Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Lexicon posted:

I think you vastly overestimate the competence of the average person in applying nuance of contract law to their cellular service. The majority of Canadians don't even realize that Fido and Rogers are run by the same company.

You're definitely right that they wouldn't do it if the expected value of the decision was negative, even factoring in wildly higher numbers of people complaining/cancelling. But I suspect they are relying more on consumer ignorance than on legal safety or something.

I got out of a cable internet contract in the UK because they raised the monthly price mid-contract. It did explicitly state in the terms and conditions that I was allowed to cancel with no penatly if they did that. Apparently all the companies there do that, there's no price guarantee with contracts. They assume most people won't bother to cancel because of it, or if they do, they offer that customer a discount equivalent to the price increase to keep them.

Bit of a different situation though of course, because the contract wasn't attached to a free phone or something that they had to make their money back on. Check your terms and conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Hello! So lately I've decided to help my family upgrade their phones. We go to Future Shop, pre-order the iPhone 5S (for their $50 out-of-stock bonus), and then are shocked when the cheapest plan is for $70 ($20 more than what we are currently paying ... for a worse plan when it comes to data).

Suffice to say that since she's exactly 20 days out of contract, there's nothing exactly keeping her tied down to Bell. I was thinking that she'd take her current iPhone 4 to mobilicity, but I don't even know if they're like Wind and therefore don't accept them or what.

Any help? Price really is not an issue. I was considering even moving her to a Nexus 4/5 or similar on a no-contract carrier (which would mean she'd pay the same for buying a phone and less for the plan in the long run). What have other people been doing? Who has sane rates nowadays?

I am sorry if the new Bell rates have already been brought up and someone posted a logical conclusion somewhere. But I glossed this last page and found nothing.

Mobilicity and Wind both use AWS band (Same as T-Mobile in the US) and the iPhone does not support that frequency as far as I know.

For cheaper options that support iphones you'd probably want to look at koodo/fido/virgin I think. They give a discount if you bring your own phone I believe.

Also, subsidising an iphone purchase is expensive. Even the discount carriers like koodo and fido have 'special' (read: More expensive) plans that apply only to iphones if you are getting an iPhone on contract with them.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 7, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 5S and newer models of the iPhone 5 do support AWS and will work on Wind / Mobilicity (if unlocked of course)

lags
Jan 3, 2004

I just had essentially the same thing happen (due for an upgrade, asked for a 5s, told I would have to spend WAY more monthly) I tried going through all manner of channels - supervisors, floor managers, retentions... They all said the same thing. I have been with Rogers since ooooh about 1995 - I've switched devices exactly 4 times. No one gave a poo poo.

I ordered a nexus 5 last week - it arrived yesterday and I look forward to be able to tell Rogers where to go and how to get there.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Nobody really has sane rates when it comes to iPhones anymore, unless off contract.

But while it won't fix this and all the other horrible poo poo we've been talking about, some good news! The new Wireless Code of Conduct is going to be fully implemented soon, slightly raising Canada from the bottom of the telecom barrel. It will be implemented by all carriers by December 2nd, but Bell will be doing so on November 17th, and I suspect other carriers will be doing it early as well too. Some highlights, which will affect all carriers who don't currently abide by them include:

- Loaner phones must be provided free of charge while still in warranty. If they aren't available, the carrier must suspend your charges and reactivate them when your phone is fixed, free of charge. They can still probably charge you if you break the loaner, though.

- New service agreements which will be more transparent, including the termination fee of the device, unlocking fee, and more.

- Phones must be unlocked after 90 days if on contract, or anytime if no contract. Fee still applies (I think we all do this now)

- Termination fee cannot exceed discount given off phone (Pretty sure we all do this now too)

- Data overages max out at $50, roaming at $100 :toot: (Usage will be blocked at this point, can pay to continue using if need be)

- New category where you can optionally self identify as having a disability, which allows us to use different means of communication of official documents (braille, etc)

- Return policy is a minimum of 15 days, 30 minutes talk time, or double that if you have accessibility problems. Maximum of two exchanges, potentially subject to $35 restocking fee (I don't know of anyone who does this. Hopefully it is not instituted, but if anyone does this, they will probably continue to do so)

- Prepaid cards now have an extra 7 day grace period where if you miss the expiry day then you don't lose your funds... so in other words, prepaid cards last an extra 7 days. I don't know what this is meant to accomplish, if people can't remember one expiry day then I don't see why a new one will help.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man what the gently caress, my N5 has gone from 3-4 weeks to ship, to 1-2 weeks, now it's saying "Dispatched from warehouse on 26/11/2013". The gently caress is going on :(

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man what the gently caress, my N5 has gone from 3-4 weeks to ship, to 1-2 weeks, now it's saying "Dispatched from warehouse on 26/11/2013". The gently caress is going on :(

at least yours hasn't been stuck in Hodgkins Illinois for over 3 days according to this UPS tracker!

