Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Tiggum posted:

On TV you see families having pancakes for breakfast as like a regular thing (except that they always are in too much of a rush and just run out without eating anything and the mother is very disappointed that they never eat breakfast together as a family any more). Is that actually a common thing in America, to cook pancakes for breakfast all the time? Or does it only happen on TV?

I make pancakes sometimes on Saturday or Sunday. I'm not sure how common a weekday hot breakfast is for most American families. I'd bet not very common at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
If I buy an item through Amazon Marketplace and it doesn't arrive, what are the odds of me being able to get my money refunded? Assuming the seller didn't use signed delivery or tracking when they sent it. I'm in the UK if it makes a difference.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Tiggum posted:

On TV you see families having pancakes for breakfast as like a regular thing (except that they always are in too much of a rush and just run out without eating anything and the mother is very disappointed that they never eat breakfast together as a family any more). Is that actually a common thing in America, to cook pancakes for breakfast all the time? Or does it only happen on TV?

Most families will have large breakfasts together on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Usually a combination of 2-3 of the common breakfast foods: pancakes, waffles, sausage (link or patty)/bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns.

Pancakes are probably the most common because of low cost and how easy they are to make (many come in a just-add-water mix)

The kids not sitting down to eat is a callback to the "traditional idea of American nuclear family" where mom makes food and cleans, dad works, kids go to school. Mom would get up early to make breakfast for everyone and they don't have the time to sit and eat it.

Now that's been turned to sell instant products like pop-tarts, eggo waffles, etc because Mom is now working too and still wants to provide that same idea.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Are you supposed to give them something?

Usually not, although Mr. Squishy is right – sometimes people carol for charity. But some of the groups just do it for the hell of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place, but here goes.

I was once linked to a video that I'm pretty sure originated from something awful. I don't remember most of it unfortunately, because one of the lines in it over-rode everything else in it. The gist of the video is that someone got doxxed and some stranger called them to tell them or something like that. The person who was called asks them something like "who are you" or "why are you calling me", and the guy who called says

"Hello, I'm...uh...I'm from the internet."

That's it, that's what I remember. That perfect line that I'm probably mis-remembering anyway. Welp, hope this isn't too vague.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to snag two free Kindle ebooks this morning because of a thread on some gaming forum. It looks like Amazon does this somewhat regularly - anyone know of a place that aggregate this sort of deals?

Citadel: The Battle of Kursk:
http://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Battle-Kursk-Robin-Cross-ebook/dp/B00FWVEXUU#_

The Old Contemptibles: The British Expeditionary Force, 1914:
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Contemptibles-British-Expeditionary-ebook/dp/B00FK372TO

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

c0ldfuse posted:

Most families will have large breakfasts together on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Usually a combination of 2-3 of the common breakfast foods: pancakes, waffles, sausage (link or patty)/bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns.

Pancakes are probably the most common because of low cost and how easy they are to make (many come in a just-add-water mix)

The kids not sitting down to eat is a callback to the "traditional idea of American nuclear family" where mom makes food and cleans, dad works, kids go to school. Mom would get up early to make breakfast for everyone and they don't have the time to sit and eat it.

Now that's been turned to sell instant products like pop-tarts, eggo waffles, etc because Mom is now working too and still wants to provide that same idea.

I usually make pancakes or waffles for everyone when my husband and I stay with my parents. And I'll make other stuff too. Scrambled eggs, bacon, whatever.

My husband makes us breakfast every day. Usually I have a fried egg, toast, and half an avocado. Sometimes he'll make a breakfast scramble thing with fried potatoes and peppers, garlic, bacon, etc. Breakfast isn't totally dead! Long live breakfast!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Will I be able to tolerate Lasik surgery if I hate eye stuff? I can't do eye drops or contacts. Basically I have about two grand I have to use for medical stuff or I lose it, and my eyesight in my left eye is slowly deteriorating.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Livingtrope posted:

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place, but here goes.

I was once linked to a video that I'm pretty sure originated from something awful. I don't remember most of it unfortunately, because one of the lines in it over-rode everything else in it. The gist of the video is that someone got doxxed and some stranger called them to tell them or something like that. The person who was called asks them something like "who are you" or "why are you calling me", and the guy who called says

"Hello, I'm...uh...I'm from the internet."

