Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Marquise Lee owns really really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I would also take Lee, Evans, and Matthews over Watkins but I thought I was in the smallest minority. Sammy got that speed.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you're watching MACtion tonight, Buffalo LB Khalil Mack is considered a first-round prospect.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Alouicious posted:

You still used the words "fraud" and "exposed" unironically when referring to college football so I'm pretty sure you're a massive tool

Oh really, I'm a massive tool because you disagree with my opinion and I used the "wrong" words. Got it.

All I'm saying is Jordan Lynch plays a bunch of nobodies. He had one chance against a legit team and failed despite talking all kinds of poo poo leading up to that game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Oh really, I'm a massive tool because you disagree with my opinion and I used the "wrong" words. Got it.

All I'm saying is Jordan Lynch plays a bunch of nobodies. He had one chance against a legit team and failed despite talking all kinds of poo poo leading up to that game.

Please just stop.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Was he supposed to bow down to the florida state gods for allowing him to be on the same field? You're really angry about the quarterback from Northern Illinois, who owns, talking a little trash. Just think about it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

buddhanc posted:

Was he supposed to bow down to the florida state gods for allowing him to be on the same field? You're really angry about the quarterback from Northern Illinois, who owns, talking a little trash. Just think about it.

Not at all. I'm really not angry. I just don't get the hype. No one has still explained that to me. Sure he has great numbers but he has no place in the NFL Draft thread.

But whatever, I've clearly derailed this thread enough. Carry on.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Let me tell you all why Chuckie Keeton is going to light the NFL on fire in 2 years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Alouicious posted:

Let me tell you all why Chuckie Keeton is going to light the NFL on fire in 2 years.

Because he gets bullied and so goes full Columbine, literally lighting the NFL offices and stadiums on fire.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Roasted Donut posted:

clowney or marquise lee or top OT available hopefully

I think they take Matthews if they have a high enough pick but he probably won't be around past five. I'd love the Lee pick tho

Ben to Lee/Antonio all day would own

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It begins.

Rotoworld posted:

One GM told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport he believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will be the No. 1 pick in May's draft.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Oh please let it be for the Vikings

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
The Vikings probably won't be picking first.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gendo posted:

The Vikings probably won't be picking first.

I can hope

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Jaguars are almost certainly picking first you goofs.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles is going to enter the draft. He's got seven sacks (leads the team) and 11 TFLs, which are some stellar numbers for an interior lineman. I don't expect him to go particularly high, but the consensus seems to be somewhere in the first three or four rounds.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Crazy Ted posted:

The Jaguars are almost certainly picking first you goofs.

I'm entertained every time a middle of the pack team loses someone and the representative posters from that team start speculating about what they'll do with the first overall pick of the draft. It's kind of offensive to those of us with teams that have been terrible since week 1.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

I'm entertained every time a middle of the pack team loses someone and the representative posters from that team start speculating about what they'll do with the first overall pick of the draft. It's kind of offensive to those of us with teams that have been terrible since week 1.

Word. This poo poo is between the Jags and the Bucs but almost certainly going to the Jags. It is a touch aggravating as a Bucs fan this year to know we won't get the first pick even though we're terrible.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Word. This poo poo is between the Jags and the Bucs but almost certainly going to the Jags. It is a touch aggravating as a Bucs fan this year to know we won't get the first pick even though we're terrible.

I expect the Buccs won't fire Schaino until the offseason, and if they keep him they have a real shot of upsetting Jax.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If Mariota destroys Stanford I could see that being the start of a slow roll to #1 overall, with Bridgewater dropping due to poor competition.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Eifert Posting posted:

I expect the Buccs won't fire Schaino until the offseason, and if they keep him they have a real shot of upsetting Jax.

Buccs are a much better team that Jax. They won't fire Schiano, get the #2, and next year get the #1 then hand off a team with two pro bowler draft picks, a top flight O Line, Vincent Jackson, a great D Line and Revis to some coach to win the Superbowl.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

bhsman posted:

If Mariota destroys Stanford I could see that being the start of a slow roll to #1 overall, with Bridgewater dropping due to poor competition.

eh, its more the fact that Mariota is likely to blow away Bridgewater at the combine. I think it'll ultimately come down to the coaching staff Tampa/Jacksonville has come April and if they want to implement a read option offense

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Emanuel Collective posted:

eh, its more the fact that Mariota is likely to blow away Bridgewater at the combine. I think it'll ultimately come down to the coaching staff Tampa/Jacksonville has come April and if they want to implement a read option offense

I think the coaching staff will be the deciding factor as you said. You get an oldschool guy who wants traditional bullshit they're not going for Mariota. I wouldn't expect anyway. If Greg Roman was lured away from the 49ers I could see him taking Mariota and getting a hard on while doing so.

