Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The data file allowed Shepard to open the arms so the fleet could engage Sovereign. If the protheans could lock the Reapers out of the Citadel for the rest of time with a data file the scientists would probably have used it 50k years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The Reapers not taking the Citadel isn't an overwhelming plot hole. They think the plans for the Crucible were stopped cycles ago, and they don't seem to think in terms of tactics beyond "go find Highly Populated World and reap." The Citadel has a few million citizens, but the worlds the Reapers are focusing on (homeworlds) have billions.

In addition, it makes sense to leave it as last- so long as it exists refugees will pour in there. Otherwise they'll scatter and be harder to track down.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Reapers not taking the Citadel isn't an overwhelming plot hole. They think the plans for the Crucible were stopped cycles ago, and they don't seem to think in terms of tactics beyond "go find Highly Populated World and reap."

Which doesn't make much sense since Reapers are supposed to be a level of intelligence above anything in the galaxy.

Of course then we find out that these hyper intelligent godlike machines are controlled by a boring ai with a singular purpose. Reapers are built up to almost mythical levels in the first two games and then we find out they're literally no better than vi programs as they have no real free will. Starchild was a moronic decision on many levels and that's one of the biggest.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Reapers can't even get a decent build order going. They're idiots.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is everybody still complaining about how dumb the story was?

I think it's time to let go. Just install that dumb Happy Endings mod and there is no Starchild, just Reaper death.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vigilance posted:

Which doesn't make much sense since Reapers are supposed to be a level of intelligence above anything in the galaxy.

Counterpoint to this, but what do the Reapers need with the Citadel in ME3? The Citadel provides three functions to the Reapers:
1) enable a quick entrypoint into the galaxy
2) ability to cut off the head of galactic government
3) ability to shut off the relay network to isolate planets for easy harvesting

1) is no longer needed. 2) doesn't even matter since this cycle doesn't have a united government as previous cycles apparently did, and much of the galaxy isn't even under the jurisdiction of the Council anyway (including the Terminus Systems and the Attican Traverse to a lesser extent.) Instead the Reapers are going after the homeworlds of the worlds of the four main Council species. 3) is the one thing that the Reapers should have wanted to do, but their cockiness is right in character, looking at how Sovereign and Harbinger behaved.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Reapers not taking the Citadel isn't an overwhelming plot hole. They think the plans for the Crucible were stopped cycles ago, and they don't seem to think in terms of tactics beyond "go find Highly Populated World and reap."

I was going to argue against this as the whole plot of ME1 is to stop the Reaper's extremely classy 'encourage centralised government -> cripple galactic civilisation in one overwhelming assault' scheme, but ME3 proved that it only took them a couple extra years to paddle to the edge of the galaxy and overwhelm everything anyway even when they're 2000 years behind schedule and their reapees have access to reverse engineered reaper weapons.

Reapers are dumb.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Mass Effect 3 makes perfect sense when you realise it's only a sequel to Mass Effect 2 and acts as if much of the first Mass Effect never happened.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The data file allowed Shepard to open the arms so the fleet could engage Sovereign. If the protheans could lock the Reapers out of the Citadel for the rest of time with a data file the scientists would probably have used it 50k years ago.

No, it definitely locked out the citadel relay, and controlled the wider network. That's why Shepard gets to call in the human fleet. Sovereign and zombie Saren were trying to get control back manually when you kill their asses.

The whole point is that the protheans didn't use their hack 50k years ago. By the time they had their backdoor onto the Citadel they'd already lost. The best they could hope for was to sabotage the Reapers' control of the station and leave the data for the next cycle hoping they could finish the job.

Hell, it would be a pretty good scene for us loyalists for the council to turn round and say 'that's what we've been doing for the last two years,' and start turning the Reapers' own relay network against them.

sassassin posted:

I was going to argue against this as the whole plot of ME1 is to stop the Reaper's extremely classy 'encourage centralised government -> cripple galactic civilisation in one overwhelming assault' scheme, but ME3 proved that it only took them a couple extra years to paddle to the edge of the galaxy and overwhelm everything anyway even when they're 2000 years behind schedule and their reapees have access to reverse engineered reaper weapons.

Reapers are dumb.

I thought the idea was that the Arrival DLC relay had been pulling them closer and closer the whole time. So when you destroy it, it's already done a lot of the work, but they're still stranded a few months out. Which is also dumb as hell and I can't remember if the game ever actually says it.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 6, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Reapers basically waited all night for a taxi to take them to the front door of the pub when they could have walked there in 15 minutes.

Maybe some of them were wearing heels.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Strategic Tea posted:

The whole point is that the protheans didn't use their hack 50k years ago. By the time they had their backdoor onto the Citadel they'd already lost. The best they could hope for was to sabotage the Reapers' control of the station and leave the data for the next cycle hoping they could finish the job.
They had a hack which would prevent the Reapers from ever being able to control the Citadel again and chose not to use it? I mean I know the protheans were dicks, but...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

2house2fly posted:

They had a hack which would prevent the Reapers from ever being able to control the Citadel again and chose not to use it? I mean I know the protheans were dicks, but...
They did use their hack. I don't why he said that. The hack is what prevented Sovereign from being able to remotely use the Keepers. The data file just let you automatically regain control of the station and network from Sovereign because you're not as computer-savvy as Saren. If mecha-Saren had killed you, he probably would have been able to simply hop back onto the console and undo it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 6, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Milky Moor posted:

Mass Effect 3 makes perfect sense when you realise it's only a sequel to Mass Effect 2 and acts as if much of the first Mass Effect never happened.