:( :(

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hah weird, I saw Hodgkins IN and Hodgkins IL on mine so googled to see if it was the same city on a state border or something like how Kansas City is and came across this little tidbit:

quote:

There is no Hodgkins Indiana. The town (Hodgkins IL) is located in Cook County, IL southwest of Chicago.

Hodgkins INDIANA is not a city, it is merely a UPS hub. It is located somewhere in Ohio close to the border with Indiana. The reason is that Indiana allows only double trailers at max, while Ohio and Illinois allow triple trailers. Therefore, when UPS trucks travel from west to east, they drop one trailer in Hodkings ILLINOIS, and then after going through Indiana they get the third trailer in HODGKINS IN, which is just the name of the UPS hub. When traveling east to west, UPS trucks drop the third trailer in HODGKINS IN and pick up a third trailer in HODGKINS IL.

Mine is listed as departing Hodgkins a few days ago so I imagine it's on its way to canada now or something? Estimated delivery date is tuesday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just called their support number out of curiosity and slight frustration, and the guy said that nothing was wrong with my order but he's been seeing shipping dates bounce all over the place.

Annoying as gently caress I probably won't get this phone until the first week of December according to the estimate, unless it magically changes again :(

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
In this thread goons freak about shipping times going from three weeks to two weeks and back to three weeks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ante posted:

In this thread goons freak about shipping times going from three weeks to two weeks and back to three weeks

It's pretty reasonable to be annoyed about this, considering people who ordered their phone after me are already getting theirs.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Squibbles posted:

Hah weird, I saw Hodgkins IN and Hodgkins IL on mine so googled to see if it was the same city on a state border or something like how Kansas City is and came across this little tidbit:

Mine is listed as departing Hodgkins a few days ago so I imagine it's on its way to canada now or something? Estimated delivery date is tuesday.

nice I was wondering about that too since mine was at both on the 5th, no updates since then though!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine arrived today :shrug:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

OilSlick posted:

But while it won't fix this and all the other horrible poo poo we've been talking about, some good news! The new Wireless Code of Conduct is going to be fully implemented soon, slightly raising Canada from the bottom of the telecom barrel.

- Termination fee cannot exceed discount given off phone (Pretty sure we all do this now too)

- Data overages max out at $50, roaming at $100 :toot: (Usage will be blocked at this point, can pay to continue using if need be)

This is actually pretty good news.

RE: Termination; Is the termination fee calculated based on the original discount given off the phone (i.e. the off contract - subsidied price) or the running discount (i.e. the off contract price - how much you've paid off the phone with the $10 budgeted fee most carriers take from you ever month)?

RE: Overages; This doesn't really change anything since it seems carriers are still free to change their rate for overages. They're all at $0.05/mb which rounds off to some $51 per GB (which at least currently on Bell's rates would mean you're effectively paying for an upgraded plan for whichever month you go over). It'll change soon, I assume.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Where can I find wireless chargers up here? I'm in toronto, I haven't found a single store that had them, most don't even know what they are. There's a bunch on ebay but they all ship from the us, and after shipping + customs the price starts getting a little high.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arrinien posted:

Where can I find wireless chargers up here? I'm in toronto, I haven't found a single store that had them, most don't even know what they are. There's a bunch on ebay but they all ship from the us, and after shipping + customs the price starts getting a little high.

Any luck on Amazon? Most places on .com will ship to Canada.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Arrinien posted:

Futureshop /best buy carried them before, have they stopped?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Arrinien posted:

Monoprice. I've never been charged customs in a shipment from them, and they are quite happy to send to Canada.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
So it's getting about time to ditch my Motorola Milestone, but I'm really not a fan of most of the options available to me right now. Everything is either an iPhone or too big. I really like the HTC One mini, but it's only available on Rogers, and for various reasons, I'd prefer to stick with Telus if at all possible (better rural coverage, and also my whole family uses it). I've been considering getting an unlocked HTC One mini from the States, especially since Telus now has that reduced rate for bringing your own device.

