Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kajeesus posted:

Preeetty sure that was a throwaway joke and not actually a real in-universe feat.

Have you been to the OOTS forums?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Clearly the reference to "craft disturbing mental image" was a clue to another homebrew prestige class, but what's the best way to figure out how many levels in it Empire of Blood Office Clerk #3 has exactly? Belkar had the "shocked" expression when he talked about him in episode #759, second page, panel 5, so there's got to be something to that.

I imagine there are some people who think this is humorous exaggeration.

To be rigorously fair there are plenty of people who are fine and not dreadful on the OOTS forums, but they're not the ones you notice, are they?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know what they think. I saw it listed in their "let's sperg out about the cast's character sheet using every single offhand comment made anywhere," but I also think they have the collective joke-getting ability of a men's rights enclave.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Clearly the reference to "craft disturbing mental image" was a clue to another homebrew prestige class, but what's the best way to figure out how many levels in it Empire of Blood Office Clerk #3 has exactly? Belkar had the "shocked" expression when he talked about him in episode #759, second page, panel 5, so there's got to be something to that.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Roland Jones posted:

Really, if he thought about it for a little while, he should realize that, what with everything that's happened so far, he can't be the main villain. Main villains don't have things like this happen to them. Going by his whole narrative thing, I mean.

That's only going to make him even angrier. He's literally planned his entire life, possibly since even before he was married and convincing his wife that children were a good idea, around going down in history as a legendary evil warlord.

Instead: The heroes are staying a scant half-step ahead of him; one of his sons betrayed him at a key moment, which not only screwed Tarquin but proved how poorly he raised Nale by the sheer gravity of the tactical error; his forces are being whittled down slowly by heroes who seem way too on top of their game for an encounter that's supposed to crush them and drive them into hiding so they can get stronger for the ultimate showdown; the empire he built with his own two hands is in very real danger of being historically notable for thriving in spite of being ruled by a dragon so stupid she's routinely bested in contests of wits with dinners that are being handfed to her; and his son is not only perfectly willing to play second banana to someone else, he seems happier that way. Evidence is stacking up that he's just not that important. For all the hard work he's put into being the biggest badass this side of Leeky Windstaff, the payoff is to be a distraction to the wrong hero's quest.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's only going to make him even angrier. He's literally planned his entire life, possibly since even before he was married and convincing his wife that children were a good idea, around going down in history as a legendary evil warlord.

Instead: The heroes are staying a scant half-step ahead of him; one of his sons betrayed him at a key moment, which not only screwed Tarquin but proved how poorly he raised Nale by the sheer gravity of the tactical error; his forces are being whittled down slowly by heroes who seem way too on top of their game for an encounter that's supposed to crush them and drive them into hiding so they can get stronger for the ultimate showdown; the empire he built with his own two hands is in very real danger of being historically notable for thriving in spite of being ruled by a dragon so stupid she's routinely bested in contests of wits with dinners that are being handfed to her; and his son is not only perfectly willing to play second banana to someone else, he seems happier that way. Evidence is stacking up that he's just not that important. For all the hard work he's put into being the biggest badass this side of Leeky Windstaff, the payoff is to be a distraction to the wrong hero's quest.

:golfclap: That's really well put. OOTS is shaping up to be quite the longform meditation on power, identity and control isn't it? Think about how people identify themselves by what they do or are seeking to do, how they control each other, how they manifest power.

I also think Rich is going to break our heart with Belkar. Snap it in loving two.

With Belkar.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 8, 2013

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

sebmojo posted:

With Belkar.

How could he not? He's been telling us all along he dies, gave him a new dimension to his character and spawned countless discussions about how Belkar could get out of it. How could it end any other way? It won't be tragic he died, it will be tragic because we knew all along he was going to die, and there wasn't anything that could be done about it. No gaming the system, no technicalities, just crushing inevitability.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I hope Belkar never dies. gently caress prophecies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah they suck as a narrative device in the vast majority of circumstances, including in this comic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Yeah they suck as a narrative device in the vast majority of circumstances,

yes but

quote:

including in this comic

what? Even ignoring every prophecy but Belkar's we have hundreds of strips of earned anticipation and dramatic irony as a result of a prophecy. How does that suck?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I really don't like prophecies either.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I only like prophecies that are vague and can be thwarted with enough effort. Absolutes are completely unsatisfying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

I only like prophecies that are vague and can be thwarted with enough effort. Absolutes are completely unsatisfying.

So you don't think the OOTS prophecies are working dramatically? Because I'd disagree very strongly but I'd be interested in hearing your argument.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 8, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

greatn posted:

I can not think of a single prophecy in fiction that is like this.

