Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The next couple months of Adventures of Superman creators has been unveiled. We can look forward to stories by Josh Elder, Derek Fridolfs, Jim Krueger, and Peter Milligan, and art by Victor Ibanez, Sean Galloway, Neil Edwards, and Agustin Padilla. Really glad this thing is still going, it's pretty consistently great and a welcome alternative from Lobdell's garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

The next couple months of Adventures of Superman creators has been unveiled. We can look forward to stories by Josh Elder, Derek Fridolfs, Jim Krueger, and Peter Milligan, and art by Victor Ibanez, Sean Galloway, Neil Edwards, and Agustin Padilla. Really glad this thing is still going, it's pretty consistently great and a welcome alternative from Lobdell's garbage.

Don't forget Pak on Action next issue. Add in B/S, and S/WW and there's suddenly more good Superman books than bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I would love to see a Peter Milligan and Mike Allred Superman story or just Mike Allred writing Superman again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I would love to see a Peter Milligan and Mike Allred Superman story or just Mike Allred writing Superman again.

Yes please.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

Don't forget Pak on Action next issue. Add in B/S, and S/WW and there's suddenly more good Superman books than bad.

Booth is drawing B/S, so for the next three months, we're just... breaking even?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
This Bizarro story running in Adventures of Superman is just going to plain ol' break my heart, isn't it. :smith:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Space_Butler posted:

My roommate hasn't missed a single issue of Superman since the New52 but refuses to buy this because he thinks it's "pretty dumb looking" and/or doesn't like the creators involved. I just don't know, man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Euthanize him.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I think the single worst part is that he recently graduated from the University of the Arts here in Philadelphia with a degree in illustration. Funny books are his dream, I figure he would know better! Good kid though.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

God Dammit Adventures of Superman you are just straight up made out of freshly peeled onions. :cry:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Action Comics 25 is GREAT!
Greg Pak does really good stuff with young t-shirt Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pak's Action Comics was really good.
Pak's Batman/Superman was super lovely.

I thought the first arc was pretty neat, but now Superman is 'trolling' Bruce and people are saying 'amiright'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 7, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yannick_B posted:

Action Comics 25 is GREAT!
Greg Pak does really good stuff with young t-shirt Superman.

Action #25 was sooooooo good. I loved it. I've been hoping for great things from this team and they delivered!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I was expecting good things from Pak and Kuder but holy hell that was spectacular. I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this run (until DC drives one or both of them off).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hoping Pak sticks with T-shirt Superman since we have three other books to follow modern Superman in.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

I'm hoping Pak sticks with T-shirt Superman since we have three other books to follow modern Superman in.

The second story, setting up the next issue, is set in modern day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revol posted:

The second story, setting up the next issue, is set in modern day.

That doesn't mean we can have flashbacks every issue!

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I'm starting to wonder how much influence Greg Pak gives the artist on his scripts because upon reading BAT/SUP you would seriously think that the Lobdell/Booth team came up with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I figure he's doing this wackadoo video game thing to suit Booth, but it's just going to be hard to figure out when I might want to jump on or off the title depending on the arc, cause the swing in tone, dialogue, everything was so extreme. It's a totally different comic than it was last month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 7, 2013

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

So I'm reading New52 Supergirl and I was wondering if I'm going to be lost at all when it goes into cross over territory? Ironically enough, I don't really like Superman at all so I won't force myself to read it, will I be missing much by skipping that and any other connected titles?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The crossover issues are definitely crossover issues and not stand alone at all. There's nothing good about H'el on Earth. Skip 15-18 and However many of the next few are wrapped up in Krypton Returns.

As for not liking Superman, Pak's first issue of Action this week was preeetty good.

E: You might see that one of the original N52 Supergirl writers did the last few issues of Superman, but that was crossing over with Lobdell on his short Action run, and was just wrapping up Lob's Hector Hammond/HIVE Queen psychic fight.
I liked the whole psychic arc, but don't feel like you need to check those issues out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 10, 2013

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I figure he's doing this wackadoo video game thing to suit Booth, but it's just going to be hard to figure out when I might want to jump on or off the title depending on the arc, cause the swing in tone, dialogue, everything was so extreme. It's a totally different comic than it was last month.

