Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Perigryn posted:

Kira's meticulous personality created Killer Queen because he'd want to be able to destroy all evidence of his crimes.

That's out and out stated. Killer Queen manifested as it did due to Kira's inner drive to murder people with no consequences, thus bombs that can fully destroy all evidence. Bites the Dust is just another extension of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also, the method of obtaining the Stand may have something to do with it. Naturally sprouting a stand requires time to figure out how poo poo works, but getting arrowed speeds up the process.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Seafoam posted:

I was always under the impression that by nature there was something about stands and their being a personification of some sort of psychological/spiritual energy that made understanding one's own stand ability, no matter how absurd, second nature to the user. After that just how well the user can manipulate/understand their stand's ability largely depends on how willing they are to experiment with it and/or accept it without worrying too much about what the gently caress it is or what it is that it's doing.

Wait, does this mean that Koichi is a loud-mouthed rear end in a top hat in the making?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Your way works too posted:

I was just rereading Stone Ocean and Hermes has no idea how Kiss works when she first gets it. This is in stark contrast with when Kira gets Bites The Dust and immediately knows all about how it works down to the smallest detail. I think the series is just mad inconsistent.

Yeah but people have varying degrees of self-introspection. It just translates differently when your inner self can punch things in the face.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Wark Say posted:

Wait, does this mean that Koichi is a loud-mouthed rear end in a top hat in the making?

Yep. Whenever Koichi gets ready to kick some rear end, he becomes a lot more determined and strong in his expression and demeanor. Echoes's with its smack talking is that aspect of himself gaining form.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So, I guess this is a good enough place as any to bring it up, but has anyone else been keeping up with the Rohan spinoff? I just finished the first few chapters, and it seems interesting. Feel a lot like a "tales from the crypt" sort of thing, with each story only being connected by Rohan being the narrator. There isn't much fighting, it is mostly just Araki writing weird things he can't fit into a normal Jojo arc. Nothing so far has been as creepy as Jojolion has been lately, but it is pretty weird. I think I'll keep up with it from now on.

Also, it gives hilarious look into Rohan's insane spending. Dude bought a mountain. Five of them.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 6, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fiend Computer posted:

So, I guess this is a good enough place as any to bring it up, but has anyone else been keeping up with the Rohan spinoff? I just finished the first few chapters, and it seems interesting. Feel a lot like a "tales from the crypt" sort of thing, with each story only being connected by Rohan being the narrator. There isn't much fighting, it is mostly just Araki writing weird things he can't fit into a normal Jojo arc. Nothing so far has been as creepy as Jojolion has been lately, but it is pretty weird. I think I'll keep up with it from now on.

Also, it gives hilarious look into Rohan's insane spending. Dude bought a mountain. Five of them.

I didn't know it existed until you brought it up, but looking at it now, it is pretty cool. Araki's pretty good at making a morbid short story, and it's pretty cool to seem him tackle something other than serialized fightin' manga.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Its a good thing that Diamond Is Not Crash was brought up because I was just reading it and something bugged me.

During the short span that Harvest debuted and then was summarily exploded, every time a few were killed, all users involved (Josuke/Okuyasu, and Kira) said "Killing three or four (harvest beings) doesn't seem to do anything to Shigechi".

So then how come when Shigechi got his face blown in half, it only took one Harvest holding a (primed) coin to do that much damage?

If there's no real explanation and its just inconsistency, then no worries. But I feel like I missed something.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Maybe it was the core Harvest?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Morter posted:

Its a good thing that Diamond Is Not Crash was brought up because I was just reading it and something bugged me.

During the short span that Harvest debuted and then was summarily exploded, every time a few were killed, all users involved (Josuke/Okuyasu, and Kira) said "Killing three or four (harvest beings) doesn't seem to do anything to Shigechi".

So then how come when Shigechi got his face blown in half, it only took one Harvest holding a (primed) coin to do that much damage?

If there's no real explanation and its just inconsistency, then no worries. But I feel like I missed something.

The reason Shigechi's face get's disfigured is because he has his Harvest bring the primed coin close to his face right before Kira detonates it. If the Shigechi had been outside the blast radius he would have been unharmed.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Morter posted:

It's fine, you can say Diamond is Unbreakable now. Araki's officially redone that finally.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Speaking of weird things, how on earth did that Alternate Diego in SBR have a stand, anyway? It didn't seem like other worlds had any stands.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Probably the same reason Buff Valentine has D4C. In an infinite series of universes, there could be anything. Even a world where Dio isn't an rear end in a top hat, perhaps.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aurora posted:

Speaking of weird things, how on earth did that Alternate Diego in SBR have a stand, anyway? It didn't seem like other worlds had any stands.

Other worlds had stands, there was just only one Dirty Deeds Done 4 Cheap.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Even a world where Dio isn't an rear end in a top hat, perhaps.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I don't think we can just play with the rules of nature like that. Grass grows, birds fly, and Dio lights dogs/cripples on fire.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does the world with nice Dio have suited up Diavolo and his shadow is that fashion disaster?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Probably the same reason Buff Valentine has D4C. In an infinite series of universes, there could be anything. Even a world where Dio isn't an rear end in a top hat, perhaps.

Buff Valentine's is actually explained. There's actually only one D4C even across every alternate world, but it can get passed off, making that Valentine the True one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it ever made clear if the memories get passed off too, or is he dying everytime like in The Prestige?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RatHat posted:

Is it ever made clear if the memories get passed off too, or is he dying everytime like in The Prestige?

