Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

CancerStick posted:

No. I've seen it before. I was in my car sitting in the car waiting for my girlfriend to get off work. It was hooked up to the car via Bluetooth is why I wondered if it was Bluetooth.

I do have a PS3 but it hasn't been turned on in probably a year.

e: in the parking lot not car but anyway it is showing the same symbol on the screen when connected to my Bluetooth speaker at home too

It's most likely YouTube's "unique" broadcast to anything symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

YouTube is changing their comments section (again) so that it filters comments from content creators and people you know. It also gives better reporting capabilities among other things.

However, the Android and iOS apps will also be updated to use this new comment section as well as:

quote:

YouTube apps for Android and iOS don't yet support all the features of the new comment system. We're working on updating the apps so that you can enjoy these features in your mobile app as well. Features that don't yet work include:

• Edit or delete
  • Like / dislike
  • Sort by most recent comments
  • Report spam or abuse
  • Disable replies or reshares
  • "Via Google+" label
  • [When signed into a G+ page on Android] Sharing to specific people and circles

In the meantime, you can sign in to the YouTube mobile website from your device's browser to use these features.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/171666?hl=en

Looks like the YouTube app will get a big update soon.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

CancerStick posted:

No. I've seen it before. I was in my car sitting in the car waiting for my girlfriend to get off work. It was hooked up to the car via Bluetooth is why I wondered if it was Bluetooth.

I do have a PS3 but it hasn't been turned on in probably a year.

e: in the parking lot not car but anyway it is showing the same symbol on the screen when connected to my Bluetooth speaker at home too

Yeah I've actually had this issue too, I thought it was due to me tethering, but guess it is bluetooth as I always use my bluetooth headset when I'm out and about. The bug makes Youtube basically worthless, since it's not just the symbol but a whole screen dimming filter too.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I've actually had this issue too, I thought it was due to me tethering, but guess it is bluetooth as I always use my bluetooth headset when I'm out and about. The bug makes Youtube basically worthless, since it's not just the symbol but a whole screen dimming filter too.

I can confirm this happens to me sometimes when connected to my Bluetooth speaker. It definitely shouldn't happen - it should only appear if you've actually hit the 'stream to screen' button (or whatever it's called) bit I'd say 10% of the time it breaks like this for me too. Usually force-killing YouTube fixes it. You could try clearing data / updates then re-updating if that doesn't work.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I really like the idea and aesthetic of the live background they include on HTC phones that shows the weather.

The execution, however, is lacking. It's supposed to be animated and looks very nice for that, but the animation stops after fifteen seconds and never starts when you go to the home screen from an app instead of the lock screen. It also suffers from the same syncing problems that the HTC One weather widgets do.

Is there a good alternative? Also, a way to show the temperature in the notification bar would be great, too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eikre posted:

I really like the idea and aesthetic of the live background they include on HTC phones that shows the weather.

The execution, however, is lacking. It's supposed to be animated and looks very nice for that, but the animation stops after fifteen seconds and never starts when you go to the home screen from an app instead of the lock screen. It also suffers from the same syncing problems that the HTC One weather widgets do.

Is there a good alternative? Also, a way to show the temperature in the notification bar would be great, too.
Beautiful Widgets

I love the Live Weather Wallpaper which I believe is only included in the paid version. I just looked at the Live Weather Wallpaper in the Play Store and the screenshots are super old. It looks much better now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody have a recommendation for an online radio streaming player? I am trying to listen to this stream: http://wknc.org/listen/

Thanks.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Phone posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for an online radio streaming player? I am trying to listen to this stream: http://wknc.org/listen/

Thanks.
It looks like you can stream WKNC on TuneIn Radio.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone been approved for Google Opinion Rewards yet? I've been waiting since yesterday and I don't know if I've been rejected or not.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Eikre posted:

I really like the one that came on my galaxy s3, but that's probably only on Samsung phones. The beautiful widgets live wallpaper is serviceable but ugly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

datajosh posted:

It looks like you can stream WKNC on TuneIn Radio.

