Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I refer to those ovens as "easy bake ovens." My ex had one at his apartment and he had to toss all his cookie sheets except one because the others wouldn't fit in the oven. It suited his bachelor lifestyle - who needs space to reheat burritos? You don't even need an oven at all to eat hummus with your fingers :3:

Repeat this to yourself over and over: Up and away, up and away. Counters are clear, not cluttered. Everything should be up and away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well we've finally moved into the new place. Strange that this kitchen is so much bigger, yet we can't fit all our stuff into the storage compartments, which we easily could in our old kitchen that was so small that we couldn't have a table in it. Still unpacking everything and trying to figure out the optimal placement for things.

View's nice though:

I can't understand how you have a decently sized fridge and a big sink, and a teeny tiny miniature stove.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't think that oven is very small, it's perfectly normal size to my eyes, probably 50-60cm wide, has four hot plates and standard baking sheets fit it. As for up and away, there's no more up, up's all filled up :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I don't think that oven is very small, it's perfectly normal size to my eyes, probably 50-60cm wide, has four hot plates and standard baking sheets fit it. As for up and away, there's no more up, up's all filled up :(

In the US, that's a pretty small stove/oven. I think the most common size in the US is 30", so about 76 cm. Your size is about a 24" stove, which while you find see them sometimes in the US, it's not the "standard" size.

You typically see ones like that in smaller apartments (studios, tiny one bedrooms, and I imagine they're more common in larger cities where space/apartments are at a premium.)

It's weird seeing one that size in a kitchen that otherwise looks large, and certainly has room for a larger stove.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I dunno what I'd do with a bigger stove to be honest. I get pretty large things in the oven and I got 4 hot plates, two sized to take my biggest pots or pans. Googled scandinavian standards and they come from 40 to 70cm wide, 60cm is by far the most popular.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Stove Talk.
Oven sizes are kind of all over the place in my city. One of the reasons why we are so pleased about the new place is the full-size stove. I would say about 2/3 of the apartments we looked at had the "easy bake oven". Sometimes it made sense, because the kitchen was extra tiny. Sometimes it was just there because it was probably cheaper for the landlord.

The current kitchen is tiny, but not excessively so. It has a full-size stove and a hood fan, and the tile floor extends out into a relatively large dining area. We're gonna host a board game night this weekend :3:

I really need to take some photos once all the boxes are cleared out.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The hood fan for my stove is not powerful enough and the steam is likely going to ruin my cupboards. Are there any temporary measures I could take (duct tape is an option I have considered) before I replace the unit (viva IKEA)?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A hood needs to vent outside to accomplish anything. Any recirculating hood is just going to blow air around within 1 cubic foot, accomplishing jack. What's up with your cabinets?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Trilineatus posted:

I refer to those ovens as "easy bake ovens." My ex had one at his apartment and he had to toss all his cookie sheets except one because the others wouldn't fit in the oven.

How big were these cookie sheets? The absolute biggest I've found just by Googling were 18" x 24", and even those should still fit in a 50cm x 60cm oven.

Well I dunno what I'd do with a bigger stove to be honest. I get pretty large things in the oven and I got 4 hot plates, two sized to take my biggest pots or pans. Googled scandinavian standards and they come from 40 to 70cm wide, 60cm is by far the most popular.

Back in South Africa (and for that matter the UK), pretty much all our stoves (except for those of very rich people) were 50-60cm. Here are some examples. I'm pretty sure the one we had at home was 50cm, and my mother used to cook a full Christmas dinner in it, with ham, turkey, potatoes and everything. I've baked pizzas, cakes and all manner of things in it with no difficulty. When I came to North America I was astonished that everyone had such oversized ovens, and I figured it was for jumbo-sized turkeys or something.

Content, though: We have moved. On Friday I took the day off work and went to Ikea to buy our newer, nicer and more compact stuff, wrestling with 130kg of packages, but fortunately they were able to home deliver on Saturday while we were moving. My wife got off work at 2, and we packed until midnight.

