Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

UnCO3 posted:

For XCOM you could also use 3:16, tone down the alien-killing numbers and let the players vote between missions on engineering/scientific advances that give them better weapons, vehicles and equipment over time.

This is really clever. I may have to use this idea sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Sagan posted:

Alright, you guys are so smart. I got one for you. Pokemon. What system do I run Pokemon in. :colbert:

( Please and thank you :unsmith: )

I am sure you knew that you'd get a huge range of responses for this. I am actually running a Pokemon game, with a group of Team rocket operatives.

I considered Fate and Gamma World, which have both been mentioned, and ended up going with a rules-modified Monsters and Other Childish Things. My second choice would have been Gamma World - I also think the "mix and match" character generation would have made it easy to make a lot of Pokemon.

I went with Monsters and Other Childish Things for these reasons:
- It's built around having a main character, with lesser stats and an extremely competent monster character
- Monster characters are built from a budget - you can buy specific abilities and qualities from your budget as you define the different monster body parts. This lets you build the specific Pokemon you want, and you can have somewhat tactical fights as a result.
- It's also (by default) focused around young protagonists (grade school to high school) so there's some rules for taking stat damage from put-downs and some mechanics for relationships

The caveats are:
- Monster generation is complex enough that, if you do it on the fly ("We want to fight that Scyther!") you may end up with a monster without a ton of neat abilities.
- It better models the show than the actual games - monsters are complex enough that I encouraged my players to have one each to start with, instead of 6.
- Monster combat is also somewhat complex; I've only had 1v1 fights in my game, and I'm not sure how well a 3v3 fight (remember, both monsters and trainers means 12 actual participants!) would work. Though this would be a problem in most systems.
- Some of the rules need a little tweaking to fit the lighter mood of a Pokemon game.
- To get those Type chart interactions, you'll have to sit down and do some homebrew rules as well.
- It is One Roll Engine, which can have some statistical weirdness to it.

Overall, it's been a fun game, but the players in my game tend not to read through the whole system - they tend to play in a Dungeon/Apocalypse World style "I want to do this, what should I roll?"

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Echophonic posted:

This is really clever. I may have to use this idea sometime.
You'd need to do a fair amount of work, though - 3:16's qualitative aspects are key to helping the players see its themes through. You'd need to turn the orders for each rank from gritty and antagonistic to more cooperative and cautiously optimistic, and you'd definitely need to change the Hatred for Home weakness to something more appropriate.

As a more in-depth research mechanic, PCs could gather research materials (like aliens, alien corpses, weapons, technologies and fuel) by making NFA rolls during/between missions, with each piece of material adding to a 'research score'. After the mission, the GM/X-COM Director would choose a subject for research, like 'sectoid biology' or 'heavy plasma weapons' and make a research roll against the current score. If it's equal or lower, the scientists and engineers make a breakthrough and the PCs gain something like better stuff (as I mentioned before), small bonuses or effects in specific situations (like +1 to FA when using certain tactics or fighting certain enemies) or more campaign-level stuff like making new objectives to turn the tide of the war. If it's higher, the research needs more time. If the roll succeeds you spend the score, but if it fails you keep it. If the score is 10 or higher you just spend 10 and auto-succeed. You can spend 10 again if you've still got 10 or more, or make a roll if you've got less, and keep doing that until the score is 0 or you fail a roll.

The benefits have to make sense given what the PCs bring in, which itself has to make sense considering their current enemies, the UFO(s) present and the constraints of the mission. At first, the GM would be making the decisions and handing out the benefits, but as the PCs rose in rank they'd get more and more voting power until they're the ones making the big decisions.

EDIT: you could also use the fighter pilot supplement for UFO interception and air/space battles.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 15, 2013

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dang, that is a huge range of suggestions. Definitely didn't expect Pathfinder.

I'm leaning towards FATE for the reasons already provided, but I'm happy to learn about Monsters and Other Childish Things. I have not heard of that game and it definitely has some beneficial elements I hadn't considered before. If nothing else, I may have to try it out for its own sake.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
If you and your players are already familiar with Fate, I can definitely see going that way. I wasn't, so MaoCT was a better fit. It's a great read (and game) on its own, though - it has a nice write-up in the Fatal and Friends thread if you'd like to know a little more without grabbing the book.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

UnCO3 posted:

Sounds like what you need is Pokethulhu.

I've owned this game for ages, but I've never actually tried to run it because I've never found a group willing to give "Pokemon mixed with the Cthulhu mythos" a chance. Does anyone actually have any experience of playing or running this game?

