Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We're hiring a sort of all around motion graphics/editor/hopefully 3D experience guy!

http://www.mandy.com/1/jobs3.cfm?v=56334697&skill=all&terr=usa

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask here. And they're not joking about the ping pong serve. We're starting to get competitive. We've had our own internal tournaments, but this past week one of our clients, Bomgar, challenged us to a real tournament and destroyed us. So we've all vowed to take it pretty serious from here on out. We play at least a few games each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I'm looking for advice and support from people who moved to an area that haven't lived before just to find a better opportunity in jobs.

I'm living in Louisiana right now, but want to move to NY for more opportunity in creative work. I have a background in music industry / audio & film production. Anyways, I've been applying to jobs but nothing is biting primarily I think because I live here, and not there. I'm also applying to more entry level stuff.

I have enough money saved up to live without a job for 6 months. My question is I guess is this a wise move to move to another city without securing a job first? I know it's not going to be easy, but just wanted to get some opinions.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Peacebone posted:

I'm looking for advice and support from people who moved to an area that haven't lived before just to find a better opportunity in jobs.

I'm living in Louisiana right now, but want to move to NY for more opportunity in creative work. I have a background in music industry / audio & film production. Anyways, I've been applying to jobs but nothing is biting primarily I think because I live here, and not there. I'm also applying to more entry level stuff.

I have enough money saved up to live without a job for 6 months. My question is I guess is this a wise move to move to another city without securing a job first? I know it's not going to be easy, but just wanted to get some opinions.

Depends a ton on your resume, experience and industry, but people tend to go both ways on this type of thing. Just living someplace doesn't improve your chances of finding a job, in my experience, unless you're really using the location to your advantage (eg. going to networking events every night, trying to meet with people in your industry, etc). If you're not going to be doing that, you're better off staying put and using the rent money to pay for plane tickets to fly up to interviews.

I have a buddy who "moved to New York to find a design job," but just continued to sit in his (new, more expensive) apartment surfing job sites and sending out resumes like an idiot and eventually just ran out of money. New York is a competitive market for pretty much any creative profession and there are thousands of other people who moved there for the exact same reasons you did, so you have to work to stand out.

Also make sure that you're calculating rent and stuff correctly... The cost of living in NY is going to be astronomical compared to LA.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Agreed with the above - this industry is 99% contacts. Move, but only if you're ready to hustle. If you think you have 6 months of living expenses you have three in New York living frugally.

If you decide to move up, send me a pm.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Hurr, so I have a question. I am currently double majoring CS/Studio Art at an undergrad liberal arts college. It has been occurring to me that I want a career in art, and I have been considering product design or animation. I don't really have the skill set for either as it's a liberal arts school. I really want to go to grad school after my undergrad, but is that a smart decision for art? If I could do product design, I would want to make products that use technology to help/improve people's lives, especially for disabled or mentally ill people. I have no idea how to jump into this. I asked around and someone vaguely told me to check out RISD, but what are other programs? Does product design sound like the correct major for what I want to do? (I have always loved animation and would do it if it wasn't for the fact that I believe I could help people more by doing a different job :(

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Hurr, so I have a question. I am currently double majoring CS/Studio Art at an undergrad liberal arts college. It has been occurring to me that I want a career in art, and I have been considering product design or animation. I don't really have the skill set for either as it's a liberal arts school. I really want to go to grad school after my undergrad, but is that a smart decision for art? If I could do product design, I would want to make products that use technology to help/improve people's lives, especially for disabled or mentally ill people. I have no idea how to jump into this. I asked around and someone vaguely told me to check out RISD, but what are other programs? Does product design sound like the correct major for what I want to do? (I have always loved animation and would do it if it wasn't for the fact that I believe I could help people more by doing a different job :(

:psyduck: If you have dual degrees in CS and studio art you are probably more than qualified to get a job in the design field ESPECIALLY for accessibility!! People who are skilled in both areas are pretty rare.