The movers came at 9:30 on Saturday, and despite reeking of weed and cigarette smoke, did a pretty good job, finishing loading and unloading in almost exactly two hours. We then unpacked and built Ikea furniture virtually non-stop other than eating and sleeping until sometime on Sunday night. We managed, however, to unpack everything, and to get the place about 90% how we'd like it to be. We still need to hang pictures, put up some shelves and towel racks, and get a few more storage boxes to tuck things away.

Also, holy poo poo does the place look nice. Our old place had a definite furnished-from-Craigslist/starving student vibe to it, whereas our current setup looks really classy. The change from lovely carpets with rising damp to hardwood floors with proper insulation underneath is enormous, plus the place is so well insulated that it stays warm almost on its own.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How big were these cookie sheets? The absolute biggest I've found just by Googling were 18" x 24", and even those should still fit in a 50cm x 60cm oven.
Even if "50cm x 60cm" is inside dimensions of the oven, 60cm is slightly smaller than 24", so it wouldn't fit. I assume they're actually outside measurements (so you know what size to buy to fit a hole in your counter) so inside it's even smaller.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Back in South Africa (and for that matter the UK), pretty much all our stoves (except for those of very rich people) were 50-60cm. Here are some examples. I'm pretty sure the one we had at home was 50cm, and my mother used to cook a full Christmas dinner in it, with ham, turkey, potatoes and everything. I've baked pizzas, cakes and all manner of things in it with no difficulty. When I came to North America I was astonished that everyone had such oversized ovens, and I figured it was for jumbo-sized turkeys or something.

That's so funny. My parents used to have the best oven ever . They recently updated their kitchen and switched to a flat-top stove which everyone agrees sucks.

Anyway it was a two part oven. There was a small oven on one side that was pretty much the size of the ones you posted about, then the other side was a full-sized oven about twice the size of the small one. It was so convenient to have two ovens; the small one was nice if you just wanted to heat up some chicken strips or something small.

Now my Grandma has that stove and it's really nice when we have Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners over there.

But yeah there's no way a standard sized cookie sheet could fit in the small part. The half-sized ones fit perfectly, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

razz posted:

That's so funny. My parents used to have the best oven ever . They recently updated their kitchen and switched to a flat-top stove which everyone agrees sucks.

They are good for one thing and one thing only: cleaning. It's really easy to clean a flat-top stove.

But they are terrible at cooking. They're an electric, so you've already got issues with taking a while to get to full temp, less precise temperature control vs. seeing an actual flame, and impossible to go as fast from a high to low heat. And then ON TOP OF THAT you have this glass layer on top of the actual electric element, so the heating up/switching temp issues are magnified.

In apartment news re: me, my BRAND NEW, HOLY poo poo I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW EXPENSIVE REAL FURNITURE IS couch arrived today. Took a long lunch to go home for the delivery guys. I felt bad because I forgot my wallet at work, so I didn't have any cash to tip them, especially since it took a while since they had a couple failed attempts to bring it in the front hallway before having to give up and haul it all the way around the building to bring it in the back door through the kitchen.

It's not as cushion-y soft as I remember in the store, but I imagine that's because the floor model has been there a few years and had a lot of butts sit on it, breaking it in.

Still, it'll be nice to take it for it's first full night of lounging this evening as I watch the World Series.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

DrBouvenstein posted:

They are good for one thing and one thing only: cleaning. It's really easy to clean a flat-top stove.

But they are terrible at cooking. They're an electric, so you've already got issues with taking a while to get to full temp, less precise temperature control vs. seeing an actual flame, and impossible to go as fast from a high to low heat. And then ON TOP OF THAT you have this glass layer on top of the actual electric element, so the heating up/switching temp issues are magnified.

I agree. The temperature control is my main beef with flat-top stoves. They to seem to only have one temperature - on and off. So when you have it on medium, it just cycles between on and off which SUCKS if you're interested in doing anything besides boiling water.

Plus I can't use my awesome heavy giant cast iron skillets on flat top stoves because I'd scratch or otherwise bust it somehow.

