Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Driving this thing is going to ruin other cars for me. I loving love it so much. The feel of the shifter throw, the sound of the engine as I wind it up, driving is FUN again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, driving a Miata on the regular will pretty much ruin every other manual transmission vehicle you ever drive, they will all feel like piles of poo poo in comparison.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The only car I can think of that Ive driven recently that had close to as good was a 2012 mustang. Ive tried E39 540s, e46 325s, Honds, Toyotas, Subarus, and they all felt really vauge and sloppy shifting. It kind of makes me cringe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yep, driving a Miata on the regular will pretty much ruin every other manual transmission vehicle you ever drive, they will all feel like piles of poo poo in comparison.

I can't believe the difference between it and the MS6. The 6 is smooth, almost soft. The Miata feels like I've always though shfting gears should. Guys at Cars & Coffee loved it too. I've pretty much been dubbed "the Mazda guy" now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sadi posted:

The only car I can think of that Ive driven recently that had close to as good was a 2012 mustang. Ive tried E39 540s, e46 325s, Honds, Toyotas, Subarus, and they all felt really vauge and sloppy shifting. It kind of makes me cringe.

Drive an S2000 and you won't think this

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The S2000's shifter is pretty good. It's the same AZ6 box that the Miata 6-speed has.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sadi posted:

Every BMW shifter I've used has felt like rubbery poo poo to me. :can:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hey miata thread, can I ask a question? I had some generic side indicators on my 180sx that look horrible (fitted for Australian compliance in a different spot to the OEM parts). I want to replace them with something nicer, and the 89-97 miata side indicators look like a good option.

Can someone tell me what the measurements are for the rear section of the housing?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Miata shifter is the second best I have used - S2000 is still the best.

Worst is my 2004 Impreza (need to get the kartboy shifter) or a Chevy HHR I drove once.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I think a Ford Ranger I drove had the worst shifter. It had to move like a foot and a half each shift, and it wobbled all over the place.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
the Ford Ranger has a shifter that feels like every other truck's shifter.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The hilariously lovely shifters on trucks like the Ranger or old Nissans and Toyotas is kind of part of their charm.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Guinness posted:

The hilariously lovely shifters on trucks like the Ranger or old Nissans and Toyotas is kind of part of their charm.

The sloppy long throws are the best part of manual transmission trucks. Girlfriend's mom has a '96 Hardbody and on the rare occasions I borrow it you bet your rear end I'm playing big rig trucker. :cowboy:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

The sloppy long throws are the best part of manual transmission trucks. Girlfriend's mom has a '96 Hardbody and on the rare occasions I borrow it you bet your rear end I'm playing big rig trucker. :cowboy:

This may or may not be part of the reason I shift without the clutch about half the time on the Ranger. :clint: is what you are looking for, I believe.

The other half is that the clutch hydraulics loving suck and the truck runs better the more hatefully you drive it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I had a 96 Tacoma manual for almost 10 years before my buying my Miata and the difference in shifting is ridiculous. But like said above, that huge throw in a truck is half the charm. There is a certain joy to be had when gear changes become drat near full body motions that the small throw of the Miata just will never -and was never meant to -capture.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I need new front latches for my hardtop and front striker plate bolts for my car, but my Google skills are turning up $extortion prices. Almost 140 for a pair of latches is the best I'm finding. What's the best place to look for hardware for the miata?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I need new front latches for my hardtop and front striker plate bolts for my car, but my Google skills are turning up $extortion prices. Almost 140 for a pair of latches is the best I'm finding. What's the best place to look for hardware for the miata?
2ndchanceroadster, isellmiataparts, Planet Miata, etc. $140 for a pair of latches really isn't that unheard of, they're not cheap.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since you're probably only going to be taking the hard top off in a garage anyways you could just get a set of spec miata plates for about 30$ which will be stiffer and lighter too. The only downside is you need to unbolt them to remove the hard top.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I have some take offs if you want to buy them. The latches aren't perfect, but they latch fine.

