Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Aren't the items you get from cursed items set at obtaining the cursed item?
In your save file there is a seed value for each cursed item type. When you purify, it uses the appropriate seed value for a PRNG's state, which is then rolled on to determine which class, item type, then item (and any possible further info) you get. The seed value is updated from the PRNG state when pulling numbers from the PRNG as well.

So it's not tied to the item but your save file, you can influence what gets rolled based on what your class setup is but otherwise it will always be the same until you advance your cursed item type seeds by purifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Once you beat the game the 1st time, a guy in the encampment will sell you an item that lets you customize the appearance of you and your main pawn, like in the very beginning. Your character's stature determines how much you can carry. If you make your dude an 8 ft. tower of muscle you're going to be able to carry way more stuff, but you won't be as agile. The difference isn't huge.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, if you have an old save and load it up, you'll get new items in-game? And this would also unlock them for new characters? Would it be worth it for a new player to get this stuff?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, if you have an old save and load it up, you'll get new items in-game? And this would also unlock them for new characters? Would it be worth it for a new player to get this stuff?
You're limited to either continuing with an imported character or creating a new character once, if you create a new character again over a previous new character you'll lose the benefits. However, you can just delete your Dark Arisen save and import again to regain the benefits.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know you can give pawns your crap, but as a mage even healing items start to bring you down pretty quick and you can't just hand those off. My inventory is generally nothing but quest items and healing stuff and I'm usually still pretty close to average weight.

You know that so long as your pawns aren't knocked out you can trade stuff from their inventory to yours at any point. Make your main pawn a heavy, tanky pack mule with sinew and you can load them down with hundreds of healing items to trade to you if needed mid fight.

I literally only ever have a lantern, armor and weapon on my arisen (mostly because I made him Shaggy from Scooby Doo and that means he can carry roughly nothing).

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

gibbed posted:

You're limited to either continuing with an imported character or creating a new character once, if you create a new character again over a previous new character you'll lose the benefits. However, you can just delete your Dark Arisen save and import again to regain the benefits.

So if I already started a character, did this whole importing a previous save thing, the stuff wouldn't get passed to the previously-created new character?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
To celebrate the ps+ release I think I'll nuke my old MA and start a brand new BBI only char. Assassin sounds about right, shame about the 6 million RC.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Leg Strength is another handy Augment you can get to improve your weight issues. Though, it's a level 9 Strider Augment, so that'll take some time.

I was missing the tail being their weakness. It wasn't all that bad after that.
WE NEED ONLY SEVER THE TAIL

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Leg Strength is another handy Augment you can get to improve your weight issues. Though, it's a level 9 Strider Augment, so that'll take some time.

I just get Leg Strength by grinding dp on the guards in the post game. Goes pretty quickly since Strider doesn't take much dp to max. Something I've been wondering, do Asura Armor and Ring of Perseverance make your vocations rank up more quickly too, since that's dp based?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm pretty sure the Asura Armor does, and I assume the Ring does, too.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just picked this up with PS+ if I want to run around shooting things in the face with a bow which class should I go with?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Start as Strider and aim to go towards Ranger, Assassin, or Magick Archer. You can also stay as a Strider, if you want, but I don't think it's as cool. You can also start as fighter if you want, especially to at least pick up Sinew, and maybe Mage start if you're interested in going towards Magick Archer.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

mirarant posted:

From the Playstation Store thread:

That worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zore posted:

You know that so long as your pawns aren't knocked out you can trade stuff from their inventory to yours at any point. Make your main pawn a heavy, tanky pack mule with sinew and you can load them down with hundreds of healing items to trade to you if needed mid fight.

I literally only ever have a lantern, armor and weapon on my arisen (mostly because I made him Shaggy from Scooby Doo and that means he can carry roughly nothing).

You can't hand them off because the pawns will use them. I give them a few, but not everything.

Guys, I've beat the game twice I know how to move stuff in my inventory. :colbert:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

I just picked this up with PS+ if I want to run around shooting things in the face with a bow which class should I go with?