Flat top stoves are one of those modern "upgrades" that supposedly make your life "easier" but they do it by severely limiting what you can do with them compared with a traditional stove with the metal coils.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

razz posted:

Plus I can't use my awesome heavy giant cast iron skillets on flat top stoves because I'd scratch or otherwise bust it somehow.
I have a glass top and use cast iron on it all the time. I also find it hard to clean and it works fine for cooking (although I'd prefer gas) so I guess my findings are the opposite of everyone else in the thread. :iiam:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a flat cooktop and cast iron cookware. It's fine if you're not slamming your pans down on it like a caveman or whatever.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Haha! Yeah I know you *can* use cast iron on them but I'm pretty sure I am a caveman cooker. I've dropped cast iron on my regular stove before and dented it. My mom flipped out one time when I use my tiny 5-inch cast iron on her flat-top stove. I just can't stand to use my parents' lovely Teflon pans!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Erwin posted:

I also find it hard to clean

I have one too. I think my 12 year old TRIES to burn food into it to see what kind of a mess he can make. I don't own mine, though, so I scratch the crap out of it and don't care. Horrible to clean.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Any advice on a cross country move? I'm moving from Dallas to Chicago around Thanksgiving. I have some furniture I'm not super attached to but would like to not have to repurchase, an expensive bike, and an obscene amount of books. I think I can probably take most of my clothes with me in my car, which I'm driving up myself.

EDIT: I just called Upack and they can move my stuff (1 cube worth) for a little under $400. You have to ask for "terminal to terminal" to get a rate that cheap. You also have to figure out how you're going to get your things to/from the terminal, which is kind of a pain in the rear end, but this is way, way less than the $1500 PODS was quoting me, so.

taco show fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 2, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

taco show posted:

Any advice on a cross country move? I'm moving from Dallas to Chicago around Thanksgiving. I have some furniture I'm not super attached to but would like to not have to repurchase, an expensive bike, and an obscene amount of books. I think I can probably take most of my clothes with me in my car, which I'm driving up myself.

EDIT: I just called Upack and they can move my stuff (1 cube worth) for a little under $400. You have to ask for "terminal to terminal" to get a rate that cheap. You also have to figure out how you're going to get your things to/from the terminal, which is kind of a pain in the rear end, but this is way, way less than the $1500 PODS was quoting me, so.
You'd probably have to use a moving truck on both ends, so you'll want to factor that into your cost (not to mention the time spent packing the truck, unpacking the truck and packing the UPack, then doing it twice again on the other end).

I didn't move as far as you did (only 800 miles), but before I moved I donated all of my books to the local library, and I'm super-glad I did. You should keep in mind that your place in Chicago is likely to be smaller than your place in Dallas, so don't plan on having the same amount of floor space.

marb
Oct 21, 2010
I share a property with smokers - they live in the basement, and I live on the second floor. It is a house, so the HVAC is shared. My main goal is that all of my possessions don't end up smelling like smoke. My strategy when the weather was warmer was to simply seal off my heat vent, keep my door closed and my windows often open. This worked well. However, now it is colder and I actually need the hot air from the vent, which seems like its being pumped directly from their apartment.

My question is whether putting a carbon filter over my vent would have any chance of eliminating the odour? I'm thinking something along the lines of this. Does anybody have any experience or ideas?

I'm not too concerned about the smoke from a health point, just really dislike the odour on my clothing, furniture and bedding.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

taco show posted:

Also seconding the cross-country advice question:

I'm planning a move cross-country with my girlfriend from Cincinnati to Seattle around June or July of next year. I was expecting to use PODS since I am loathe to the idea of carting my life's belongings all the way there via truck and would rather spend more to make the process as painless and frustration-free as possible.

Long story short, have others had a favorable experience using PODS?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

marb posted:

I share a property with smokers - they live in the basement, and I live on the second floor. It is a house, so the HVAC is shared. My main goal is that all of my possessions don't end up smelling like smoke. My strategy when the weather was warmer was to simply seal off my heat vent, keep my door closed and my windows often open. This worked well. However, now it is colder and I actually need the hot air from the vent, which seems like its being pumped directly from their apartment.

My question is whether putting a carbon filter over my vent would have any chance of eliminating the odour? I'm thinking something along the lines of this. Does anybody have any experience or ideas?

I'm not too concerned about the smoke from a health point, just really dislike the odour on my clothing, furniture and bedding.

