Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is that a longitudinally-mounted V4? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. Reminds me of an Old Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Only long V4s I can think of are Honda ST models, the Motus (want so bad), and this CTX thing.

I think Honda is as likely to replace the ST with this as they are to replace the standard Goldwing with that road glide alike they released last year. This is more about shoring up the failure that is their VTX1300 models I think.

I like it in that Honda is trying to draw outside the lines a bit, for them. But I also don't want one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Is that a longitudinally-mounted V4? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. Reminds me of an Old Wing.

It's the ST1300 motor, I imagine the rest of the drivetrain is shared as much as possible as well.

Honda has figured out they can build lots of variations of bikes with essentially the same parts (see their 500s) with minimal development cost and I'm not complaining, variety is the spice of life and it's a vast step ahead of the Honda tradition of making one bike and then changing individual parts every year for no clear reason.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Only long V4s I can think of are Honda ST models, the Motus (want so bad), and this CTX thing.

I think Honda is as likely to replace the ST with this as they are to replace the standard Goldwing with that road glide alike they released last year. This is more about shoring up the failure that is their VTX1300 models I think.

I like it in that Honda is trying to draw outside the lines a bit, for them. But I also don't want one.

I really like the old VTX1300/1800. But that new faux-custom thing they did is horrific.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I just got quoted a pretty outstanding price for a full set of Remus Hexacones. Titanium finish cans, full stainless everything else. I think I'm going to do it, ride around next season like a motherfucking superstar! Anyone know a good reason I shouldn't?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Christ I'm glad I stopped watching scifi after TNG. I remember seeing them use the word "frill" on Farscape back in the day and changing the channel. What writer thinks this is clever?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Christ I'm glad I stopped watching scifi after TNG. I remember seeing them use the word "frill" on Farscape back in the day and changing the channel. What writer thinks this is clever?

BSG is pretty decent IMO. I've never really watched any other sci-fi for over a couple episodes, but watched all of this one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It let them present a believable stressful military atmosphere, and present certain characters as rough and uncouth, on basic cable without having to bleep out half the words. It worked pretty well. The first two seasons are definitely worth the watch.

Also for content the main girl has strange taste in custom bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

By strange you mean awesome. Could probably do without the multiterrain tyres though, if that's what they are.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

By strange you mean awesome. Could probably do without the multiterrain tyres though, if that's what they are.

I think that was the "thing" a year or two ago, multiterrain tires on an otherwise street oriented bike for that tracker-look. Still could be now, i don't follow bike-exif as much as I did back then.

Still an awesome yet with a real low key style bike.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yamaha in shocking move reveals 400cc UJM with kickstarter and rear drum. in 2014. :stare:

Yamaha confirms this will never come to North America, because we are clearly being punished for the ongoing sin of having no loving taste in bikes.

The thought that, within the next decade, the youngest UJM still on the road on this continent will be eligible for collector plates is incredibly saddening. :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rime posted:

Yamaha in shocking move reveals 400cc UJM with kickstarter and rear drum. in 2014. :stare:

Yamaha confirms this will never come to North America, because we are clearly being punished for the ongoing sin of having no loving taste in bikes.

The thought that, within the next decade, the youngest UJM still on the road on this continent will be eligible for collector plates is incredibly saddening. :smith:

I'd make some sort of joke about this being a ready-made cafe-racer base for hipster retards but I just finished work and I'm too bloody tired.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rime posted:

Honestly, give it a rear disk and price it around $4000, and I'd pass one out to every new rider on the continent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'd make some sort of joke about this being a ready-made cafe-racer base for hipster retards but I just finished work and I'm too bloody tired.

The SR400 already seemed like the non-CB go-to bike for hipster cafe conversions.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Why would anyone use a new bike as a cafe base?

Not trying to hipster up the cafe thing (e.g., "blah blah not a ~real cafe~ unless it's British, 40+ years old, etc."), but cutting, re-fabbing things for a brand new bike to emulate changes that attempted to make old standard bikes into what became modern sport bikes (shedding weight, changing stance to more aggressive and tucked in posture) is super retarded.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tamir Lenk posted:

Why would anyone use a new bike as a cafe base?

Not trying to hipster up the cafe thing (e.g., "blah blah not a ~real cafe~ unless it's British, 40+ years old, etc."), but cutting, re-fabbing things for a brand new bike to emulate changes that attempted to make old standard bikes into what became modern sport bikes (shedding weight, changing stance to more aggressive and tucked in posture) is super retarded.

Sort of answered your own question there. Also because some hipster douchebags are wealthy, and because I can't picture that bike being all that expensive to begin with anyway.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Sort of answered your own question there. Also because some hipster douchebags are wealthy, and because I can't picture that bike being all that expensive to begin with anyway.

Unless it's less than $2,000, it's way too expensive as a cafe platform compared to various UJM bikes still out there from the 70's/80's.