Here's a handy chart:

50/50 Shooting/Stabbing - Strider
25/75 Shooting/Stabbing - Assassin
75/25 Shooting/Stabbing - Ranger
75/25 Shooting/Stabbing but with Magic - Magic Archer

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How often should I be changing vocations?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

As much as you want. Stats aren't a huge deal thanks to some hilariously busted end game equipment but if you want to play a little of everything it's a good idea to experiment early. Stat growth on level up takes a huge hit once you reach level 100. Again, stats aren't a big deal so don't go nuts min-maxing, just keep it in mind.

e: stat growth explanation http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

As much as you want. Stats aren't a huge deal thanks to some hilariously busted end game equipment but if you want to play a little of everything it's a good idea to experiment early. Stat growth on level up takes a huge hit once you reach level 100. Again, stats aren't a big deal so don't go nuts min-maxing, just keep it in mind.

e: stat growth explanation http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

Min/maxing your stats can be useful however, since you do need pretty high damage to kill poo poo in BBI, so min/maxing your damage output a bit can let you tackle it at a lower level.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So if I wanted to be a physical attacker it would be in my best interest to switch between vocations that give good physical attack and defense stats? But it's not something to worry over, just something to sorta keep in mind?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So if I wanted to be a physical attacker it would be in my best interest to switch between vocations that give good physical attack and defense stats? But it's not something to worry over, just something to sorta keep in mind?

Yeah. Basically when you're equipping weapons that come with like 1800 phys attack attached to them a difference of 100 in your base stats really doesn't matter all that much.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there a way to use healing items on my pawns, or make them use their own? It's bumming me out that 5 minutes into every foray they're running around at half health with seemingly nothing I can do.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Also, about pawns. Should I be switching them out every couple levels if they start to lag behind, or is it better to keep them around once you picked them? I've also seen pawns that are way above my level but it looks like I could have picked them to assist me. I didn't want to pick them because I think it would make the game really easy, but could I have?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there a way to use healing items on my pawns, or make them use their own? It's bumming me out that 5 minutes into every foray they're running around at half health with seemingly nothing I can do.

Pawns will use healing items but only once they've gone below 50% if I remember correctly.

Also, about pawns. Should I be switching them out every couple levels if they start to lag behind, or is it better to keep them around once you picked them? I've also seen pawns that are way above my level but it looks like I could have picked them to assist me. I didn't want to pick them because I think it would make the game really easy, but could I have?

Yeah you can hire pawns that outlevel you, if they're not your friends' pawns the cost might be prohibitive though. Unless you want to trivialize the difficulty, I suggest hiring equal level pawns.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mirarant posted:

Pawns will use healing items but only once they've gone below 50% if I remember correctly.

So only give them the good stuff then, gotcha.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

More vocation chat: take a look at the list of augments that every class can learn. Pick ones you think you'd want and play those classes until you can get them. Like if you think you'll ever want to play a class that does magic damage you're really going to want to have those rank 9 Sorcerer augments when the time comes. And if you're going to get those augments anyway you might as well put the time in early, picking up a bunch of points in your magic stats along the way. Same with physical classes and the Warrior augments.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as you want.

To be honest, I don't think there's a single vocation that you can do 200 levels in and not end up with kind of wacked-out stats. The old vanilla method of making a high-strength character was just to level Assassin from 10-200, but you end up with low HP, defense, and magick defense if you do that, and so it's not particularly wise. The same with the min-max Sorcerer from 10-200 for any vocation that will ever touch magick.

But also, even if you spend your first 40-50 levels or so hopping between vocations to see what you enjoy the most, you can still almost always turn it around and come out with good stats once you know what you want to build towards.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Usually pawns will use healing items on their own when their HP drops below 50% or when they have a debilitation. The Mendicant inclination generally leads to them chewing through your curatives at ridiculous speed, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

As much as you want.

To be honest, I don't think there's a single vocation that you can do 200 levels in and not end up with kind of wacked-out stats. The old vanilla method of making a high-strength character was just to level Assassin from 10-200, but you end up with low HP, defense, and magick defense if you do that, and so it's not particularly wise.

Except HP and the defense stats aren't important at all. Even with comparatively low HP, there's very little that will actually oneshot you, and if it doesn't oneshot you then you can easily heal thanks to all the healing items the game throws at you. Plus you have enough control over your character to limit how much you do get hit. Atk or Mag Atk and Stamina are the three actually important stats.

If you're going physical attacker, I say switch to Assassin immediately and never change to anything else (though maybe try and max Strider for the really good Leg Strength augment, or Warrior for Clout, a strength boosting augment). It has the best strength growth and nearly best stamina growth, can use bows, shields, daggers, and swords, giving it a lot of variety, and gets some really need class-specific abilities like Masterful Kill and Gale Harness.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Except HP and the defense stats aren't important at all. Even with comparatively low HP, there's very little that will actually oneshot you, and if it doesn't oneshot you then you can easily heal thanks to all the healing items the game throws at you. Plus you have enough control over your character to limit how much you do get hit. Atk or Mag Atk and Stamina are the three actually important stats.

