Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

There are 3 possible solutions to being bored of commuting and street riding.

1) get a supermoto
2) dedicated track bike
3) get into dirt bikes

All of which can be accomplished by buying one supermoto.

Thats the beauty of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It really is the Ace card of bad decisions.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Spiffness posted:

There are 3 possible solutions to being bored of commuting and street riding.

1) get a supermoto
2) dedicated track bike
3) get into dirt bikes

Supermoto has been on my mind for a long time. We'll see. Not going to do anything for a couple months while we buy a house (probably too optimistic thinking I'll be able to afford anything other than bicycling after this).
If it came down to it I think I'd still prefer track due to being in Florida. Meh roads, but two tracks within 2 hours, another 5-6 hours away. Dedicated track SM? Who knows..

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So I had this dream last night that my girlfriend put her foot down and said I couldn't play with motorcycles anymore and I woke up so angry at her.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So I had this dream last night that my girlfriend put her foot down and said I couldn't play with motorcycles anymore and I woke up so angry at her.

"You cheated on me in my dream! Apologize!" *tears*

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I've lived this.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

GanjamonII posted:

Supermoto has been on my mind for a long time. We'll see. Not going to do anything for a couple months while we buy a house (probably too optimistic thinking I'll be able to afford anything other than bicycling after this).
If it came down to it I think I'd still prefer track due to being in Florida. Meh roads, but two tracks within 2 hours, another 5-6 hours away. Dedicated track SM? Who knows..

Go buy a KTM 690 right now and curb-hop, slide and wheelie your way to work every day not giving a gently caress. Imagine enjoying when you slide across slick road markings in corners, because it feels awesome.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So the 690 Duke is more like a regular naked streetbike, right?

Do the 690 Duke and the SM share anything aside from an engine (displacement)?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Coredump posted:

I've lived this.
:stonklol::respek::unsmigghh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Go buy a KTM 690 right now and curb-hop, slide and wheelie your way to work every day not giving a gently caress. Imagine enjoying when you slide across slick road markings in corners, because it feels awesome.

Imagine a geared 600+ ss... sliding the rear out of corners until it catches then picking up the front because it feels awesome. :) Until early launch abort fails and you go to the moon but yeah.

Coredump posted:

I've lived this.

Well.... :stare:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 8, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

So the 690 Duke is more like a regular naked streetbike, right?

Do the 690 Duke and the SM share anything aside from an engine (displacement)?

Engine, frame. But everything else is pretty much different. The frame might have subtly different geometry, I don't recall. But most everything else is completely different.

But the Duke and SM share most qualities. The SMC is the special one - lighter, more powerful due to the underseat tank allowing a larger airbox, etc.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I'm single now, for different though related craziness. God I miss her.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coredump posted:

Yeah I'm single now, for different though related craziness. God I miss her.

Single buddies. Spend all the moneys on alcohol and bieks.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Coredump posted:

I've lived this.

Yep, same.

In her defense though I had a dream I was in a farting contest and woke up to the sounds of her crying and dryheaving so

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I had a dream that my new first set of Pilot Powers didn't last very many miles :cry:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Single buddies. Spend all the moneys on alcohol and bieks.
This, a thousand times. Truly a superior life.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
My dream is that a farting contest was a real thing. So much wasted potential.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Z3n posted:

The SMC is the special one - lighter, more powerful due to the underseat tank allowing a larger airbox, etc.

Stupid Austrians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFd4t0M_XmU

I really wanted an FZ-09.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

Stupid Austrians.

Yeah but when you stoppie an FZ-09 off the edge of a loading dock, someone has to go get a truck, people start talking about things like frame damage, dented gas tanks, broken clipons, wheels that have gone out of round, bent rotors, engine damage.

When you do it to a 690 SMC you just pick it up and finish the photo shoot, if you're still intact enough. If you're not, the bike will be fine there on it's side or whatever until you get back.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 9, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BlackMK4 posted:

hahaha

oh god. :smith:

"No, I wouldn't gently caress your sister in the closet while you sleep." :ninja:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
"That's what we have a spare bedroom for!"

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

captainOrbital posted:

Stupid Austrians.

