Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The only person here going hysterical console/PC warrior is you. PC gaming was brought up in this thread someone mentioned the cost of a graphics card as an aid to comparison and you immediately start yelling about PC gamers, despite apparently being one of the ones who actually fits the strawman of spending thousands a year. It's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PC gaming is stupid-easy and cheap if you have an independent desire to have a Windows desktop. For me, it was time to upgrade, and I could either get a new laptop or a considerably more powerful desktop (and the desktop was significantly cheaper - this was the summer that StarCraft 2 came out). Making a reasonable home office machine into a gaming machine was just spending $150 on a graphics card, so for me and people like me, it's kind of dumb to not have a gaming PC if you have any desire to use the mouse and keyboard for games. I think that the whole machine was around $600 or $700, not counting the monitor. This was when AMD was more competitive, though - now it's a bit more expensive (I think, might be wrong) because Intel just is the right choice.

In any case, for me (because I already wanted a desktop for writing), PC gaming is extremely cheap. For people in other situations, that PC tower can't be written off as something you'd buy anyway, and it becomes a significant cost to build a desktop Windows computer solely for games. If your needs are best served by a laptop, then the cost of PC gaming is the entire cost of a gaming desktop, and that's high. If your needs are best served by a (Windows) desktop, then PC gaming is stupid-cheap.

Different people have different use cases, and that's OK!

I hope that Nintendo pulls its head of its butt and somehow fixes the WiiU. I want to play Smash Brothers on it, but nothing else about it is remotely appealing. A Paperboy remake would be the bee's knees.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2013

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Dude, you may want to look up "chimping out."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

* actual performance of newer games over time will not be at maximum details/resolution

No poo poo, dude. That's not really a problem unless you have some dumb desire to constantly have the best thing around. If you're interested in better performance and graphics than consoles you're still beating the pants off them without maxing AA and going to 4k.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Crowbear posted:

Speaking of which, after nearly a year of speculation and investigation one of the tech guys on gaf finally confirmed the specs of the Wii U's GPU tonight.

Turns out it's just about what people thought. It's roughly equivalent to the current gen GPU's, and is shocklingly behind what the next gen machines are packing.

As in, compared to the PS4 it has 1/10th the FLOPs, 1/4 the ROPs, 1/9th the texture units, and 1/5th to 1/6th of the useable RAM.

Or, to use a pretty picture:

So good luck getting ports once developers switch to next-gen only development.

What does the Y Axis represent?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

madeupfred posted:

Wii Us

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Seriously the level of apeshit rage that the mere mention of PC gaming inspires in some people is hilarious.

icantfindaname posted:

The only person here going hysterical console/PC warrior is you. PC gaming was brought up in this thread someone mentioned the cost of a graphics card as an aid to comparison and you immediately start yelling about PC gamers, despite apparently being one of the ones who actually fits the strawman of spending thousands a year. It's hilarious.

Yes, pointing out that PC gaming is actually pretty expensive to get started with is certainly raging against PC gaming.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'd like to emphasize once again that the kind of games people play on the PC are really varied and most of them are not spec-intensive. Just looking at the games forum you have space station 13, nethack, dwarf fortress, minecraft, GTA5, team fortress, battlefield, civilization, starcraft, DOTA, MMOs. There literally isn't a thread close to the frontpage about a spec heavy game like Crysis or Metro.

edit: enough with the derail.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes, pointing out that PC gaming is actually pretty expensive to get started with is certainly raging against PC gaming.

You keep doing it and every time you post one of your dumb rants they just seem to get angrier and angrier.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

madeupfred posted:

Scale basically. So a 2 is 2 times what the Wii U is capable of in a given category, 4 is four times the Wii U's capability, etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Joink posted:

Consoles can be quite pricey.
xboxone - $499 + $60/yr for LIVE + $60 games + $60 for another controller + cost of a TV
ps4 - $399 + $50/yr for PS+ + $60 games + $60 for another controller + cost of a TV

Definitely some variance in there but it can add up overtime. Not saying a gaming quality PC is cheaper but consoles are more expansive than people perceive.

Even my dad, who taught me to be budget-conscious, is surprised I'm still using a 10+ year-old CRT TV. I go to the store, see the prices for "cheap" TVs, and think of everything else I could buy with that money compared to how much I'd use the thing. A good PC monitor was an investment (a TV the same size was twice the price, not sure if that's some hardware difference or just what normal folks are willing to pay), the TV can wait. I need to remember to look around come Black Friday, see if anything's more palatable.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

I'd like to emphasize once again that the kind of games people play on the PC are really varied and most of them are not spec-intensive. Just looking at the games forum you have space station 13, nethack, dwarf fortress, minecraft, GTA5, team fortress, battlefield, civilization, starcraft, DOTA, MMOs. There literally isn't a thread close to the frontpage about a spec heavy game like Crysis or Metro.