If you're going physical attacker, I say switch to Assassin immediately and never change to anything else (though maybe try and max Strider for the really good Leg Strength augment, or Warrior for Clout, a strength boosting augment). It has the best strength growth and nearly best stamina growth, can use bows, shields, daggers, and swords, giving it a lot of variety, and gets some really need class-specific abilities like Masterful Kill and Gale Harness.

I like to have good HP and defense on hard mode, anyway, since things start to hit pretty hard on your second run through Bitterblack. On normal mode I started to feel drat near invincible around level 100 anyway.

Edit: I also try not to carry a bunch of curatives so I can move quickly. Being able to heal quickly is really nice, but I'd rather have more HP and carry less weight. This is completely personal preference, though.

However, if you're going to end up as an Assassin, you've got so many ways to avoid damage that it's perfectly fine to have low HP and defense, and since Assassin is a ton of fun to play, that's a pretty good idea. If you're going to end up as a Warrior or Mystic Knight or something, though, more HP and defense is a great thing to have, since you don't have a dodge roll or an utterly fool-proof parry like Masterful Kill. You're going to end up tanking more hits than an Assassin would.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 7, 2013

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I really want to like this game, but after about 30-60 minutes of playing my eyes unfocus and I get a massive headache.

I have the same problem with Kingdoms of Amalur and Two Worlds 2, but I was happy to have an excuse to not play those.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
How distant are you from your television? I had the same problem with Darksiders and its sequel, but I found that playing a bit farther back and with a different light set-up helped. For me, it was having a second light source behind me, with just a bit of glare on the screen.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

I like to have good HP and defense on hard mode, anyway, since things start to hit pretty hard on your second run through Bitterblack. On normal mode I started to feel drat near invincible around level 100 anyway.

Edit: I also try not to carry a bunch of curatives so I can move quickly. Being able to heal quickly is really nice, but I'd rather have more HP and carry less weight. This is completely personal preference, though.

However, if you're going to end up as an Assassin, you've got so many ways to avoid damage that it's perfectly fine to have low HP and defense, and since Assassin is a ton of fun to play, that's a pretty good idea. If you're going to end up as a Warrior or Mystic Knight or something, though, more HP and defense is a great thing to have, since you don't have a dodge roll or an utterly fool-proof parry like Masterful Kill. You're going to end up tanking more hits than an Assassin would.

No amount of defense can save you from hard mode hydras :gonk:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Veyrall posted:

How distant are you from your television? I had the same problem with Darksiders and its sequel, but I found that playing a bit farther back and with a different light set-up helped. For me, it was having a second light source behind me, with just a bit of glare on the screen.

27 inch screen, a couple feet away (I have my PS3 hooked up to my computer monitor) in a well-lit room.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So, I killed the demon at the end of Bitterblack Isle (shorter than I'd expected, I didn't even get any equipment for my character and no weapon upgrades period) but the quest marker is still there. Did the dungeon reset or is there something new at the end? I did notice that my pawn has stars in two unfamiliar enemies.

Item carry weight continues to plague me. I hit average weight at 30 and I really don't feel like finding a place it's even possible for me to grind out vocation ranks for Sinew. I've basically got enough to be just under average with nothing but healing items and the lantern/life stones. Lotta going into a menu and moving your inventory around as a mage.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Did the dungeon reset or is there something new at the end?

The True Dragon's Dogma Starts Here

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, I killed the demon at the end of Bitterblack Isle (shorter than I'd expected, I didn't even get any equipment for my character and no weapon upgrades period) but the quest marker is still there. Did the dungeon reset or is there something new at the end? I did notice that my pawn has stars in two unfamiliar enemies.

Item carry weight continues to plague me. I hit average weight at 30 and I really don't feel like finding a place it's even possible for me to grind out vocation ranks for Sinew. I've basically got enough to be just under average with nothing but healing items and the lantern/life stones. Lotta going into a menu and moving your inventory around as a mage.

BBI is Dragma + Souls series + Ghouls n Ghosts. So yes.