For example, you might be able to get a job with a software company or with an educational publisher/developer making web sites or apps more usable by disabled people. Just in the education sector alone, think about how much compliance work needs to be done to make software accessible to people who are learning disabled/autism spectrum. Jesus, you're in the best possible position right now, this is a huge growth area. You mentioned RISD, if you're in the Boston area there is a ton of opportunity for this kind of thing. (http://www.cast.org/about/opportunities/index.html#id_ra)

Don't go to grad school before you have put some serious time into finding some entry-level work in this field. I think you will get ten times the value from work experience on the ground, using the education you already have, than if you went into ++$$debt at a top-tier expensive place like RISD.

P.S. Don't go into animation, the field is saturated and only going to get worse.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Be sure to check out CMU's HCI program: http://www.hcii.cmu.edu/ Seems right up your alley, especially if you're into accessibility and helping people. Many of the current student projects involve applications to help people learn/improve accessibility. CMU also has a product design masters program, as well as many other design/CS/arts related grad programs.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
I need some advice :(
I'm currently at Simon Fraser University for their Interactive Arts and Technology program. So far it's been OK. We do a lot of general stuff, a little graphic design here, a little animation there, some web design thrown in. Some people prefer this, because it gives you a taste and a little experience in everything, but I've heard from graduates they have trouble getting a job since they generally are not specialized in anything. Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing.
I've considered Emily Carr, Kwantlen and Capilano for the more art related programs, but the tuition increases from SFU (at least for Emily Carr) are terrifying. I'm also just not sure what is in demand right now, or what would be a good area to go into: graphic design? web design? game development and art? Advisors at school so far haven't been useful.
If anyone lives in British Columbia and you could give me some advice in terms of which school would be best to attend, that'd be real nice :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You definitely need to pick a path and specialize. If your program really spans the gamut from graphic design to game design, you are indeed going way too shallow into each of these respective fields.

I'm not sure if it's any different in Canada, but between graphic and web design in the US you'd probably want to go with web design. The market for graphic designers is horrifically saturated and thus good jobs are hard to find and salaries are extremely low. However it really depends on what type of career you want. With enough motivation and effort you can still find great graphic design jobs.

And as anyone in this thread will probably tell you – your portfolio is what will get you a job, not the name of the school on your resume. If your current program has good professors and you're dedicated enough to work on projects outside of class, you'll be fine.

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"
I just graduated as a Graphic Designer focused on photography, as such i don't have that big of a design portafolio but i have lots of photos for a photography one.
I'm in Mexico and the job market pretty much sucks, photography jobs are less than graphic design ones and both suck at paying. Everyone asks for 2-3 years experience at least.

Good news is that i'm not married/ have kids/ student loan (yay! public university!)

From what i gathered the ones that pay well are the web designer jobs that ask for html5/css3/javascript/wordpress etc., I have a basic notion of html and took a course on making a basic webpage on dreamweaver/flash (which now is outdated i think), but i have no idea where to start on this dynamic web designer thing and how to make a good portafolio out of it to get a job as a web designer.

I just want to know what should i teach myself to be up to date on webdesign and where to start. What would be the essential thing i should know? Any recommended books/resources for the task? What should a designer know code wise?

Should i make imaginary design projects for my portafolio? I only have a few ones from school which i'm in the process of fixing out so they're more presentable at a portafolio but i will probably need more.

Thanks

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Ksi posted:

I just graduated as a Graphic Designer focused on photography, as such i don't have that big of a design portafolio but i have lots of photos for a photography one.
I'm in Mexico and the job market pretty much sucks, photography jobs are less than graphic design ones and both suck at paying. Everyone asks for 2-3 years experience at least.

Good news is that i'm not married/ have kids/ student loan (yay! public university!)

From what i gathered the ones that pay well are the web designer jobs that ask for html5/css3/javascript/wordpress etc., I have a basic notion of html and took a course on making a basic webpage on dreamweaver/flash (which now is outdated i think), but i have no idea where to start on this dynamic web designer thing and how to make a good portafolio out of it to get a job as a web designer.

I just want to know what should i teach myself to be up to date on webdesign and where to start. What would be the essential thing i should know? Any recommended books/resources for the task? What should a designer know code wise?

Should i make imaginary design projects for my portafolio? I only have a few ones from school which i'm in the process of fixing out so they're more presentable at a portafolio but i will probably need more.

