Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm preeeetty sure that's Carson. He might as well be throwing pencils towards the reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lobok posted:

I'm preeeetty sure that's Carson. He might as well be throwing pencils towards the reader.
Do me a quick favor and GIS "Conan O'Brien" okay, the results might surprise you

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Wait, that's totally Jack Paar. C'mon.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Iron Man: Fatal Frontier #4, by Al Ewing and Neil Edwards. Tony becomes a sheriff in a small frontier town. On the moon. He fights Endotherm. Then this happens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

It's pretty obviously Jay Leno.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Endless Mike posted:

It's pretty obviously Jay Leno.

I dunno, looks an awful lot like the ex-president of Finland

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EverettLO posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but from what I recall you'd have to read awfully far into it to get something that reasonable out of it. It seemed like a blender where Ennis threw all his stock ideas whether they fit the character or not.

Fury Max Vol. 1 was Ennis simply 'having fun' with the character. Vol. 2, which just closed out this past Summer, went way beyond the original and is one of the best short-run books I've read.

Fury: Peacemaker isn't bad either, showing a pre-SHIELD Fury in WW2 before he was dosed with the less-than-Cappish super-soldier serum and offering an alternate retcon on how he lost his eye.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sonic The Hedgehog, Mobius: 25 Years Later.
Sonic's son grew up to be a pervert.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Totally reading this in H. John Benjamin's voice. Those lines are very Archer.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

eriktown posted:

Totally reading this in H. John Benjamin's voice. Those lines are very Archer.

See, I read it in a different voice.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Say Nothing posted:

Sonic The Hedgehog, Mobius: 25 Years Later.
Sonic's son grew up to be a pervert.

That is not a paw. Also, is there any distinguishing feature between Sonic and Manik(?)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Green Intern posted:

That is not a paw. Also, is there any distinguishing feature between Sonic and Manik(?)

I think Sonic was wearing a hat in that story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lobok posted:

Are you being serious?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm sad at how bad at getting jokes goons can be. It was a pretty good one, too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm sad at how bad at getting jokes goons can be. It was a pretty good one, too.

There was an era where we had the sarcastic tags for text so we could highlight we weren't being serious. It lasted a short while.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Gatts posted:

There was an era where we had the sarcastic tags for text so we could highlight we weren't being serious. It lasted a short while.

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're joking or not. :v:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I have no clue who the hell you lot are talking about anyways. Have a panel.

He-Man and Teela have joined up with Evil-Lyn to confront Skeletor on Earth. They find their way to the Batcave, hoping to recruit Bats on the advice of Constantine (for 'twas he who lead them to the cave).

DC Universe Vs. Masters of the Universe #2.

This series doesn't waste any time. He-Man straight up stabs Supes through the freaking heart with the Sword of Power after a few seconds of a clash between the two at the end of #2.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 6, 2013

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

KayTee posted:

Supes gets gutted

Magic sword. he better be dead.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AkumaHokoru posted:

Magic sword. he better be dead.

Captain (Shazam) Marvel is magical, right? Do his punches count as "magic" for purposes of beating up Superman? Does DC magic only count inanimate objects as sufficiently magical to wound Kryptonians?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Teela seems pretty spot-on with her guess there. So many Robins...

And Supes vs magic is always really inconsistent. Sometimes the magic only enhanced the puncher's strength, making the impacts themselves mundane, other times he just solar-power regenerates stuff away...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

prefect posted:

Captain (Shazam) Marvel is magical, right? Do his punches count as "magic" for purposes of beating up Superman? Does DC magic only count inanimate objects as sufficiently magical to wound Kryptonians?

Last time I checked, and admittedly this was JLA in the Nineties, Captain Marvel was able to K.O. Superman in a single punch. It almost never happens, though, because both of them are such nice guys.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
That one rule about superman has always bugged the gently caress out of me. zartanna should be able to deal with him at will. wonder woman CAN. (her ropes work on him...and yet sometimes they dont) I can understand weaker magic users just not being able to get him first.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing is, magic isn't a weakness per say, but it just affects him as it would anyone else. With Shazam, he should at least be his equal.

Zatanna is more complicated. If she hits him with magic lightning, it might not affect him anymore then normal lightning. If she hit him with a mental spell or something that would otherwise ignore Superman's physical durability, it'd be more dangerous.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Like all of comics, the real question is who's jobbing today?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

qntm posted:

Last time I checked, and admittedly this was JLA in the Nineties, Captain Marvel was able to K.O. Superman in a single punch. It almost never happens, though, because both of them are such nice guys.

I think it took 2 punches and Billy said it only worked cause he really wasn't expecting it, even after the first punch.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

WickedHate posted:

The thing is, magic isn't a weakness per say, but it just affects him as it would anyone else. With Shazam, he should at least be his equal.

Zatanna is more complicated. If she hits him with magic lightning, it might not affect him anymore then normal lightning. If she hit him with a mental spell or something that would otherwise ignore Superman's physical durability, it'd be more dangerous.

As much as I like Zatanna, her powers are even more bullshit than Superman's. She could just say "Namrepus emoceb lamron nam!" (or "Nam lamron emoceb namrepus!" depending on the writer) and he's Clark Kent forever.

For content, have a look at one of Zatanna's foes, who has unusually simple motivations for a comic book villain:

Edit: forgot the source, it's Zatanna issue 12, dunno what volume - it's from a couple of years ago.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 6, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think it took 2 punches and Billy said it only worked cause he really wasn't expecting it, even after the first punch.

Yep that was during Morrison's run, when Triumph comes back and gets a makeover from a pet genie. Billy punched him once which staggered him, then finished him off with another punch.

Source: JLA #29

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 6, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pilchenstein posted:

As much as I like Zatanna, her powers are even more bullshit than Superman's. She could just say "Namrepus emoceb lamron nam!" (or "Nam lamron emoceb namrepus!" depending on the writer) and he's Clark Kent forever.

For content, have a look at one of Zatanna's foes, who has unusually simple motivations for a comic book villain:

:ssh: He's always Clark Kent forever.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I love the Moloids in Future Foundation.

FF #13

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"Holy moley" is perfect. Captain Shazam is best when you put him with normal heroes so his kid-nature really stands out. :allears:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think I'll end up following Hickman's God is Dead series from Avatar, but I have to admit, this is a funny page:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And the prize for "most awesome reaction to bad news ever" goes to...

Uncanny X-Men #123.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love the guy in purple totally no selling his reaction to the reaction.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I love the guy in purple totally no selling his reaction to the reaction.
Seriously, not even an explanation point. I guess Earth-616 New Yorkers are just used to this kind of poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the third panel works in isolation as well. Check it out:

"Hi, Spider-Man? Yeah, John Byrne here. I'm just finishing up my run on West Coast Avengers..."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
That's an odd reaction to finding out someone has been captured by Arcade. More people have died at Six Flags than Murder World.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

That's an odd reaction to finding out someone has been captured by Arcade. More people have died at Six Flags than Murder World.

Maybe Spider-Man was pissed because Arcade coming after him would interfere with his plans to take Gwen out on the weekend.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Lobok posted:

Maybe Spider-Man was pissed because Arcade coming after him would interfere with his plans to take Gwen out on the weekend.

He knew it would lead to an awful SNES game.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And he wonders why JJJ thinks he's a menace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New York didn't lose its phone booths to the rise of cell phones; Spider-Man just kept getting bad news.

"I'm going to kill Scott Summers and then you."
"Noooo!"
"Peter, it's Joe Robertson here. The Victoria's Secret photo assignment went to someone else."
"Noooo!"
"The. Time. Is. Now. 3:57."
"Noooo!"

• Locked thread