Like, unless the point is that the entire prophesy is a sham.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

There's an entire genre of tragedy that centers on the inevitability of fate, and the nevertheless noble (if doomed) struggle to try and escape it. Prophecies are only really unsatisfying if the characters in question give in and accept it, and thus lose agency.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sebmojo posted:

Even ignoring every prophecy but Belkar's we have hundreds of strips of earned anticipation and dramatic irony as a result of a prophecy. How does that suck?
You mean the tension that he might die, coming from situations where he might die, because things might kill him? Shockingly, the prophecy adds very little to that, beyond creating a dice roll in your head to determine if it's gone on long enough that 'well his time must be up now'.

Example - If you remove the prophecy poo poo from the Malack fight, do you fear less or more for Belkar? That sense of apprehension comes from the powerful opponent, not the fact a prophecy looms over him. The prophecy adds little more than a sense of immerse breaking and a bunch of internet arguments.

I'll take more 'oh gently caress is Belker going to die?' out of nowhere and less 'Oh, is this where Rich finally kills him?' as another encounter rolls by.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spiderdrake posted:

You mean the tension that he might die, coming from situations where he might die, because things might kill him? Shockingly, the prophecy adds very little to that, beyond creating a dice roll in your head to determine if it's gone on long enough that 'well his time must be up now'.

Example - If you remove the prophecy poo poo from the Malack fight, do you fear less or more for Belkar? That sense of apprehension comes from the powerful opponent, not the fact a prophecy looms over him. The prophecy adds little more than a sense of immerse breaking and a bunch of internet arguments.

I'll take more 'oh gently caress is Belker going to die?' out of nowhere and less 'Oh, is this where Rich finally kills him?' as another encounter rolls by.

It's more the character change actually. Plus the irony of how Belkar survived the Malack encounter when he really shouldn't have, plus the relationship with Mr Scruffy, 'we're gonna make it out, you and me', plus the way we saw how the party responded to his death in the illusionary dream, plus the knowledge that he's going to die and they're not going to rez him, plus the way he's getting his fondest dream with the dinosaur... All of that stuff, even if it doesn't depend on the prophecy, gains richness from the fact that the prophecy exists.

I mean if you're just autistically noting the threat level in each strip and checking whether the bit BELKAR_IS_DEAD has flipped yet, sure there's not much added. But I think you can go a bit deeper.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah the fact that we know for a fact that Belkar is doomed is what is making this character development he's getting a bit more dramatic. He's finally starting to improve as a person, when it's too late.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There was no survival based drama before the prophecy either. In the normal course of events I'd assume the PCs had plot armor. The question isn't "is this where they die?" but "I wonder how they'll get out of this one?" Even when Roy died there was no question that he'd be resurrected eventually, and now that we've seen that I wouldn't expect to see another PC die because it has been done.

Belkar's plot armor is gone. Replaced by dramatically equivalent plot anti-armor.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Angela Christine posted:

There was no survival based drama before the prophecy either. In the normal course of events I'd assume the PCs had plot armor. The question isn't "is this where they die?" but "I wonder how they'll get out of this one?" Even when Roy died there was no question that he'd be resurrected eventually, and now that we've seen that I wouldn't expect to see another PC die because it has been done.

Belkar's plot armor is gone. Replaced by dramatically equivalent plot anti-armor.

That's well put. You could also cf Elan's prophecy - it will end well for him. Of course we already knew the baddies weren't going to win, nearly every book ever written has that as an unspoken prophecy; but by promising us that Elan (and probably Haley) are going to survive, it puts everyone else in implicit jeopardy in a very sly way.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

"Yes - for you, at least" is pretty explicit, though still sly.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm trying to imagine Elan being happy without his best buddy Roy.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

ikanreed posted:

I'm trying to imagine Elan being happy without his best buddy Roy.

A happy ending for Elan doesn't necessarily need Elan to be alive to enjoy it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Belkar might be becoming a better person but he's also becoming a far less funny one, by this point I am okay with him dieing.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Cliff Racer posted:

Belkar might be becoming a better person but he's also becoming a far less funny one, by this point I am okay with him dieing.