Thanks

If you want to get into web design, the best thing you can do is design (and code) websites. I'm a UI designer working on a browser-based application and I do a lot of the front-end coding/development as well, and while I have a formal education in design, I have no formal training in web development. It really just takes doing. Some tips:

-DON'T DESIGN WEBSITES IN DREAMWEAVER. Code your stuff by hand. Go switch DW's workspace to Coder, switch the view from Design to Code and never look back. The code editor half of Dreamweaver is pretty nice - it's what I use as a primary code editor. However, I never, ever touch any of the 'design' functions. And to me, listing 'Dreamweaver' as a skill on your resume means you don't know jackshit about how to actually construct websites.

-Flash is effectively dead as far as web design goes. Don't even think about making Flash websites.

-If you want to do Wordpress, get into theme development. Install Wordpress locally, download some free themes from Wordpress.org (like Toolbox), open them up and see how they're put together and then make some modifications. Read everything on ThemeShaper and check out the Underscores theme: http://underscores.me/ It's a fabulous foundation for designing your own themes.

-Use Chrome dev tools and/or Firebug to inspect websites. Explore how the HTML and CSS work together. Use these tools to change attributes and see what happens.

-For Javascript, start out by implementing snippets of code on your own site. Check out the CodeAcademy lessons (I've done some and they seem okay - be careful of the third party contributed ones, though).

As for books to read and resources, I don't really know, honestly. The books I read when I got started are all sorely outdated now because this stuff changes so fast. Whichever books you read, make sure that they are new and up-to-date. Try CodeAcademy, I guess. But all in all, I really think you learn best by just doing, once you pick up the minimum basics of HTML/CSS.

And yes, absolutely give yourself imaginary projects to put in your portfolio. Actually, what you can do is make your first project your own portfolio website. I'd recommend finding a Wordpress theme that mostly works for you and then modify it - change the typography, the colors, the margins, etc. Really, Wordpress is great for learning front-end development and how to implement your designs. I think my knowledge of WP helped get me my job - it demonstrates that I can work around an existing back-end and with an API and know enough coding/design to make a WP site look and act like anything, whether it be a blog or portfolio or corporate site.

This is all kind of high-level stuff, so maybe someone else can suggest specific resources.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 7, 2013

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I live in the UK. This year I'm graduating with a joint honors degree in English Lit and Film. Now What Do I Do?

My goal is to work in either writing / video editing, I feel like I could do either just fine. Should I apply specifically for one sort of work straight away? Should I be a runner and work my way up? Should I just go into Freelance? Should I move to America, Canada or one of the more commercial parts of Britain? Everyone probably panics around the same time I am now, but it would be nice to have a little guidance. Thanks in advance, artgoons :unsmith:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Authentic You posted:

-DON'T DESIGN WEBSITES IN DREAMWEAVER. Code your stuff by hand. Go switch DW's workspace to Coder, switch the view from Design to Code and never look back. The code editor half of Dreamweaver is pretty nice - it's what I use as a primary code editor. However, I never, ever touch any of the 'design' functions. And to me, listing 'Dreamweaver' as a skill on your resume means you don't know jackshit about how to actually construct websites.

This was something that got hammered into us in my web development class. There's a quote our instructor said that I'm trying to remember but I think it went "Knowing CSS will help your design websites. Knowing Dreamweaver will help you draw boxes". Knowing how to hand code is fundamental in designing websites. Anything you can do in Dreamweaver you can do better and have more control over in Notepad, if you know what to do.

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"

Authentic You posted:

If you want to get into web design, the best thing you can do is design (and code) websites. I'm a UI designer working on a browser-based application and I do a lot of the front-end coding/development as well, and while I have a formal education in design, I have no formal training in web development. It really just takes doing. Some tips:

-Flash is effectively dead as far as web design goes. Don't even think about making Flash websites.

-If you want to do Wordpress, get into theme development. Install Wordpress locally, download some free themes from Wordpress.org (like Toolbox), open them up and see how they're put together and then make some modifications. Read everything on ThemeShaper and check out the Underscores theme: http://underscores.me/ It's a fabulous foundation for designing your own themes.

