Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Roboto posted:

I read somewhere it's Pratchett himself who didn't like the way Hollywood tries to focus-group everything, which prevents anything major developing over here.

Which is fine by me and is his right.

Apologies if this was covered already, but holy poo poo!:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/30/neil-gaiman-makes-it-sound-like-good-omens-is-back-in-terry-gilliams-hands-again/

I want that to be true so bad. Though I'm morbidly curious what the 2002 version would have been like - Robin Williams as Aziraphale might have worked, and Johnny Depp as Crowley is pretty perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Yessssss.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That would be awesome, but please no Johnny Depp. I suspect he would ruin the film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

That would be awesome, but please no Johnny Depp. I suspect he would ruin the film.

Depp was slated for the 2002 version, I highly doubt he'd be even on the table, though since he has a history with Gilliam, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I think current British it man Benedict Cumberbatch would be good for it, but first he would have to stop being in every major release of 2014.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Depp's a decent actor when working with the right director, as long as Gilliam stops him from trying to pull a Crowley Sparrow he could do a good job.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ Not to go too far off topic but he was really great in The Rum Diaries.

BananaNutkins posted:

I think current British it man Benedict Cumberbatch would be good for it, but first he would have to stop being in every major release of 2014.

He could actually be good as Crowley or Aziraphale, I think. Cast him as both!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

precision posted:

e: ^^^^ Not to go too far off topic but he was really great in The Rum Diaries.

He could actually be good as Crowley or Aziraphale, I think. Cast him as both!

Cumberbatch Aziraphale, Freeman Crowley. Ultimate stunt casting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

the JJ posted:

Tumblr would explode!

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
I could totally see Stephen Fry as Aziraphale. Maybe Hugh Laurie as Crowley - I hear they work well together.

I could also see Colin Firth Vs Clive Owen.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

the JJ posted:

Nah. Cumberbatch Crowley, Gatiss Aziraphale.

Perfect.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think Depp is a great actor when he is not working with a horrible director like Tim Burton. I just don't see him as Crowley. I was thinking Cumberbatch could pull it off, but he doesn't seem right, either. Why does every role always have to be filled by a major star?

E: Reposting my question that got ignored:

Does anyone know why the US release of Raising Steam got pushed back till March? For the last ten or more years the books have been release concurrently in the US/UK. But the UK version comes out on Thursday, still. Anyone know?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Waltzing Along posted:

Does anyone know why the US release of Raising Steam got pushed back till March? For the last ten or more years the books have been release concurrently in the US/UK. But the UK version comes out on Thursday, still. Anyone know?

I don't think anyone ignored it, I doubt anyone here KNOWS. These are the SA forums, not exactly the hub for literature talk.

Try the official TP forums for that kind of info, someone there will know.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't think anyone ignored it, I doubt anyone here KNOWS. These are the SA forums, not exactly the hub for literature talk.

Oh..duh. I'm so used to the wealth of knowledge here I rarely go elsewhere. Kinda scary out there, you know.

E: And ordered from the UK.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 5, 2013

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm playing guessing here, because I don't know. But did one of his recent Long Earth or Dodger books get delayed? Maybe they don't want to do too many releases at the same time?

Maybe Terry has decided he wants to personally remove all the extra u's and put in the extra z's?

Probably just printing volume or licensing poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder how many sales the US distributors will lose by not having a concurrent release.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MikeJF posted:

I wonder how many sales the US distributors will lose by not having a concurrent release.

All of the hardcore fan sales. All of them. They will only get the sales from people who pick up the book in bookstores. Amazon.com will lose all kindle sales to amazon.co.uk, as well. Same company, but different departments.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Welcome to the way buying books by US authors in the rest of the world has been for all time. Suck it up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

All of the hardcore fan sales. All of them. They will only get the sales from people who pick up the book in bookstores. Amazon.com will lose all kindle sales to amazon.co.uk, as well. Same company, but different departments.
Okay, so after they lose those couple thousand readers, they'll pick up the other hundreds of thousands of casual readers who just grab the books when they see them on the shelf at Barnes and Noble or an airport bookstore. Pratchett is a bestselling author, so he's going to have a sales pattern similar to Clancy or Patterson or any other popular fiction writer. These aren't books with a specific, easy-to-lose audience. I don't think the publisher is super worried.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also, it appears Canada is getting it a week after the UK. See, this is why you don't lead a revolution to overthrow the British. They give you their cool stuff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FactsAreUseless posted:

the other hundreds of thousands of casual readers

I'm pretty sure that the majority of his book sales are by his fans. There are always going to be people who buy books on a lark or just pick them up when they see them, but I'd wager that they will lose at least 50% of their sales to people ordering from overseas (or Canada.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm pretty sure that the majority of his book sales are by his fans. There are always going to be people who buy books on a lark or just pick them up when they see them, but I'd wager that they will lose at least 50% of their sales to people ordering from overseas (or Canada.)

Or simply pirating the British version of the eBook.