1 - Move.
2 - Make them move.
3 - At least ask them to smoke outside.
4 - Lock a live skunk in their car and pound on the windows for 30 minutes. When they complain, remind them that turnabout is fair play. Repeat weekly until they get the idea (you will probably need fresh skunks).

The Mayo Clinic says you're pretty much out of luck, but you might be able to find some decent mitigation strategies.

Tobacco smoke is nasty stuff and it takes serious doing to get it out or keep it out of your space. I used the Accumulair versions of those carbon filters to clean up after the previous owner of my place, and they're incredibly good at getting the odor out of the air once the smoking has stopped, but nothing (not even giant fuckoff 3"-thick hospital-grade filters) will stop smoke on the first pass, not while there's a fresh and constant supply being pushed through. Change them regularly and you'll probably get some decent reduction; just be aware that the problem will not disappear.

Ionizers will make it worse - they'll get the smoke out of the air, but only by forcing it to stick to everything.

Ozone generators are irritants all on their own and are at best slightly less than useless, but you might use them in combination with the filters to get things down to an acceptable level.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 6, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You might want to just start smoking yourself, at least that way you'll get the benefits of nicotine while you're dealing with all the lovely parts of the habit.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Also seconding the cross-country advice question:

I'm planning a move cross-country with my girlfriend from Cincinnati to Seattle around June or July of next year. I was expecting to use PODS since I am loathe to the idea of carting my life's belongings all the way there via truck and would rather spend more to make the process as painless and frustration-free as possible.

Long story short, have others had a favorable experience using PODS?

I'll third the request for advice; I'm prepping for a move from upstate NY to California. Definitely going to hire a company to move all my stuff, because I'll be doing the transition in early January and I really don't want to deal with a cross country drive through the midwest in the middle of January with a cat in the cab of the truck with me.

Ideally I'd be able to hire a moving company to shift all of my stuff and also my car; any recommendations?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I recently did move from Seattle to Austin and for those of you planning on using movers just a heads up, it is expensive. Pods are massively cheaper. If you use movers, and actually want to insure your stuff, they will also expect to be the ones packing it, and it drives the cost up like crazy. Our quotes were all 10K+ to move. Shipping your car is 1-2k too. We ended up driving a 26' truck ourselves and while I don't really recommend it, it was a nightmare, it was dramatically cheaper.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
For cross-country moves especially, getting rid of stuff drives down your cost and trouble tremendously. So, get rid of stuff. Consider if you will ever look at most of those physical copies of books you own again, and consider if buying a Kindle and the ones you really do want might not be cheaper than shipping them.

Same goes with furniture; it's probably time for a new bed, anyhow.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I'm looking for a brown leather sofa (or sectional) for my living room and I'm starting with Craigslist, because I'd rather see my cat claw up a <$500 secondhand sofa than a brand new $6.5k Resto sofa. I'd still like it to hold up and break in nicely, so I'm passing on bonded leather. I haven't spent a lot of time around bonded/Renu leathers though, do you guys have any tips for spotting it? Will I be able to immediately feel the difference?

(...and if you happen to know someone in Boston selling a decent brown leather couch, let me know!)

marb posted:

I share a property with smokers - they live in the basement, and I live on the second floor. It is a house, so the HVAC is shared. My main goal is that all of my possessions don't end up smelling like smoke.

Politely asking them to smoke outdoors is totally reasonable here, especially if there's a covered area like a porch for them to smoke on.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

For cross-country moves especially, getting rid of stuff drives down your cost and trouble tremendously. So, get rid of stuff. Consider if you will ever look at most of those physical copies of books you own again, and consider if buying a Kindle and the ones you really do want might not be cheaper than shipping them.

Same goes with furniture; it's probably time for a new bed, anyhow.

This is true too. The movers we talked with all charged by weight, so the more you can cut down the less you spend. It also means you might be able to make some good savings by getting rid of some heavier, crappy furniture or items you considered replacing. We had, unfortunately, just recently bought pretty much brand new everything so the value proposition of rebuying just wasn't there.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

demozthenes posted:

I'm looking for a brown leather sofa (or sectional) for my living room and I'm starting with Craigslist, because I'd rather see my cat claw up a <$500 secondhand sofa than a brand new $6.5k Resto sofa.

