Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
My new job has a gym so after work im gonna be gettin swole. but weightlifting is boring so what are some yospos approved scifi audiobooks? last thing i had time to read (i have to read like 1000+ pgs a month for school so i havent had time to read for fun :smith:) was startide rising and a couple culture books and i highly enjoyed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
boardwalk empire is a really good looking show. they have one of the few remaining steady cams in existence and I bet that's nice.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Shaggar posted:

boardwalk empire is a really good looking show. they have one of the few remaining steady cams in existence and I bet that's nice.

lollin at that sweet av

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
be sure to check out the link and internet explorer! its the most beautiful web experience !

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Amethyst posted:

oh you wern't that guy? who was that guy

it was me i just wanted to make him watch voyager like every other trek fan and then complain it's a right of passage

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
started playing skyrim and i realized general tullius is tigh

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

MindSet posted:

My new job has a gym so after work im gonna be gettin swole. but weightlifting is boring so what are some yospos approved scifi audiobooks? last thing i had time to read (i have to read like 1000+ pgs a month for school so i havent had time to read for fun :smith:) was startide rising and a couple culture books and i highly enjoyed them.

the old mans war trilogy i finished recently was decent and well narrated

the forever war is amazing and should be required reading for the thread

most of the china mieville stuff is decent too, the bas-lag trilogy has some dumb steampunk stuff but the underlying stories are amusing and again i liked the narrator. kraken was particularly good and i liked embassytown for as odd as it was

only book i advise not going audio would be anathem. the first couple hours would probably be weird with all the made up words

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
hes also the security dude in mass effect.... 3 i think? they all sort of blend together

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MindSet posted:

the audiobooks of anathem and american gods are both really good

mote in gods eye, not so much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh ya i need some recs too

whats some good recent-ish sci-fi that isnt nerdy as poo poo

no sex scenes pls

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Carthag posted:

oh ya i need some recs too

whats some good recent-ish sci-fi that isnt nerdy as poo poo

no sex scenes pls

the best newish sf I've read lately has been short stories by ted chiang and yoon ha lee

i don't think there are audiobooks but go find "stories of your life and others" and "conservation of shadows" if you can

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx

e: i dont listen to audiobooks because i get distracted and stop paying attention.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Carthag posted:

thx

e: i dont listen to audiobooks because i get distracted and stop paying attention.

i listen to them on marathon drives, they're perfect for that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ive tried it when commuting but i mostly just end up zoning out and having to rewind a bunch

its annoying as poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

i listen to them on marathon drives, they're perfect for that

when i have to drive 26.2 miles i usually listen to a black keys album

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Carthag posted:

ive tried it when commuting but i mostly just end up zoning out and having to rewind a bunch

i just started listening to audiobooks last week and i found that at first i had this problem, and after a while realized that i wasn't missing out on anything, really. mostly just the nonsense that isn't important to the story like 'he saids' and such and that i was getting the gist very well

granted this prolly wouldn't work well in a serious mystery where every little thing matters, ymmv.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

audiobooks were great during my pizza driver days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

started playing skyrim and i realized general tullius is tigh

hes one of the 3 or 4 voice actors in the entire game

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

DiggityDoink posted:

the old mans war trilogy i finished recently was decent and well narrated

the forever war is amazing and should be required reading for the thread

most of the china mieville stuff is decent too, the bas-lag trilogy has some dumb steampunk stuff but the underlying stories are amusing and again i liked the narrator. kraken was particularly good and i liked embassytown for as odd as it was

only book i advise not going audio would be anathem. the first couple hours would probably be weird with all the made up words

Thank's for the recs, unfortunately I have read the first two of these and I cannot stand mieville

Trig Discipline posted:

the audiobooks of anathem and american gods are both really good

mote in gods eye, not so much

Thanks I'll check this out. I already read TMiGE and I wouldn't revisit it for the world; I think I'm done with niven for a good long time

MindSet fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 7, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hugh howey's wool series is good postapocalyptic stuff

the final book was released not long ago too

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gus Hobbleton posted:

hes also the security dude in mass effect.... 3 i think? they all sort of blend together

ME 2 and 3. He's a side character but he has some decent character development. He doesn't have an eye patch though. :smith:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MindSet posted:

Thank's for the recs, unfortunately I have read the first two of these and I cannot stand mieville

Thanks I'll check this out. I already read TMiGE and I wouldn't revisit it for the world; I think I'm done with niven for a good long time

The Audible version of The First Law series is really, really good. Steven Pacey is a stud.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
picked up wind up girl on audible today, still working on ringworld.

not sure what to get next month

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont know how people can listen to audio books. i cant pay attention to them (well unless i'm driving that's the one exception)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i dont know how people can listen to audio books. i cant pay attention to them (well unless i'm driving that's the one exception)

yeah, same thing with podcasts too.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah i had trouble with it at first and i definitely can pay best attention while driving but after a while you kinda figure it out. and most of my work right now is pretty repetitive so it lends itself to podcasts / lps / audiobooks

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

i accidentally concentrate on them too much so its a bad idea while driving

same for learning other languages, they work well for me but i cant safely do it while driving, and while at home im too much of a coward to listen to the poo poo out loud and repeat along

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dur posted:

yeah, same thing with podcasts too.

mass transit, workouts

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

MindSet posted:

It's a bit pulpy but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten_Adventures_Book_1:_Sten

and the following books are good listens, I don't think there's an audiobook version of the last book though.

I'd listen to Peter F Hamilton books before those though, assuming you haven't read his works.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
open palm slam my hand on the mouse buttons to copy some conspiracy radio shows to my walkman, sit down with a cup of tea and some knitting. i do all the stitches, knit, purl, yo, bobbin chages,left AND right cable, even ssk bindoffs. drop the circular needles and pick up some 4mm straights and pull out some lever knitting, hit 100 spm.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

MindSet posted:

Dune has a really good full cast audio production.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
also the dying earth audiobooks are really great, the lyrical style of the dialogue lends itself really well to spoken word

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hubris.height posted:

picked up wind up girl on audible today, still working on ringworld.

not sure what to get next month

Stringent posted:

The Audible version of The First Law series is really, really good. Steven Pacey is a stud.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
listen to the audiotape versions of the star trek: voyager novelizations. they're very good

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
riverworld is a good listen too

"To Your Scattered Bodies Go" is such a badass title

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

listen to the audiotape versions of the star trek: voyager novelizations. they're very good

I'm disappointed that the covers to most Voyager books are banal and plain instead of the awful TNG/TOS books.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LP97S posted:

I'm disappointed that the covers to most Voyager books are banal and plain instead of the awful TNG/TOS books.

has anyone said Tuvok Shakur yet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

alternatively:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
he must have been really mad about his character because he got almost no development at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

golgo13sf posted:

has anyone said Tuvok Shakur yet

no but that should be someone's username now

• Locked thread