-Use Chrome dev tools and/or Firebug to inspect websites. Explore how the HTML and CSS work together. Use these tools to change attributes and see what happens.

-For Javascript, start out by implementing snippets of code on your own site. Check out the CodeAcademy lessons (I've done some and they seem okay - be careful of the third party contributed ones, though).

As for books to read and resources, I don't really know, honestly. The books I read when I got started are all sorely outdated now because this stuff changes so fast. Whichever books you read, make sure that they are new and up-to-date. Try CodeAcademy, I guess. But all in all, I really think you learn best by just doing, once you pick up the minimum basics of HTML/CSS.

And yes, absolutely give yourself imaginary projects to put in your portfolio. Actually, what you can do is make your first project your own portfolio website. I'd recommend finding a Wordpress theme that mostly works for you and then modify it - change the typography, the colors, the margins, etc. Really, Wordpress is great for learning front-end development and how to implement your designs. I think my knowledge of WP helped get me my job - it demonstrates that I can work around an existing back-end and with an API and know enough coding/design to make a WP site look and act like anything, whether it be a blog or portfolio or corporate site.

This is all kind of high-level stuff, so maybe someone else can suggest specific resources.

Thanks for all the great advice, i didn't even know the bad rep dreamweaver has for true webdesign. I think i'll start with wordpress--html/css then, as for resources i've been looking at codeacademy and it seems cool as you say.

Are paid options any better? Lynda//treehouse come to mind, would they be worth it or i'm better off by myself with the free stuff?

Again, thanks :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Notepad++ is the one true web dev software.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Not sure if this question was asked before and if it did, I'm sorry for not searching the forums more. But I was wondering if there was a difference between me getting a graphic design degree in an art school and getting one in a public university such as arizona state or uconn.

I already completed four years of school earning a bachelors of science in a completely different field but I would like to go back to learn the fundamentals of art and design. I already have some experience with the creative suite programs and have some freelance experience, but I feel like it would be better to learn in an actual design program. I do have a few pieces in my portfolio but would like to expand my horizons more. I feel like I lack the discipline to teach myself more of the fundamentals design.

Thanks in advance

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Ksi posted:

Thanks for all the great advice, i didn't even know the bad rep dreamweaver has for true webdesign. I think i'll start with wordpress--html/css then, as for resources i've been looking at codeacademy and it seems cool as you say.

Are paid options any better? Lynda//treehouse come to mind, would they be worth it or i'm better off by myself with the free stuff?

SA has a pretty active thread which covers most of the basic getting started questions. It also contains a list of commonly used tools & languages, although new fancy stuff comes out all the time.

Using a free learning resource is great if you're just getting started. Once you have a solid grasp of HTML, CSS, and JS you can consider looking at paid for learning services which may have better tutorials. You can learn nearly anything about web design or dev for free if you work on your google fu or ask the right questions in the right places.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Not sure if this question was asked before and if it did, I'm sorry for not searching the forums more. But I was wondering if there was a difference between me getting a graphic design degree in an art school and getting one in a public university such as arizona state or uconn.

Some state schools have pretty good art programs so it really depends. I'd research the program(s) you're interested in and see if they're good.

Try to find student and faculty work to see if it's strong work or not, see what alumni from that school are doing, check what the faculty did before teaching, etc.

This really goes for any state school, art school, tech school, mentorship, atelier, or whatever. I went to a two year tech school that just so happened to have a great animation program that the majority of their alumni were hired by local video game companies.

Also the main thing with art/design related stuff is that your work/portfolio is what's going to get you a job, not necessarily where you went to school. A good program really helps, but you still need to put in the hours.

Hope this helps

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I already completed four years of school earning a bachelors of science in a completely different field but I would like to go back to learn the fundamentals of art and design. I already have some experience with the creative suite programs and have some freelance experience, but I feel like it would be better to learn in an actual design program. I do have a few pieces in my portfolio but would like to expand my horizons more. I feel like I lack the discipline to teach myself more of the fundamentals design.