Battlefield isn't spec intensive on PC if you want it to look like an Xbox 360 game (and also want to complain about the game running like poo poo on settings your PC can't handle).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Stop bringing up PC gaming dammit, this is the thread where we bash on the Wii U.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I can't even grasp the issue here. You spend more, you get more. That's it. You want to spend $400? Fine, buy a console. You want something more powerful? Spend more. With all the free games and sales, you'll probably spend less in the long run anyway.

It's not hard to build a computer. I can understand if you just can't be bothered. But don't pretend it's rocket science. My knowledge of computers outside of navigating Windows and playing games is very superficial, and I put together a machine by following a good YouTube video.

EDIT: ^ Sorry. On my phone.

The Wii U? More like P.U.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 8, 2013

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Astro Nut posted:

Scale basically. So a 2 is 2 times what the Wii U is capable of in a given category, 4 is four times the Wii U's capability, etc.

Oh, eww. Eww. That is an awful way to represent that data.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

madeupfred posted:

It's an awesome way to represent it if your goal is to show how lovely the WiiU is compared to others.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I still have zero idea what that chart means. Should I be unsatisfied with my PS3's prim?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's more to understand how dire the situation is for 3rd party ports in the future, since the new consoles are so out of the league of the Wii U ports will be next to impossible

The last thing the Wii U needs is less games.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I still have zero idea what that chart means. Should I be unsatisfied with my PS3's prim?

The chart says that the Wii U is significantly less powerful than the new consoles and that it is almost exactly the same power as the current generation. This isn't new information. Someone in here earlier claimed that the wiiu was more powerful than the 360/PS3, which that chart shows is wrong. It's funny how many people are unable to read a graph though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

The chart says that the Wii U is significantly less powerful than the new consoles and that it is almost exactly the same power as the current generation. This isn't new information. Someone in here earlier claimed that the wiiu was more powerful than the 360/PS3, which that chart shows is wrong. It's funny how many people are unable to read a graph though.

Just today, Project CARS dropped the PS3 and 360 versions, yet a Wii U version still remains in development. If the 360 and PS3 were on the exact same level as the Wii U, I doubt this would happen.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

deadwing posted:

Just today, Project CARS dropped the PS3 and 360 versions, yet a Wii U version still remains in development. If the 360 and PS3 were on the exact same level as the Wii U, I doubt this would happen.

Is there really a market on the PS3 and 360 for Project CARS at this point? Forza and Gran Turismo have their systems pretty much locked down for "realistic" racing. Sure, the systems have sold quite well, but who knows how well another racing game on the will do at this point.

Sounds like less of a power issue here and more like pragmatism. Current gen, including the Wii U, is not even close to as powerful as next-gen. The Wii U does have more memory to work with than the other guys, but porting from it to a PS3 and 360 might not be worth the time and effort.

EDIT: VVV You can make an argument for them showing up on next gen easily: that's where the game will look at its best (aside from a PC version). Comparatively, the Wii U version is going to look bad next to that.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 8, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Is there really a market on the PS3 and 360 for Project CARS at this point? Forza and Gran Turismo have their systems pretty much locked down for "realistic" racing. Sure, the systems have sold quite well, but who knows how well another racing game on the will do at this point.

Sounds like less of a power issue here and more like pragmatism. Current gen, including the Wii U, is not even close to as powerful as next-gen. The Wii U does have more memory to work with than the other guys, but porting from it to a PS3 and 360 might not be worth the time and effort.

It's also coming to the Xbone and the PS4 though. The Bone has Forza at launch and the PS4 has DriveClub coming before Project CARS launches and Gran Turismo probably launching in a year or two.

e:

EDIT: VVV You can make an argument for them showing up on next gen easily: that's where the game will look at its best (aside from a PC version). Comparatively, the Wii U version is going to look bad next to that.

b....but I thought the argument was that the Wii U wasn't going to get ports of "next-gen" games and the only example we have is the exact opposite thing happening, with the "last-gen", so called "Wii U-parity" versions being cancelled, yet the Wii U's version is still coming.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 8, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They probably changed it from the 360 and PS3 to the Xbox One and PS4 so they could release it for the newer consoles, and not have to spend additional time porting and optimising two new versions. Besides, if they plan to continuously support the game, they probably don't want to be hampered by the systems with the smallest amount of RAM, or having to release updates for consoles that are obsolete.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

They probably changed it from the 360 and PS3 to the Xbox One and PS4 so they could release it for the newer consoles, and not have to spend additional time porting and optimising two new versions. Besides, if they plan to continuously support the game, they probably don't want to be hampered by the systems with the smallest amount of RAM, or having to release updates for consoles that are obsolete.