If I get an unlocked HTC One mini from the States, will it work with Telus's LTE network here? Sounds like GSM and 3G will work just fine, but I can't find a straight answer on the internet as to what frequency Telus's LTE network uses -- some people say 700 mHz, some say 800 mHz, some say 1900 mHz, some say only out east, some say only out west -- and I certainly haven't gotten a straight answer from Telus themselves.

(Also, this a purely academic question, but I'm curious: which is better, a lower frequency or a higher one? Like, would I get better performance using LTE at 800 or at 1900? What would it affect? Speed? Signal strength? Would it even be noticeable?)

For reference, here's the network specs of the phone I'm talking about : http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_mini-5505.php

EDIT: If it matters, I'd be using the phone mostly in BC and Alberta, but obviously I'd like it to work in other parts of the country too.

Portfolio fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 12, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Get the AT&T version unlocked and it will work on all LTE networks here. Lower frequency typically means better building penetration.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any luck on Amazon? Most places on .com will ship to Canada.
Oh, I didn't think to try .com, I'll check this out thanks. Monoprice doesn't seem to have any and FS/BB only has one model it seems.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

This is actually pretty good news.

RE: Termination; Is the termination fee calculated based on the original discount given off the phone (i.e. the off contract - subsidied price) or the running discount (i.e. the off contract price - how much you've paid off the phone with the $10 budgeted fee most carriers take from you ever month)?

RE: Overages; This doesn't really change anything since it seems carriers are still free to change their rate for overages. They're all at $0.05/mb which rounds off to some $51 per GB (which at least currently on Bell's rates would mean you're effectively paying for an upgraded plan for whichever month you go over). It'll change soon, I assume.

I'm not sure I understand your post. The termination fee is the same as the discount given off your phone, I'm not familiar with a "running price" or any other way of calculating it. I also don't know what you mean by nothing with change about the data rates, they cap at $50 or $150. Meaning there are no more charges. You can't get your bill any higher. I don't see how that's not a change, my mom's boss just got hit with a $3500 roaming bill and now that will never happen again.

Arrinien posted:

For what kind of device? We stocked tons of them at Bell and they never sold ever. You might be able to find them on clearance or something at The Source stores.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

OilSlick posted:

For what kind of device? We stocked tons of them at Bell and they never sold ever. You might be able to find them on clearance or something at The Source stores.
Nexus 5

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did any of you get an order status change this morning?

Mine now shows:

No longer says on the 26th, instead says by the 26th now. I really hope it ships soon, it's painful hearing about everyone else with their new phones and I'm spamming F5 in the Play store.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Mine is currently out for delivery so I'll either get home to a package on my front step (don't rob me pls, thanks) or I get to wait for UPS to redirect it to my office or travel to some distant depot to pick it up or whatever.

What should I do if I want to back up a game save/profile to move to another phone. Is that something that varies game to game or can I do it manually if I just copy over a file somewhere? Defender's of Texel is the game I'm thinking of to be specific.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

A rare compliment is owed to Rogers: their One Number service (and iOS app) works pretty drat well. I've got a 'legacy' plan with 6GB data but very few minutes or long distance minutes (and I travel around the country a lot). One Number is pretty awesome for arbitraging voice minutes into data, and has let me get rid of my "long distance" minutes entirely.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Squibbles posted:

Mine is currently out for delivery so I'll either get home to a package on my front step (don't rob me pls, thanks) or I get to wait for UPS to redirect it to my office or travel to some distant depot to pick it up or whatever.

What should I do if I want to back up a game save/profile to move to another phone. Is that something that varies game to game or can I do it manually if I just copy over a file somewhere? Defender's of Texel is the game I'm thinking of to be specific.

I'm working 930-6 today and tomorrow and my N5 hasn't even left the UPS facility yet despite supposedly being delivered by end of day today. Truly the best courier service.

If you want to transfer save games the best way to do it is Titanium Backup, rooting your N5 and then restoring the data.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Alright, thanks.

Mine has apparently been "out for delivery" since 2:45AM. Speedy trucks!

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Lexicon posted:

A rare compliment is owed to Rogers: their One Number service (and iOS app) works pretty drat well. I've got a 'legacy' plan with 6GB data but very few minutes or long distance minutes (and I travel around the country a lot). One Number is pretty awesome for arbitraging voice minutes into data, and has let me get rid of my "long distance" minutes entirely.

