Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Falken posted:

Installed my new wheel.

Much nicer than the OEM Porsche one.

Looks good. Is the wheel position much different from factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Not particularly, no. Smaller wheel that's much more comfortable though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Falken posted:

Installed my new wheel.

Much nicer than the OEM Porsche one.
Did the OEM wheel have an airbag inside? Am I an idiot for wanting to switch out my steering wheel that has an airbag for something like that? I dont race it, I just dont like how the mustang wheel feels.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cage posted:

Did the OEM wheel have an airbag inside? Am I an idiot for wanting to switch out my steering wheel that has an airbag for something like that? I dont race it, I just dont like how the mustang wheel feels.

Kinda? I mean, in a collision you'd probably wish you had an airbag slamming into your face than the steering column. If you solely raced it and wore all the proper protective equipment with a cage, then sure.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Just don't crash.

Problem solved.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

No, it was the standard airbag-less Porsche wheel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Two new shoes - Hankook Ventus HRII. Amazing how quick 2 x $63 turns into $196 though. :sigh:

They're a little noisier, but the car handles noticeably better now that it has only 2 kinds of tires on it instead of 3.

The 2 that didn't get replaced are down to 6/32, they'll probably get replaced in the spring. Those are nearly 4 year old Goodyear Eagle RS-As that try to kill me anytime it rains.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not today because I'm sick as hell but I tried to start the Fairlane a few days ago. It started okay. I put a brick on the accelerator because I had no interest in standing around while giving the battery a charge. It just kept getting slower. I thought the brick was slipping. Nope. It just ended up slowing down until it stopped. Then I could barely restart it. It just kept dying. Because the fuel gauge uses arcane computer magic to read the level It looked like it had plenty of fuel. After a bit the needle was way down and the lamp and beeper were on.
It was driven there under its own power and with fuel in the tank to my recollection. There was however a whiff of fuel I noticed a few days previous.

When I feel up to it I'll grab a jerrycan of fuel and see if it's just out.

On jerrycans last week I was really low on cash so I used the 20L jerrycan which I only use for mowers to refuel the Niva. The can had some dregs of diesel that were in it previously mixed in but the Niva doesn't care at all.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Two new shoes - Hankook Ventus HRII. Amazing how quick 2 x $63 turns into $196 though. :sigh:

They're a little noisier, but the car handles noticeably better now that it has only 2 kinds of tires on it instead of 3.

The 2 that didn't get replaced are down to 6/32, they'll probably get replaced in the spring. Those are nearly 4 year old Goodyear Eagle RS-As that try to kill me anytime it rains.
I splashed the equivalent of $504 on a set of tires last month. :negative:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just noticed the other two tires are a bit dry rotted. Not as bad as one of the used ones that was replaced today, but...

I have a 1300 mile road trip coming up in 10 days... :ohdear:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Even at a higher res those tires don't really look that dry-rotted. I would think you'll be alright for the trip but if you die don't quote me on that.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Falken posted:

$1200 for a set and a spare. Welcome to offroading Astonishing Wang.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I may just be a little :tinfoil: - I've never had tires last long enough to rot.

The car came with a matched set of Goodyears, but obviously never got rotated.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some texas redneck posted:

I may just be a little :tinfoil: - I've never had tires last long enough to rot.

The car came with a matched set of Goodyears, but obviously never got rotated.

I've run tires that were way worse, that's just a little checking. What's the build date?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: newer than I thought. Week 33, 2010 - so 3rd week of August.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 6, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Falken posted:

I dropped $833 on a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports in staggered 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 not long ago, but it was worth every penny. Phenomenal tires. Over a grand once you factor in mounting and a good 4-wheel alignment, though. Hurt the wallet, but drat does the car drive nice.

Of course, now it's almost time to switch to the winter wheels & tires. :(

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 6, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Falken posted:

Psh. in the last 2 months, i spent $5150 on 6 sets of wheels.(although 3 sets were attached to vehicles.)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I did the group N trans mount on the Forester today. Holy hell did it fix the drive train slack, it's like a new car. Fixed a weird engine vibration too. I also fixed an exhaust leak yesterday but that's boring.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
About to the pull the trigger on a set of steelies and Blizzaks for winter here, most likely around $800. Might be tomorrow if I can out of work early enough. Why do tire places insist on closing at 6PM?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Guinness posted:

I dropped $833 on a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports in staggered 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 not long ago, but it was worth every penny. Phenomenal tires. Over a grand once you factor in mounting and a good 4-wheel alignment, though. Hurt the wallet, but drat does the car drive nice.

Of course, now it's almost time to switch to the winter wheels & tires. :(

I put a set of Super Sports on my Protege 8 months or so before it broke down. Fantastic grip, great wet performance, and I imagine they'll last longer than the Star Specs I ran a while back, which while awesome wore out fast, and were extra stupid since I never autocrossed or anything.

