Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I feel like Video Games Awesome has their ups and downs, but man their GTA Online show was brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM8FViWVYoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.

Lazyfire posted:

Imagine a world where PewDiePie got big enough that adults watched and liked his videos. You're walking down the hall at work and you can hear two people quoting his latest episode and you just want the world to burn.

I currently go to college in a class where about every student is a PDP fan. This can barely even describe the hatred I feel. I've seen things man :psyduck:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
^Does that mean your campus center or whatever host PDP marathons for students?

The Evil Thing posted:

People actually type/say "lol" when they are actually laughing? I thought it was just a way of telling someone that you acknowledge they made a joke (even if it wasn't necessarily enough to make them literally laugh).

The meanings of a lot of textspeak have become diluted. Among my friends 'lmao' and 'rofl' mean you got maybe a slight chuckle or smirk out of them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ramengank posted:

The meanings of a lot of textspeak have become diluted. Among my friends 'lmao' and 'rofl' mean you got maybe a slight chuckle or smirk out of them.

Lol means "I can't be bothered to come up with a response, but I feel I should post one."

Seshoho Cian posted:

I feel like Video Games Awesome has their ups and downs, but man their GTA Online show was brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM8FViWVYoQ

I don't understand why these people seem to get so much positive feedback on these forums. Their gimmick of covering 90% of the screen with unnecessary, overproduced distractions is the worst kind of horseshit, and I personally find them and their chatter even less stomachable than goddamn PDP.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 9, 2013

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

I don't understand why these people seem to get so much positive feedback on these forums. Their gimmick of covering 90% of the screen with unnecessary, overproduced distractions is the worst kind of horseshit, and I personally find them and their chatter even less stomachable than goddamn PDP.

I just want Fraser to play Dark Souls. Cause he's going to be bad at it and he'll blame the game every step of the way and it'll be hilarious.

But yeah, otherwise they are piss.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
^Sorry but that doesn't sound funny either. I guess I'm just not a fan of people cussing out video games every time something goes wrong.

steinrokkan posted:

I opened that GTA Online video and, having never seen them before, am wondering why there's a chatlog full of noise and a stuffed toy sitting with these 5 people. I didn't actually watch enough to see if these people did anything interesting, so if they're just sitting there on the couch and talking why are they there? I just reached a part of the video where they asked about icons on a minimap. The minimap is completely obscured by the player and guests and the title of the game (which is present the whole video, and is behind the people so it's not visible either :psyduck:). What I heard of the commentary in this video seems mostly inoffensive, aside from there probably being too many people.

Take out one or two commentators or make the chatter flow better, and show me the whole game screen, and I'd probably watch it.

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 9, 2013

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Forgall posted:

I just want Fraser to play Dark Souls. Cause he's going to be bad at it and he'll blame the game every step of the way and it'll be hilarious.

But yeah, otherwise they are piss.

I'm sure it will turn out something like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suV2wJ0K3s8

And yes, there are more where these came from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Singh Long posted:

I'm sure it will turn out something like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suV2wJ0K3s8

And yes, there are more where these came from.

I was just thinking of this guy reading the above posts.

It is funny, just in a different way. It's not supposed to be funny, but you laugh at it, not with it, at it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

steinrokkan posted:

Lol means "I can't be bothered to come up with a response, but I feel I should post one."

It's worth it to watch their Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls playthroughs just to see how much they rag on David Cage.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

HGH posted:

Speaking of Minecraft, I figured this was the best place to ask, but how the hell did the Yogcast ever get popular? I tried to watch some of their stuff because everyone can't stop singing their praises but it felt unbearably unfunny, obnoxious, or flat out boring. What exactly am I missing here?

The problem with the Yogscast is that whenever they do anything remotely interesting in Minecraft, they eventually try to shoehorn some weird back story into it. I get that there needs to be something since it's an open-ended game with no story at all but gently caress, things like Shadows of Israphel got really, really dumb after a while.

