Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lowen SoDium posted:

Am I the only one who was disappointed that this guy wasn't in more episodes? I liked his character. He was very laid back, maybe a tad lazy, and friendly. It was the exact opposite of Odo and I liked seeing how much it pissed Odo off that he was even on the station.

Yeah, I was convinced they were going to go somewhere with that character, but then again, it was the first season. Then Eddington came along and I wonder if that was their plan with that guy but they couldn't get the actor back or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

happyhippy posted:

Surely Jadzia loving a guy with a transparent head back in series 1/2 would have given Bashir a clue he was Ensign Friendzone.

I think you mean Lieutenant JG Friendzone.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

The Dark One posted:

I think you mean Lieutenant JG Friendzone.

Oh gently caress, for a second I thought :vulcan: was an actual emoticon.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I was convinced they were going to go somewhere with that character, but then again, it was the first season. Then Eddington came along and I wonder if that was their plan with that guy but they couldn't get the actor back or something.

I didn't realize they were two different people until just now.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

DrNutt posted:

I think it doesn't help that Lt Primmin is only in two episodes, one of which everyone hates, and one that is pretty forgettable. But I always wish they had done more with him.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Gau posted:

Oh gently caress, for a second I thought :vulcan: was an actual emoticon.

:smugvulcan: or :smugspock: maybe?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

kelvron posted:

A little redundant, don't you think?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

kelvron posted:

:smugtrek:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

mangler103 posted:

:smugtrek:

I like this one.

:edit: Just finished Once Upon a Time, and it was not as bad as I was dreading. A little character growth for Neelix, and the chance to tell the age-old "How to tell a child about a parent's possible death" story. I'm surprised we never saw this in TNG with Worf-Alexander. Closest we got there was Ethics.

:editx2: Timeless is next, featuring Captain La Forge. I dunno what happened in the 10 or so years between Nemesis and Timeless, but Geordi developed his inner Billy Dee. The smoothest Captain in Starfleet.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 7, 2013

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
He found one of those stupid sub-reddits dedicated to seduction and/or date rape and decided to stop being so beta. The friendzone was the only thing holding Geordi back from greatness.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Reminder: Geordi once fell in love with the ship's computer.

THE SHIP'S COMPUTER.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

The only good to come out of Insurrection is Frakes and Sirtis doing a commentary track.

All of Frakes's commentary tracks are great. In First Contact he's all "EWWW THIS EYEBALL PART IS SO GROSS I CAN'T WATCH" and "OH MAN I LOVE THIS SCENE IT'S SO COOL" and "MICHAEL KEPT MESSING UP THIS LINE IT WAS HILARIOUS"

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Gonz posted:

Reminder: Geordi once fell in love with the ship's computer.

THE SHIP'S COMPUTER.

No good Geordi, Roddenberry already has dibs.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

All I'm saying is go watch that scene in Timeless. He went full Billy Dee.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Blazing Ownager posted:

We already had Picard vs Proto-Dukat anyway. I don't even understand why they made Dukat a new character, very little would have changed had they kept the same one.

Because that Cardassian wasn't played by the great Marc Alaimo.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Jumley posted:

Because that Cardassian wasn't played by the great Marc Alaimo.

He was that's the point. Unless we are talking about a proto-Dukat I'm not aware of?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There was Gul Madred played by Trek regular David Warner. Would he qualify as a proto-Dukat?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Gul Macet was the proto-Dukat in The Wounded. Same episode that featured O'Brien singing The Minstrel Boy.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

He was that's the point. Unless we are talking about a proto-Dukat I'm not aware of?

I'm sorry! I forgot about weird mustache Dukat. I was thinking of Gul Madred.

Maybe they thought his facial hair was dumb and that Dukat would never be caught dead with it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Voyager Bij Update:

The One where Loli Elf learns to be a Firestarter didn't really do anything for me.

I am currently watching the one where Girl Worf was kidnapped by robots. I'm getting sort of a Samaritan Snare vibe from it.

e: robortion occured, and now time for THRESHOLD. I have heard legends of the episode, but now I must experience it for myself.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 8, 2013

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Why am I watching these goofy genetically engineered dudes singing together for three minutes

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Enterprise Season 4 just turned the standard boring two-parter into a boring three-parter, and then immediately did it again. gently caress off with this poo poo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Season four is almost entirely multipart stories. Some of them are not that great.

Sorry.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Michael Dorn, ruining takes before they've even started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SvVXb3yq-U#t=42s

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Season four is almost entirely multipart stories. Some of them are not that great.

Sorry.

Season 3 was mostly one long boring story so it's a slight improvement I guess. Still waiting for that incredible Season 4 quality bump that people talk about, I'm currently about halfway through the season and it's been pretty boring so far.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Season 3 was mostly one long boring story so it's a slight improvement I guess. Still waiting for that incredible Season 4 quality bump that people talk about, I'm currently about halfway through the season and it's been pretty boring so far.