The Blazer's running a set of used BFG Long Trail T/As that I bought off my coworker. At $80 for the set the price was nice, but wet grip is absolutely nonexistent (I can break the rear end loose on demand around the gentlest of curves, even with an open diff) and they're about 2 inches taller and an inch wider than stock, so they rub obnoxiously at full lock (only while I'm backing out of a parking spot usually, but still).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Gave it the winter wash in preparation for clay and waxing tomorrow. It looks a million times better already.

Now I need to figure out why both passenger-side wheels have easily twice the brake dust of the driver's side. Coincidentally, both passenger tires are also dry rotting while the driver's side tires look pristine. I have a bad feeling about this. :smithicide:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Took it out for a midnight hoon and found something is wrong with the boost.

It seems to be creeping to about 18PSI (currently running it at 14) which causes the engine management to cut fuel... which scared the poo poo out of me at seven thousand RPM in third. Engine light and everything.

I guess I'll have to start saving for a better boost controller than this silly T-tap.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tobu posted:

Took it out for a midnight hoon and found something is wrong with the boost.

It seems to be creeping to about 18PSI (currently running it at 14) which causes the engine management to cut fuel... which scared the poo poo out of me at seven thousand RPM in third. Engine light and everything.

I guess I'll have to start saving for a better boost controller than this silly T-tap.

Make sure your wastegate actuator's not on its way out. Happened on my Protege, when I put my 3" exhaust on it suddenly felt way too much faster then before, checked my logs and the boost (which previously held just above 7 psi) was spiking to 14, on stock FS-DE internals that's a bit terrifying. Turns out the actuator had been shot for a while and boost was being kept in check by the ultra-restrictive stock exhaust limiting the pressure drop across the turbine, so when I removed that restriction boost shot through the roof.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Fucknag posted:

Make sure your wastegate actuator's not on its way out. Happened on my Protege, when I put my 3" exhaust on it suddenly felt way too much faster then before, checked my logs and the boost (which previously held just above 7 psi) was spiking to 14, on stock FS-DE internals that's a bit terrifying. Turns out the actuator had been shot for a while and boost was being kept in check by the ultra-restrictive stock exhaust limiting the pressure drop across the turbine, so when I removed that restriction boost shot through the roof.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that when I can. The actuator is only about five months old :(

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Sorry about how dirty it is. It's been raining all week.

I ordered a set of 18 and 19 inch TSW Nurburgrings. I wrapped them in Michelin Super Sport tires. 265 front, 305 rear.

The previous owner had removed the original z06 wheels and put on reproduction chrome c6z06 wheels. Disregarding how much heavier they are than stock wheels, I just wasn't a fan of the chrome look. I had actually purchased a set of stock wheels to put on her. When I went to buy tires, I realized just how few choices I have and decided that I should switch to a more popular size. These wheels come recommended for both track and street use, so I think they'll do well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Astonishing Wang posted:

$1200 for a set and a spare. Welcome to offroading Astonishing Wang.

It loving hurts... my 285/75R16 BFG muds were $450 a corner, and ive got 6 of the loving things :(

Im changing to All Terrains next time, i cant afford to keep chewing my muddies up driving on the road the whole time

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

dangerz posted:

I ordered a set of 18 and 19 inch TSW Nurburgrings. I wrapped them in Michelin Super Sport tires. 265 front, 305 rear.

The previous owner had removed the original z06 wheels and put on reproduction chrome c6z06 wheels. Disregarding how much heavier they are than stock wheels, I just wasn't a fan of the chrome look. I had actually purchased a set of stock wheels to put on her. When I went to buy tires, I realized just how few choices I have and decided that I should switch to a more popular size. These wheels come recommended for both track and street use, so I think they'll do well.
Why do Corvettes look like FD RX7s at this angle?

Nice wheels, by the way. How much did they set you back?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dangerz posted:

I saw a silver ZR1 with that same combo and it looked REALLY good. Awesome choice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ferremit posted:

It loving hurts... my 285/75R16 BFG muds were $450 a corner, and ive got 6 of the loving things :(

Im changing to All Terrains next time, i cant afford to keep chewing my muddies up driving on the road the whole time

You're running the same size as me, except I bought Treadwrights (retreads... :can:) and spent $550 shipped on a set of 4 ATs in late 2009. Current price on a set of MTs would be $540 for 4 MT knockoffs, $576 for 4 MTR knockoffs, both load range E: https://www.treadwright.com/c-16-285-75r16.aspx

I bet even shipping and import duty would still leave you spending less. And don't really be concerned about them being retreads, I've had mine up over 100mph (160) and done stupid poo poo to them and they haven't exploded.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

You're running the same size as me, except I bought Treadwrights (retreads... :can:) and spent $550 shipped on a set of 4 ATs in late 2009. Current price on a set of MTs would be $540 for 4 MT knockoffs, $576 for 4 MTR knockoffs, both load range E: https://www.treadwright.com/c-16-285-75r16.aspx

I bet even shipping and import duty would still leave you spending less. And don't really be concerned about them being retreads, I've had mine up over 100mph (160) and done stupid poo poo to them and they haven't exploded.