That being said I could watch Sips all goddamn day, there's just something about his videos that are just soothing as hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roar posted:

The problem with the Yogscast is that whenever they do anything remotely interesting in Minecraft, they eventually try to shoehorn some weird back story into it. I get that there needs to be something since it's an open-ended game with no story at all but gently caress, things like Shadows of Israphel got really, really dumb after a while.

That being said I could watch Sips all goddamn day, there's just something about his videos that are just soothing as hell.

Did you grow up in the eighties/nineties?

Do you like tangential references to pop culture from that era?

Are you the person in your family that doesn't get invited to weddings because of your moderately sleazy fascination with grubby jokes?

If so, this is the channel for you.

He's like some weird combination of ricky gervais and whoever writes the material for the simpsons.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 10, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

OwlFancier posted:

Did you grow up in the eighties/nineties?

Do you like tangential references to pop culture from that era?

Are you the person in your family that doesn't get invited to weddings because of your moderately sleazy fascination with grubby jokes?

If so, this is the channel for you.

He's like some weird combination of ricky gervais and whoever writes the material for the simpsons.

I think the appeal of Sips is that he can think on his feet relatively well when it comes to branching out his commentary (go look at his Towns videos) and it keeps thing interesting. The major issue is that he gets so caught up in the commentary he forgets how to play games. He nearly starved to death in Don't Starve thinking that something was hitting him, for example. I really can't watch him at this point because he just travels to Narnia on his comments to such an extend the gameplay becomes either boring or terrible almost every video.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I think the appeal of Sips is that he can think on his feet relatively well when it comes to branching out his commentary (go look at his Towns videos) and it keeps thing interesting. The major issue is that he gets so caught up in the commentary he forgets how to play games. He nearly starved to death in Don't Starve thinking that something was hitting him, for example. I really can't watch him at this point because he just travels to Narnia on his comments to such an extend the gameplay becomes either boring or terrible almost every video.

I... guess? He can certainly blather on over just about anything, but like I said, it seems to be almost always either slightly creepy jokes, 'awkward-funny' style stuff like The Office (or anything ricky gervais ever does) or constant 80's pop culture references.

He seems less like an LPer and more like some sort of bizzare savant who is kind of obsessed with the 80's and sexual innuendo, and likes talking about it over videogames.

Edit: On the plus side he is markedly better at the games he plays than Lewis, Duncan, or Simon. He isn't very good at them, but he's still better than they are.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

80's 80's 80's

Yo, don't be dissin' the 80's dawg! There was some incredibly tubular poo poo come from that decade! The big hair, and the bigger music was all fantastic! Journey, Foreigner, Boston, ELO, Def Leppard, on and on the list goes for great music that popped up from these bands in that decade! of course it had some really weird poo poo as well, so I guess it balances out.

What's this have to do with Let's Play? gently caress all, and why somebody would choose to rant about it in an LP video that doesn't revolve around 80's culture is a mystery, but even though it may not make for good commentary in the least, YouTube has proven one thing, there's a myriad of other junk out there that's ten times worse.

Back on the loose track this thread is based on, Yogscast and the like just seemed to be at the top, of a long list of boring Minecraft LPers. While I can't speak for anybody but myself, Minecraft is an incredibly boring game after the first hour (tops), and all LPs of it are the same caliber...save for CrumblingCenturion's LP video. But even that wears thin after 10 minutes or so...so basically, gently caress it.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

David D. Davidson posted:

It's both, YOG stands for Ye Old Goon.

Yeah they were in the World of Warcraft EU Goon Squad, which was called "Ye Olde Goone Squade" (commonly abbreviated as "YOGS"). Honeydew was a enjoyable enough as a human paladin, an opinion that did not translate into watching any of their YouTube videos

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kudos to Game Grumps for actually making a couple of Ouya games look fun.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I don't know if the thread's brought him up before because I don't really care, but who the hell is Smosh and how come his videos keep showing up as "Featured" on my recommended list in Youtube?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They're a sketch comedy channel that got popular when they uploaded a video of somebody puking into a toilet and they remixed it into a song.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

They're a sketch comedy channel that got popular when they uploaded a video of somebody puking into a toilet and they remixed it into a song.