Hurrrrr and they also have their own app. I was thrown off by the iPhone app thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wait, so...the N5 comes with two gallery apps. The G+ one and the old one. They put the new awesome editor in the old one, but the new one doesn't have it.

What the christ, google.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

What the christ, google.

You were expecting something intuitive? Silly you.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Thermopyle posted:

Wait, so...the N5 comes with two gallery apps. The G+ one and the old one. They put the new awesome editor in the old one, but the new one doesn't have it.

What the christ, google.

It isn't that odd if you think about it. One is the gallery app (with awesome editor) which everyone can use. The other is a G+ photo app that only people on G+ can use.

It is a legacy thing. They just want to provide a good experience to everyone regardless of whether you use G+ or not.

EDIT: Article explains better: http://www.androidcentral.com/gallery-and-photos-why-does-nexus-5-have-two-ways-handle-images

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 7, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eviljimmy posted:

It isn't that odd if you think about it. One is the gallery app (with awesome editor) which everyone can use. The other is a G+ photo app that only people on G+ can use.

It is a legacy thing. They just want to provide a good experience to everyone regardless of whether you use G+ or not.

EDIT: Article explains better: http://www.androidcentral.com/gallery-and-photos-why-does-nexus-5-have-two-ways-handle-images

Yeah, and no one except phone nerds are going to get that. Just because there is a reason doesn't mean it's not dumb.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, and no one except phone nerds are going to get that.

No one except phone nerds (in a phone thread) will complain about it either.

EDIT: you ninja edited. Yeah it could be handled a little better but the reasoning and execution is mostly sound.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eviljimmy posted:

No, because normal people don't know that things could be better. They'll just have this generally confused feeling when one day they open an app to look at their photos, then the next time they open an app to look at their photos and its completely different looking. And hey, where's that thing editor thing I used to draw dicks on my brothers face? Hmm, oh well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Hiding the Gallery icon would make more sense, since it's just part of Camera anyway. You go to Camera to take/edit pictures and to Photos to view/share them. Still not perfect, but less confusing.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

No, because normal people don't know that things could be better. They'll just have this generally confused feeling when one day they open an app to look at their photos, then the next time they open an app to look at their photos and its completely different looking. And hey, where's that thing editor thing I used to draw dicks on my brothers face? Hmm, oh well.

I think you have to be a certain level of phone nerd to buy the N5 in the first place. Normal people have an S4, an iPhone or sometimes an HTC one. The thing has been picked up by 1 network in the UK and the Network shop doesn't even mention it and you have to go to Carphone Warehouse (a third party place) to get it AND EVEN THEN each store has like 4 devices to sell.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eviljimmy posted:

I think you have to be a certain level of phone nerd to buy the N5 in the first place.

Right, which makes it worse because...

eviljimmy posted:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Phone nerds complain about EVERYTHING.

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 7, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Is there a way to make Tasker perform a task when removed from a wireless charger?

I tried Power -> Charging -> Wireless -> Invert, but that applies the profile whenever it's not charging wirelessly. I just want a one time "I'm no longer charging wirelessly, use this profile"

Basically, when it's on the wireless charging dock at my desk at work, I want the volume turned on. When I remove it from the charging dock, it should be switched to silent mode. This way, whenever I'm running around the office doing tech stuff, I don't have to remember to silence my phone. Then, when I return to my car and it connects to bluetooth, it should turn the volume back on.

So far all of that works exactly like I expect it, but then as soon as bluetooth disconnects from my car, it's returning to the "No longer charging wirelessly" profile.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

Is there a way to make Tasker perform a task when removed from a wireless charger?

I tried Power -> Charging -> Wireless -> Invert, but that applies the profile whenever it's not charging wirelessly. I just want a one time "I'm no longer charging wirelessly, use this profile"
Do what you did but without the Invert and then put Silent Mode on the Exit action (after you add the action, long press it and choose Move To Exit).