I don't think Tampa would be ready to dump Glennon just yet, he's flashed a fair bit of potential.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

BlindSite posted:

I don't think Tampa would be ready to dump Glennon just yet, he's flashed a fair bit of potential.

Yeeeessss, Bridgewater, fall to the Vikings at 3.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Buccs are a much better team that Jax. They won't fire Schiano, get the #2, and next year get the #1 then hand off a team with two pro bowler draft picks, a top flight O Line, Vincent Jackson, a great D Line and Revis to some coach to win the Superbowl.

John Gruden comedy option.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

John Gruden comedy option.

It's evidence to just how bad Schiano is that I'm totally okay with this.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Vikings are definitely not getting the top pick now.

Also, :lol: Mariotta.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
mariota licks taints

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Emanuel Collective posted:

eh, its more the fact that Mariota is likely to blow away Bridgewater at the combine.

Gonna have to be this now I guess. But yeah I'd think a large part beyond that will be how whoever gets the #1 pick values mobility.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Benne posted:

If you're watching MACtion tonight, Buffalo LB Khalil Mack is considered a first-round prospect.

And passes the Good Football Name test with flying colors.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Two things I hope:

Dorial Green-Beckham declares for the draft next year.

The 49ers draft him.

vvvv Imagine this is the world's biggest sad face: :( vvvv

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 9, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

Two things I hope:

Dorial Green-Beckham declares for the draft next year.

The 49ers draft him.

If you're watching today he's just been insane. He can't declare until after next year though, he's a true sophomore.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

As always we are left guessing as to Manziel's future. There are some red flags but as the game has evolved the scouting hasn't caught up so we're never really going to know if red flags are going to turn into anything substantial.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
We know he's an rear end in a top hat.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gendo posted:

We know he's an rear end in a top hat.

He's leaving TAMU as fast as he's allowed to, Gendo. :colbert:

Butthead
May 31, 2011
I think he goes to a Midwestern team picking in the 3-7 range.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

acmpsu21 posted:

I think he goes to a Midwestern team picking in the 3-7 range.

St. Louis? I...guess that could be a possibility.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Declan MacManus posted:

As always we are left guessing as to Manziel's future. There are some red flags but as the game has evolved the scouting hasn't caught up so we're never really going to know if red flags are going to turn into anything substantial.

You think so? It seems like less of a crapshoot than it was 30 years ago, though it's something inherently unpredictable due to the age of the young men going though the draft. Ted Thompson had a pretty good take on that (below). Seems like things like rivals and the breaking color barriers in the NFL has had a big impact.

Ted Thompson posted:

Q. Some guys become GMs and lean more toward administrative stuff, don't watch as much film, delegate. What is it about the scouting side do you like enough to keep doing it?

A. I think it's the thrill of the chase – to be able to find a guy. We belong to combines and we get the list of names and we have pre-ratings. Now, we rate them the way we would select them and rate them. But I think it's like in some of those old baseball movies, where you're some baseball scout on the road and you find this guy that nobody ever has known about. That doesn't happen anymore. But you're always looking for that guy. You want to be that person – 'Yeah, that Ted Thompson, he found that guy.'

Q. Occasionally, there might be a Division II guy or something …

A. Sure, yeah. But there's very few secrets in scouting. The teams are too good at it and the scouts on those teams are too good at it.

Q. How much has that changed through time?

A. I'm relatively new at it, being that I started doing this in 1992. I don't go back to the days where they carried their own projectors on the road. But there was a time when I came out of college – 1975 – where two guys from Jackson State University were drafted number (four and six), Walter Payton and Robert Brazile. That would never happen today. All those players are somewhere else. Elvin Bethea, who I played with (on the Houston Oilers in the 1970s and '80s) and went into the Hall of Fame, was from North Carolina AT&T. I think in those days, when you had those predominantly black college players, there was more of that 'let's go find them, let's go dig 'em up.' Now, it's a little bit more corporate. But you still have to make decisions on do you like them or not.

Q. Isn't part of that the college scouting process evolving? Alabama can afford to scout the whole country and get those guys who might have ended up elsewhere 30 or 40 years ago.

A. I think so, yeah. The same pressures that are on us to find players and things like that are on colleges. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

superaielman posted:

You think so? It seems like less of a crapshoot than it was 30 years ago, though it's something inherently unpredictable due to the age of the young men going though the draft. Ted Thompson had a pretty good take on that (below). Seems like things like rivals and the breaking color barriers in the NFL has had a big impact.

A study came out earlier this year that essentially held that while there are teams that do the draft better, these teams are just better gamblers than others. The flaw in the study is that it looks to "surplus value" to judge the value of draft picks, which while certainly relevant, isn't the end all-be all. Still well worth a read.

http://deadspin.com/study-nfl-teams-have-no-idea-what-theyre-doing-in-the-1378701238

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze
It's looking like the Bucs will be leading for at least one day in the race for the first pick :dance:

• Locked thread