I do enjoy hobnobbing at events with the cafe-hipsters to compare build notes. They invariably boast (or humblebrag) about the cash outlay to restore/mod their bike, sprinkled with some snobbery about the age said bike (even though they just hacked it into a cafe bike). If/when they finally get around to the reciprocal questions about my bike -- I get to drop the bomb on them:

:douche: "So where'd you have the work done on yours?"

:smuggo: "My garage."

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 7, 2013

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Beartooth Pass in that area (US 212 out of Red Lodge Montana) is very high on the list of Things I Think I Should Ride A Motorcycle On and I'm surprised that the proposed routes managed to split to either side and miss it. Be advised that it is also very high on the list of things which are very high, being 11,000 feet.

Also unless you have friends there or a particular reason to visit Minneapolis, or simply want dodge a weather calamity or color in ND on a map to check it off, I'd probably just stick with I90 all the way to Billings and beyond if that's how you're going. It was well enough paved last year. There's virtually nothing between the Mississippi and the black hills for a motorcycle to look at or do or think about aside from the Badlands and that cool rest area loopy ramp by the Missouri river. At least sticking to the southern route gives you the option of running through the badlands (worth it, even just to buzz on through once). With oil in ND, hotels will be inflated, especially during the prime season for construction.

That whole area's semi-arid, so stay well hydrated. I drove it last year in August with no AC so windows down the whole way and it did get fatiguing. Hearing protection and hydration were things I didn't really do though and that probably makes a difference.

Chiming in to say that there are badlands in North Dakota, too ... and you're more likely to see wildlife there than the SD badlands.

That said, there's not a lot to see until you get out there, and the SD route (I90) is a bit shorter and more scenic, and more populated in case of problems; it also puts you in a better position to see more sights in WY and/or MT. HHB is right, hotels will be overpriced in ND. Also, yes, hydration is important .. as is hearing protection.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dig the SR400, but the price of the ones that actually made it to the US on the first run are being driven up by hipster retards.

The closest thing available now would be the TU250x.

Not bad, but I'd like to have that extra 150-250 cc's.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 7, 2013

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

So, Caterham announced a motorcycle division.

Um...

http://caterhambikes.com

That 750 looks like it might be fun in the right situation, but the other two seem to be electric bicycles. I guess they could be fun, but I wouldn't call them motorcycles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:ssh: there's probably a reason it's called "Caterham Bikes" and they say "Now we want to share our passion for performance and affordable thrills with the biking community."

Seems like an odd combination to start selling, though. A 750cc thumper that turns into a snowmobile and two e-bikes? Dunno.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

:ssh: there's probably a reason it's called "Caterham Bikes" and they say "Now we want to share our passion for performance and affordable thrills with the biking community."

Seems like an odd combination to start selling, though. A 750cc thumper that turns into a snowmobile and two e-bikes? Dunno.

Throw a bunch of poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Tamir Lenk posted:

Unless it's less than $2,000, it's way too expensive as a cafe platform compared to various UJM bikes still out there from the 70's/80's.

It's not weird that people would want a vintage look with modern reliability.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The owner of the Radian up the street has been parking near me this week, and after hearing him start up his bike a few mornings, I feel like I should leave a post-it on his speedo saying "USE YOUR CHOKE"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really like that color and the fade on the tank.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Bike E/N post ahead:

I'm kind of just.. flat.. on the idea of riding right now. I'm seriously considering selling my bike. I haven't ridden it properly since a track day in May (I think? March?) this year and its been pretty much sitting since.
Registration lapsed and I cancelled insurance a couple months ago. I start it occasionally and enjoy the ridiculously loud leo vince pipes and glorious v-twin rumble for a few minutes then it goes back under its cover for a couple weeks.

Its not so much that I've lost interest (or so I've been telling myself) but over the span of about 3-4 months in 2013 two friends were paralyzed in accidents - one on his bike and one in her car and a buddy in my riding circle died in a bike accident. The aftermath of those events was difficult to see. There is an element of not wanting to cause that pain to my wife and family, but truthfully I don't feel afraid for myself when I am on the bike. I do want to get back on the bike at some point, but I just don't feel ready now.

It probably doesn't help that we just moved from Texas to south Florida as well aka "land of the straight road". Options for good riding are a) track day every now and then and b) ride or truck it really far north for a long weekend once or twice a year, and possibly die due to not remembering what a corner looks like. Both are expensive. I know its not helping that the bike needs some work that I haven't been motivated to do just yet.

I still read this forum regularly and enjoy talking bikes with friends, my phone and desktop wall papers are of bikes and I watch random track day videos on youtube on a pretty regular basis. I'd still love to race a season for the hell of it.
I have toyed with the idea of selling as-is and instead picking up a cheap beater track bike, or fixing and converting my bike to track only but I don't think a track day campaign next year will work financially.