Edit:
V V V That is true, and difficult to work around.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 7, 2013

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

e;fb. Well anyway, take a look at some of the other entries in their forum if you want. The charging profile might switch off when the battery hits 100% until it goes down enough to start charging again. If that happens you might want to look into having setting it on the charger change to one profile and then have a second profile to check for the orientation of the device changing (to detect that you picked it up). The thread I linked to is actually for a more complicated problem someone had but it might help you out.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tasker/wireless$20charger
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tasker/HDtivvU3O5A/ZiN3Xd6dFbYJ

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 7, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sorry, can't post links at the moment, but the Google Keyboard and Hangouts 2.0 (with SMS and MMS support) are now rolling out through the Play Store.

Both versions are updated from the Nexus 5 so you will want to update.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

drat. I didn't realize charging worked that way. That's frustrating. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's still that way with KitKat, and rethink I'm doing this later.

Enter/Exit commands seem to be my solution for the main problem. I didn't realize when a profile was no longer active, it reverted itself. For Bluetooth and my home WiFi I just programmed it to have enter and exit both be to unsilence the phone. Worst case I can still use an NFC tag or manual profile click to silence as I leave my office.

Edit: the wireless charger got my phone to 100%, and half an hour later it still reports as charging wirelessly. It seems that whatever was causing the phone to stop charging until it dropped to 95% has been resolved on the Nexus 5. With Exit commands, everything works like I expect!

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 7, 2013

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
My parents are getting their first tablet/android device. Looking for suggestions on an app that might let me remote view their device and help them out if (read: when) they get stuck. I just tried out teamviewer but it didn't let me see the screen.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

poxin posted:

My parents are getting their first tablet/android device. Looking for suggestions on an app that might let me remote view their device and help them out if (read: when) they get stuck. I just tried out teamviewer but it didn't let me see the screen.
Not surprisingly there's way more apps for controlling something else with the Android than the other way around. You could try this one, it specifically mentions a remote view:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MarcelloAlbano.LazyDroidServer&hl=en
Note that you'll have to root the thing before you hand it over (but I think you'd have to do that for anything to remote view).

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

poxin posted:

You could try AirDroid. It's not ideal, but you can get a screenshot of the device at the click of a button, which lets you see what your parents see if only briefly. I don't think it lets you have full remote control of the device though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am confused about the new SMS integration in hangouts. It seems to work OK from my phone, but I still get SMS coming into google voice and not hangouts.

Is there any way to SMS from the google chrome hangouts app?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kri kri posted:

Is there any way to SMS from the google chrome hangouts app?

No. SMS in Hangouts is still a local service.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No. SMS in Hangouts is still a local service.

This sucks, since I like to use google voice in my browser. Have they said if they are going to add this?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kri kri posted:

This sucks, since I like to use google voice in my browser. Have they said if they are going to add this?

The Voice team has gone on record to say that Voice integration into Hangouts is a 100% thing. No timeline though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The Voice team has gone on record to say that Voice integration into Hangouts is a 100% thing. No timeline though.
What about MMS in Voice?

e: Oh hey
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/07/t-mobile-enables-mms-for-google-voice-users/

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 7, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

quote:

Similar to MMS messages from Sprint users, these messages will appear in Gmail, and you can be notified of the message via SMS.

:suicide:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah I remember that from way back, ugh. Thanks though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Oh yes that's incredibly irritating, but still less irritating than not getting them at all!

kri kri posted:

Yeah I remember that from way back, ugh. Thanks though.
Since they have May 15 as a target date for breaking other poo poo that uses Voice, I'd hope they get it before then.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I keep trying to use SwiftKey, but I can't.

One thing Google and Kii do, is let me use the delete key to reverse an auto correct. SwiftKey has nothing like that. Reversing corrections proves too annoying.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just noticed that, on my Nexus 4, Messages still come to the AOSP Messaging app and, if you delete them from there, they seem to be deleted from Hangouts too.

...Is it supposed to be this way?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Supposed to be "early 2014".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Looks like no quick-reply for sms if you're using hangouts.

• Locked thread