Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

noirstronaut posted:

An hour or so in that two star restaurant will get you to 65 in no time.

I totally forgot about the restaurants, yea that'll do me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Holy poo poo, just found this in a friend safari and literally Howard Dean'd out when I saw it:

Even managed to catch her in a Premier Ball.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Nevileen posted:

just picked up a japanese 6 IV ditto for the low, low price of my Xerneas. poo poo's awesome, and I'm slowly making my Torchic's maxed. :getin:

Where did you find this trade?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Bee posted:

Probably because Shell Smashing into a Baton Pass leaves you open for a -1 defense move from the opponent. Geomancy, on the other hand, is like two Calm Minds from a Speed Boost Ninjask. Only with half the turn investment and more embarrassing losses to Smeargle.

Also a Stored Power afterwards has 140 base power, making it like a Psychic-type Boomburst. This makes Mega Gardevoir even scarier than usual.

Done properly, you should very rarely be attacked on the pass with Focus Sash Smeargle. What you want to do is this:
1. Get Smeargle safely in on something that is slower than it at +2 and doesn't have Taunt, priority, multi hit moves that are strong enough to OHKO, phasing, sleep or paralysis. Also make sure your opponent doesn't have anything with Sand Stream or Snow Warning. That seems like a long list but it's a lot of things in practice.
2. Use Shell Smash and probably take a hit that breaks your Sash.
2a. If your opponent was dumb and switched to something that doesn't fit the above criteria hoping to absorb a Spore on something expendable, Shell Smash again.
3. Use Spore or Dark Void. Spore is more reliable as long as you eliminate Grass types and Overcoat users but Dark Void will work too.
4. Baton Pass to appropriate user. It is possible they got a single turn sleep but there's really nothing you can do about that and is always a problem with Smeargle.

I'll take getting hit on the pass with -1 defenses 33% of the time at most over getting hit 100% of the time at +0 Defense and +2 Special Defense. Shell Smash and Geomancy even give the same power to Stored Power if you want to take advantage of that.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Holy poo poo, just found this in a friend safari and literally Howard Dean'd out when I saw it:

Sorry, I'm a noob. What am I looking at? Shiny?

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
I had asked earlier about Mawile speed IVs, but I just went ahead and got a Mawile with maxed speed IVs anyways. Now I'm trying to decide what to do for EVs and move set. Right now, I'm thinking of doing this:

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Rough Play
- Iron Head

However, I'm not really sure what I should do. I understand that megaMawile has the potential to do a lot of damage, but should I also be trying to take advantage of its defenses? Also, I considered using substitute, but that wouldn't really do well with Mawile, would it? Since Mawile has such a low base HP, would that just make substitute not worth it?

jerichojx posted:

Yes, it's a shiny. If you can't tell if it's a different color, then there's also a red star by the different markings that denotes it as being shiny.

Scher fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 7, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jerichojx posted:

Yup. The regular one looks like

for a Phantump.

edit: beaten. BUT I HAD A PICTURE

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

horchata posted:

wouldn't mind more opinions before I lose in the first round

I really don't like that pursuit on a non banded scizor. Brick break is also pretty drat weak for a move. I get that you wanna tank hits with assault vest, but you're forcing yourself to take 2 very situational moves to do so. You'll get a lot more mileage out of roost, defog, or swords dance. I would go with substitute plus swords dance personally, because Scizor can potentially get a lot of free turns to setup with this team.

I'm guessing swapping team members is out of the question? Do you have other guys trained up already?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Sorry to crosspost from the trading thread, but:

If anyone have a female Swinub that meets any of the following criteria, I would do terrible things to be able to have it:

- Is Adamant

- Has good IVs

- has either Ice Shard or Stealth Rock as egg moves

I will trade you some good Pokemon for this one!

It's pretty much the only thing keeping me from having my team Battle Ready(TM)

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Scher posted:

I had asked earlier about Mawile speed IVs, but I just went ahead and got a Mawile with maxed speed IVs anyways. Now I'm trying to decide what to do for EVs and move set. Right now, I'm thinking of doing this:

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Rough Play
- Iron Head

However, I'm not really sure what I should do. I understand that megaMawile has the potential to do a lot of damage, but should I also be trying to take advantage of its defenses? Also, I considered using substitute, but that wouldn't really do well with Mawile, would it? Since Mawile has such a low base HP, would that just make substitute not worth it?