Except it tells me that it's not compatible with my Nexus 5. Which I bet it probably is except Rogers maintains some arbitrary device list somewhere that they haven't been arsed to update yet.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
in Vancouver, phone arrived today at 12:30. Just finished setting the thing up with my google account. It's pulling down all my old apps, etc, seems great so far!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

lags posted:

Except it tells me that it's not compatible with my Nexus 5. Which I bet it probably is except Rogers maintains some arbitrary device list somewhere that they haven't been arsed to update yet.

That's annoying. Do they whitelist devices or OS versions? Common sense would recommend the latter approach (unless there's some Android hinterlands issue I'm unaware of), but this is Rogers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hardtarget posted:

in Vancouver, phone arrived today at 12:30. Just finished setting the thing up with my google account. It's pulling down all my old apps, etc, seems great so far!

gently caress. Everyone in Canada is going to have their N5 before mine even ships!!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress. Everyone in Canada is going to have their N5 before mine even ships!!

Mine just shipped last night! :dance: I ordered a white one.
My boyfriend ordered a black one a week ahead of me and it now says 2-3 weeks shipping. I'm not sure why there was a difference in ship times between the two colours. I just picked whichever would ship fastest because I'm going to cover it with a case anyway.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an FYI for anyone considering picking up a cellular enabled tablet. I picked up an iPad Air today at Future Shop and you get a $50 gift card if you activate service with Rogers. Worked out for me since I wanted a different network from my phone (Virgin/Bell).

I didn't ask if this was iPad Air specific but I'd be surprised if it was -- seemed to be a Rogers promotion more than anything else.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CLAM DOWN posted:

My replacement 32 GB black is going to arrive on Thursday (I asked for a replacement because there was a speck of dirt/dust underneath the glass).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've already returned mine back to Google for the rattling issue. And I've got an express checkout link for another one if I want it shipped immiately to me should I choose to use it.

Sorry, i shouldn't rub it in. But the good news is that the RMA process is smooth and the support folks are nice. There also is a Canadian LG repair/RMA centre in North york, which is the good news I came to post. It will make life easier for anyone getting repairs down the line and having to ship their phone to google on their own dime.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
ugh, so I cut down my fullsize SIM from my GNex and popped it into my new N5, no problem. Cut was stressful but easy and the phone booted up and connected to fido fine, saved me 10 bucks.

Then I noticed I'm only getting 3G speeds, none of this LTE promised land business. Phoned up Fido and apparently even though I bought my GNex last November from them (so a year ago) and LTE was already all the rage back then they only gave me a 3G SIM and so no LTE for me until I pony up 10 bucks for a new LTE capable micro-sim.

Super bummed about that, why would they even be giving away non lte sims at this point.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hardtarget posted:

ugh, so I cut down my fullsize SIM from my GNex and popped it into my new N5, no problem. Cut was stressful but easy and the phone booted up and connected to fido fine, saved me 10 bucks.

Then I noticed I'm only getting 3G speeds, none of this LTE promised land business. Phoned up Fido and apparently even though I bought my GNex last November from them (so a year ago) and LTE was already all the rage back then they only gave me a 3G SIM and so no LTE for me until I pony up 10 bucks for a new LTE capable micro-sim.

Super bummed about that, why would they even be giving away non lte sims at this point.

Go to a store and talk to an associate, you *should* be able to get an LTE sim for free if you don't have one already. I did when I bought my Optimus G in March.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I've already returned mine back to Google for the rattling issue. And I've got an express checkout link for another one if I want it shipped immiately to me should I choose to use it.

Sorry, i shouldn't rub it in. But the good news is that the RMA process is smooth and the support folks are nice. There also is a Canadian LG repair/RMA centre in North york, which is the good news I came to post. It will make life easier for anyone getting repairs down the line and having to ship their phone to google on their own dime.

I'm glad the RMA process is good, even though I hope mine will be fine there's always a chance.

In the meantime, both my cases have arrived (Caseology and Diztronic) so I have another 2+ weeks to stare at them and sob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Got my 32GB White N5 ordered Oct 31 afternoon (like 3:30PM PDT) at 7:30PM tonight in Burnaby. The UPS site didn't even bother to update me saying it was out for delivery.