This is very true. The problem is that ME is where nearly all the lore comes from. It's also the best game story-wise. And was written by an actual writer so is lot more cohesive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

This is very true. The problem is that ME is where nearly all the lore comes from. It's also the best game story-wise. And was written by an actual writer so is lot more cohesive.

I thought the story of Me2 was solid enough. It's 3 where it all falls apart at the seams.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah as much as I prefer the gameplay of the latter 2 games I think the first one has the best atmosphere and story. I wish we went back to extinct civilizations cities/planets like in Ilos and Feros.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mustang posted:

Yeah as much as I prefer the gameplay of the latter 2 games I think the first one has the best atmosphere and story. I wish we went back to extinct civilizations cities/planets like in Ilos and Feros.

Problem is that the game would get pretty stale and players would complain that nothing happens.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I've wondered if the Terminus systems would have been more interesting if they had used the original concept of it being made up of all the races that didn't want to be a part of the Citadel Council, instead of just being the home of mercenaries and pirates. But I guess that was a money-saver.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

I hate lore.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I hate lore.

The lore in ME1 was fantastic and it's a shame the games couldn't really live up to the universe built in that game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DrNutt posted:

The lore in ME1 was fantastic and it's a shame the games couldn't really live up to the universe built in that game.

The games after ME1 (well, ME2, mainly), were really good, and frankly, I'd rather they focus on telling good stories on their own terms, rather than telling stories that fit with the more boring bits of ME1's canon, or whatever.

That road is the way to Wookiepedianism, and nobody likes that.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
I had a huge problem with ME1, frankly the whole game felt like a giant prologue. Like that first planet from KOTOR (Telos?) except stretched over several hours with godawful vehicle sections intersperced throughout.

ME2 on the other hand, was a blast from start to finish. If ME1 had better lore, then ME2 had better character/storyline writing.

ME3 was... Extremely uneven.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The games after ME1 (well, ME2, mainly), were really good, and frankly, I'd rather they focus on telling good stories on their own terms, rather than telling stories that fit with the more boring bits of ME1's canon, or whatever.

That road is the way to Wookiepedianism, and nobody likes that.

Their gameplay was leaps and bounds beyond ME1 but their stories were a hell of a lot weaker, with the exception of some cool rear end DLC like LotSB and Citadel. They set up this massive interesting game universe and then never really did anything other than shoot down corridors and run into the same three people over and over again in this supposedly vastly populated galaxy.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

PootieTang posted:

I had a huge problem with ME1, frankly the whole game felt like a giant prologue. Like that first planet from KOTOR (Telos?) except stretched over several hours with godawful vehicle sections intersperced throughout.

The Mako is a blast. :colbert:

Especially when you can use SloMo 5 to race around at quintuple speed.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Zoran posted:

The Mako is a blast. :colbert:

Especially when you can use SloMo 5 to race around at quintuple speed.
This. If you're burnt out from ME1 on the 360 and you haven't played the PC version, give it shot the next time it's on sale. It usually dips down to $5.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Little ME4 tease:

https://twitter.com/YanickRRoy/status/398563131258978304/photo/1

Edit2:

VVVVVVVV
Edit: yeah, apparently the protagonist on the screen isn't human? hard to tell.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 7, 2013

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
And another (awful) picture

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/398555808856035328

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yanick Roy: "…with new characters to fall in love with…"

I know that's probably supposed to indicate they're going to be proper characters with depth or who are fun to interact with but it just reads in a way that makes you very, very sad. Or :shepface:

Arikado
May 9, 2008

I am way too excited about these minuscule teases.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

evilmiera posted:

Yanick Roy: "…with new characters to fall in love with…"

I know that's probably supposed to indicate they're going to be proper characters with depth or who are fun to interact with but it just reads in a way that makes you very, very sad. Or :shepface:

I do suppose that could mean it's not going to be strictly multiplayer only though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"New enemies to encounter"

https://twitter.com/Garymaphone/status/398570495919927296

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If you don't romance anyone in ME1, can you start a romance with Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013
I am excited about ME4 mainly because of the new team and especially Ian Frazier. Still love him for Lazarus.

Then again Kingdoms of Amalur. But there's enough wrong about its development and the other people that were involved in it to overlook it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Wait, ME4 is actually a real thing that is going to happen?

(Yes, I stopped paying attention to the series entirely after beating the last game)

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Voyager I posted:

Wait, ME4 is actually a real thing that is going to happen?

(Yes, I stopped paying attention to the series entirely after beating the last game)

Yes, in game universe game, not necessarily a sequel to ME/shepard's story.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Those tiny glimpses have left me feeling unreasonably excited and optimistic. I just want to go back to that universe again.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nope, not getting hyped.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Spikeguy posted:

If you don't romance anyone in ME1, can you start a romance with Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker?
No, but you get the opportunity in 3.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I haven't put a minutes thought into wondering what the next game is going to be about (as someone 100% fine with ME3 and where it went) but after seeing what Battlefield 4 did with the Frostbite 3 engine, I'm unreasonably eager to see how the Mass Effect world can look when done on that scale and with those effects as opposed to an old version of the Unreal engine being held together with tape and spit.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

What the gently caress kind of mongoloid grip is this

• Locked thread