Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Cope always dodges questions about Sette's age, whatever Sette actually turns out to be is going to be one of the big corner stones of Unsounded, I think.

My money is on some fragment of one of the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm wondering if she's Tirna and doesn't know it. Fits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm wondering if she's Tirna and doesn't know it. Fits.

The lion tail hints at some connection with Ssael more than anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think we'll get some idea of what she might be when the scene (which I guess is soon) where Sette asks Daune what the word the boob-bird kept calling her means.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

The lion tail hints at some connection with Ssael more than anything.
Hmmm...from the wiki:

quote:

Tirna is the reckless goddess, the child, who is closer to mankind than any of the other gods. She is considered an "imperfect deity", an aberration, but still above the earth-crawling children in Yerta's womb. She is not evil, but imperfect, and is seen as a sort of bridge between the terrestrial and the celestial. Tirna was murderously displeased with the creation of mankind and tried to feed Yerta leaves from the softi plant to kill the life in her womb. The plot was foiled of course, and Yerta devoured her sister instead, banishing her to her belly and the mortal world within. Ever since, Tirna has longed to appease her siblings once again and turned her attentions to aiding mortals. It is believed she possesses mortal twin children, gifting them with foresight and prophesy. Banished eternally to the mortal world to pay for her mortal caprice of ill temper, Tirna is a tragic figure of a god and the Gefendur faithful find her far easier to relate to than the aloof Yerta and her brothers.

There is another take on the Youngest Sister however, one which claims she is not repentant for her crime so much as eternally enraged. It is this tradition that has for thousands of years encouraged a cult of human sacrifice in the Gefendur faith, one wherein half of a pair of twin siblings is poisoned, and their flesh eaten by Gefendur priests in order to appease Tirna's terrible temper.

Tirna is associated with mortal frailty, sickness, starvation, and natural catastrophe. Often she's depicted as a being split in two between callousness and compassion.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gabriel Pope posted:

EDIT: Also drat :stare: I definitely have not been paying enough attention around the edges of the flashback panels.

The scene on the left is pretty obvious, but what's being crossed out in the very center? I can make out an arm...?

Fabricated posted:

Hmmm...from the wiki:

So does this mean Sette has a twin lurking out there somewhere?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

The scene on the left is pretty obvious, but what's being crossed out in the very center? I can make out an arm...?

I, uh, don't think that's an arm.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Huh, he didn't go batshit crazy THIS week, kudos to him. So, next page? Maaaaaybe Wednesday?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He also doesn't seem to remember anything that happened in the khert so far, so he doesn't know she saw his last day living or Murk.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
It amazes me that he's not done the voice stealing thing before. That's some considerable restraint given he's been traveling with Sette.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It amazes me that he's not done the voice stealing thing before. That's some considerable restraint given he's been traveling with Sette.

Well yeah he certainly could have done that a few chapters ago but as far as Duane knew if he did that then the first thing Sette would do after the job is done would be to run to her dad and say he bewitched her. In which case he'd go back to being dead pretty fast.

Now though, he knows two things:

-Sette's dad would upon hearing this probably slap her and say "That's what you get for mouthing off"
-This was never the job he thought he signed up for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Takezio posted:

Huh, he didn't go batshit crazy THIS week, kudos to him. So, next page? Maaaaaybe Wednesday?

Duane's not really the type for crazy-rage. He has a moment of anger, dismembers a guy, punches a politician, then he cools off again. He's had time to stew on this, so I doubt he'll really fly off the handle during the whole exchange, especially because Sette doesn't seem eager to share what she saw in the khert/Alderode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And just like that, I'm wrong on every particular. How embarrassing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh. Oh dear. Now I'm really curious to see what he's going to say to this. :stare:

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Onean posted:

Oh. Oh dear. Now I'm really curious to see what he's going to say to this. :stare:

NOTHING GOOD APPARENTLY

:catstare:

setteshutupshutup

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Takezio posted:

NOTHING GOOD APPARENTLY

:catstare:

setteshutupshutup

No, no, keep driving in the knife. Let's see if she can properly summarize what a regressive hellhole Alderode is before Duane unscrews her head.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Three page update next week to follow this? This is gonna be good. :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh neat, now Duane is even more of a father figure to Sette! :yayclod:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That is one way of putting it. Also you're horrible, and so am I because I laughed.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That's horrible. Correct, but horrible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So is there someone I can yell at to make more updates happen because the idea that this is all we get for the week is giving me the shakes

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oxxidation posted:

So is there someone I can yell at to make more updates happen because the idea that this is all we get for the week is giving me the shakes

I know. :(

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

quote:

Ain't no one ever calls me Sette the way ya call me Mikaila
Ouch.