That's it, that's what I remember. That perfect line that I'm probably mis-remembering anyway. Welp, hope this isn't too vague.

I believe that was the Adam L. Goldstein thread. More information can be found at Encyclopedia Dramatica, and it looks like the sound clip is linked there.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tiggum posted:

Yes, at least on weekends and holidays. When do you eat pancakes in Australia?

poo poo, now I want pancakes.

Knightmare posted:

Will I be able to tolerate Lasik surgery if I hate eye stuff? I can't do eye drops or contacts. Basically I have about two grand I have to use for medical stuff or I lose it, and my eyesight in my left eye is slowly deteriorating.

If you get LASIK, you'll have to do eye drops for some length of time afterwards. (3 to 6 months, says the Internet.)

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 7, 2013

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I believe that was the Adam L. Goldstein thread. More information can be found at Encyclopedia Dramatica, and it looks like the sound clip is linked there.

Unfortunately most of the links there are broken, so I can't really tell. But thanks anyway, I know I was really vague.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Knightmare posted:

You have to put in medicated and moisturizing eyedrops for awhile after Lasik. Also, I'm not sure if you are a good candidate if your eyesight is still fluctuating a lot.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MILTONS COD posted:

If I buy an item through Amazon Marketplace and it doesn't arrive, what are the odds of me being able to get my money refunded? Assuming the seller didn't use signed delivery or tracking when they sent it. I'm in the UK if it makes a difference.

I once had this problem and got my money back with no issues. Use the instructions on the Amazon website and you should be cool. It's pretty similar to Ebay.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

On the subject of pancakes, do you have pancake day AKA Shrove Tuesday in the US?

Or does having (very thick) pancakes for breakfast mean you don't want a whole day dedicated to them?

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I once had this problem and got my money back with no issues. Use the instructions on the Amazon website and you should be cool. It's pretty similar to Ebay.

Oh thanks! I was trying to find those details and obviously not clicking in the right places, much obliged.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, at least on weekends and holidays. When do you eat pancakes in Australia?

Shrove Tuesday? Or any time, really, but not often. Same with stuff like bacon and eggs. That's not an everyday breakfast, it's something you eat occasionally. Then again, I can only speak for myself.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Geokinesis posted:

On the subject of pancakes, do you have pancake day AKA Shrove Tuesday in the US?

Or does having (very thick) pancakes for breakfast mean you don't want a whole day dedicated to them?

We have it in Canada. My grandmother would put coins, a ring, button, etc inside them (apparently that's only a Newfoundland thing?)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I was digging through my dead dad's things and I found a 9/11 commemorative coin. The kind that comes with the twin towers that can stand up on the coin. Is this as worthless as I think it is?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

So I was digging through my dead dad's things and I found a 9/11 commemorative coin. The kind that comes with the twin towers that can stand up on the coin. Is this as worthless as I think it is?

Depends on what it's made out of. The scrap value is pretty much going to be it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Geokinesis posted:

Pancake day is the lamest alternative to Mardi Gras imaginable.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

I have a vague notion that such a thing exists, but it's not something I've ever really done myself. There aren't a lot of traditions of eating a specific food on a specific day in the US, at least not nationwide. In the south it's somewhat common to have black eyed peas on New Year's Day and king cake on or around Mardi Gras.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Is there a name for these rectangular toy things with sand in colourful liquid and some air bubbles? You can turn it over and the sand gets propped up by the air bubbles, the sand seeps through creating nice patterns and stuff. It was marketed as a relaxing/calming aid. Anyone know what I'm talking about? The closest thing I got on google is some kind of sand timer which isn't it

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Goddamnit, I used to see those all the time at various craft fairs as a kid and I can't for the life of me remember what they're called either. May have been 'sand-paintings', but in Hungarian so that's not particularly useful.

