Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Mr Dog posted:

I hope EW at least doesn't make the early-game even more difficult because right now the only valid strategy is sat rush. Every single deviation I've tried from the golden build order screws things up really badly.

This is a pretty strong exaggeration. Satellite rushing (Uplink and 3+ satellites in the first month) is in no way required to beat the game, or even to beat the game without major issues.

Most classic games go just fine only getting one satellite up in the first month. Even impossible is doable this way. Most likely a few countries will leave, but that's not a problem.
Most games I play its not even possible since the first few missions come too late.
That said, its not a bad idea to set up the satellite rush. If it turns out not to be possible, just cancel the uplink / extra satellites, build the OTS earlier and go with it and things should be fine.
Its a good idea to aim for one uplink and max satellites each month after the first, although that's not strictly necessary either.

Probably more important for general success is just making sure you can build the OTS as soon as possible (usually late month 1) for the squad size upgrade, sat rush or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah on classic it's pretty easy to sat rush the first month and end the game with no countries lost if you just plan things out ahead of time. On impossible, rushing more than 1 satellite the first month I feel is kind of a waste because the OTS is such a huge help and chances are you're gonna have to sell off everything you have to get more than 1 satellite and it just doesn't feel worth it. On classic it's pretty easy to keep every country, on impossible I'm sure it's doable but I've never done it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know if they'll fix it but I still wish they would: if the only alien left is one you're controlling, it ought to count as dead for the purposes of the mission. Or stunned. I dunno, is that so much to ask? Failing that, the ability to manually destroy it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah that was really annoying me last time I played, enough that I just stopped using it no matter how useful it was.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, a thought: what if they updated the Anna Sing mission for Enemy Within? Sure, she's a scared survivor, the first and only abductee that has escaped and lived, but we could have a reason for that now: the aliens gene-modded her and she was able to use her super-jumping ability to escape!

Probably they won't do that, but it's fun to think about.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Dog posted:

Just managed a late-August victory with no countries lost, but a lot of dead rookies along the road.

gently caress it, we're here to save the world by any means necessary, they knew what they were signing up for :colbert:

No, they didn't. Rookies are told what they are signing up to, but only when they have seen the enemy and truly understand what this fight is about will they be promoted to Squaddie. Or at least that's what the soldiers in the barracks say to help them get through the day when they see how long the memorial wall is.

I'll admit I reload games like a motherfucker when I lose engagements, but it takes a lot for me to consider something "lost" (like a panic spiral with 2 Sectopods and a Cyberdisk revealed). I have done stuff like finish a Battleship with my last soldier at 1 HP (drat thing was a tomb for 4 soldiers, 2 of them psychic, and a SHIV) so I'll still rack up a very hefty death list. My last game was 28 on classic, and that's because I had some lucky missions. My barracks bar serves the strong stuff and doesn't charge.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's your SHIV preference: alloy or flying?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Speedball posted:

I prefer flying. They have a ton of fuel, about double what Archangel gives, and having a flying and super tough (and expendable) scout usually feels more worthwhile than a movable piece of low cover.

I usually bring SHIVs everywhere I can. But they are almost always a huge time and resource sink that get tge job done worse than a high level soldier. :(

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Zore posted:

I prefer flying. They have a ton of fuel, about double what Archangel gives, and having a flying and super tough (and expendable) scout usually feels more worthwhile than a movable piece of low cover.

I usually bring SHIVs everywhere I can. But they are almost always a huge time and resource sink that get tge job done worse than a high level soldier. :(

Plus you always have to move the alloy SHIVs first because for some reason the only way they count as half-cover is if the soldier meets them. So no moving a soldier out into the open for a flanking shot and then dashing the SHIV in front of them to provide cover. It's a very minor and situational gripe but I'd still like to see it fixed in EW. Also if there was a foundry project that allowed you to upgrade alloy SHIVs in to full cover that would make them so much more useful. As it stands right now, flying SHIVs are the way to go.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Speedball posted:

I've only ever used the SHIV once and that was the flying one. I think I tried to use it in the final mission with the theory, "can't mind control this guy so he should be a worthy asset!" He got stuck on some weird architecture half way through the map however and I couldn't use him after that.

Never seemed to be worth the cost to me. Yeah they're cheaper than losing a good soldier but they're nowhere near as effective and I've never felt them necessary to complete the game.