Thanks in advance

Quoting myself from a few pages ago because it makes sense in this context.

kedo posted:

To be honest, I've never seen an application from an AI student that wasn't terrible. Like any creative program, you're only going to get out of it what you put into it, and if all you're doing is the bare minimum coursework you're not going to learn much and you're going to have a lovely portfolio. Expensive and high ranking schools like MICA or SVA (for example) push their students really hard, so it's difficult for someone to graduate without a pretty solid portfolio – AI doesn't do the same it seems. If you want to be able to compete with the best of the best, you'll have to work on a lot of self-initiated or freelance projects to flesh out your portfolio, and probably also do some out of class reading (theory!) and consuming of design to stay up to date.

Point being, as someone who looks at a ton of portfolios and applications I don't immediately consider AI a mark against you, but the statistics are not in your favor.

Replace "AI" with "state school," and lessen my harsh judgement a little bit. Basically you can do well in creative program at a public university, but you'll have to work yourself hard. You'll be in class with students who don't give a poo poo and will pass through with hilariously bad portfolios because their professors don't hold their work to a high standard. However you can still get a lot from the program as long as you're motivated.

Good art schools will make you work and practically force you to become a better designer. You'll be able to get the fundamentals from a state school, but if you lack discipline to such a degree that you can't improve yourself on your own, you're going to have a tough time in this industry. Ask any designer whose work you respect how they got so good and they'll probably tell you it's because they're always posting designing.

That all being said, quality art schools generally cost a lot of money (see: MICA, RISD, SVA, etc). If you go to a degree factory like Full Sail or something you're going to be sorely disappointed.

e: Or in a nutshell:

le capitan posted:

Also the main thing with art/design related stuff is that your work/portfolio is what's going to get you a job, not necessarily where you went to school. A good program really helps, but you still need to put in the hours.

kedo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 8, 2013

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
I know this is out of discussion, but what do you gentlemen think about a career in Computer Engineering?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

PrivRyan posted:

I know this is out of discussion, but what do you gentlemen think about a career in Computer Engineering?

I think it's a fine career, but SH/SC might be a better place to ask about it.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading some of the most recent posts in this thread, and wanted to ask for "advice" without getting all E/N.

A short background on me before I get to my questions. I'm 26 years old, live in Pittsburgh, but I have never gotten a degree. From 2007-09 I went to college and barely got enough credits just shy of two years. About 10K in student loan debt, however my experience at this particular university was awful. I would rather start from scratch all over again if it was possible.

One of the things that is holding me back from being committed to school with a focus on an art degree is that I struggle if I am even good enough to compete out on the market.

When I took some art classes in my university, I pushed myself to set apart from my peers and I think in these basic classes you can separate the wheat from the chaff. What I mean is you can tell who has talent and who doesn't. From my perspective, I viewed this as if I'm asking the question "Am I a good artist?". Not sure how healthy this kind of self-doubting is, but it was there.

I know I possess natural talent to succeed in whatever is thrown at me, but I need to sharpen up my skills. I thrive on competing with other classmates to make my work better.

But anyway, how truly concerned should I be about measuring my own skills and talents? I've been reading elsewhere how over-saturated the market is right now for say graphic designers, and with the economy the way it is, the arts in general have suffered immensely. It appears networking is even more important than the actual portfolio you can present.

My dream was to be a painter, I think I can be really good at it but I no longer have any real ambitions to pursue it anymore. I'm decent enough in Photoshop and Illustrator but I do like both technology and art. Maybe I can compromise with the two, like someone had about with a CS degree and a minor in art. But I do have a knack for design, so I am really considering a graphic design degree.

I just don't want to pile on an exorbitant amount of debt for my education. My current employer only pays up to 75% of 3,000 annually, but it has to be business related. (I work for a bank, my construction thing didn't take off as planned)

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 12, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I need some advice.

I'm attempting to register for my Spring 2014 classes at CCSF (city college of San Francisco) only to find out that there are schedule conflicts with several of the required courses, and one of the required courses isn't even offered at all. Needless to say, this is alarming and pretty loving stupid.

I was thinking about transferring to a better school anyway, something that would offer me more than the basic animation skills. I've been considering San Jose State University, because they supposedly have a good animation/illustration program. My major concern is that it's a bit late to attempt to transfer somewhere for a Spring Semester and that I'm basically poo poo out of luck until the Fall rolls around again. I'm not particularly keen on waiting that long.