I'm glad we got these pages in a row. Good call.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Well.

That was depressing.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Benagain posted:

Well.

That was depressing.

So've you gotten past the second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth chapter yet?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well that was basically an emotional suckerpunch to the gut.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Aldish certainly know how to turn public executions into a fun and wholesome show.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Practical instruction in anatomy for all the kids.

Any bets on the chances of Cresce actually being involved in this at all?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Practical instruction in anatomy for all the kids.

Any bets on the chances of Cresce actually being involved in this at all?

Those "Crescian" assassins were using Aldish slurs and whacked Duane right after he broke Bodie's nose, so it is a little on the doubtful side.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also at least their ringleader isn't actually Crescian (and is probably Lemuel, despite his scar not being drawn.) The guys on the rack might be Crescians--it's conceivable they scrounged up some Crescian prisoners to torture into confessing, if they were worried about any glamours on their thugs being uncovered. On the other hand, this is Alderode and torturing their own disguised stooges to death would be the most dickish thing to do so that's probably it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I figure the likelihood is near zero. The thing I'm really curious about is whether Sette will recognize this; she isn't particularly politically knowledgeable and at the time she was probably thinking of other things. Duane certainly hasn't figured it out in the last few years, and is not likely to unless something seriously changes his mind about Alderode soon.

The simplest way to deal with the situation would probably be to put on a glamour, hire a few actual honest-to-god Crescians to join their group, and tell them they're murdering Duane for exactly the reason they're later going to confess to. Of course, none of the ringleaders will be present when they are conveniently captured.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've always been kind of interested in Duane's cognitive dissonance related to Aldish culture. He has all these romantic notions about his homeland, but we get to see how monstrous some of the things Alderode does are. I mean, it's kind of understandable considering it's pretty much the only world he knew before his death, and there seems to be a really strong propaganda machine going on in Alderode, but it's interesting to see how he justifies that sort of thing in his head.

On another note, I only just thought about the parallels between Alderode and Duane, what with the pretty and enlightened outer view and the totalitarian horror show/man-eating zombie hidden underneath.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well I imagine one part of it is alderode is the only place his religion isn't illegal. That would probably cloud one's judgement.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Those "Crescian" assassins were using Aldish slurs and whacked Duane right after he broke Bodie's nose, so it is a little on the doubtful side.

I doubt the assassins were sent because of Bodie, it was very organized and well planned for such a short timespan.
my guess would be that he was killed for the propaganda, it even fits with the fact that he was the first of his kind to get the job, they simply never intended for him to survive in the first place.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
There's so many different potential players in here. One of the best ways to reunite a strained relationship domestically is to rekindle hatred on a foreign enemy.

False flag, Shadwe did Duane's assassination!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glagha posted:

I've always been kind of interested in Duane's cognitive dissonance related to Aldish culture. He has all these romantic notions about his homeland, but we get to see how monstrous some of the things Alderode does are. I mean, it's kind of understandable considering it's pretty much the only world he knew before his death, and there seems to be a really strong propaganda machine going on in Alderode, but it's interesting to see how he justifies that sort of thing in his head.

Besides the above about it being the only place where he wouldn't be murdered for his religion, it isn't hard to demonize Cresce because, frankly, Cresce is also terrible. They're taking over all the countries around them, they practice the nastier bits of the Gefendur faith (like the whole twin-murdering thing), lot of its people seem to be pretty drat racist against people from Alderode, etc. Other parts of the world aren't always great either; that place Sette's from is apparently a crime-filled hellhole, for example. The rest of the world being so terrible makes it easy to ignore or explain away all the terrible things about the place you're biased towards.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I find it interesting that everybody goes 'every country is terrible!!' rather than every country has its pluses and minuses. I think its a pretty realistic setting in that aspect.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gally posted:

I find it interesting that everybody goes 'every country is terrible!!' rather than every country has its pluses and minuses. I think its a pretty realistic setting in that aspect.

Well, when your minuses are things like "murders everyone who does not follow the national faith" and "has a horribly regressive and racist institutionalized caste system", it's not really a matter of pros and cons. Them all being terrible in different ways doesn't mean that they aren't still all terrible. Because they are.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They do all have their good sides. That being said, the bad parts are really, really, big-time bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Well I imagine one part of it is alderode is the only place his religion isn't illegal. That would probably cloud one's judgement.

I doubt it helps that one of the tenets of Ssaelism is that only the Aldish can become Ssaelit (and all non-Ssaelit are heathen infidels who should probably just die so they can hustle along reincarnation towards being reborn as Aldish).

Cresce is a bunch of imperialistic, unempathetic dickwads, but even with that in mind Alderode still comes out looking like North Korea with wizards.