Help CA, tell me its all going to be OK.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Change things up a bit. How's the dirt riding down there?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

slidebite posted:

I really like that color and the fade on the tank.

Some maniac brought this to a dual sport event I did in Virginia a few weeks ago. Then rode it like a maniac.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 8, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GanjamonII posted:

I went through some of the same emotions causing me to sell my SV650. Part of what caused me to not ride so much was I felt that squaring off my tires and putting wear on my bike just to commute was a waste of all that potential the bike had. When I borrow my dad's cruiser or times I've been on a scooter, the bike isn't whispering in my ear, "Ride like an rear end, I'm so fast, come on man" I felt much better about the idea to just commute on it. I don't know if others feel this way but I feel way more relaxed and ready to just ride down a straight road and be okay with it when I'm not on a bike geared towards any sort of performance. So I say, get a scooter. Or a supermoto and jump curbs all the time.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

As somebody in a similar situation, definitely get a supermoto.

:smith::hf::madmax:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kenny powerzzz posted:

Some maniac brought this to a dual sport event I did in Virginia a few weeks ago. Then rode it lime a maniac.

High line exhaust, big sprocket and a skinny 20-21 on the front and it would look an awful lot like a '65-ish trials bike.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Coredump posted:

I went through some of the same emotions causing me to sell my SV650. Part of what caused me to not ride so much was I felt that squaring off my tires and putting wear on my bike just to commute was a waste of all that potential the bike had. When I borrow my dad's cruiser or times I've been on a scooter, the bike isn't whispering in my ear, "Ride like an rear end, I'm so fast, come on man" I felt much better about the idea to just commute on it. I don't know if others feel this way but I feel way more relaxed and ready to just ride down a straight road and be okay with it when I'm not on a bike geared towards any sort of performance. So I say, get a scooter. Or a supermoto and jump curbs all the time.

I understand that Florida has zero curves, and curves are the fun part of riding. But, and I say this as a commuter, I still would rather do straights on a bike than a car for the most part. It's still more fun. Maybe I'm underestimating how dull Florida roads are, though, and I'm not a track rider so maybe I can't relate.

If anything, given the lame roads, maybe it frees you up to get a bike that isn't a performance beast so much as something cool and interesting that appeals to you (Ganjamon) in a different way?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Xovaan posted:

As somebody in a similar situation, definitely get a supermoto.

:smith::hf::madmax:

Seriously. Two summer's ago I was pretty down on riding after my touring buddy left me for a wife and kids. I wasn't having much fun wrestling my bike through city traffic to get to decent riding. Getting a DRZ solved all my problems.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So fell over at a stop sign and the bike landed on me and hosed up my ankle a bit. So far in the process of learning I've fallen over twice and had a dog jump out in front of me and get a good thump with my front tire. I'm wondering at what point do I stop feeling like such a colossal dumbass, haha.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

spixxor posted:

I'm wondering at what point do I stop feeling like such a colossal dumbass, haha.
Unnecessary, unless you aren't wearing proper boots or you're riding an expensive bike. :v:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

kenny powerzzz posted:

Some maniac brought this to a dual sport event I did in Virginia a few weeks ago. Then rode it lime a maniac.

Bringing a street bike to trail events has been one of my greatest pleasures this year. The initial derision you get just makes everything sweeter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The utterance of the word frack is admittedly the worst part of BSG, but they lay off it a bit after S1. Its a good series, I'm on S2 right now, so maybe it takes a poo poo at the end, i dunno, but its good so far.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Rime posted:

Bringing a street bike to trail events has been one of my greatest pleasures this year. The initial derision you get just makes everything sweeter.

Yeah the guy rode with me and my friend for the majority of the two days and I honestly felt more excitement for him than myself after riding the more challenging sections.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GanjamonII posted:

I'm kind of just.. flat.. on the idea of riding right now.

I'm at about the same point and the cold weather rolling in isn't helping things. At this point I've taken my SV out for a couple rides and while I've enjoyed it my interest in street riding is pretty much shot. Track and dirt/trials I still enjoy the hell out of but commuting just burnt me out for street riding.

I have a few street bikes in the garage that will likely be sold in the next couple months or held onto until spring then sold. I'm hoping a nice DRZ/WRX/Etc comes across craigslist so I can get back on a supermoto or at least a dual sport.

That said anyone around Knoxville interested in a SV650 or GSX250F? PM Me...I'd make a CA Mart post but :effort:

Spiffness posted:

1) get a supermoto
2) dedicated track bike - 1996 Honda RS125
3) get into dirt bikes - 2005 GasGas TXT 300 Pro
I see what needs to be done :getin:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There are 3 possible solutions to being bored of commuting and street riding.

1) get a supermoto
2) dedicated track bike
3) get into dirt bikes