Doesn't exist. The stories get more solid, but if you're expecting anything drastic you need to start watching a different show. Also, possibly not Star Trek.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Update: This is real gross Brundlefly body horror. I thought people just turned into lizards or something. I haven't seen anything this fangoriously gross in Star Trek since the weird torso bug in Conspiracy.

"His rate of genetic mutation has increased 12%!"

e: okay now I'm transwarpphobic. Every time they use the idea of "EVOLUTION" in Star Trek they really just gently caress the pig. Evolution does NOT WORK THAT WAY. I mean I don't know how Phased Neutronium Madeupium Particles work, but evolution... ugh.

e2: Jesus this "morning after" talk is really awkward. Really, really awkward. "I'm putting you in for a commendation for lizard raping me when we were lizards and begetting weird lizard babies on me. Unless it was I who lizard raped you! Ha-ha!"

Onward to DREADNAUGHT!

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 8, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Midly related, Thor: the Dark World has some pretty effing great spaceships in it. The asymmetrical Dark Elf fighters were my favorite.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Adam Bowen posted:

I think people are just more into the different focus, because Enterprise spends a huge amount of the season hanging out in what will become the core Federation systems, which is what I enjoy as well about it. There's more stories about the founding races, which really helps to flesh out the background of Trek in general.

Plus, I think a lot of people just liked a definitive end to the Temporal Cold War, which I never had a problem with. Some fun episodes came out of that storyline :v:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm mostly a fan of the Original Series, since it has the sort of psychedelic/weird sci-fi I love. I always thought the other series were too boring. However, a local station has been showing DS9 in blocks of 3 episodes a night, and I've been enjoying season 5 and the AV Club recaps. Its a fun show. I just saw 'Doctor Bashir, I Presume', though, and it really makes me dislike the Federation. The anti-genetic engineering stance makes them seem pretty retrograde and Luddite, and its at odds with my transhuman beliefs. A few Khans aside, why not improve the intelligence of EVERYONE, especially Starfleet officers? It fits in the the sorta grey, bland, retrograde feeling of post-TOS Trek, where the highest aspiration is to be a sort of 18th century gentleman, listening to bland music in a grey cabin.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Count Chocula posted:

A few Khans aside, why not improve the intelligence of EVERYONE, especially Starfleet officers?

So your plan is "a few Khans was bad, but tens of thousands of Khans would be better...I think."

Other topic: The Ultimate Computer is both very topical and yet incredible dated at the same time. Fascinating, isn't it?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Sash! posted:

So your plan is "a few Khans was bad, but tens of thousands of Khans would be better...I think."

I just think that 'Khans' aren't really caused by genetic engineering. The next episode of DS9 had a random villain who was going to wipe out 28 million people. I just think that if you can improve on baseline humanity you should, you shouldn't make it illegal. Trek society has all the components of a post-singularity culture - matter replication, perfect holograms, the ability to cheaply improve people's genetic codes, cybernetics, contact with godlike organisms, time travel - but it consciously tries to avoid using them to uplift its people and its society. Its such a backward view. TOS ironically looks like the most forward-looking of the Treks because at least its universe has the sort of strange beings and societies you'd expect in a universe like that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Count Chocula posted:

I just think that 'Khans' aren't really caused by genetic engineering. The next episode of DS9 had a random villain who was going to wipe out 28 million people. I just think that if you can improve on baseline humanity you should, you shouldn't make it illegal. Trek society has all the components of a post-singularity culture - matter replication, perfect holograms, the ability to cheaply improve people's genetic codes, cybernetics, contact with godlike organisms, time travel - but it consciously tries to avoid using them to uplift its people and its society. Its such a backward view. TOS ironically looks like the most forward-looking of the Treks because at least its universe has the sort of strange beings and societies you'd expect in a universe like that.

For ever Bashir you get 3 crazy ones.
They also say in the episode its the genetic engineering that drove them to be power hungry.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 8, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
William Riker

:toot:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CURjC1-s4w:toot:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 8, 2013

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

I'm mostly a fan of the Original Series, since it has the sort of psychedelic/weird sci-fi I love. I always thought the other series were too boring. However, a local station has been showing DS9 in blocks of 3 episodes a night, and I've been enjoying season 5 and the AV Club recaps. Its a fun show. I just saw 'Doctor Bashir, I Presume', though, and it really makes me dislike the Federation. The anti-genetic engineering stance makes them seem pretty retrograde and Luddite, and its at odds with my transhuman beliefs. A few Khans aside, why not improve the intelligence of EVERYONE, especially Starfleet officers? It fits in the the sorta grey, bland, retrograde feeling of post-TOS Trek, where the highest aspiration is to be a sort of 18th century gentleman, listening to bland music in a grey cabin.