I'm just ignoring Bat/Supes until Jae Lee comes back on the art. At least then, even if the writing was similarly that bad the sweet sweet art would make up for it.

Like you, I suspect Pak is just completely phoning it in with Booth until Lee comes back while he works on Action Comics instead (which was far better and I really like Pak's Lana even if she's a little bit similar to Lois this time around).

That's the only way I can see a quality drop this steep happening.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

The crossover issues are definitely crossover issues and not stand alone at all. There's nothing good about H'el on Earth. Skip 15-18 and However many of the next few are wrapped up in Krypton Returns.

As for not liking Superman, Pak's first issue of Action this week was preeetty good.

That's a bit disappointing, anything I should know that I would miss by skipping those issues?

Also, I guess I lied a bit. I read Pak's Superman last week and I did read Morrison's Action and All Star.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not really. She went along with H'el trying to get Krypton back, sorta fell in love with him, but finally turned against him when she found out he'd destroy Earth to do it or something.
At most she's like, 'I can't believe I trusted that H'el guy' in subsequent issues. No big deal (until this upcoming crossover, I guess.)

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I know I'm extremely late on posting this but holy hell, Action Comics is SO good again.

And what's more, it completely made sense in relation to the Zero Year tie-in. So it solidified the necessary existence of a tie-in. That's a pretty big rarity on it's own. Pak really hit the ground running with this title, Kuder too. Back to being in my top 5 favorite books.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Guys, I really like Superman/Wonderwoman. Well, except his new Twitter based super power at the end.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

So Superman Unchained is coming to an end with issue #9. Seems kind of silly to be killing off their top selling Superman comic, but I'm not a highly trained DC Comics editor.

I've been on break from Big Two comics in general. Is Unchained worth picking up thus far?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's ending because Lee and Snyder only had 9 issues of story to tell. The second a new creative team comes on board the sales will hit the floor.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mike From Nowhere posted:

So Superman Unchained is coming to an end with issue #9. Seems kind of silly to be killing off their top selling Superman comic, but I'm not a highly trained DC Comics editor.

I've been on break from Big Two comics in general. Is Unchained worth picking up thus far?

I didn't like it. If you want to read good Superman now, Greg Pak's Action from ish25 has been really solid.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 26, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Unchained is a little drawn out but it's been slowly building up a relatively interesting story arc. At the very least it's got Superman and his supporting cast actually being pretty likeable rather than how they've often been outside of Morrison and Pak's Action Comics.

It's probably worth waiting for the trade since it's very much a story meant to be read in one go rather than on a monthly basis.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's ending because Lee and Snyder only had 9 issues of story to tell. The second a new creative team comes on board the sales will hit the floor.

But surely they could just slot in one of their many other superstar talents that are super-happy with working at DC?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, Aaron Kuder is loving killing it on Action Comics. This dude's action sequences are incredible, he's gonna be a superstar someday.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I've been reading Smallville: Alien, and I like that Luthor's lackey is named Otis Berg. :haw:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

horsepeen posted:

I've been reading Smallville: Alien, and I like that Luthor's lackey is named Otis Berg. :haw:

I took a pass on Smallville while it was on TV but I hear good things about the comic series. Is it worth my time?

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Mike From Nowhere posted:

I took a pass on Smallville while it was on TV but I hear good things about the comic series. Is it worth my time?

I haven't read the main Season 11 title, but I started reading the Alien miniseries, and it seems to be fairly standard Superman stories which I don't mind. They're breaking into some of the DC mythos with characters like the Monitor. If you have 99 cents to burn on the first issue, it might be worth your time, and if you hate it, no big loss. They're short.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More info about 'Doomed'

It seems than Doomsday is more like a disease and Superman is infected on this arc, okay then :psyduck:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

quote:

The Man of Steel must unleash insane levels of power in order to do the job, only to terrify the world he's saving.

Levels of power. He is straight up a Saiyan now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Adventures of Superman 46 preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=20628

Old man astronaut Kamandi

reflecting on SMan/BMan through the ages, starting with first appearance style, fighting Frankensteins with a Dracula

I'll buy that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 8, 2014

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

YES, this looks awesome. I've really been enjoying Adventures of Superman; my favorite Supes book at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, what the gently caress is Doomsday now?

• Locked thread