Just today you were arguing that games developed with the Xbone/PS4 in mind will not come to the Wii U.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

deadwing posted:

Just today you were arguing that games developed with the Xbone/PS4 in mind will not come to the Wii U.

The game has gone through the vast majority of its development as a PS3/360/Wii U game. They're not gonna start over from scratch now, they'll just add some bells and whistles to the next gen versions and call it a day.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

The game has gone through the vast majority of its development as a PS3/360/Wii U game. They're not gonna start over from scratch now, they'll just add some bells and whistles to the next gen versions and call it a day.

Here's the latest batch of in-game PC screenshots of Project Cars. That is not just "bells and whistles" for next-gen, that's a game that looks as good as Forza 5 does, if not better.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

deadwing posted:

And how long will those exceptions keep happening? Additionally, do you really think the Wii U version is even going come close to approaching how good it looks on PC, much less the next gen systems? Does any of this really change the fact that games like Battlefield aren't happening on the Wii U?

I appreciate that a nice game like this is coming to the system, but I'll be surprised if the work put into downscaling everything about the game so it can work on the Wii U actually pays off.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

And how long will those exceptions keep happening? Additionally, do you really think the Wii U version is even going come close to approaching how good it looks on PC, much less the next gen systems? Does any of this really change the fact that games like Battlefield aren't happening on the Wii U?

Right now this isn't an "exception", it's the rule. It will not come anywhere close to looking as good as the PC version, I haven't tried to argue that at all. And, yes, Battlefield isn't happening on the Wii U. Battlefield is why I have a PS4 and BF4 on pre-order.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

madeupfred posted:

Because the data has an enormous range across the board, doing it relative to a single reference point makes the most sense. Take a look at the data I posted that I used for the updated graph.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Joink posted:

xboxone - $499 + $60/yr for LIVE + $60 games + $60 for another controller + cost of a TV
ps4 - $399 + $50/yr for PS+ + $60 games + $60 for another controller + cost of a TV

Definitely some variance in there but it can add up overtime. Not saying a gaming quality PC is cheaper but consoles are more expansive than people perceive.

edit: yeah gaming in general is expensive. If you're poor, get an Ouya

Don't get into video games if you are balking at the cost of current games.

Consolized Neo Geo MVS: $550
Controllers: $80
Extension cord: $30
Games: $100+

Worth every penny.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah I think everyone can see that much. It's pretty obvious they were asking about the specific variables being represented.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joink posted:

edit: yeah gaming in general is expensive. If you're poor, get an Ouya

I like how you need to add the second controller. Do you intend to double the price of a computer so you can play LAN multiplayer to get a similar experience?

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Crowbear posted:

Oh god please let's not derail this thread into yet another PC vs console debate :negative:

Reposting this because I come here for awesome effort posts concerning Nintendo's business decisions...but the derail continues:negative:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah I think everyone can see that much. It's pretty obvious they were asking about the specific variables being represented.

It seems like 3 WiiUs to the Bone and 2 Bones to the PS4 is about right.

I'm not sure about the 360/PS3 comp though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

So my prim is fine?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buffer posted:

It seems like 3 WiiUs to the Bone and 2 Bones to the PS4 is about right.

I'm not sure about the 360/PS3 comp though.

That is the stupidest loving way to compare things.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Differo Cathedra posted:

Reposting this because I come here for awesome effort posts concerning Nintendo's business decisions...but the derail continues:negative:

SO atth esame time that he said the relase of the Ps4 and Xbox One would help the Wii U, Iwata claimed that high prices for digital content is better for the consumer, as it makes them appreciate the games more.

quote:

Under these market conditions, although the mainstream idea regarding the digital business in the industry before we actually started selling software in both digital and packaged formats last year was that the digital version should or must be priced lower than its packaged counterpart, we decided that, since the contents are the same, the company would offer the software at the same price, be it the packaged version or the digital version. This is because we want consumers to value software as highly as possible and because we have been trying to heighten the value of our software whenever we produce it.

Because if they got it at a discount, gamers wouldn't care as much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Are you kidding this is incredible, Wii U is the best the facts are right there, it only takes ONE Wii U to reach the prim rate of like fourteen XBox Ones!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Hey man I didn't make the chart that measured things in WiiUs, that was NeoGAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Buffer posted:

Hey man I didn't make the chart that measured things in WiiUs, that was NeoGAF.

I wasn't trying to accuse you of making the chart, sorry.

That isn't the first time I've seen charts made like that and they make me mad every time.

• Locked thread