Grinding vocations ranks is really easy in the post-game. Get two sorcerer pawns with AOE attacks, and aggro the guards in the Noble's Quarter. There's a short wall to the right that you can jump on. Jump on it, and the guards can't reach you, while your pawns kill them over and over as they keep spawning. You'll get around 80 EXP per guard, making this not just the easiest but best place to get DP. Go do something else for a few hours and come back to find yourself max rank. Equip Asura's Armor and Ring of Perseverance for even faster gains.

e: According to the wiki, armor sets like set of Lady's Trek Ware are "Part of the Gransys Armor Pack, added to the player's stored inventory when Dark Arisen is loaded up (and saved data of Dragon's Dogma is present)." If I started a DA save without importing, then put a DD save on my account, would I be able to get the armor sets?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 7, 2013

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So if I already started a character, did this whole importing a previous save thing, the stuff wouldn't get passed to the previously-created new character?
You can create a character, then import data after it's already made? :raise:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Once I pick up Dark Arisen, I think I'm going to go for a melee Mystic Knight since I love getting perfect blocks. I'm curious about the tanking skills though, like shield drum. Do they pretty much cause all enemies to focus on you for a while? And is it worth taking to let your pawns focus on damage rather than spread out all over the place getting picked off?

Also, do the augments that improve stats like Vehemence affect only your base stats or do are they applied after gear and buffs?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Follow Genocyber's guide for maxing out vocation ranks quickly. You'd be shocked how fast it'll go.

Also: the true Bitterblack Isle starts here. You might notice your Bitterblack shortcuts are closed now, and if you go to some formerly familiar places there might be something unexpected waiting for you. All of the chests now give better loot, as well.

It's odd that you didn't get any weapon upgrades, but if you do some purification manipulation (changing your Arisen and main pawn's vocations to alter what you get out of cursed items) you should be able to get Lv.2 weapons reasonably quickly, especially now that you can start finding them in chests.

BlueDestiny posted:

Once I pick up Dark Arisen, I think I'm going to go for a melee Mystic Knight since I love getting perfect blocks. I'm curious about the tanking skills though, like shield drum. Do they pretty much cause all enemies to focus on you for a while? And is it worth taking to let your pawns focus on damage rather than spread out all over the place getting picked off?

Also, do the augments that improve stats like Vehemence affect only your base stats or do are they applied after gear and buffs?

Mystic Knights, as far as I know, don't get access to the tanking shield skills, which honestly baffles me a bit. To get enemy attention you need to run into the middle and grab it the old fashioned way. As for pawns, letting them focus on damage is fine, though you'll probably still be better at it than they will. Once you get Abyssal Anguish, the Mystic Knight becomes shockingly good at melee damage.

Augments apply to base stats and gear as well. Vehemence, Clout, Attunement, and Acuity are incredible augments for that reason. A Mystic Knight really ought to have Clout (rank 9 Warrior) and Acuity (rank 9 Sorcerer) at all times, at least at high levels--it makes a really big difference.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 7, 2013

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BlueDestiny posted:

If you want be the tank while everyone else deals damage, play Fighter. Mystic Knight uses a different type of shield, and is more of a magic-wielding gladiator than an actual knight. Just remember that unless your pawns have Scather/Utilitarian/Challenger inclinations, they're going to accomplish the Dragon's Dogma equivalent of trying to clap with one hand. Any pawn that doesn't have at least one of those inclinations is just going to slow down your group, it doesn't matter how well-geared they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sitchelin posted:

If you want be the tank while everyone else deals damage, play Fighter. Mystic Knight uses a different type of shield, and is more of a magic-wielding gladiator than an actual knight. Just remember that unless your pawns have Scather/Utilitarian/Challenger inclinations, they're going to accomplish the Dragon's Dogma equivalent of trying to clap with one hand. Any pawn that doesn't have at least one of those inclinations is just going to slow down your group, it doesn't matter how well-geared they are.

Just want to emphasize this. You definitely want at least one of those inclinations around. Also, try to avoid Mendicant and Guardian. Mendicant sounds like it would be great on a Mage, but it just leads to them dropping everything to cast Anodyne on you every time you take a scratch; and Guardian usually means the pawn will stick to your side uselessly no matter what.

My Sorcerer pawn is Scather/Mitigator and I'm getting really good results. She used to be Scather/Utilitarian but I found that for some reason, Utilitarian kept turning into Nexus (which is quite possibly the worst inclination); she's stuck to Scather/Mitigator really well. And Sorcerers tend to do "Utilitarian" stuff automatically, like dual-casting with a Sorcerer Arisen and using the appropriate elemental damage on enemies.

• Locked thread