Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sorry for the double post but, ANOTHER SEKI-KUN :dance:

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope Yokoi and Seki never, ever actually get together and become a couple. Gotou's delusions regarding their "relationship" is far funnier than any actual romance between the two could possibly be.

I think that a relationship is more than probable now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Just read Midori Days after a random suggestion on page 3, and I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely similar to Sumire where the concept is just weird and almost offputting but for some reason it works and manages to be emotionally satisfying. It also managed to have some weeeeeird stuff that has nothing at all to do with having a girl for a hand. The art looks rough sometimes at the start, but eventually gets pretty good, and the faces and expressions and suplexes look great. It also can be legitimately funny, and I got caught off guard at least a few times through it.

Didn't super like the ending but the extra final mini-comic made up for it.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seki trying to bribe Yokoi with a license. :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

Just read Midori Days after a random suggestion on page 3, and I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely similar to Sumire where the concept is just weird and almost offputting but for some reason it works and manages to be emotionally satisfying. It also managed to have some weeeeeird stuff that has nothing at all to do with having a girl for a hand. The art looks rough sometimes at the start, but eventually gets pretty good, and the faces and expressions and suplexes look great. It also can be legitimately funny, and I got caught off guard at least a few times through it.

Didn't super like the ending but the extra final mini-comic made up for it.

Shockingly not creepy is a good way to describe it.

(really minor spoiler)Seji trying to help her fever was really sweet. :3:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
This thread got me curious about Kumamiko so I decided to check it out. Apparently it's only been going since about May so that's probably why no one has ever heard about it. I don't think it has even had a volume released yet. I also found it's a real pain in the rear end to find raws for magazines that aren't the big ones everyone cares about. But man this manga can be the epitome of :3: when it wants to be.

I didn't read it all that closely yet but the main thrust of the plot seems to be the girl wants to go to high school in the big city because she's tired of living in the sticks. The bear, however, thinks she's too sheltered and naive so he comes up with goofy tests to prove to her she's not ready.

Also this cracks me up for some reason:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aw geez! This looks like such a great manga. The style is so cute-looking and the premise sounds pretty good, from your description. I hope someone will pick it up eventually. What magazine does it run in?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

She just doesn't understand True Gamer Spirit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

She just doesn't understand True Gamer Spirit.

This is hilarious but should I ever expect it to change beyond Seki does something amusing, Yokoi reacts amusingly and sometimes gets in trouble?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Anatharon posted:

This is hilarious but should I ever expect it to change beyond Seki does something amusing, Yokoi reacts amusingly and sometimes gets in trouble?

Nope.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

She has no (other?) friends, does she. :v:

It kinda reminds me of the class bits in Calvin and Hobbes as seen from the other side.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 4, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Aw geez! This looks like such a great manga. The style is so cute-looking and the premise sounds pretty good, from your description. I hope someone will pick it up eventually. What magazine does it run in?

It runs in Comic Flapper, the same as Seki-kun. There's only like four or five chapters at the moment and the magazine is monthly so it wouldn't be too hard for a scanlation group to catch up and stay caught up. It's just that no one is really aware of it because it just started.

That poo poo's adorable, though, so I made this avatar:

But I'm too poor cheap to get it so if someone else wants it go nuts. I'd recommend "Bear Hug!" for the text.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anatharon posted:

Tonari no Seki-kun is a one-trick manga, but that one trick is fantastically long-lasting.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I went ahead and translated the first chapter of Kumamiko.

I'm not sure if dropbox is the best way to distribute it or if there are limitations on downloads from there or what. If someone knows a better way please let me know.

There are two caveats with this release:

First I'm not great with image editors. I did this chapter in Paint and I'm sure it shows. The quality is definitely not pro-grade.

Two my Japanese isn't exactly amazing so it's fairly likely there are one or two mistakes. And there's a few jokes I didn't really try to localize but just kind of explained in notes. I would appreciate any feedback anyone wants to offer and I hope people enjoy this because I've certainly enjoyed the couple of chapters I've read so far.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I wish I was friends with a bear...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That was pretty cute. Thanks for translating it. I thought the quality of the your scans was pretty good.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Joshlemagne posted:

I went ahead and translated the first chapter of Kumamiko.

I'm not sure if dropbox is the best way to distribute it or if there are limitations on downloads from there or what. If someone knows a better way please let me know.

There are two caveats with this release:

First I'm not great with image editors. I did this chapter in Paint and I'm sure it shows. The quality is definitely not pro-grade.