Maxing out Mawile's HP stat helps it take hits better than maxing out its defense because its HP is pretty low so it gets a higher percentage boost from the EVs. As far as moves go, Swords Dance is largely unnecessary and Substitute is surprisingly good considering Mawile forces switches with its obscene attack stat, but the only problem is Mawile's best moves leave it helpless against steel types so you need a way to deal with them. I've been running Sucker Punch / Rough Play / Iron Head / Fire Fang, but Fire Fang is an egg move and the best replacement for it is probably Brick Break.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm trying to breed up a Sheer Force Nidoking with good IVs, but it's slow going so far breeding all my weak Nidorans together. Would I be better off breeding for a different 4-5 IV dude using the friend safari, and then breeding that dude for a Nidoking, or keep on with my Nidorans?

e: also, how early or late in the process should I be concerned with passing down Hustle/my nature?

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 7, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I went through a bunch of the TV shows to try and get an idea of how far into the future XY is from BW2. At the very least, it talks about the PWT stadium and Lentemas town along with Flossey ranch.

Most of the other stuff was just boring flavor text, but it mentions Viola receiving a bow or something from Valerie as a present and the fact that her fairy outfit weighs 33 pounds.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Meat Recital posted:

I'm trying to breed up a Sheer Force Nidoking with good IVs, but it's slow going so far breeding all my weak Nidorans together. Would I be better off breeding for a different 4-5 IV dude using the friend safari, and then breeding that dude for a Nidoking, or keep on with my Nidorans?

I could probably trade you a 4IV Hustle Nidoran Female, if you want. That'd likely speed up your process some, and I think I still have one or two left. If not I'd have a 3IV left for sure.

Nidoran are a loving nightmare to breed, though, because not only do you have to deal with the Ability (and potentially Nature) lottos but you've got Gender too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dehry posted:

Most of the other stuff was just boring flavor text, but it mentions Viola receiving a bow or something from Valerie as a present and the fact that her fairy outfit weighs 33 pounds.

Really? I thought the TVs gave a fair bit of helpful game mechanics info.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr Pepper posted:

Really? I thought the TVs gave a fair bit of helpful game mechanics info.

Also, lots of lessons on Squirtle's Japanese name.

Edit: I wish that the radio would make a return and would let you play music in game off of the SD card.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Edit: I wish that the radio would make a return and would let you play music in game off of the SD card.
Yeah but then I'd just end up subliminally nicknaming all my pokemon poo poo like Eek-A-Mouse, Sean Paul, and Phazon Love.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I am Reverend posted:

Maxing out Mawile's HP stat helps it take hits better than maxing out its defense because its HP is pretty low so it gets a higher percentage boost from the EVs. As far as moves go, Swords Dance is largely unnecessary and Substitute is surprisingly good considering Mawile forces switches with its obscene attack stat, but the only problem is Mawile's best moves leave it helpless against steel types so you need a way to deal with them. I've been running Sucker Punch / Rough Play / Iron Head / Fire Fang, but Fire Fang is an egg move and the best replacement for it is probably Brick Break.

A plus 2 sucker punch can handle any steel type that mawile really wants to stay in on though. A nuetral sucker punch off of around 1400 attack is going to put a serious dent in just about anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Techno-Mahou posted:

I'd like a protean Froakie, female if possible. All I have for trade right now are 5IV modest Ralts, 3IV+0Spe brave Honedge, 3-4IV adamant technician Scyther & 3IV timid drought Vulpix. If any of those are good, just let me know. My friend code is 2036-6707-0230.

Harrow posted:

I'm definitely in the market for a Protean Froakie, though I don't have much to trade for one yet, and also I'm at work for a few more hours. My friend code is 2895-6921-1705, though, if you happen to feel like shooting one of those beauties my way!

If you two are still interested, I've added you both. I'll be on all day tomorrow (I'm in EST), so hit me up if you want to trade. Harrow, it says you're "provisionally registered" and I've no idea what that means, so I just put down 'Harrow' as the name. If for some reason thing are messed -up, add me at 1564-2420-2254.

Same goes for anyone else who wants Protean Froakies. They won't be IV trained, I haven't even beaten the game yet, but they're yours if you want them.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Are the odds of getting a shiny from an egg increased even more if both of the parents are foreign? I ask because I was breeding Ferroseeds for one with a good nature earlier, and on like the 15th egg, I rolled a shiny. :stare: Hardy nature- not bad, but I wanted -speed +atk. Gonna use it anyway though, getting a shiny is like... a sign.