I don't think it's outright stated, but after D4C passed to a new Valentine, that Valentine instantly knew what had been happening in the 'original' universe. I think it's shown with the Valentine that came back after Dio and the previous Valentine were run over by the train, but it might have been shown when transferring to a later Valentine (the ones Gyro fought?).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morter posted:

It wasn't the killing the harvest that did it, it was the actual explosion. It was right next to him.

He could have tried having all his harvests cover the explosion with their bodies, but since that'd take like half his harvests he probably would have wound up in about the same situation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schubalts posted:

I don't think it's outright stated, but after D4C passed to a new Valentine, that Valentine instantly knew what had been happening in the 'original' universe. I think it's shown with the Valentine that came back after Dio and the previous Valentine were run over by the train, but it might have been shown when transferring to a later Valentine (the ones Gyro fought?).

It's straight up stated that the memories are transferred as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

It wasn't the killing the harvest that did it, it was the actual explosion. It was right next to him.

He could have tried having all his harvests cover the explosion with their bodies, but since that'd take like half his harvests he probably would have wound up in about the same situation.

Thought in that case the damage probably wouldn't have been situated specifically in his face. It would have been dispersed across his body probably making it more survivable.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Buff Valentine's is actually explained. There's actually only one D4C even across every alternate world, but it can get passed off, making that Valentine the True one.

I read one half of SBR a very long time ago...and finished it up recently. I don't remember when exactly the "buff" Valentine showed up. I thought it was a gradual thing rather than something instant. Can someone point around when non-fat Valentine(s) show up?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Morter posted:

I read one half of SBR a very long time ago...and finished it up recently. I don't remember when exactly the "buff" Valentine showed up. I thought it was a gradual thing rather than something instant. Can someone point around when non-fat Valentine(s) show up?

No, it's a sudden shift. The last time you see fat Valentine is when he steals the corpse at the end of the Civil War fight, and the next time you see him (with Lucy, in the scene where she gets found out), he's buff.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The real reason for the change, of course, is that Araki really likes drawing incredibly handsome men doing ridiculous poses and wearing ridiculous clothes, and Fatty Valentine only accomplished wearing ridiculous clothes of those three.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

No, it's a sudden shift. The last time you see fat Valentine is when he steals the corpse at the end of the Civil War fight, and the next time you see him (with Lucy, in the scene where she gets found out), he's buff.

No, Valentine is definitely on the chubbier side in that scene with Lucy. He only turns into Buffentine after Lucy stabs him and he disappears. Probably switched with a buffer version of himself at that time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
He seemed pretty buff when he was getting undressed in that scene, but yeah, the changeover is some point in Both Sides Now #2.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I seem to recall that earlier you see Fat Valentine hanging out with a version of himself that has a mustache and one that's buff. I don't think Araki settled on how exactly D4C worked until late in the series.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Valentine got super ripped at the same time the series switched to Ultra Jump. Plus the art style took a turn for the worse as well.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The art in monthlies for SBR looks really good, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I always thought that Valentine was fat because he had the corpse's parts inside him, once he released them he recovered his 'buffness' :v:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Ryaomon posted:

Valentine got super ripped at the same time the series switched to Ultra Jump. Plus the art style took a turn for the worse as well.

The manga switched to Ultra Jump in 2004 around chapter 22, ripped Valentine doesn't even appear until chapter 50 or so which was released in 2007.

Also the art is fantastic so I don't know what you're talking about.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I always thought that Valentine was fat because he had the corpse's parts inside him, once he released them he recovered his 'buffness' :v:
I don't understand how you could ever come to this conclusion when at least 3 different characters had corpse parts with them when fat Valentine was around, and buff Valentine only ever really shows up after he gets the parts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cerebral Bore posted:

No, Valentine is definitely on the chubbier side in that scene with Lucy. He only turns into Buffentine after Lucy stabs him and he disappears. Probably switched with a buffer version of himself at that time.

It's this. He swapped out with a buff version of himself.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ryaomon posted:

The only thing worse about it is the sameface in the spreads and promos. The actual manga art is fantastic.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

Other worlds had stands, there was just only one Dirty Deeds Done 4 Cheap.

It's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". The four refers to the fact that there are 4 D words. D4C.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Begemot posted:

I seem to recall that earlier you see Fat Valentine hanging out with a version of himself that has a mustache and one that's buff. I don't think Araki settled on how exactly D4C worked until late in the series.

You might just be thinking of his guards, but D4C does do some wacky stuff, so maybe. There's that whole part where Dio and Wekapipo think they shot Johnny because of dimensions overlapping or whatever. It settles down pretty quickly after that, though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

You might just be thinking of his guards, but D4C does do some wacky stuff, so maybe. There's that whole part where Dio and Wekapipo think they shot Johnny because of dimensions overlapping or whatever. It settles down pretty quickly after that, though.

That section confused me more than King Crimson ever did.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Stairmaster posted:

That section confused me more than King Crimson ever did.
D4C: It Just Works.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Just got up to part 4 a few days ago on my read-through.

God, I love this comic so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just finished my reading of part 4 a little while ago. I enjoyed it, apparently there are better scans out there? The only ones I could find were Duwang, so I just read those. They seemed charming in their own way though, anyway. I find the idea of a little town where everyone speaks a little oddly endearing. Is there anything these scans got blatantly wrong, though? The dialogue didn't really seem that in depth, and there wasn't really much of a plot, so it didn't feel like I was missing out on a whole lot by reading them.

• Locked thread