It's not like it'll make or break the publisher and certainly not Terry but I can't see any way this doesn't result in lost sales. The casual people who just pick the book up on a lark will do that regardless of whether it comes out next week or in three months, you know?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know that in the 90s, as soon as I found out I could order from amazon.co.uk I got caught up. Before that I just got the books as they came out here. From that point I ordered them direct from the source until releases were concurrent. I'm not waiting for my discworld fix...even if Snuff was terrible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think this is at all correct, and I say this with several years of bookselling experience. Popular fiction like this just doesn't rely that heavily on a dedicated buy-it-first-weekend fanbase. Sure, there are plenty of people who buy all the new Pratchett books, but I doubt many of them are going to have it specially shipped from England just to read it early. They'll certainly lose a few sales, but there are tons of people who don't even know when the new books come out: they just see them promoted at a bookstore.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!
So has anyone else finished reading Raising Steam yet? Its been sold for a few days now here and I just finished it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Natural Joe posted:

So has anyone else finished reading Raising Steam yet? Its been sold for a few days now here and I just finished it.

Where's "here"? Terry's facebook page says it was published today in the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlphaDog posted:

Where's "here"? Terry's facebook page says it was published today in the UK.

Yeah. Brick and mortar stores will have had their stock in for a few days, but they will have been embargoed from selling it until today.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!
A QBD (a book shop chain)in NSW, Australia. Its been advertised as on sale there since the 1st but I got a copy on the 5th.

I thought it was a bit weird that no one else was talking about it.

Natural Joe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 7, 2013

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My Kindle have been sorta strange with the 3G, so I've only just downloaded it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Just got it in the post this afternoon, about about 3/4 finished.
I'm definitely enjoying it, but who doesn't enjoy steam engines?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In case anyone didn't know: In the Kindle management settings on amazon.com, under "country settings", you can change your address to 10 Downing Street, order the ebook from amazon.co.uk, then change the address back to your previous address.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I too got it today and I'm halfway through, so far it certainly is a fine book. With a very Pratchett like call back to Reaper Man in the beginning. Unless it goes terribly off the rails before the end I'd rank it with Thud and Going Postal.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Finished and I found very enjoyable, certainly better paced/made than Snuff.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

withak posted:

In case anyone didn't know: In the Kindle management settings on amazon.com, under "country settings", you can change your address to 10 Downing Street, order the ebook from amazon.co.uk, then change the address back to your previous address.

Oooh... I know what I'm doing tonight.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Geokinesis posted:

Finished and I found very enjoyable, certainly better paced/made than Snuff.

Also just finished it, I find it an odd hybrid of his older style, by that I mean the pastiche and his newer darker1 style. Earlier I mentioned Thud, well if you imagine Thud meets something like Soul Music, lots of pop culture references of things about the railway and to do with the railway2 and I'm not too keen on the whole 'Capitalism makes everyone's lives better' but that seems to be a message that Pratchett keeps pushing in all of his books. But despite these slight misgivings it's absolutely a better book than both Unseen Academicals and Snuff.

1 Might not actually be darker per-say but more nuanced, not sure how to properly phrase it. What I mean is the change between like Men at Arms and Night Watch.

2 Although these seem very much more in your face than for instance 'They're Definitively Dwarves', although I might just have missed the more subtle ones.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

UnquietDream posted:

Also just finished it, I find it an odd hybrid of his older style, by that I mean the pastiche and his newer darker1 style. Earlier I mentioned Thud, well if you imagine Thud meets something like Soul Music, lots of pop culture references of things about the railway and to do with the railway2 and I'm not too keen on the whole 'Capitalism makes everyone's lives better' but that seems to be a message that Pratchett keeps pushing in all of his books. But despite these slight misgivings it's absolutely a better book than both Unseen Academicals and Snuff.

1 Might not actually be darker per-say but more nuanced, not sure how to properly phrase it. What I mean is the change between like Men at Arms and Night Watch.

2 Although these seem very much more in your face than for instance 'They're Definitively Dwarves', although I might just have missed the more subtle ones.

Yeah I get what you mean with style and agree that the capitalism/social mobility bit rubs me the wrong way but I love the The whole Northern thing with brassbands and flat caps it was reet good. Also the first train spotter showing the note that just said '1' on it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Havn't had time to go to town, last couple of books has been out about a week early here. I preordered on amazon anyhow half a year ago but its showing up as shipping on the 15th, when I add the book to a new order (which now costs more of course) it says shipped tommarow. :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Preordering is often the worst thing. The amount of times I've preordered a book only to then stare jealously at it in bookstores while I wait a week or more for it to come in the mail... :sigh:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Eh, I don't think it's pushing capitalism, though that was a part of the narrative. The book was more about acceptance, and trying to make change better for everyone.

Also, will the next book be a mystery book on a train? I mean, we could see more of the __gnomes__ now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, will the next book be a mystery book on a train?

I just had the mental image of the Witches handling a murder mystery on a train. It was glorious.