summarize the mod features over existing game screenshots, as my mod does not add any new content to the game, besides changing the game's behavior.

I wanted to overlay some futuristic text over the game's screenshots, so in a way it looks like a power-point presentation.

What's a simple Windows-based software program that will let me overlay some hi-tech looking text? I can use MS Paint but the fonts don't appear like they are glowing or anything hi-tech looking.

I don't mind paying some money for the software, but I assume Photoshop would be overkill. I'll probably have no more than three screenshots.

Gimp is basically the open source, free equivalent to Photoshop.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

kedo posted:

Gimp is basically the open source, free equivalent to Photoshop.

Gimp is clunky and awkward, but powerful, and perfectly good for doing simpler things! Photoshop would be overkill, but you can get a free trial of it for a month or something from creative cloud if you aren't planning to use it again and gimp doesn't do what you want.

Felime fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 4, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Adobe also has Photoshop CS2 (a old but perfectly good version) -- a full version, no less -- up on its web site for free download.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take a look at Gimp and Photoshop CS2.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

dupersaurus posted:

Adobe also has Photoshop CS2 (a old but perfectly good version) -- a full version, no less -- up on its web site for free download.

No, they don't. You still need a license to legally use it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean if you want to be really lazy, PowerPoint? You get shapes, shadows, text effects etc. Really easy to use too.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've got a logo in AI format that I need save as a PNG is various sizes. For some reason every which way I export it results in dithering, I lose the crisp edges and it doesn't look as good as I want it to. I've tried the Following:

In Photoshop CS6:

- Open it up and select the logo I want from the AI, scale down with bicubic sharper.
- Open it up as a smart object and select the logo I want, scale down with bicubic sharper.

In Illustrator CC:

- Open it up, futz with the artboard then save for web and set the size there with Art Optimized.

Every time it just doesn't look as good, the edges aren't as crisp as they are in Illustrator. Can someone guide this poor fool through exporting a vector logo to PNG with transparency?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What you're doing should work, can you post some screens of it in illustrator and in photoshop?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

It's my companies logo and I'm little paranoid about showing it in it's full glory so I've covered some letters.

Photoshop:

Scaled down:

Saved as PNG:

Illustrator:

Scaled down:

Saved as PNG:

I swear the previous logo looks crisper. Could my laptops display be screwing with me?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ashex posted:

I swear the previous logo looks crisper. Could my laptops display be screwing with me?

No, they're rendered ever so slightly differently.

Top is the Illustrator .png, bottom is Photoshop. The differences are minor, but they're definitely there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Regardless, both resized pngs look fine. Ofcourse the edges look a little rough when you blow up a small image, I don't think there's any conceivable way to get it even crisper.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I see what you're saying, I'm primarily having issues with a certain portion of the logo (which is the giveaway):

Scaled Comparison

I'm losing the detail in the two swoops of the sphere, When I scale it down and throw it against a white background you can see it blend together in the top-right.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 6, 2013

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What are you using to scale it down? Maybe try scaling it in Illustrator or another vector program and then converting it to raster.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess I missed the part where you'd tried that.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
^ I would think that Illustrator already does that.

Anyways, you're running into the limitations of raster files. You may have to alter the image to accommodate small size usage.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Bugger, I was afraid of that. Clean it up a pixel at a time then?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That or make an alternate logo for small sizes. Or don't make it that small, of course.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You could try saving it as, like, a GIF with only a one or two colour palette. Might look a bit jaggy, though, I dunno.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yip Yips posted:

That or make an alternate logo for small sizes. Or don't make it that small, of course.

This is your solution. The termini of those two lines are way too small to render at super small sizes. I mean, that small one is 48x48 and they're only a pixel wide at the top.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

kedo posted:

I want one as well! We should have some sort of goon Dribbble invite exchange program.

Did this ever take off? I'd like to hop on the Dribbble train if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Going to sound strange, buuuuut. . . I want to print an aircraft's fuselage lines at 1:1. I've been trying to figure this out in photoshop to no avail, and it seems all my google searches come up with how to get images to show 1:1 on your monitor (not what I want). What I want to do is print fuselage cross-sections (bottom right) at 1:1 on separate sheets of paper and tape them together.

Image in question: (naturally I am using a much larger source image that isn't convenient to upload)

I've tried setting the image scale in "image size" to its real life dimensions by inputting the real-world measurements, but that's isn't working. I don't care what size it ends up on my screen, just that I can span it over several sheets of paper (not doing the entire aircraft, just fuselage cross sections) and they end up being 1:1.

Thanks