On a completely different note: what system would you use for running something in the vein of Adventure Time? I know there's a fan-made Adventure Time RPG, but my problem with it is that it's so heavily based on 4e that it basically necessitates a grid, and when I think of Adventure Time I don't imagine battles taking place in a square grid.

I could see it being run with 13th Age and Dungeon World with some refluffing, as well as World of Dungeons on account of its classes being so easily mutable, and FATE on account of it being just the sort of system where you could have "Magical shapechanging dog" fight alongside "Hyperactive human warrior kid" without any major disparity between them in terms of power, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Grid-based and heavily tactical combat is a no-no, as I want the combat to be abstract and quick to run.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ratpick posted:

I've owned this game for ages, but I've never actually tried to run it because I've never found a group willing to give "Pokemon mixed with the Cthulhu mythos" a chance. Does anyone actually have any experience of playing or running this game?

On a completely different note: what system would you use for running something in the vein of Adventure Time? I know there's a fan-made Adventure Time RPG, but my problem with it is that it's so heavily based on 4e that it basically necessitates a grid, and when I think of Adventure Time I don't imagine battles taking place in a square grid.

I could see it being run with 13th Age and Dungeon World with some refluffing, as well as World of Dungeons on account of its classes being so easily mutable, and FATE on account of it being just the sort of system where you could have "Magical shapechanging dog" fight alongside "Hyperactive human warrior kid" without any major disparity between them in terms of power, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Grid-based and heavily tactical combat is a no-no, as I want the combat to be abstract and quick to run.

RIFTS :colbert:

Please don't play RIFTS.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Ratpick posted:

Lasers and Feelings -> Swords and Feelings. You'd need to change all of the colour though - Styles, Roles, Character Goals, the story generation tables, the starting situation, what the ship is instead of a spaceship and its strengths and problem. It might be a bit too simple, but then again it does have a mechanic called LASER FEELINGS, or SWORD FEELINGS as the case may be.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ratpick posted:

It would depend on what sort of feel I was going for. If I wanted a sort of crunchy feel to the game without much in the way of actual crunch, I would use FATE, since its combats are pretty tightly designed. If I wanted a more free-form, narrative driven game I'd use Heroquest 2e, since it is basically "Use Character Gimmicks to Overcome Obstacles: The System."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ratpick posted:

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine would be excellent for it, if it were actually released yet.

Fate Accelerated Edition would be good and it's actually out.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Yeah, FAE seems like the way to go, since I have it and actually want to run it. Also, since it's not a very rigid system I can just tell my players "We're playing Adventure Time: The RPG" and see what they come up with instead of having to constrain their creativity with a bunch of pre-defined classes.

Not hating on classes, but the more I think about it the characters in Adventure Time are so varied that any rigid race/class framework wouldn't do justice to the style of the show.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I need a rules light Superhero system for running a game on the forum. Preferably something that focuses more on PC interaction with maybe some PvP.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

BrainParasite posted:

I need a rules light Superhero system for running a game on the forum. Preferably something that focuses more on PC interaction with maybe some PvP.

Marvel Heroic/Cortex Fantasy is the first thing that comes to mind. If you needed more character interaction, you could just borrow a bit from Cortex Drama that way, too.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
RULESET: Normal to CPA
SUPPORT: Established to Deep
CHARGEN: Quick to Days
SETTING: Universal to Established

I'd really like to run a game in the universe of Mass Effect, but both game systems I was considering using (Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase) were recommended to use only in their own universes. I was thinking Shadowrun would work, as Mass Effect is pretty much Shadowrun IN SPACE, but I'm not sure.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
What system should I use for:
Me and GM are running a ganger game in Shadowrun where the players are the leader of the gang where they makes decisions on a weekly basis. We want to incorporate organization/faction-sim system with stat and number crunching on our faction/gang with a list of upgrades to improve the gang for players to choose using some sort of point-buy system, which then translate the result into dice bonus or other in-game benefit for Shadowrun's rule.

RULESET: CPA or below.
SUPPORT: Deep or below
CHARGEN: Days or below (For making the gang's stat and upgrade list)
SETTING: Any, we will rip the rule apart to work in shadowrun

Edit:

Sample Idea: All the gang's profit are currently goes into the war chest, and we plan to convert the cash into points that the player can use it to purchase upgrade.

