Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

Explain for those of us who forget GBS is there?

It's become an unmoderated cesspit of idiocy and bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And how is that different from normal? :iamafag:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
GBS has reverted back to being pre-4chan 4chan, but it's not as funny because the people posting are really bad at satire and irony.

e: so it's basically 4chan for 20-something instead if 12 year olds.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

And how is that different from normal? :iamafag:

It's a bit confusing, I'm not sure what is happening there really. I used to read a few of the megathreads that were in there but now their pretty much all ruined by shitposters or dead. It's like a FYAD-lite now.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Right now, GBS has 70 pages of threads.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
https://vimeo.com/77976339

This is definitely an awesome thing. Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I didn't see it in the last few pages.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RHIN0002 posted:

This is definitely an awesome thing. Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I didn't see it in the last few pages.

Yeah, saw that on halloween and cracked up. Still not as hilarious as the real thing though. Everytime I see the Alinea dessert videos they crack me up.

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRCx-3--wgI

fake edit: rofl, the end...all the yuppies be like OOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THATS SOOOO COOOOOL!!!!

real edit: related:

Batali dressed up as Guy Fieri for Halloween:

:kimchi:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

RHIN0002 posted:

I laughed out loud several times. This was really good.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I put together a video of my fav taste testing moments, all time top five. welp check it out everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKbgQ7LlVw

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

parthenocarpy posted:

I put together a video of my fav taste testing moments, all time top five. welp check it out everyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKbgQ7LlVw

this is like that video that is funny except it's not really funny, great job!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need a rec on how to use my shiny new induction burner. My wife got it for me as a gift, and my intended use is primarily for a stock pot/pasta pot when I'm cooking a big meal and don't want a big rear end pot getting in the way on the stove. Is there any other use it's particularly good for? How does stir frying work on it? It has both power and temperature settings that I don't understand. Also, I now know that none of my cookware save my cast iron (and probably my wok) are induction ready.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I need a rec on how to use my shiny new induction burner. My wife got it for me as a gift, and my intended use is primarily for a stock pot/pasta pot when I'm cooking a big meal and don't want a big rear end pot getting in the way on the stove. Is there any other use it's particularly good for? How does stir frying work on it? It has both power and temperature settings that I don't understand. Also, I now know that none of my cookware save my cast iron (and probably my wok) are induction ready.

Induction + Kuhn rikon pressure cooker is probably the proest thing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It has both power and temperature settings that I don't understand.

Hey, me too! Even with the translations, I still don't get most of them.

I pretty much only use mine for hotpot, I can't imagine that it puts out enough heat for a proper stir fry.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Their fine control generally makes them superb at keeping things warm, or melting sensitive food items - like chocolate - without the use of a double boiler. When we move, I might pick one up, too

Also, until you get more cookware, you can just set a slab of iron on it the width of your pot and use that.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Yeah, I've used a bunch of induction burners over the years, mostly to set up syrups and heat cocktails for events with no real kitchen. Anything more complex than "on" or "simmer" isn't very useful to me, but I've used ones that (allegedly) could rock a precise temp.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Charlie Trotter died this morning. :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mexican Coke is switching to HFC
http://www.latintimes.com/articles/9881/20131104/mexican-coke-coca-cola-sugar-cane-fructose.htm#.Unpd2JTwJcK

edit:
This is weird, Mexican Coke in the US will still contain sugar
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/mexican-coke-us-cane-sugar-20802838

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 6, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Canadian coke just uses sugar, too, but no one gets all excited about it, idgi.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, me too! Even with the translations, I still don't get most of them.

I pretty much only use mine for hotpot, I can't imagine that it puts out enough heat for a proper stir fry.

My buddy and I have been comparing stoves - we both use SMEG.

Mine is induction, his is gas..

I'm boiling a liter of water faster than he is, in the same casserole.

I use mine for wok all the time, and I can get a heat going that I just cannot get on any kind of ceramic or mass plates..