Do you need the fronts or the sides? I have both.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have some media-blasted NA latches that I will never use, they're yours for shipping.

edit: oh hard top nevermind :(

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Previa_fun posted:

It's ironic, because Mazda yanked the 5-speed in the Miata straight out of the B2000 pickup.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

craig588 posted:

Since you're probably only going to be taking the hard top off in a garage anyways you could just get a set of spec miata plates for about 30$ which will be stiffer and lighter too. The only downside is you need to unbolt them to remove the hard top.

Do they completely replace the latches? I only put it on for winter, so that's not a bad option.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Gonna be listing this @ 12.5 shortly. Freshly detailed

105k miles. Bone stock with a Flyin' Miata downpipe. Cloth top is about a year old.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Are you in Canada or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a nice MSM and it's probably worth it, but drat 12k seems like a lot of money for a NB, turbo or not.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's list price, I'll (possibly) have to take less. Judging from previous MSM sales on ebay, maybe not.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's starting to threaten snow here, so I had to find a ghetto solution to my hard top until I can get new latches. The problem is basically that the little bits of plastic the hold the latches shut have worn off, so they just pop back open when you close them. I have "solved" this by making shims out of some aluminum I had lying around and shoving them under the back of the latches so they can't open. I then covered it with duck tape (hot pink for style and class) to keep it from sliding out. It seems to work, but we might want to do an over/under on the number of days it takes for one to come rocketing out and embed in my face.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

One of my latches does the same thing. I taped a small shim on with gorilla tape and it's been fine for around a month.

Am I a fool for running without side latches? The roll bar necessitated their removal, but I have metal brackets I could use instead. I had them on last winter, and took them off when I took off the hard top, and just haven't put them back on yet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TrueChaos posted:

One of my latches does the same thing. I taped a small shim on with gorilla tape and it's been fine for around a month.

Am I a fool for running without side latches? The roll bar necessitated their removal, but I have metal brackets I could use instead. I had them on last winter, and took them off when I took off the hard top, and just haven't put them back on yet.

The side latches saved my bacon on the freeway once. There was a huge bump caused by the concrete contracting in the cold and it popped both my front latches open. The side latches held the top in place while I came to a stop in the shoulder to fix it.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Finally found a set of decently priced wheels for the NA/Fit (15x7 rota gt3 with RT615s) but hellaflushness has corrupted my brain and I'm afraid the +40 (or 42) offset will ruin my street cred. Is it safe to run say 7mm spacers? 10mm is apparently too much for factory studs.

Edit: Nvm 1/4" or 6.35mm will work.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 8, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

It's starting to threaten snow here, so I had to find a ghetto solution to my hard top until I can get new latches. The problem is basically that the little bits of plastic the hold the latches shut have worn off, so they just pop back open when you close them. I have "solved" this by making shims out of some aluminum I had lying around and shoving them under the back of the latches so they can't open. I then covered it with duck tape (hot pink for style and class) to keep it from sliding out. It seems to work, but we might want to do an over/under on the number of days it takes for one to come rocketing out and embed in my face.

Just get the spec miata plates like craig588 said. They completely replace the latches.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Anybody catch the Miata song on China, IL?

http://video.adultswim.com/china-il/its-a-miata.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I saw it on FB, had to share it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hog Obituary posted:

Just get the spec miata plates like craig588 said. They completely replace the latches.

Plan to, but Wisconsin winters are not very nice to soft tops. Or body panels, for that matter, but nothing I can do about that one.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Quick question about brake pads. I have the Haynes repair manual and it says to put anti-squeal compound between the shims and caliper fingers so it's like this:

caliper finger -> anti-squeal -> shim -> brake pad

But the miata.net guide says to put the compound between the shim and pad, so it's like:

caliper finger -> shim -> anti-squeal -> brake pad

So which is it?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Hikaki posted:

Quick question about brake pads. I have the Haynes repair manual and it says to put anti-squeal compound between the shims and caliper fingers so it's like this:

caliper finger -> anti-squeal -> shim -> brake pad

But the miata.net guide says to put the compound between the shim and pad, so it's like:

caliper finger -> shim -> anti-squeal -> brake pad

So which is it?