Two my Japanese isn't exactly amazing so it's fairly likely there are one or two mistakes. And there's a few jokes I didn't really try to localize but just kind of explained in notes. I would appreciate any feedback anyone wants to offer and I hope people enjoy this because I've certainly enjoyed the couple of chapters I've read so far.

Fun first chapter! Love the gag with the bear gradually going crooked. Thanks for doing it!

Boring TL stuff: I like to post my junk on Batoto because they don't have obnoxious ads or watermarks, if you go and ask in their contributors' subforum they'll probably give you upload rights. Their site uploader just needs a zip file with images in it, pretty simple to deal with.

Without seeing the original I can't say much on the accuracy of the translation, but the English mostly made sense and flowed well, and that's at least half the battle. ESPECIALLY appreciate that you've got a good flow between word balloons without splitting lines up willy-nilly. Only spot that really stood out as awkward to me was Natsu's "ahh it's over" a few pages in. You and I both know that's in reference to their "work day" at the shrine, but even with the followup of "now I can take the rope off", I think that line could use some clarification/rewording.

Paint is Paint, not much to be done there, but it might go a little way towards sharpening the "pro look" if you grabbed your rectangle tool and erased the ads, page numbers, and assorted bullshit the magazines love to stick in the white space outside the panels. I don't know if anyone else actually notices that stuff when they read, but it certainly catches in my eye.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks, Joshlemagne, that was fun!

I haven't seen the raws and so can't comment on the translation, but the editing seemed sufficient to the task.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The only comment I have regarding the translation is "definitely" is misspelled as "definately". Otherwise, good work!

Kumamiko -- Loved it! The art style and jokes are super-cute, and I really cracked up at the part with the train turnstile and watermelon and other fruit that Machi was trying to figure out. In the San Francisco Bay Area we have something similar to that called "Clipper", which is another random word that people might not ordinarily guess.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

The only comment I have regarding the translation is "definitely" is misspelled as "definately". Otherwise, good work!

Man I noticed that in my final look through but I wanted to get it uploaded before I went to bed :sweatdrop:

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Only spot that really stood out as awkward to me was Natsu's "ahh it's over" a few pages in. You and I both know that's in reference to their "work day" at the shrine, but even with the followup of "now I can take the rope off", I think that line could use some clarification/rewording.

Hmm I see what you mean. There probably is a clearer way to word it.

I put up the raw chapter Here if anyone's curious. Which also led me to notice that editing the text and resaving caused the file size to go up significantly. I don't know what the deal with that is. Like I said, bad with image editors.

Also here are the other (raw) chapters I've got as well:
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

I'm thinking of taking a crack at the second chapter. But it's a pretty text-heavy exposition dump so it might take awhile. And I'm a bit less confident in getting the translation right. The chapters after that are all more like the first, though.

Also if anyone has an account with upload privileges at any manga sites and wants to put it up for easier access or to share with other people I don't mind. I'd do it myself but :effort:. Consider yourselves all part of my super-cool and super-secret scanlation group.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I really enjoyed Satanic Sweet by Yamashita Tomoko. Essentially it is about a girl who is plagued by violent fantasies (not gory/horror) due to extreme boredom. It is only a one shot so It is worth checking out. Not sfw though. Not as humorous as the other suggestions in the thread, but it is very surreal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yessssssss. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/zai-x-10-r10357

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oooooooh my god :dance: "Those are just almonds?!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is amazingly good. This guy's mastery of comedic timing is perfect. Oh my god.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

This is amazingly good. This guy's mastery of comedic timing is perfect. Oh my god.
This. I have no idea how I missed this when it was originally posted but that first chapter was amazing. I want an anime already.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Hahahaha, "Wait, that's my bike!" As expected of the guy from Nichibros.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Seems I missed that little bit of information, better give this a look.

e:
It owns! Especially that second one.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 9, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Kumamiko Chapter 2

This is a... weird chapter. I did the best I could but I'm pretty sure this time there's at least a few mistakes. Also the file size is more reasonable this time. For some reason paint doubles the size of every file just by opening it and putting some text in. I just opened and immediately resaved in irnfanview and the filesize was back down to where it started out :iiam: (or rather paint is poo poo)
Chapter 3 is back to Natsu and Machi hanging out though. Here's a preview:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joshlemagne posted:

Kumamiko Chapter 2

This is a... weird chapter.

Man, Page 10 this whole chapter. :catstare:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 10, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yep, bears are still pretty great. So far this series looks solid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Zai-x-10/Ch-003--Burglary-Arc?id=179428

Unfortunately, it looks like this will only be 10 chapters. I want this guy to never stop writing manga.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mason Dixon posted:

Of course an assassin would ride a bike to a job

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Zai-x-10/Ch-003--Burglary-Arc?id=179428

Unfortunately, it looks like this will only be 10 chapters. I want this guy to never stop writing manga.