The only disadvantage to my induction is that the large burner is running at 7kw, so it can be clearly discerned on the meter when I turn on my stove..

Also... Hi GIWWIS - why are you still named after inferior sandwich?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Happy Hat posted:

My buddy and I have been comparing stoves - we both use SMEG.

Mine is induction, his is gas..

I'm boiling a liter of water faster than he is, in the same casserole.

I use mine for wok all the time, and I can get a heat going that I just cannot get on any kind of ceramic or mass plates..

The only disadvantage to my induction is that the large burner is running at 7kw, so it can be clearly discerned on the meter when I turn on my stove..

Also... Hi GIWWIS - why are you still named after inferior sandwich?

We have not had you here to be our moral guidepost. Welcome back. Now upbraid us.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:siren: :siren: :siren: HAPPY HAT! :allears: :kimchi:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo it's The Hat

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Happy Hat! I've missed your dangling corks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mediaphage posted:

Canadian coke just uses sugar, too, but no one gets all excited about it, idgi.
What I don't get is why people are willing to pay like $3 for a 16oz bottle of the stuff. For that kind of price you could probably make the poo poo at home yourself!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We have not had you here to be our moral guidepost. Welcome back. Now upbraid us.

I had to look upbraid up... First I thought it to be something to do with grooming, yet it seems I am wrong on that. It sounds like a grooming word however..

It is somewhat of a disappointment that it isn't...

Now a wall of text!

However:
On Goons with Spoons and the inferiority complex of the world...

Back when I was 19 I moved away from my parents, I moved as far away as possible, because I wanted to be in an exotic place, with exotic people, people who were entirely unlike myself, where I would be able to find new friends, new content in life and new experiences that I never envisioned getting.

Now - it wasn't because I didn't like my parents, my parents are good folk. My father cooks a lot (traditional Danish), mainly because he likes to eat a lot (which is clearly visible on the size of his gut, and discernible for the knowing eye on the way that he drags his feet when the gout sets in), my mother is a fine parent also - she has sought to instill values in me, which to some extend has failed, and to some extend has succeeded.

So it wasn't as much to get away, as it was to get to somewhere new..

Somewhere completely and utterly different.

Moving as far as possible in Denmark means that you move 300km...

My endeavour failed to such an extend, that the failure was directly palpable..

I was disappointed, finding that the same pale, blond people populated the streets, and not finding the majestic nature, nor the meaning of life in either the women (yes - I looked hard at that place, really hard - a lot of times.. many many many times... I mean - you have no idea how hard I looked... and when I say hard... I mean sweaty, sore, toecurling, hair-tearing, cursing in german hard...), the alcoholic beverages (they sold the same stuff as back home - imagine my confusion), the local art scene (women in woolen sweaters, without make-up, and no respect for a good bikini wax, however able to swear in German) or the local food - where the main difference was the kind of ketchup used for a hot-dog, and also that a beef-sandwich had gravy and caramelized onions...

So when I apparently couldn't go to the world (I was now landlocked, because of my academic endeavours), I had to bring the world to me, and I did so by starting to cook...

I cooked stuff I had never tasted before - I cooked meats that my parents didn't know existed, I tasted stuff as foreign and smelling of far away places, as curry powder...

Compared to my usual social circles I became known as that guy who could cook... Something I took great pride in!

And over time I started investing in cook books - just a few, and started widening my horizon a bit..

And then I discovered Goons with Spoons.. and discovered my own incompetence, my culinary impotence and I had to look down at my ineptitude and see it for what it truly was.

There it stared back at me, bloated, white and flaccid, flopping around and pretending to have a skill that would make ladies swoon (and swear at me in German). I knew it for what it was, and I knew what I had to do.

This is way back when - I think 2003 or 2004 - yes I lurked for quite a while before paying the kingly ransom of 10 dollars to participate..