What is that guy doing with the rear brake to back it in?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

What is that guy doing with the rear brake to back it in?

Trolling you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

captainOrbital posted:

Stupid Austrians.

...I'd end up in jail within the week. I need it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you aren't already living a life where you could end up in jail a god drat motorcycle isn't going to make the difference.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

If you aren't already living a life where you could end up in jail a god drat motorcycle isn't going to make the difference.

That's the least true thing. I'm just a regular old dude in the city with kids that runs a regular old nonprofit, and I already kind of ride like a bit of an idiot on my regular old EX250. It's kind of hard not to.

My commute is so short, that I bet I could, if the (2) stoplights were timed just right, wheelie all the way to work on a 690.
Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I drive my turbo hatchback like way more of a dong than I ride my bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Stupid Austrians.

The thing about this is that everything he did in that video made me really nervous and tight in my chest, far more so than watching (or doing) people do very stupid things at extremely high speed on sportbikes.

The thought of tripling the speed limit on a public road doesn't bother me, but the thought of trying to back it in, into a wheelie, around the corner of a building, on a loading dock makes me unaccountably nervous despite the danger being significantly less.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The loading dock poo poo was a bit crazy, but at least with the roads it looked to me like they had the cameras set up in a way that allowed them to watch both streets. So either they properly closed the roads down, or they at least had a lookout there to give the rider the thumbs-up for when the roads were clear. Because otherwise, yeah, sliding around a blind corner like that on a public road, you're just being an rear end in a top hat.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Does anyone else ever have a problem figuring out what type of motorcycle they want? I woke up this morning looking for middle weight sport bike and now I'm looking for a high displacement adventure tourer. I'm like a kid in a candy store, only the candy is motorcycles and the store is craigslist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

Does anyone else ever have a problem figuring out what type of motorcycle they want? I woke up this morning looking for middle weight sport bike and now I'm looking for a high displacement adventure tourer. I'm like a kid in a candy store, only the candy is motorcycles and the store is craigslist.

Everyone has this problem.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Everyone has this problem.

Until it inevitably morphs from "what kind" to "how many"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Snowdens Secret posted:

Until it inevitably morphs from "what kind" to "how many"

Yeah; I've already decided that I need a Multistrada so I can get from Chicago to Denver or New York or North Carolina in comfort and style, but then the question is what do I get for an everyday bike? I've gone from a Sportster to an XB12 to a Bonnie/Thruxton/Scrambler to a CB1100 to V7 Racer to a Star Bolt to an FZ-09 and now to a 690 SMC. And there was probably a Monster and a CBX and an HP4 in there somewhere.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Multistrada makes a fine everyday bike by itself. Comfy and quick sport-tourers are complemented well by something more dirty / hoony, like a SM.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

My last bike was a multistrada. I almost want to blow $15,000 on another one. It had a few problems but they seem to have been (mostly) cured with the 2013 update. Just ignore the off road bull that ducati is pushing to try and pull sales from BMW.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I started thinking I needed a Duke 690, then I was certain I needed a street triple, then it was an fz-09, now I'm dead set on a KTM 990 SMT. All I'm sure of now, is it probably will be a KTM/Triumph/ maybe Ducati. I'm also convincing myself that 15k is reasonable for a bike.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I could go for a speed triple with some additional wind protection. Actually, I wonder how bad a few hundred miles of super slab would really be on a naked bike. I've never tried it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a friend who's put about 20,000 miles on his 919 over the spring and summer travelling to every corner of North America, and he isn't yet insane or deaf, so it's at least possible.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Aaaaand now I'm looking up used S3 prices on Craigslist. Ya'll are a bunch of loving enablers ya know that? I don't want to know what happens when you get pulled over for speeding and your bike has the word "speed" in it's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KodiakRS posted:

You don't have to pick one forever.

KodiakRS posted:

I could go for a speed triple with some additional wind protection. Actually, I wonder how bad a few hundred miles of super slab would really be on a naked bike. I've never tried it.

Did 6000 miles on one in June. I took the flyscreen off mid-trip because I didn't like the way it buffeted my helmet... so yeah not bad, not sure what the fuss would be really.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 11, 2013