5 points to strengthen the wall of the local pub, 20 points to upgrade the minor gang member's weapon so they all get bonus dice for shooting, 100 points to add a turret to the HQ, etc.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 8, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TwoQuestions posted:

I'd really like to run a game in the universe of Mass Effect, but both game systems I was considering using (Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase) were recommended to use only in their own universes. I was thinking Shadowrun would work, as Mass Effect is pretty much Shadowrun IN SPACE, but I'm not sure.

Shadowrun is a terrible system (and I'm saying this as someone who likes Shadowrun). If you want something heavy, GURPS is probably your best bet for this, or some version of FATE if you want something lighter (Diaspora or Bulldogs could both work).

Nyaa posted:

What system should I use for:
Me and GM are running a ganger game in Shadowrun where the players are the leader of the gang where they makes decisions on a weekly basis. We want to incorporate organization/faction-sim system with stat and number crunching on our faction/gang with a list of upgrades to improve the gang for players to choose using some sort of point-buy system, which then translate the result into dice bonus or other in-game benefit for Shadowrun's rule.

RULESET: CPA or below.
SUPPORT: Deep or below
CHARGEN: Days or below (For making the gang's stat and upgrade list)
SETTING: Any, we will rip the rule apart to work in shadowrun

Edit:

Sample Idea: All the gang's profit are currently goes into the war chest, and we plan to convert the cash into points that the player can use it to purchase upgrade.

5 points to strengthen the wall of the local pub, 20 points to upgrade the minor gang member's weapon so they all get bonus dice for shooting, 100 points to add a turret to the HQ, etc.

Check out Reign's Company rules, they are really sweet.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TwoQuestions posted:

Traveler would be really good for this, if you want to deal with day to day SPACESHIP PROBLEMS. If you're playing as a Normandy-style government sponsored superteam, though, I'd go with something more character-action oriented, like FATE or GURPS.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

BrainParasite posted:

Marvel Heroic would be my go-to. But honestly, anything with light rules and wide granularity (Marvel Heroic's big weakness is that the Watcher needs to post after every PC action in combat). But I might go all the way to Smallville and have the PCs all with their own agendas - and still have some superpowers.

TwoQuestions posted:

This, to me, is feeling like a job for Fate Core if you're looking at an approximate superteam. GURPS if you want gritty little details - but I think Fate is probably best at capturing the feel of the games/universe.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Fate would be too rules light, I think. Traveller would be a pretty good fit, I think; the psionics system works rather well, as does the space combat.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Any recommendations for a game system that is D&D-like (or an actual version of D&D) where character creation is just ability scores, and maybe skills? Bonus points if it is freely distributed.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

P.d0t posted:

Any recommendations for a game system that is D&D-like (or an actual version of D&D) where character creation is just ability scores, and maybe skills? Bonus points if it is freely distributed.

As in, ability scores but no classes?

Kobolds ate my Baby.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Class-based, preferably. Just don't want feats and items and huge spell lists and that sort of bullshit.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Would World of Dungeons be too simplistic for what you're asking?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
There's always one of the many oD&D retro clones; 3d6 in order, elf and dwarf are both classes, every member of a given class is identical apart from ability spread and all that lot. There is a spell list, but it's not *that* massive. Swords and Wizardry would be a pretty good example.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a discussion with my group about any systems/settings/campaigns lend themselves to rotating GM gameplay, allowing us all to get a turn.

We currently have an episodic GURPS game that works well, and the next person takes over from where they left off, but we were hoping to branch out from a modern-day cop game to something more interesting.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

P.d0t posted:

Fate Freeport is this! It's basically D&D through a FATE lens.

crowtribe posted:

I'm having a discussion with my group about any systems/settings/campaigns lend themselves to rotating GM gameplay, allowing us all to get a turn.

We currently have an episodic GURPS game that works well, and the next person takes over from where they left off, but we were hoping to branch out from a modern-day cop game to something more interesting.

You should check out Ars Magica.

Piell fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 28, 2013

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Agreed. Ars Magica is really good for that style of play - everybody has multiple characters (a mage, a badass normal/lesser magical being and at least one normal guy), giving the players the option to choose which character makes most sense for the situation. Mages are terrible at dealing with other people - normal people can sense the "not quite right" nature of a mage, as can animals, which means you need normal people with you to deal with people. Also, it's set in historical Europe - you don't want to be drawing attention to yourselves, which means you need at least one person with you who's good with a sword. Sure, the character's aren't balanced in terms of power, but since you end up taking turns playing the different roles and since even the least powerful characters often have their own chance to shine, it doesn't matter that much.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

P.d0t posted:

How about Warrior, Rogue, & Mage? It's D&D-like, but it only uses three ability scores named after the typical class archetypes. It's been a while since I've read it, but it's free, and sounds like what you might like.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Any other systems/settings that can be played episodically?