I'll be interested to see if they're any different in EW.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Speedball posted:

Alloy. Mobile Cover With Guns.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear by SHIVs. I don't use them all the time but often, especially any mission with a chance of mind-controlling enemies or chrysalids. A SHIV can't be turned into a zombie!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can you make a squad of 6 SHIVs? Probably not, but I'm loving the idea of your elite soldiers hanging back at HQ and knocking back drinks while playing remote-controlled bot-squad.

man, if there was an Arc-Thrower upgrade for the SHIV, that alone would give it a spot on my team almost every mission.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yes you can do an all shiv team.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's an EW achievement for using all SHIVs and MECs in one team. That ought to be fun.

…hurm, that Lone Wolf achievement is looking tempting, what would you guys do?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just used a SHIV for the first time. Took the hover variety into the Alien base. The guy was absolutely the star of the team, scouting for Squadsight head shots and tanking the Sectoid Commander so my support could get into position for a stun. Absolute champ. He was already augmented for plasma guns so he was doing as much as 11 damage, and he could suppress. There basically wasn't any situation I could throw him into that he couldn't fly out of.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Speedball posted:

There's an EW achievement for using all SHIVs and MECs in one team. That ought to be fun.

Psi Assault with mind shield and ghost armor.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Psi Assault with mind shield and ghost armor.

Pretty late-game, but I guess that's the only way to get all the goodies. I suppose this might involve copious amounts of mind control too right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Speedball posted:

Flying, but only slightly. Mostly due to the issues of getting an Alloy shiv over rough or vertical terrain. Though the fact that it's a flying brick that can pop up into the air and say "gently caress you" to aliens behind cover is also great.

ErKeL posted:

I've only ever used the SHIV once and that was the flying one. I think I tried to use it in the final mission with the theory, "can't mind control this guy so he should be a worthy asset!" He got stuck on some weird architecture half way through the map however and I couldn't use him after that.

Never seemed to be worth the cost to me. Yeah they're cheaper than losing a good soldier but they're nowhere near as effective and I've never felt them necessary to complete the game.

I'll be interested to see if they're any different in EW.

Yeah, that was less of a SHIV issue and more of the problem that "indoor" levels (alien base, mothership, etc.) have with flying stuff. Still understandable why it turned you off.

And while a SHIV isn't necessarily flexible compared to a high level soldier, they hit like trucks, can take hits like champs (at least the Alloy and Flying versions can) and you aren't going to cry if you lose one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speedball posted:

Start a game on classic where all the rookies but one group up and have unfortunate grenade accidents. Then use that one survivor to clear the first small scout for the achievement and then take it further and man mode the entire campaign. You might want to select a lower difficulty after the achievement to accommodate the fact that a single alien mob heavily out actions you per turn.

If you're going to do it, might as well go hog wild and have fun with it!

e: oh, and fire all those non heroes in the barracks after the first mission too. Can't have them getting in the way of our heroes glory now can we?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I really hope that Enemy Within will add some much needed buffs to SHIVs. I can barely justify the crew slot on the Skyranger compared to a high level soldier. My ideal game balance would probably be 6 grunts and one special slot for a SHIV (researched over the officer training school or maybe engineering).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

^^^ only buff I know of is there's an improved mobility option to develop in the Foundry.

Is there any reason to take Mayhem over Rocketeer with a Heavy?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 8, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

^^^ only buff I know of is there's an improved mobility option to develop in the Foundry.

Guaranteed damage finish to near death enemies with suppression. At least, for the heavies that took suppression over shredder rocket. Since It's been a long while since I, you know, PLAYED, I forget if this gave suppression the ability to more regularly destroy cover or if that's something my brain made up.

EDIT: According to the wiki, Danger zone stacks with Mayhem to allow freebie Suppression damage to tag adjacent targets.

As often as things were juuust our of rocket blast range, I kept grabbing Grenadier for MORE GRENADES. It also makes me sad that Danger Zone doesn't buff grenade radius.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 8, 2013

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lotish posted:

Depending on the difficulty it can make a rocket go from emergency cripple weapon to emergency killing weapon. I seem to recall it being required to 1 Shot mutons on impossible.
Also, it works really well with danger zone, giving several abilities a guaranteed flat amount of aoe damage. This is really useful for setting up captures because it can't crit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nope, that's your memory playing tricks, it's just a flat damage buff.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
The Mayhem doesn't provide AoE boosts, those are entirely contained within danger zone, although the two skills combo very nicely

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 8, 2013

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lotish posted:

Massive AOE and more damage on your rockets? It's a really good skill, try it out. It also gives suppression damage and a decent AOE, so you can suppress whole groups of enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alright. Bullet Swarm + Suppression + Danger Zone + Mayhem. Gonna try it out. Only the one rocket but it'll be a big one.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

Yeah on classic it's pretty easy to sat rush the first month and end the game with no countries lost if you just plan things out ahead of time. On impossible, rushing more than 1 satellite the first month I feel is kind of a waste because the OTS is such a huge help and chances are you're gonna have to sell off everything you have to get more than 1 satellite and it just doesn't feel worth it. On classic it's pretty easy to keep every country, on impossible I'm sure it's doable but I've never done it.