FWIW to you and anyone else with cat scratching issues, I bought this for my cat a few months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OJ8BXK/

She scratches the everloving poo poo out of that now, and absolutely nothing else. It's a nice color (not that crappy beige carpet poo poo), heavy/sturdy enough to withstand a lot of activity, and she sleeps on it every night as well. YMMV but it's the best pet item I've ever purchased.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I've received a job offer from a school in Peoria, IL. Since I live in the Chicago area I'll have to move which is really scary to be taking this big, huge step kind of suddenly (I left that interview pretty sure they weren't interested). The school obviously wants me to start as soon as possible but understands I will be uprooting my life to move there and will need time. Do any goons live in that area and know what areas I should avoid or maybe look for? I'm fine with commuting some to the school, so it does not have to be like right in the city limits or whatever. I've started reading through this thread to figure out the steps I need to take since this is all new to me but any extra advice is always appreciated.

The school is not a super glamorous one, but I am excited none the less. I've been thinking that maybe a place with a 6 month lease would be good for me just on the off chance I feel that it isn't a good fit. That way I wouldn't be breaking lease if I decided at the end of the year not to renew my contract for whatever reason.

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 8, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm trying to work out some stuff with our electric bill, and it would be kind of useful to know where most people fall. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with gas heat, hot water, and oven. So the electric is only doing duty on our appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, computer) and other standard stuff. As of 11/5 we were using 14.6kWh a day, and that seems kind of high to me (and, the reason for my concern, is that it's up from 13.5kWh last month and 8.2kWh last year. Does anyone know their use to give me a comparison?

We have had some meaningful changes since last year - new computer, new microwave, and our kid is bigger so I suspect we're doing more laundry - but I can't work out why it jumped from just last month.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I'm trying to work out some stuff with our electric bill, and it would be kind of useful to know where most people fall. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with gas heat, hot water, and oven. So the electric is only doing duty on our appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, computer) and other standard stuff. As of 11/5 we were using 14.6kWh a day, and that seems kind of high to me (and, the reason for my concern, is that it's up from 13.5kWh last month and 8.2kWh last year. Does anyone know their use to give me a comparison?

We have had some meaningful changes since last year - new computer, new microwave, and our kid is bigger so I suspect we're doing more laundry - but I can't work out why it jumped from just last month.

I use about 25kWh a day in my large 1bd, but I live in Florida, land of the always-running air conditioner.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

I use roughly 6kWh(sometimes creeping up to 8kWh if I have the AC on constantly) a day, but I'm in a 1bd where the only major appliances are my fridge, microwave, electric stove/oven, and computer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone have bug problems in their apartment? I do, and I've talked to the landlord about it, and the bug guy will come up and do some stuff, and it will end up as "well you should clean better." But I've been exactly as messy in another unit on the other side of the building and didn't have any problems. Also I have bugs in the bathroom, bugs coming out of the kitchen sink, and bugs in the closet where the cat food is. So I don't think it's my fault, and the fault of their being an infestation on this side of the building. So I guess I'm wondering what I should do? My landlord's a really reasonable guy and we don't have an adversarial relationship so I don't want to push him into becoming an adversary.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
You should clean your apartment. It may actually help, people will enjoy being over more, and it will show the landlord that you respected his suggestion enough to try it, if it doesn't actually help.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Are you keeping your cat food in an airtight container, or just in the bag? New storage for the cat food might help with the bug problem in the closet, if you're not already keeping it sealed away.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks guys. It sounds like we aren't in crazy town, but it still bugs me that I don't know what the jump is from. Looks like I am going to have to detective it and maybe get one of those plug-in tracker things. Meh.

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone have bug problems in their apartment? I do, and I've talked to the landlord about it, and the bug guy will come up and do some stuff, and it will end up as "well you should clean better." But I've been exactly as messy in another unit on the other side of the building and didn't have any problems. Also I have bugs in the bathroom, bugs coming out of the kitchen sink, and bugs in the closet where the cat food is. So I don't think it's my fault, and the fault of their being an infestation on this side of the building. So I guess I'm wondering what I should do? My landlord's a really reasonable guy and we don't have an adversarial relationship so I don't want to push him into becoming an adversary.