I put 50k on those (well, the 35" version) a long time ago - poo poo held up really well and I also had them over 100mph on a few occasions. Definitely started chunking from the rocks after a while though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4 posted:

I put 50k on those (well, the 35" version) a long time ago - poo poo held up really well and I also had them over 100mph on a few occasions. Definitely started chunking from the rocks after a while though.

I'm probably grabbing the 37x12.50R16.5 MTR knockoffs they have when I do a proper rebuild on my truck; can't find 37" muds of any kind, let alone a good brand, for $205 each elsewhere. I'm sure shipping will eat me alive but it can't be as bad as the real deal, which cost $706 each on tirerack... before shipping!

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 7, 2013

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Open wide, little PCM. This won't hurt a bit.

That little green fella at the bottom-center is a DP-Tuner F5 with an 80HP tow tune (among others).

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Falken posted:

Why do Corvettes look like FD RX7s at this angle?

Nice wheels, by the way. How much did they set you back?
With the tires mounted, balanced and shipped to my door they were ~$2300.

Powershift posted:

I saw a silver ZR1 with that same combo and it looked REALLY good. Awesome choice.
Thanks, they seem to be a popular wheel for both track and dd duty.

I weighed my fronts last night. My current 17 inch wheel + tire is 51lbs. That tire is also pretty worn. My new TSW 18 inch front and wheel are 46.2lbs. My current rear 18" wheel + tire is 56.2lbs. The TSW rears haven't come in yet, but I have a feeling they'll be a bit lower than that. I did switch to 305 on the rear (currently at 295) so that'll probably add a little extra weigh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now you've got me curious, i'll have to weigh out some of my wheels later, not that it matters being on a pigfat car.

I threw my winters on today. never got around to plastidipping them.

Goodbye hard launches. See you in the spring :(

Hello being able to move forward and stop again. how i've missed you.

I'm pretty sure the open diff RWD bmw is still faster than my 4x4 LSD f-150 on snow/ice. The "all season" scorpion ATRs are bloody terrible on anything but dry pavement. I'll hopefully get my winters on the F-150 soon.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

speaking of winter, I need to get an underbody lance for the pressure hose. So much salt on UK roads..

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Some people say that they don't handle low pressures too well. Had any experience with that?
There's someone in Sydney that sells mud retreads for $75 / corner. But I have concerns about running them at <30PSI on road and lower still for sand etc.

e: Forgot to say the issue is with tread separation.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Well poo poo. I should've waited a couple days. Might be worth switching to a 16" rim for that kind of pricing.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I came to find my driver's side mirror knocked off in my apartment parking lot with no note left. Just the plastic broken off so the assembly was hanging by the electrical wire, mirror intact. I took it to my mechanic for an estimate, he said $200-300 for a new mirror would be best. I groaned and he said "ok gently caress it, I'll do it right now." He brought out his compressed air drill, secured the assembly, and put 2 sheet metal screws in it. It's now more stable than it was before with just the stock plastic.

He wouldn't let me pay him. :) Almost nothing better than a good mechanic, second to knowing WTF you're doing around a car.

I'm just not gonna bother filing a police report, I don't see any benefit.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 8, 2013

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I came to find my driver's side mirror knocked off in my apartment parking lot with no note left. Just the plastic broken off so the assembly was hanging by the electrical wire, mirror intact. I took it to my mechanic for an estimate, he said $200-300 for a new mirror would be best. I groaned and he said "ok gently caress it, I'll do it right now." He brought out his compressed air drill, secured the assembly, and put 2 sheet metal screws in it. It's now more stable than it was before with just the stock plastic.

He wouldn't let me pay him. :) Almost nothing better than a good mechanic, second to knowing WTF you're doing around a car.

I'm just not gonna bother filing a police report, I don't see any benefit.

You must have big boobs - let's see 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Michael Scott, hit your local you-pull junkyard up and pay $25-50 for a mirror. I've destroyed countless mirrors driving around in the woods, I think the junkyard dudes wonder why I need new mirrors so often...

Astonishing Wang, that's exactly what I did. I went looking for 32" BFG ATs brand new, had a minor heart attack, then added up 4x Crager 16x8 5x4.5 4" backspacing V5s and 4x Treadwrights and realized I could save a few hundred bucks... and end up with 33s instead. I requested that they send me ones they made with BFG AT tire carcasses and they did, one of my friends didn't notice they were retreads till I told him, a year after he'd joined the wheeling club I'm in. If you have 5x4.5, you can just pick up a set of 16" steelies or alloys off any number of Fords (explorers, rangers, crown vics... etc) and do a little bit of filing on the centerbore to make them fit the jeep hub. There's a ridge in the alloys, it's easy as hell to see how much to take off, just remove the ridge, done.

Also I have run mine down as low as 8-9psi offroad, and run them up to 75 on the highway at 12psi on the way back home. I don't recommend it, but I haven't had an issue with it. With my 3800lb turdmobile I generally run them at 25psi on the street and haven't had any strange treadwear yet.