I am reasonably confident that it is not possible to save every country on Impossible. Certainly not consistently, even with obsessive save scumming.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hammerstein posted:

I really hope that Enemy Within will add some much needed buffs to SHIVs. I can barely justify the crew slot on the Skyranger compared to a high level soldier. My ideal game balance would probably be 6 grunts and one special slot for a SHIV (researched over the officer training school or maybe engineering).

SHIVs get a few upgrades they share with MECs through the foundry. Increased mobility, increased health and the ability to have better reaction shots (I think 2 per turn?). Not sure if there's anything else.

Of course MECs have a poo poo ton more utility and can be built to do everything a SHIV can do and more except fly.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Zore posted:

SHIVs get a few upgrades they share with MECs through the foundry. Increased mobility, increased health and the ability to have better reaction shots (I think 2 per turn?). Not sure if there's anything else.

Of course MECs have a poo poo ton more utility and can be built to do everything a SHIV can do and more except fly.

With MECs around SHIVs will still be like the fat kid that gets picked last at gym class.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

With MECs around SHIVs will still be like the fat kid that gets picked last at gym class.

Hey, they still can't be mind controlled. As long as that happens I will always gladly bring them along.

They also probably can't be strangled by the seekers.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
They're all mechanical. The seekers also appear all mechanical.

Might be a bit of robosassiness, you never know. They'll probably wish they were being strangled.

:huh:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
In EW are you able to kinetic punch other objects like cars? If so does this send them flying or do they just explode?

Coolest loving thing ever would be if you could kinetic punch a car straight at a bunch of mutons and follow it up with a rocket. Dr Vahlen can kiss my rear end, the most fun thing about X-Com is your soldiers doing their best to overkill anything that stands in their way.

I usually take 2-3 heavies with me just because I love blowing up several layers of cover just to kill a single sectoid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

They're all mechanical. The seekers also appear all mechanical.

Might be a bit of robosassiness, you never know. They'll probably wish they were being strangled.

:huh:

If Seekers can make SHIVs panic...

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mortabis posted:

I am reasonably confident that it is not possible to save every country on Impossible. Certainly not consistently, even with obsessive save scumming.

I have an Impossible save at the Invisoship plot point with no lost countries, massive save scumming but it can be done. Though it does require some luck with both when your first UFO shows up and where you get Abductions in the first 2 months.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

Hey, they still can't be mind controlled. As long as that happens I will always gladly bring them along.

They also probably can't be strangled by the seekers.

They'll still hit like trucks and be relatively cheap and disposable compared MECs, so I'll also build a few as well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
We're all neglecting the possibility that SHIVs will be able to panic, but it will be called "short circuiting" or "going haywire"! :v:

Although I don't honestly believe that'll happen, since that's like one of the two main selling points behind SHIVs.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zore posted:

SHIVs also get an upgrade that allows a free shot when the enemy gets close like that assault skill. Close quarters specialist, maybe? I also want to say they get something that gives them a free return shot when someone shoots them, but I might be confused with MECs there.

Regarding Mind Control, does your squad suffer the "buddy died" panic check when a MCed alien is killed? Obviously it would be dumb if they did, but XCOM has a few silly bugs.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Darkrenown posted:

Regarding Mind Control, does your squad suffer the "buddy died" panic check when a MCed alien is killed? Obviously it would be dumb if they did, but XCOM has a few silly bugs.
Yes, and your whole squad gets the Will penalty for the rest of the mission for the same reason. I don't use mind control that much but when I do, I always leave the guy out the open and overwatch bug him when he regains self-control. No shame in abusing the overwatch glitch to work around that bullshit.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to mod in an OTS upgrade to allow one/two SHIV(s) per squad in addition to the current squad size limitations and also increase enemy count and spawn sizes (four-five enemies in an activated/patrolling group) by a bit as well as the game progesses?

Welmu fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Anyone ever figured out why you can't shoot a mind controlled alien? Seems like a good thing to include when they're about to return to normal.

• Locked thread