Goons with spoons is where the world was brought to me - this is where people erudited me on foreign language, foreign customs and foreign foods that has repeatedly pushed the envelope for pleasure that I can bring to people, and to myself..

Entirely without cursing in German.

So this blemish on Goons with Spoons needs to be rubbed away - it needs to be removed, and the "Goons with Spoons" needs yet again to blaze across the night sky.

Yes, we're arrogant, yes we're insular, yes we're proud as gently caress.. But we also welcome raw talent, and we want nothing more than to see that raw talent transform itself to be able to undertake the earth shaking, the noble and the worthy. We are all of those things..

We cannot be those things under the banner of the chicken-cheese!

Give us our spoon back, and we will create!

---
tldr; The Chickencheese is kinda done with already, also mindphlux needs a new text on his avatar..

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Welcome back Happy Hat, welcome back.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
As it is written, so shall it be. Also, got any good dirty talk in German? Research purposes, of course.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

drat. That was like the GWS post version of a Rocky training montage.

Welcome back, Happy Hat!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also a key difference between portable induction units and a full range top is that the latter can be hooked up to more power, like a 20A circuit, which translates directly into faster heating just because of how much friggin energy you can dump into your cookware.

They do make those in standalone fashion, but they're rarer and more expensive: 20A induction burner on Amazon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Return Of The King. Hello, HH, you warmduscher!

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Could a Winnipeg GWC person help me find some sodium citrate? :kiddo:

Man, temperature control is kind of a luxury to me since I live in an apartment with a terrible electric coil cooktop... It'd STILL kind of be a luxury if I owned a 350-dollar induction cooktop, haha. The two aren't even comparable though, coil heat and gas/induction. I could tell the difference (And feel the freedom) immediately as I started to use a friend of mine's gas cooktop.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Modernist pantry will ship to Canada, though shipping can be dicey; best to put in a big order.

Alternatively, do you want a huge amount, or just enough to try the cheese sauce? I have a jar and can send you some; I'm in Ontario so it's not a huge cost to do so.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yes please mail small bags of white powder around the country.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Include a clumsily jotted down recipe for mac&cheese. And a crucifix.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You could try and make some sodium citrate yourself. I did that yesterday, and it worked as planned. I added a proper amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to citric acid in solution. I think it would be best to measure out the proper amount of baking soda into solution and then add the citric acid until it stops bubbling, then you'd have a solution of sodium citrate, without too much bicarbonate. It just releases CO2 as a by-product like those effervescent tablets or the vinegar baking soda volcanoes.

Of course then you have to find citric acid, but you may be able to get it at an asian grocery.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

You could try and make some sodium citrate yourself. I did that yesterday, and it worked as planned. I added a proper amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to citric acid in solution. I think it would be best to measure out the proper amount of baking soda into solution and then add the citric acid until it stops bubbling, then you'd have a solution of sodium citrate, without too much bicarbonate. It just releases CO2 as a by-product like those effervescent tablets or the vinegar baking soda volcanoes.

Of course then you have to find citric acid, but you may be able to get it at an asian grocery.

Citric acid is easy to find. But I find that even when I do all the proper stoichiometry, the synthesis isn't complete and leaves some unreacted citric acid, which lends the cheese sauce a sour taste.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2013

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Welcome home, HH! Let me know if you want to play with my immersion circulator. Yes, that's so much a double entendre.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Happy Hat posted:

why are you still named after inferior sandwich?

Petition to rename to Goons med smørrebrød :v:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Phum-grandpa died last night. I emailed my boss to tell him that I'd be taking time off and he replied, "We'll discuss in the morning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

Phum-grandpa died last night. I emailed my boss to tell him that I'd be taking time off and he replied, "We'll discuss in the morning".

Your boss is a oval office. gently caress him. Condolences. In this country we have something called compassionate leave, on the basis that employees are actually people too, not just providers of labour.