Yamauchi draws the best deadpan expressions I've ever seen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The trick is that he's using Looney Tunes jokes, which automatically puts him ahead of 99% of comedy manga and anime. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 12, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Talking Bear Friend Chapter 3!

This is probably my favorite chapter of the ones I've read. But sadly it's the halfway point for the available chapters.

Chapter 4 gets into some looney tunes territory of its own:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Joshlemagne posted:

Talking Bear Friend Chapter 3!

This is probably my favorite chapter of the ones I've read. But sadly it's the halfway point for the available chapters.

Chapter 4 gets into some looney tunes territory of its own:

It's really great that you're translating this for us. Thanks for sharing this series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HellCopter posted:

It's really great that you're translating this for us. Thanks for sharing this series.

Yeah, I really want to reiterate this, because this is kind of the reason why I made this thread in the first place. It wasn't just to showcase my favorite genre of manga, it's also because a lot of these mangas are very obscure, and tend to get lost in the noise of "Generic Action Shounen", "Rapealicious Trashy Shoujo", "Moe Panty Harem", "4 Girls Doing Nothing", and the like. I like to see odd concepts and different art styles, and you're really doing a great service in bringing little gems like this to light. I love this manga, and I love you too. :)

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

HellCopter posted:

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I really want to reiterate this, because this is kind of the reason why I made this thread in the first place. It wasn't just to showcase my favorite genre of manga, it's also because a lot of these mangas are very obscure, and tend to get lost in the noise of "Generic Action Shounen", "Rapealicious Trashy Shoujo", "Moe Panty Harem", "4 Girls Doing Nothing", and the like. I like to see odd concepts and different art styles, and you're really doing a great service in bringing little gems like this to light. I love this manga, and I love you too. :)

I appreciate the words of support. When I posted the latest chapter I actually wondered to myself whether anyone was even reading them :)

I've been reading raw manga for awhile and probably the most frustrating thing is bumping into something cool and having no one to really tell about it. I made a big post in the convince someone to read a manga in one image thread with a bunch of untranslated stuff awhile back. And while that probably perturbed people it came from wanting people to acknowledge some of these neat series even if it was just the artwork. I've been kicking around the idea of translating stuff myself awhile and Kumamiko happened to be ideal in a lot ways. Having just started and having only a few chapters meant it wasn't a huge commitment if I didn't want to continue. I wouldn't want to start a big 100 volume epic series only to drop it once people get interested. And there's also the fact that this thread is fairly low-traffic so it feels more comfortable posting here than putting something up to the scrutiny of the wider internet.

And to be honest I've had fun translating this series. A problem I have reading manga is I tend to skim them. Partially this is self-defense just to make sure doesn't go off the deep end to creepy town (which has happened once or twice). But a lot of it is just laziness on my part. I tell myself I'll go back and figure out the parts I don't get and look up the words I don't know but I rarely actually do. Translating for other people forces me to really make the effort which is what I need if I want to get any better at reading Japanese. And I've also come to realize while working on this that it's been a long time since I had something to intently focus on mentally and it's something I've missed without even being aware of it. I tend to feel pretty good after finishing a chapter. So, basically, I don't want anyone to think that I'm putting myself out or anything from doing this.

As for Kumamiko obviously I wouldn't put any effort into it if I didn't think it was pretty good. I think that it's basically a single dad manga which, of course, is the best kind. Machi is growing up but Natsu tries to resist that while realizing he can't really stop it. And I think Machi herself is probably one of the most well-written 14-year-olds I've seen. She's surly, gloomy, and easily angered but you can still see bits and pieces of the little girl she was and maybe the adult she's becoming. As western manga fans we generally only get to see a series after it's gotten pretty well-established in Japan. So watching this series unfold chapter by chapter and seeing how it develops without being able to skip ten volumes ahead into untranslated stuff to see how it goes is kind of rare and exciting to me personally.

There are a couple of other series that I know of that would probably fit in this thread fairly well. I may take a stab at them once the last couple of Kumamiko chapters are done. One is a 4-koma with fairly short chapters so I might do a chapter or two of that and see what people think.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
What's "cattle rump"?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Silentman0 posted:

What's "cattle rump"?

I have no idea. Sometimes I just shrug and go for the literal translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Since it was being given to a bear, it may be exactly that. There's probably a specific name for that cut of meat in English, but eh.

• Locked thread