I do have an appointment to speak with the program chair here at CCSF to figure out what the gently caress is happening, as well as the VA to essentially do the same.

I guess my questions are:

Is SJSU a decent school and will it actually be worth my time and effort to move to San Jose to finish my schooling?

Is it even feasible to transfer to another school at this point?

EDIT: Essentially this whole not having the classes they say I need has me freaking the gently caress out and just trying to get away from there as soon as possible. It strikes me as unprofessional, sloppy, and doesn't really instill me with confidence for what to expect from the rest of my schooling at CCSF.

Confounding Factor posted:

I've been reading some of the most recent posts in this thread, and wanted to ask for "advice" without getting all E/N.

A short background on me before I get to my questions. I'm 26 years old, live in Pittsburgh, but I have never gotten a degree. From 2007-09 I went to college and barely got enough credits just shy of two years. About 10K in student loan debt, however my experience at this particular university was awful. I would rather start from scratch all over again if it was possible.

One of the things that is holding me back from being committed to school with a focus on an art degree is that I struggle if I am even good enough to compete out on the market.

When I took some art classes in my university, I pushed myself to set apart from my peers and I think in these basic classes you can separate the wheat from the chaff. What I mean is you can tell who has talent and who doesn't. From my perspective, I viewed this as if I'm asking the question "Am I a good artist?". Not sure how healthy this kind of self-doubting is, but it was there.

I know I possess natural talent to succeed in whatever is thrown at me, but I need to sharpen up my skills. I thrive on competing with other classmates to make my work better.

But anyway, how truly concerned should I be about measuring my own skills and talents? I've been reading elsewhere how over-saturated the market is right now for say graphic designers, and with the economy the way it is, the arts in general have suffered immensely. It appears networking is even more important than the actual portfolio you can present.

My dream was to be a painter, I think I can be really good at it but I no longer have any real ambitions to pursue it anymore. I'm decent enough in Photoshop and Illustrator but I do like both technology and art. Maybe I can compromise with the two, like someone had about with a CS degree and a minor in art. But I do have a knack for design, so I am really considering a graphic design degree.

I just don't want to pile on an exorbitant amount of debt for my education. My current employer only pays up to 75% of 3,000 annually, but it has to be business related. (I work for a bank, my construction thing didn't take off as planned)

Don't worry about how good other people are in comparison to you right now. Be more concerned with how good you are in relation to yourself and your past work. Certainly, some people will be more skilled/proficient at something than others, but that's not particularly important. What is important is building up a body of work that represents you and your skills as an artist.

What it sounds like right now, is that you don't have a particular field in mind that you want to pursue. I'd say figure what exactly it is that you want to do and make a plan of sorts about how you want to get there. School isn't entirely necessary to become a skilled artist, but it offers the time and resources to make it much easier.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 12, 2013

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

I lost my job recently, and needed that income to pay for the classes I'm currently taking. I'm thinking about just going full time student and using federal loans instead of working full time and doing part time student.

What do you guys think?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

PrivRyan posted:

I lost my job recently, and needed that income to pay for the classes I'm currently taking. I'm thinking about just going full time student and using federal loans instead of working full time and doing part time student.

What do you guys think?

What are you studying?

poo poo never mind, computer engineering?

You shouldn't have a problem finding a job with that.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

PrivRyan posted:

What do you guys think?

Loans can be really helpful, it sucks paying them back because it takes forever, thanks to the amount they are and their interest rates. I'd say try to limit the amount you receive and try to work at least some while in school to limit the amount of debt you accumulate. In the end if you feel like it's worth it to receive a quality education that will help you gain employment in the field you want to be in go for it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

dog nougat posted:

I need some advice.

I'm attempting to register for my Spring 2014 classes at CCSF (city college of San Francisco) only to find out that there are schedule conflicts with several of the required courses, and one of the required courses isn't even offered at all. Needless to say, this is alarming and pretty loving stupid.

I was thinking about transferring to a better school anyway, something that would offer me more than the basic animation skills. I've been considering San Jose State University, because they supposedly have a good animation/illustration program. My major concern is that it's a bit late to attempt to transfer somewhere for a Spring Semester and that I'm basically poo poo out of luck until the Fall rolls around again. I'm not particularly keen on waiting that long.