I checked afterward, and the Ferroseed I had paired up with my Japanese Ditto was German.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I really REALLY wanna love Banette as his Mega is one of my favorites in terms of design but everywhere I looked said that he's total garbage and his mega is even more of a joke. Is there anyway to make him not a (literal) ragdoll?

People are full of crap. I'm terrible at this game yet have a respectable winrate and my Mega is Banette. He's not godlike in terms of power but he's fun as hell and can be devastating with unexpected moves. This is what mine runs;

Max Hp Max Attack

-Sucker Punch
-Gunk Shot
-Will O Wisp
-Confuse Ray

Sucker punch is so Banette can skip ahead in priority and kill pokemon without any speed investment. It does a good amount of damage and can OHKO a lot of fragile ghost/psychic types like Gengar and Alakhazam. Gunk shot is a 120 power move with only an 80 chance to miss. I bring it along just to obliterate fairies. Wisp fucks up anything that uses physical attacks and confuse ray is for when I need a little lucky disable to tip the scales. Mega Banette isn't as straightforwardly strong as other megas. Unlike every mega I can think of he is a support that messes with the team via prankster. He's not bad though, you just need to get creative with him. His biggest asset is that people don't know what to expect from him. He can cripple the opposition with priority status moves or skip ahead in priority to smack you in the face.

He could be a lot better though, say if he had become dark/ghost. My main problem with him though is that prankster doesn't work on the turn he mega evolves, which is really dumb. Also he kind of sucks against Talonflame and Blaziken, both of which are annoying and popular right now. Really though, don't underestimate the power of priority wisps. Even Garchomp will hit like a wet noodle when his attack gets cut.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 7, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

One and the Same posted:

Are the odds of getting a shiny from an egg increased even more if both of the parents are foreign? I ask because I was breeding Ferroseeds for one with a good nature earlier, and on like the 15th egg, I rolled a shiny. :stare: Hardy nature- not bad, but I wanted -speed +atk. Gonna use it anyway though, getting a shiny is like... a sign.

I checked afterward, and the Ferroseed I had paired up with my Japanese Ditto was German.

Nope, all that matters is that they're not the same. So lucky you!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

khysanth posted:

Where did you find this trade?

It's on GTS. But it's weird because now most of these 6 iv dittos are usually from Japan. It's kinda strange. Maybe they know something we don't?

Then again they could just be lying like anyone on GTS.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 7, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FauxGateau posted:

Maybe they know something we don't?
Yeah, that they can ask for pretty much anything with a Ditto and the better the IVs, the more unreasonably high the price they can get for it from anyone outside their country.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Prism posted:

Nope, all that matters is that they're not the same. So lucky you!

Haha, nice. :) I never find a shiny if I'm actually looking for one. Chain fishing doesn't count, but I did get a shiny Skrelp from it. :neckbeard:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

What up shiny phantump buddy.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

FauxGateau posted:

It's on GTS. But it's weird because now most of these 6 iv dittos are usually from Japan. It's kinda strange. Maybe they know something we don't?

Then again they could just be lying like anyone on GTS.

I dunno, but it's legit.

I mostly just wanted a japanese one and I wasn't planning on using my box legendary anyway.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

I am Reverend posted:

I've been running Sucker Punch / Rough Play / Iron Head / Fire Fang, but Fire Fang is an egg move and the best replacement for it is probably Brick Break.

This is the exact same set I have on doubles with a Brave nature. It's fairly tough to work around.

Scher posted:

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Rough Play
- Iron Head

Your speed you want to be at 31 more than the others with very few exceptions. Trick room being one of them. It's the only stat where a single point will make a world of difference. That said, Mawile's speed is so low that you won't really come into contact with things that it can outspeed, so I'd also suggest 252 HP/252 Att/6 Def. You could toss that last one into Speed on the off chance you come into contact with another Mawile. Substitute is also fairly good on Mawile as it's typing and defenses are decent enough that it won't take a lot of damage. Gengar makes great use of substitute and it's HP isn't much better. Mega Mawile has the added bonus of better defenses so the substitute may occasionally take two hits to break if the opponent hasn't figured out what it's weak to yet.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
I'm considering buying X (I have Y) and running it in French mode so I can have another language pokemon to breed with for all my mass-breeding projects. I think I have a problem. :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Maide posted:

I'm considering buying X (I have Y) and running it in French mode so I can have another language pokemon to breed with for all my mass-breeding projects. I think I have a problem. :ohdear:

Just get a Ditto from the GTS. Ditto > Pokemon I have > Take your pick

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, that they can ask for pretty much anything with a Ditto and the better the IVs, the more unreasonably high the price they can get for it from anyone outside their country.