Anywhere with metal to metal contact really. Back of the pad, back of the shim and sides of the pad that go into caliper bracket is what I usually do. Just a slim coating is enough.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Of course, my back left winter tire tore itself apart on the way to the gas station to top off air. I don't see any signs of dry rot and it was only down about 10 PSI. As far as I can tell it was a totally spontaneous failure. Now begins the game of calling around town and hoping someone will sell me a steelie with a tire on it for cheap on the quick.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Hey Guys my MK1 just passed its mot. But its much more worse for ware rust wise then I initially thought when I bought it.

Im in the uk and was wondering if anyone has and advice on a place to take it for a quote to cut out and repair the crappy sills get the chassi rails coated, though replaced if possible might be better as they do not have a bad rust issue but have been battered and get the subframe blasted and coated.
Or maybe im being foolish and it would be a better idea to sell up and buy a newer car?

The last option was reccommended by the garage I took it to to get a exhaust mount replaced to pass the MOT but I fell in love with this car instantly and am probably being irrational

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My girlfriend just bought a '93 and I've been spending a bunch of time going through all of the many things that were wrong with it. So far it's gotten a tire balance, alignment, new steering rack boots, rebuilt auto shifter (yeah it's an auto), brake fluid flush, SRS control unit rebuild, timing belt, valve cover gasket and front crank seal.

Artsy shot of me lining it up at work

It drives a hell of a lot better than it used to. The alignment was screwed, the timing belt was off a tooth and the front crank seal was just kind of hanging out in the cover. Despite it being an auto it's actually pretty fun to drive. It's also noisy. I think it has more wind noise than my motorcycle at freeway speeds.

I couldn't find any tool in particular for getting the drat timing belt sprocket off the crank so I got a buddy of mine to make me this
It's kind of loosely based on a print I found online except it actually works and I broached a half inch drive hole instead of trying to bolt it to the engine like the original called for.
Here it is in action, note the inches of grime built up on everything!

I didn't take pics of the shifter but instead of the lovely plastic bushings I machined new brass ones. It should hopefully never fail again. I also modified slightly VW shift rod bushings to fit in the rest of the linkage since I was too lazy to go to Mazda for the proper ones. They are the same except the VW ones are a tiny bit wider.

The biggest remaining problem is the drat top. It has a glass rear window that absolutely refuses to stay glued to the hole. I've tried a few different types of 3M adhesive, a weird German one that I found at work and finally 3M trim glue which worked the longest but is separated again. What do I need to use to keep the window sealed? It rains infrequently here but when it does the car gets soaked and smells like mildew for weeks afterward.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There is no glue that will work on that window, you need to take it to an upholstery shop to see what they can do with it, maybe they could stitch it in. But from my experience, it's cheaper just to put a new top on it unless the rest of the top is like new and you REALLY want to save it. If it's by chance a two piece (zipper window) Robbins top you can purchase a vinyl replacement and just zip it in. Otherwise there isn't a whole lot you can do, a shop is probably going to charge you the cost of a new top just to fix it. If the top is worn at all just replace the whole thing. And IMO two piece w/ vinyl window is the best for NA Miatas, glass is a PITA and you've seen what happens to them.

Just for reference, glue/epoxy doesn't even work on vinyl windows which weigh nothing in comparison to glass. Every trick that I've seen done fails eventually, some sooner than others.

http://topsonline.com/ has the best prices. If you can do a timing belt, you can replace the top.

Also I need one of those tools! PM sent

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 17, 2013