I do have an appointment to speak with the program chair here at CCSF to figure out what the gently caress is happening, as well as the VA to essentially do the same.

I guess my questions are:

Is SJSU a decent school and will it actually be worth my time and effort to move to San Jose to finish my schooling?

Is it even feasible to transfer to another school at this point?

EDIT: Essentially this whole not having the classes they say I need has me freaking the gently caress out and just trying to get away from there as soon as possible. It strikes me as unprofessional, sloppy, and doesn't really instill me with confidence for what to expect from the rest of my schooling at CCSF.

So I've spoken with one of my teachers and agree gave nee some people to talk to and I also have an appointment to speak with Veterans Affairs. This really sucks, I feel like the school has committed fraud. Offering a program without the ability to complete it is really loving lovely. It puts me in a terrible spot where I don't know what to do.

Adversary
Jun 9, 2007
Not sick, but not well
I'm not sure how things are in the States, but over here in Europe, studios are still crying out for talented designers, especially if you're able to code / have a good head for web design (not absolutely necessary, but you'll need to bringing something other than pure visual design to the table). Wages are good too, especially with the current tech boom. Designers that kick rear end at web/product design (with a bit of Front End Development) can command hefty wages in the startup/tech industry.

The key word though, is talented (aka having worked your rear end off. Talent is overrated, hard work is gold). The market is, indeed, flooded with designers (or more accurately, graduates with design degrees) — but good ones who can consistently produce well-made, innovative, intelligent work to often-tight deadlines, while getting on well clients are (surprise, surprise) in high demand. Good design has never been so widely discussed in the media, or publicly considered so important to industry, culture and communication as it has been today. Yes, more designers are entering the market, but the demand for good ones is high. It's a competitive loving industry, but it's the best job in the world, in my opinion.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PrivRyan posted:

What do you guys think?

One of the biggest mistakes I've made is taking out a lot of student loans. I had to pay my way through undergrad and grad school completely and did it mostly on student loans (with some scholarships and grants). I'm not saying they're a bad thing, but I'd absolutely be very very very careful about the amount you borrow. It's something that can be very detrimental for a very long time after school ends.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

That's something I've always been against. I don't want to owe anyone after school until I go to some uni. For now, I want to pay off my own school tuition with money out of my pocket. It's hard, especially since I don't have a lot of money at times, and I'm definitely sure I'm going to be out of community college way after everybody else at the pace I'm going. Losing my job recently pushed me to just go for student loans since I'm not eligible for any grants of any kind.

TheDart
Jan 7, 2010

dog nougat posted:

So I've spoken with one of my teachers and agree gave nee some people to talk to and I also have an appointment to speak with Veterans Affairs. This really sucks, I feel like the school has committed fraud. Offering a program without the ability to complete it is really loving lovely. It puts me in a terrible spot where I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry you're in such a lovely situation, dog. That blows. D:

I've been considering SJSU for an animation/storyboarding degree because of a pair of acquaintances who studied animation there; both had jobs waiting for them at Pixar before they even graduated due to the quality of the education and the work they had put into making their own portfolios kick rear end.

This was a year or two ago, though, so I don't know if the program is still as good, but I do know that almost all of the art majors I know from the school I'm attending right now are praying they can get into SJSU to finish their degrees.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

TheDart posted:

I'm sorry you're in such a lovely situation, dog. That blows. D:

I've been considering SJSU for an animation/storyboarding degree because of a pair of acquaintances who studied animation there; both had jobs waiting for them at Pixar before they even graduated due to the quality of the education and the work they had put into making their own portfolios kick rear end.

This was a year or two ago, though, so I don't know if the program is still as good, but I do know that almost all of the art majors I know from the school I'm attending right now are praying they can get into SJSU to finish their degrees.

SJSU is still world class. However, it's going to be hard to get in unless you're from Santa Clara county, have a 3.85 GPA, and a kickass portfolio of studies from life. But go for it!