Question: Why do micro-USB chargers make that barely perceptible high-pitched hum?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I couldn't find anything quite like what I'm looking for in D&D, so I'll ask here, although I'm sure it's not really a small question. What concerns make it difficult for homeless to get some sort of job (I know a family can't really live on minimum wage)? Is it transportation? Do most employers require you to have a home address? Something else? Likely a combination of these (and other factors)? I hope this doesn't come off as "Why don't those lazy slobs just get a job?", because I'm genuinely curious as to what makes it so difficult to do so.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

hooah posted:

I couldn't find anything quite like what I'm looking for in D&D, so I'll ask here, although I'm sure it's not really a small question. What concerns make it difficult for homeless to get some sort of job (I know a family can't really live on minimum wage)? Is it transportation? Do most employers require you to have a home address? Something else? Likely a combination of these (and other factors)? I hope this doesn't come off as "Why don't those lazy slobs just get a job?", because I'm genuinely curious as to what makes it so difficult to do so.

The short answer is mental illness and/or addiction. Long answer is all of the above plus some.

This thread would give you a good fleshed out answer:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559376&pagenumber=3&perpage=40

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
It can also be really difficult to get any form of ID if you don't already have any ID, which makes many things difficult.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

There's also a great A/T thread about being homeless. If this hasn't been addressed already (I stopped following it awhile back), you could probably ask there and get some good answers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a free program or website out there that will allow me to punch in a beginning address then additional addresses and it'll list which address is closest to furthest? With my job I get a list of stores to do in a day and currently I'm punching in directions from my place to place A, then place B, till I get all the addresses down then I look at the map and see what blips are closest to furthest out. Surely there is a more streamlined way of doing this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Leal posted:

Is there a free program or website out there that will allow me to punch in a beginning address then additional addresses and it'll list which address is closest to furthest? With my job I get a list of stores to do in a day and currently I'm punching in directions from my place to place A, then place B, till I get all the addresses down then I look at the map and see what blips are closest to furthest out. Surely there is a more streamlined way of doing this?
If I'm reading your post right, this is the "traveling salesman problem."

This site is supposed to do it.
http://www.gebweb.net/optimap/

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Somaen posted:

Is there a name for these rectangular toy things with sand in colourful liquid and some air bubbles? You can turn it over and the sand gets propped up by the air bubbles, the sand seeps through creating nice patterns and stuff. It was marketed as a relaxing/calming aid. Anyone know what I'm talking about? The closest thing I got on google is some kind of sand timer which isn't it

Sand picture, falling sand picture, sandscape? There's a bunch listed on amazon like that, but they use real sand and your picture looks like it may be plastic beads.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 9, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a company that makes dress socks that stay up as well as regular white tube socks?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Somaen posted:

After some googling, I had the best luck finding similar items with the search terms "liquid motion", "liquid timer", "sand timer", "sand picture", "sandscape" and just general "desk toy".

I found your specific item as "Times Up Timer".

Edit: drat, partially beaten by Pogonodon

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hooah posted:

Is there a company that makes dress socks that stay up as well as regular white tube socks?

Sock Company. Look for the Champion crew socks in black (which, being the same make as their white socks, stay up just as well as their regular socks).
http://www.sockcompany.com/

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Thank you for your help everyone, sandscape desk toy works perfect, I found what I was looking for :)

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Is the reason for human hairlessness the warm climate in the southern continents?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

That is a pretty common explanation (hypothesis, really), yes.
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

Barnum Brown Shoes fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 9, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leal posted:

Mapquest has done this for years.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Is there a term out there for those goofy paper predictors girls made to out of notebook paper to predict future outcomes back in grade school?

They show up in the credits for Community, and there was an episode of South Park revolving around the boys trying to steal their future predicting power. But I don't know what to call them.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 9, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
So far as I know those are just called fortune tellers or paper fortune tellers.
edit: origami fortune tellers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

thrakkorzog posted:

Is there a term out there for those goofy paper predictors girls made to out of notebook paper to predict future outcomes back in grade school?

They show up in the credits for Community, and there was an episode of South Park revolving around the boys trying to steal their future predicting power. But I don't know what to call them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_fortune_teller
They go by a bunch of names. I think I've first learned them as salt cellars because I was into origami before I was into cooties.