I was thinking something like Atomic Highway, where the following GM takes over once the party reaches the next safe bartertown or 'stead.

We currently play GURPS in an 80's cops setting,in a city with landmarks named after characters, actors and location from action films from the decade (Getz Rent-A-Car, Foley Hills, Lo Pan Alley), which runs 2-3 sessions before the next person takes over, and then they run with any progress/additions you made in your session in regards to the world or city, or it's free form enough to just ignore some of them to do your own thing.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Pretty much any system, really; you don't have to have a long overarching plot in any of them. It's just the assumed style of play these days. Crimson Exodus and The Riddle of Steel are both pretty good for open world adventuring too - they both have mechanics designed around player driven campaigns.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have an idea for a campaign that's essentially Cloud Atlas by way of Live A Live. A number of short adventures, each set in one era of the world, from the stone age to the far future. For each adventure, players would make new characters from that era with some sort of connection to their former character(s), from descendants to reincarnations to just similar themes, and as the DM I'd introduce other connections. Things a character created in the stone age could show up in a museum in the contemporary age, a mysterious symbol the sword & sorcery age party once found might show up on a stone slab floating in space, that sort of thing.

I'd probably just use different systems for each era but my players aren't keen on the idea of learning new systems, so I'm looking for one where I can run everything. It would have to be easy to pick up, ideally have one basic, recognizable mechanic and be flexible enough to support settings from no technology over medieval fantasy to science fiction, either through subsystems (which would need to be equally easy to pick up) or just reflavouring of abilities.

Character creation should be quick and simple, and characters don't necessarily need to develop much mechanically. It's more important to be able to build one solid character that you can take through 2-3 sessions of play before the focus switches to the next era. I could imagine taking a system with character levels and treating each level as one era, with liberal refluffing of abilities appiled as needed.

All that and my players pretty much just know D&D, 13th Age, a bit of Shadowrun and their medieval fantasy homebrew system, which is their favourite but too fiddly for me to run. I'm screwed, right?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
FATE Core. Absolutely FATE Core, it's flexible enough to do whatever you need it to while giving you consistent mechanics the whole way.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SageNytell posted:

FATE Core. Absolutely FATE Core, it's flexible enough to do whatever you need it to while giving you consistent mechanics the whole way.

Seconded. Take a look at fate accelerated too. Dungeon World or better yet a collection of *World games would likely work well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've wanted to run a game of Microscope and use it as a jumping point for a bunch of one-shots for new systems (Torchbearer, FATE, Mutant City Blues, etc). It SOUNDS like a good idea, but I know in my heart that it's going to be a lot of work for little payoff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FATE Core looks like exactly what I want, thanks! Now to sell my group on it...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
RULESET: Crunchy or CPA
SUPPORT: DIY or User-Generated
CHARGEN: Involved, maybe Days
SETTING: Universal, maybe neutral

Okay, this sounds silly as all hell, but I want to run some kind of Gundam game for my cousin, since we were both giant Gundam nerds when we were younger.
Most of my game experience is Shadowrun & Only War
We're probably going to need something that can handle both piloting mobile suits and running around outside.

Is
Jovian Chronicles/Silhouette System any good? I got a copy in a holiday bundle a while back that I haven't had time to read.

Is there a Legio Titanica line for Dark Heresy yet?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Honestly, there are only two things that come to mind: Adeptus Evangelicus, and GURPS. If you want involved chargen and CPA level crunch, you're after GURPS.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Mutants & Masterminds 2e had a book that had mecha rules but I'm not sure how well that would convert to 3e since they changed a bunch of things. Silhouette is sort of janky but workable I guess, but my only experience with it is Heavy Nova which is more like Battletech than Gundam. There's also Mekton Zeta but that's poverty as hell and should only be played to laugh at how bad it is.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rockopolis posted:

Is
Jovian Chronicles/Silhouette System any good? I got a copy in a holiday bundle a while back that I haven't had time to read.

Best Mech RPGs I've seen (although refluffing 4E works veeery well for a pure mech and no pilot stats game). The problem my group had with Silhoutte is that most actions were either trivial or virtually impossible. Combat was similar with it either being a very fast turkey shoot or a long tedious grind with neither side able to do much damage. If you like highly lethal games, its worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
You might also want to check out our very own TK-31's Giant Guardian Generation, which seems to hit most of your marks (except potentially the crunch level), including the pilot/mech divide.