If you have a problem with someone who named their dinosaur Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator, you may as well be dead inside and I don't know what else to say to you.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Point of order about prophecies: Durkon is, as of not long ago in the grand scheme of things, free to go home at any point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

He's literally planned his entire life, possibly since even before he was married and convincing his wife that children were a good idea, around going down in history as a legendary evil warlord.
The rest of your analysis is spot on, but I don't think he quite has. What he's planned his life around is being the bad guy who lives the high life at the top of an empire for years, until some hero comes along and defeats him but as he himself puts it, that's a few minutes of unpleasantness right at the end against decades of power, luxury and multiple wives. Going down in history as a legend is something he only realized would work out when Elan showed up on his doorstep. Now, though, he's gotten far too hung up on that to go back, and he can't imagine there might be a bigger story around than his. For all his talk about long-term plans and legendmaking Tarquin's downfall is coming because he doesn't think big enough.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

My Lovely Horse posted:

The rest of your analysis is spot on, but I don't think he quite has. What he's planned his life around is being the bad guy who lives the high life at the top of an empire for years, until some hero comes along and defeats him but as he himself puts it, that's a few minutes of unpleasantness right at the end against decades of power, luxury and multiple wives. Going down in history as a legend is something he only realized would work out when Elan showed up on his doorstep. Now, though, he's gotten far too hung up on that to go back, and he can't imagine there might be a bigger story around than his. For all his talk about long-term plans and legendmaking Tarquin's downfall is coming because he doesn't think big enough.

I'm not sure you really appreciate the scope of Tarquin's ego. Or his genre savvy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Raposa posted:

A happy ending for Elan doesn't necessarily need Elan to be alive to enjoy it.

He really seems like a guy who needs "...lived happily ever after" at the end of his story.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm not sure you really appreciate the scope of Tarquin's ego. Or his genre savvy.
Nah I mean he pretty much spells it out like that.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Buttass posted:

His genre savvy is wasted here because of that ego - he's gravely mistaken about whose story it is. He isn't the main villain, no matter how much he thinks he is. This is Roy's story, and Xykon is the main villain. Tarquin's just a side boss that's gotten too big for his britches, and the moment he realizes this it will all come crashing down.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Robviously posted:

If you have a problem with someone who named their dinosaur Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator, you may as well be dead inside and I don't know what else to say to you.

He might have named his tyrannosaur that but he also used it to save two annoying plot railroaders who were thirty seconds away from arrow induced, audience pleasing death.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Man, I'm on the other end. I hated Belkar early on and have only started to appreciate the character as he develops and his plot moves along. When the prophecy first said he would die my opinion was pretty much "I can't wait." While I'm still not a huge fan because he reminds me of too many bad PCs I've played with, Rich has succeeded in actually making me care a little by this point, and I was biting my nails at the vampire sequence.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

Man, I'm on the other end. I hated Belkar early on and have only started to appreciate the character as he develops and his plot moves along. When the prophecy first said he would die my opinion was pretty much "I can't wait." While I'm still not a huge fan because he reminds me of too many bad PCs I've played with, Rich has succeeded in actually making me care a little by this point, and I was biting my nails at the vampire sequence.

I was the same. I hated playing with these PCs, since I enjoy classic heroics, and couldn't wait for him to die. Now I'll be sad, since the guy actually has some nuance.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cliff Racer posted:

He might have named his tyrannosaur that but he also used it to save two annoying plot railroaders who were thirty seconds away from arrow induced, audience pleasing death.

What are you talking about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr Pepper posted:

Please do not engage the Cliff Racer, you will only find suffering there.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cliff Racer posted:

Are you seriously using railroad plot as a thing in a non-interactive narrative?

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
Burlew is all about awesome twists, so I still can't shake the feeling that Belkar's prophesied death is a red herring. It will happen, but it could happen after the story proper is all wrapped up. I'm not sure how many in-universe months left he has, but conceivably the plot could wrap up before then and Belkar's death could be part of the denouement, or even after that. It sets up the potential for a really awesome scene where it looks like he's killed during the final battle with Xykon, everyone cries because we all saw it coming, then at the critical moment, BAM he strikes out of nowhere for the victory.

Sort of a reverse-Gollum.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dr Pepper posted:

The bit where Belkar freed the dinosaur in the arena.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ZnCu posted:

I'm not sure how many in-universe months left he has
Think weeks. When Roy was freshly resurrected, he calculated around three weeks before the prophecy had to come true. But then, something like the last 100 comics happened in a single day so there's a bit of a discrepancy between "time actually passed" and "time we think has to have passed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Think weeks. When Roy was freshly resurrected, he calculated around three weeks before the prophecy had to come true. But then, something like the last 100 comics happened in a single day so there's a bit of a discrepancy between "time actually passed" and "time we think has to have passed".

Seven weeks, not three. At the time, he also thinks they can beat Xykon by then, but of course that was before the whole Tarquin arc started.