If I recall they were alzo the most subbed Youtube channel until PDP took over not too long ago. They also launched a gaming channel because everyone has one so why not?

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.

Ramengank posted:

^Does that mean your campus center or whatever host PDP marathons for students?
They have marathons to see who can render Minecraft videos in Windows Movie Maker the fastest.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I watched the LP they did for Viewtiful Joe recently, and thought it was okay. There are problems with it: their commentary drowns out the game audio, and don't really show off any of the side content. However, they manage to play the game pretty well. Looking at how it was uploaded, it seems like they played through the whole game in a single sitting.

The other problem they have is that their commentary tends to go off-track, away from the game and onto other subjects. I don't really have a problem with it, but I can see how that could be kind of irksome.

This is an understatement, their conversations tend to go way the gently caress off track most of the time.
I still enjoy watching them though, because they seem to possess levels of videogame knowledge I'd only seen with Chip, and they never fail to give me a good laugh for 20-30 minutes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Kudos to Game Grumps for actually making a couple of Ouya games look fun.

Yeah The Amazing Frog? video actually made me start to laugh out loud, although the same happened when Men Drinking Coffee did it too so it might just be the game.

Lazyfire posted:

If I recall they were alzo the most subbed Youtube channel until PDP took over not too long ago. They also launched a gaming channel because everyone has one so why not?

Gaming channels are pretty much an excuse to produce poo poo content, it was so nice when JonTron left Game Grumps and started producing scripted content again since the shift seems to be LESS original content and more Let's Plays on Youtube.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Youtube decided to recommend me the best ever video today!

:stonk:

I find this really loving creepy; and I can't even bring myself to even check what its like...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I hate how popular a screaming, rape-joking pastiche of a person has gotten.
Riding in the coat tails of a freak trend in Swedish youtube popularity.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.

IceAgeComing posted:

Youtube decided to recommend me the best ever video today!

:stonk:

I find this really loving creepy; and I can't even bring myself to even check what its like...

I watched the first minute. It's basically Cleverbot with a weird face, text-to-speech, and voice recognition. From what I gather, it's 10 minutes of PDP talking to a computer and it not recognizing his accent.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

infinitycanvas posted:

I watched the first minute. It's basically Cleverbot with a weird face, text-to-speech, and voice recognition. From what I gather, it's 10 minutes of PDP talking to a computer and it not recognizing his accent.

That probably resembles his conversations with humans quite a bit.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
If anyone isn't watching the latest retsupurae thing, you're missing out big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5tnsCnGEU

I haven't laughed so hard in long time.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlChestBreach?feature=watch

I don't know if anyone's mentioned Alchestbreach yet. He's less an LPer and more a mod reviewer, and when he plays games and not mods it's less about the game and more his silly reactions. He's often a bit too goofy, but I still like his stuff. At the very least he's good for seeing what decent mod content there is for Skyrim and New Vegas.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Have we talked about Spoiler Warning?

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?page_id=16386

Shamus Young and friends LP games that they found promising but flawed, and intelligently but pedantically nitpick/armchair-design their way through a full playthrough. Josh Viel, the player/pilot, generally takes a hilarious troll approach to the games that both shows off how mechanically broken they tend to be and how much fun you can have with that fact.

Shamus has an annoying voice.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Sorites posted:

Have we talked about Spoiler Warning?

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?page_id=16386

Shamus Young and friends LP games that they found promising but flawed, and intelligently but pedantically nitpick/armchair-design their way through a full playthrough. Josh Viel, the player/pilot, generally takes a hilarious troll approach to the games that both shows off how mechanically broken they tend to be and how much fun you can have with that fact.

Shamus has an annoying voice.