People do that with rare Vivillon patterns on the GTS too. Good loving luck getting an Ocean/Sun/Sandstorm/Jungle/IcySnow/Savannah pattern without giving up a legendary!

And an extra special gently caress you to the guy with a shiny Taillow up on GTS asking for a level 11-20 Meowstic. :argh: I have no idea why Nintendo hasn't fixed the GTS to prevent impossible trades. Fortunately I did get my Taillow after I put a Metang up on there. I was tired of dealing with horde after horde of Wingull on Route 8 and took the easy way out.

So what's the best strategy with Protean Greninja? I got one from one of my friend safaris and I know the gimmick behind Protean but what's the best way to utilize it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People over in the Project Pokemon IRC who have been working on getting Pokesav like stuff for Gen 6 have basically figured out that the shiny rate has been effectively doubled, meaning 1/4096.

Apparently they figured this out because Pokémon who wouldn't have passed as shiny in gen V came out shiny. This means that the Masuda Method gives you a roughly 1/683 chance in having a shiny egg.

Here they are talking about parts of code as shiny identifiers and the like.
http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?33024-Pkx-The-New-Pokemon-Format-For-Gen-6&p=174822&viewfull=1#post174822

e: It's probably worth noting that Pokébank almost certainly won't make non-shinies shiny if they're transferred and do things to make it so they stay exactly as they are when being converted to Gen 6 code.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 7, 2013

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Aurain posted:

People over in the Project Pokemon IRC who have been working on getting Pokesav like stuff for Gen 6 have basically figured out that the shiny rate has been effectively doubled, meaning 1/4096.

Apparently they figured this out because Pokémon who wouldn't have passed as shiny in gen V came out shiny. This means that the Masuda Method gives you a roughly 1/683 chance in having a shiny egg.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?33024-Pkx-The-New-Pokemon-Format-For-Gen-6&p=174822&viewfull=1#post174822

Does this mean nonshinies could be transferred over through the bank as shinies?

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Aurain posted:

holy poo poo, that's awesome!

Although now I despair even more that I haven't gotten a shiny torchic yet. :negative:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So does this pretty much put an end to the rumors that tipping increases the chances of encountering shinies?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Does this mean nonshinies could be transferred over through the bank as shinies?

As far as I understand, the code that generates a Pokemon when one is created (through encounters or breeding) has more lines that can result in a shiny, once a Pokemon is generated though it's not going to magically transform. (Unfortunately.)

I'm not too much of an expert on this, but that's just from my understanding of how shinies work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

So does this pretty much put an end to the rumors that tipping increases the chances of encountering shinies?

Not especially.
It might just cut that 1/4096 further.
I personally don't think that tipping affects it at all, but it doesn't confirm or deny that. I reckon it was just something for people to latch on to because both tipping and seemingly increased shinies were unexplained and why not link them?

I edited in something about Pokébank, but I highly doubt that it'll make applicable non shiny gen 5's into shiny gen 6 pokes. The Pokebank will do something to them to get them over exactly as they were in Gen 5, I think.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I have an idea but I'm not sure how to make it work--I want to Skill Swap Pixilate from Mega-Gardevoir to Noivern so that I've got a Fairy-type Boomburst that benefits from a 30% damage boost and being able to hit ghosts but I'm not sure how to go about it or with whom to round out the team. I tried it on Showdown a couple times but I don't know near enough about competitive Smogon doubles to begin to address it when my opponent (logically) leads with a Ghost-type or sets Trick Room. What would I add to these two to make my dumb gimmick work, even if it's just 1 in 100 times?

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Skill Swap
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Protect

I always think this is the worst to do but I'm quoting this from a couple pages ago to ask if anyone has any thoughts on my dumb idea

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Tell that 1/490 chance of a shiny to suck my rear end in a top hat and the collective assholes of every Elekid in boxes 3 - 13.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Max Hp Max Attack

-Sucker Punch
-Gunk Shot
-Will O Wisp
-Confuse Ray

No Destiny Bond? Seems like a waste on a Prankster. Just that alone can force many unfavorable trades on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

noirstronaut posted:

Tell that 1/490 chance of a shiny to suck my rear end in a top hat and the collective assholes of every Elekid in boxes 3 - 13.

I'm up to box 40something. It's the worst. I just want it to end.

• Locked thread