What are 'bugs'? I mean, are these ants? Cockroaches? Flies? It makes a pretty big difference (for instance, flies are going to be a problem with your apartment, where cockroaches can easily be a buildingwide issue, and ants might actually be external and just creeping in).

Cleaning better may not solve the problem, but it can only help. And, very importantly, it shows your landlord that you are taking your responsibility with the issue seriously. Even if the problem is a colony somewhere else in the building, if your place is a mess it makes it look like you want him to do everything. So, make sure your food is sealed up, and clean your kitchen and bathroom thoroughly. You can use some drain cleaner if you think you have stuff in the drains. If you are still having problems, then you can call your landlord again - if he comes over and sees your place gleaming clean with no food to tempt the bugs and your sink is still filled with scorpions (or whatever) you are much more likely to get him to take action.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, our toilet tank has been slow-leaking onto the floor for the past week because of a faulty seal or something :v:

They're supposed to send a second(!) plumber to check it out today, but it's really stressing me out. We only own like 5 towels; I couldn't shower today because they're all soaked with toilet water. My girlfriend is going berserk every morning, like there's anything I can do about it at 6 AM.

I've made it pretty clear that I need it fixed today, but I feel like there's not really anything I can do about it if they don't :negative:

...the first plumber stole my lighter.

I've had people tell me to report my landlord to the city because it's water-related, but I dunno if that's bullshit, and also I don't want to become the tenant that they hate. Any advice?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They're roaches of some kind I think, certainly not flies or ants. I agree I should keep things cleaner, I'm just wondering what's a reasonable level? Obviously dirty dishes into the dishwasher, no food left on the counter, but how far do I go from there? Should I rinse off every dish after every meal to make sure there are zero food particles? Every single dry good in a resealable plastic container?

I just don't want to end in some endless spiral where it's always my fault because it's not clean enough since you can't perform surgery inside my toilet bowl or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I've had people tell me to report my landlord to the city because it's water-related, but I dunno if that's bullshit, and also I don't want to become the tenant that they hate. Any advice?
Do you think your landlord is actually trying to fix it? If so, trying to put fear into them isn't really going to help. If you think they are screwing around and not taking you seriously you can try complaining to the department of sanitation, or whoever covers habitability in your area. But if he's already working on in, it'll probably just piss him off.

If the tank has a continuous leak, I am not sure why you are sopping it up with towels. Can you put a bucket or something down to catch the drip instead? If not, you should have a way to turn off water to your toilet at the wall. Just turn it off and let the tank drain so you don't have a constant problem. I know what you're thinking, but you can flush a toilet by pouring water directly into the bowl - it's just easier and more efficient when fed from the tank. Just get a big pitcher, fill it from the sink or bath, and pour it in.

FISHMANPET posted:

They're roaches of some kind I think, certainly not flies or ants. I agree I should keep things cleaner, I'm just wondering what's a reasonable level? Obviously dirty dishes into the dishwasher, no food left on the counter, but how far do I go from there? Should I rinse off every dish after every meal to make sure there are zero food particles? Every single dry good in a resealable plastic container?

I just don't want to end in some endless spiral where it's always my fault because it's not clean enough since you can't perform surgery inside my toilet bowl or something like that.
If they are little roaches, they are probably German roaches. Unfortunately they eat just about everything and do infest buildings. It's very possible that they are just moving around in the building, basically going down a level when your landlord treats your unit and coming back when its done.

I have no idea what your place looks like, but you should basically be cleaning it to a standard where your parents/grandparents/whatever wouldn't look aghast at it. Store food in the fridge or in sealed containers (no open snacks out) and wipe down your counters, put stuff in the dishwasher and take out your trash regularly. Most importantly, make sure it's extra clean when your landlord is coming to look at the issue. It doesn't matter if it's clean 95% of the time if you have a ton of stuff in the sink and some meat on the counter when he walks in, that's what he's going to think you do all the time. Buy some roach hotels, too.

I would suggest getting everything clean and putting out your own traps and if that doesn't help, call him and show him what you have done, and ask him to get an exterminator in to look at it seriously.

Does he own the whole building, or just your unit? If he can't get the whole area to clean up you might just be screwed.