I find Josh funny, but I also have to just roll my eyes at them because what they consider 'terrible design' baffles me entirely sometimes. I can understand picking on some of the Assassin's Creed games, Revelations and 3 in particular, but they picked out AC2 to heap scorn on? Also them ragging on Alan Wake like it's an incompetent effort is just :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agent Interrobang posted:

I find Josh funny, but I also have to just roll my eyes at them because what they consider 'terrible design' baffles me entirely sometimes. I can understand picking on some of the Assassin's Creed games, Revelations and 3 in particular, but they picked out AC2 to heap scorn on? Also them ragging on Alan Wake like it's an incompetent effort is just :psyduck:

I haven't played Alan Wake but the LPs made it looks like a pretty competent game... Unless the controls are unbearably stiff I can't imagine why someone would object to it, it's a quite unique, superbly acted, and seemingly well polished third person shooter.

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD

I can't help but enjoy Al's videos, I've been watching his Sims 3 LP a lot recently and it's probably gotten the most laughs out of me this year.

On another note, I don't think anyone's mentioned Kikoskia yet
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kikoskia/featured
He mostly plays old RPGs and Adventure games, some don't really translate well to VLP but I think he does a pretty good job of being entertaining during them.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
A thing to keep in mind about Kikoskia though is that he's kinda bad at most of the games he plays. So if watching a man bumble his way through games isn't your thing, then it's probably best to steer clear.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

heenato posted:

A thing to keep in mind about Kikoskia though is that he's kinda bad at most of the games he plays. So if watching a man bumble his way through games isn't your thing, then it's probably best to steer clear.
His best LPs are his shortest ones.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Livewire42 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlChestBreach?feature=watch

I don't know if anyone's mentioned Alchestbreach yet. He's less an LPer and more a mod reviewer, and when he plays games and not mods it's less about the game and more his silly reactions. He's often a bit too goofy, but I still like his stuff. At the very least he's good for seeing what decent mod content there is for Skyrim and New Vegas.

The Corgi Christmas Carol short on his channel as well is just a whole bundle of CGI cute as well.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Shotgun Butterfly has a weird and stupid name, but a great sense of what an LP should be. That he has less than 100 views on most of his videos is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's currently working on an LP of Hotline Miami, and he's completed an excellent LP of Just Cause 2 that is really more of a love note. He's got all the SA chops in terms of good editing and proper equipment, but he obviously puts most of his work into his commentary. Highly scripted, they come across more as video essays than LPs, and it's to their benefit. If you like informative but funny LPs from someone who obviously loves the game their showing off, I couldn't recommend him more. He also has a series called "Should you get" where he does brief previews that are also worth watching.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't played Alan Wake but the LPs made it looks like a pretty competent game... Unless the controls are unbearably stiff I can't imagine why someone would object to it, it's a quite unique, superbly acted, and seemingly well polished third person shooter.

That's a pretty fair assessment of Alan Wake, at least in my opinion. I think people just wanted it to be Silent Hill 2 2:Max Payne edition.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I really wanted to enjoy Alan Wake, but something about the camera made me unbearably motion sick after 10 minutes of play every single time, and I had to give up. It's really weird; no game has ever given me motion sickness, even games notorious for it like Mirror's Edge, but Alan Wake just completely fucks me up.

Seemed like a pretty good game, aside from the constant urge to vomit it gave me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dickey Butts posted:

That's a pretty fair assessment of Alan Wake, at least in my opinion. I think people just wanted it to be Silent Hill 2 2:Max Payne edition.

Or to at least embrace its Twin Peaks obsession wholeheartedly. It'd be lovely if the game would quit contriving to steal all your weapons and equipment at every turn too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dickey Butts posted:

Shotgun Butterfly has a weird and stupid name, but a great sense of what an LP should be. That he has less than 100 views on most of his videos is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's currently working on an LP of Hotline Miami, and he's completed an excellent LP of Just Cause 2 that is really more of a love note. He's got all the SA chops in terms of good editing and proper equipment, but he obviously puts most of his work into his commentary. Highly scripted, they come across more as video essays than LPs, and it's to their benefit. If you like informative but funny LPs from someone who obviously loves the game their showing off, I couldn't recommend him more. He also has a series called "Should you get" where he does brief previews that are also worth watching.

This guy is actually really loving good, I honestly can't understand why he has such low viewer counts, hopefully this will fix it a little.

• Locked thread