Machine Gun fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 19, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I've gotten some of my school stuff sorted out and am meeting with a faculty member tomorrow to discuss class options for me. SJSU is still really appealing but I'm not wild about A) moving to San Jose. B) Debt. I already have a good bit of student loan debt from when I attended PSU for the Drawing and Painting BFA program (I dropped out).

I'd love to attend the school, but I'm just not sure it's feasible. Tuition is relatively reasonable, and San Jose isn't as nutso expensive as SF. I guess it can't hurt to apply to the school, CCSF has its accreditation under review currently and might lose it come June, if that happens I need to have some other options. SFSU is an option, but I'm not sure how good their animation department is. I suppose a visit is in order for both schools.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
Are you in SF? What about Skyline? Probably the one of the best CCs in the area.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Does anybody here have any familiarity with University if Southen California's animation department? I'm taking a shot at getting into their MFA and I was wondering whether it was worth the trouble to be able to study and live in LA compared to cheaper parts of the US, take note, tuition is not an issue.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Does anyone here go to Stanford's D. School?

I'm a fashion designer--I have a BFA from Pratt. I've also potentially been wasting my time earning a bachelor's in international trade/business at FIT. I have a love/hate relationship with my industry, but I've been really discontent by the lack of innovation in the industry as a whole, and I'm not really sure if I want to keep climbing up the career ladder that I'm currently on since I really don't believe in the companies that I have worked for.

I'd love to chat with someone who has been in a similar situation as me. I'm trying to decide if it's a better use of my time to get a master's in business, or if I should get a master's in design. Stanford's program really resonates with me, and I can see myself pursuing a career path that is geared toward R&D. Or business development. Ideally both. But I'm kind of at a crossroads right now and any advice would be appreciated.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

I live in the UK. This year I'm graduating with a joint honors degree in English Lit and Film. Now What Do I Do?

My goal is to work in either writing / video editing, I feel like I could do either just fine. Should I apply specifically for one sort of work straight away? Should I be a runner and work my way up? Should I just go into Freelance? Should I move to America, Canada or one of the more commercial parts of Britain? Everyone probably panics around the same time I am now, but it would be nice to have a little guidance. Thanks in advance, artgoons :unsmith:

On the video editing side it really depends on what you already have or know

If you know how to edit, have a reel of your own good work and you're ready to hustle, move to London and start canvassing video production agencies and post houses for entry level work.

If you know how to edit but don't have any work to show for it beyond a uni assignment or two (shame on you for wasting the free time of uni not working on your own stuff) you'll probably want to find a slightly lower barrier for entry -whether it's working in video encoding and web streaming, working for a smaller production outfit and doing corporate work, or even working for a production hire place that could lead you into an edit role. Or just get another job and work on your reel for a while until it looks poo poo hot, then proceed to option number one

If you don't know how to edit, do a short course, proceed to option number two.

My experience of working in video production in London and not elsewhere in the country presents a clear bias, but for as many work opportunities as possible in production you really need to get in to the capital.

I don't know about writing, but it generally seems difficult.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

DaveP posted:

On the video editing side it really depends on what you already have or know

If you know how to edit, have a reel of your own good work and you're ready to hustle, move to London and start canvassing video production agencies and post houses for entry level work.

If you know how to edit but don't have any work to show for it beyond a uni assignment or two (shame on you for wasting the free time of uni not working on your own stuff) you'll probably want to find a slightly lower barrier for entry -whether it's working in video encoding and web streaming, working for a smaller production outfit and doing corporate work, or even working for a production hire place that could lead you into an edit role. Or just get another job and work on your reel for a while until it looks poo poo hot, then proceed to option number one

If you don't know how to edit, do a short course, proceed to option number two.

My experience of working in video production in London and not elsewhere in the country presents a clear bias, but for as many work opportunities as possible in production you really need to get in to the capital.

I don't know about writing, but it generally seems difficult.

This is awesome advice. Thanks, DaveP. I'll put together a reel of my stuff post-haste.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We have two openings for copywriter at the moment:

A junior level position - http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/10074427?trk=job_nov

A senior level/associate art director position - http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/10073577?trk=job_view_similar_jobs

Contact email is in the listings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

Does anyone in here have any experience with a Computer Engineering degree?

I'd like to know first hand what I'm getting into.