Genetic engineering implies that humans can be better which doesn't fit with one of the central tenets of Star Trek, that humans are perfect and all alien races would be best served by becoming more like us because we've struck the perfect balance between logic and emotion, empathy and valor, and so on.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Chocula posted:

Improve the intelligence of everyone in what way? How do you measure which aspect of intelligence has been increased? Sure, you could probably give everyone decent mathematical ability and treat genetic disorders, but at a certain point (or so one could argue) you are turning people into special-service machines, without their consent, rather than improving them. Khan had many improvements, and perhaps many problems coming from those improvements; it would seem just as wise to refrain from making the improvements as to make more improvements to address those problems.

Now that said it does not seem impossible that hew-mon disgust at the horrible things wrought by brave, bold, daring, conquering transhuman supermen out to improve everyone with a post-atomic horror has led to overly restrictive laws on the matter and you could do some augmenting without serious side effects (witness Bashir). That said, who decides what the new upgrade platen will be? etc.

Narratively you run into the problem that if you have a lot of augments, you either make the show a celebration of genetic engineering which may well not... go over that nicely, you make them bad guys or perhaps pathetic victims like in seaQuest, or you just create boring characters who do not mourn or whatever the hell Gene tried to say about humans in early TNG. Bashir threads the needle quite neatly I think.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

For ever Bashir you get 3 crazy ones.
They also say in the episode its the genetic engineering that drove them to be power hungry.

Exactly, superior ability breeds superior ambition.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Exactly, superior ability breeds superior ambition.

If applied equally across the board like vaccinations, no not really. I mean, you only have so much of an advancement you can make as a species in the limited time we are all sponge brained super learners.. At some point when quantum mathematics becomes a baseline for everyday life something has to give because you simply cant squeeze that in for every individual in regular schooling. If you increase the rate at which things are learned and make sure everyone has additional aptitude then you can increase the knowledge baseline for the species as a whole which is a natural progression for our constant need for new knowledge sets in more advanced disciplines.

Genetic engineering is not some horrible taboo, its a good thing. You can sequence out vulnerabilities to debilitating conditions, you can strengthen the immune system and muscle structure, you can normalize metabolism, prevent hormone imbalances, create resistance to obesity and increase the durability of internal organs. You can reduce the chances of chemical imbalances in the brain, lengthen the window in which information can be learned quickly, increase ability in both creative and practical disciplines, all sorts of good stuff. Star Trek and hell most Sci-Fi have always taken the stupid road, harping on playing god and altering the species, whatever. But the thing is, we already play god. We alter our environment to suit us, kill viruses that should be deadly, lengthen lifespans, recover from injuries that should be fatal, etc. Genetic modification is just a natural progression as a race, whatever evolution would do we can do much faster and there's no reason not to when we have the means other than a fear of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Spaceman Future! posted:

If applied equally across the board like vaccinations, no not really. I mean, you only have so much of an advancement you can make as a species in the limited time we are all sponge brained super learners.. At some point when quantum mathematics becomes a baseline for everyday life something has to give because you simply cant squeeze that in for every individual in regular schooling. If you increase the rate at which things are learned and make sure everyone has additional aptitude then you can increase the knowledge baseline for the species as a whole which is a natural progression for our constant need for new knowledge sets in more advanced disciplines.
Where is the gene for quantum mathematical aptitude? I mean, hell, is there even one, or even a cluster?

I recall there was an elementary-school student in TNG who referred to studying calculus and not in terms of 'it's impossible or too hard.' I would imagine you would also get great results out of improved pedagogical techniques, especially in a semi-post-scarcity environment like the Federation's.

quote:

Genetic engineering is not some horrible taboo, its a good thing. You can sequence out vulnerabilities to debilitating conditions, you can strengthen the immune system and muscle structure, you can normalize metabolism, prevent hormone imbalances, create resistance to obesity and increase the durability of internal organs. You can reduce the chances of chemical imbalances in the brain, lengthen the window in which information can be learned quickly, increase ability in both creative and practical disciplines, all sorts of good stuff. Star Trek and hell most Sci-Fi have always taken the stupid road, harping on playing god and altering the species, whatever. But the thing is, we already play god. We alter our environment to suit us, kill viruses that should be deadly, lengthen lifespans, recover from injuries that should be fatal, etc. Genetic modification is just a natural progression as a race, whatever evolution would do we can do much faster and there's no reason not to when we have the means other than a fear of change.
Perhaps they should use some kind of persistent technological device to ensure that their gattaca codes are always up to date... some kind of nanoprobes mebbe.

All :v: aside I imagine in a trek series you could rehabilitate some transhumanist themes, just probably not of the 'thanks to our use of this science we are literally better at everything' sorts.

• Locked thread