Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

There's pretty much no way you could be disappointed with a 540. Only reason I didn't buy one (went with a 528 instead) is because they're too expensive where I live.

ONE thing perhaps sucks about the V8: The steering is mushy because it isn't rack and pinion. Shame about it.

One recommendation I would throw in is to not accept any compromises with regards to the equipment you want (like sunroof, navigation, rain sensor, electric seats, etc.), because you'll be longing all the time, and it's often really expensive and troublesome to install afterwards.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
So I'm replacing a vacuum line from my fuel rail to the CCV and the old line has a sort of mesh covering on it I assume for heat related reasons. I'm replacing it with a silicone hose, do I need to wrap it in this poo poo and if so where do I get a new one/what's the best thing to wrap it in?

2000 323ci if it makes a difference.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Can't you retrofit the R/P steering from the 6 cylinder models, or does the subframe differences not allow that? An aluminum V8 shouldn't weigh that much more than a cast iron I6.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Pilsner posted:

There's pretty much no way you could be disappointed with a 540. Only reason I didn't buy one (went with a 528 instead) is because they're too expensive where I live.

ONE thing perhaps sucks about the V8: The steering is mushy because it isn't rack and pinion. Shame about it.

One recommendation I would throw in is to not accept any compromises with regards to the equipment you want (like sunroof, navigation, rain sensor, electric seats, etc.), because you'll be longing all the time, and it's often really expensive and troublesome to install afterwards.

The only way to be upset with a 540 is if you feel like you should have gotten the M5. Otherwise, they're nice, solid cars that can haul 4 reasonably sized people with a bit of luggage. I put snows on mine and go up to the mountains.

Rscott the V8 weighs the same as the I6. I think it's a little bit heavier but they really are about the same weight for an extra 100hp/100lb-ft

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rscott posted:

Can't you retrofit the R/P steering from the 6 cylinder models, or does the subframe differences not allow that? An aluminum V8 shouldn't weigh that much more than a cast iron I6.

I believe the V8 is physically too large to accommodate the rack and pinion. It is a seriously large engine.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That could be it, I was reading about LSx swaps into E34/E39s and people use both 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars, but the LSx is obviously a physically smaller engine than the M6x.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

So I'm replacing a vacuum line from my fuel rail to the CCV and the old line has a sort of mesh covering on it I assume for heat related reasons. I'm replacing it with a silicone hose, do I need to wrap it in this poo poo and if so where do I get a new one/what's the best thing to wrap it in?

2000 323ci if it makes a difference.
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it'll rub on something. It's just a vacuum line. Yay for having the new-style CCV and not having to run that line :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, the M62 fills that bay well. Really the steering _is_ a bit vaguer, but certainly not to an extent that it makes it unpleasant -- and some judicious right foot brings everything back around in my opinion. These things feel amazing when you hammer it and get the rear planted nicely going into a curve.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Xenoid posted:

The only way to be upset with a 540 is if you feel like you should have gotten the M5.

Well, I can think of one way to be upset with a 540:

But you should already know that and fully accept it before buying one. My old E34 drank gas like it was going out of style.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guinness posted:

But you should already know that and fully accept it before buying one. My old E34 drank gas like it was going out of style.

My average since i bought the car is 12.2 l/100km(19.28 US mpg) with mostly city driving. I did a 400km road trip to pick up some wheels, averaged 130kph and still did 8.75 l/100km (26.8 MPG). Being a bmw owner i naturally drive like a twat, too.

As long as the car is running right, you'll do OK for economy as long as you accept that you're in a 3800lb v8 muscle car.

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, the M62 fills that bay well. Really the steering _is_ a bit vaguer, but certainly not to an extent that it makes it unpleasant -- and some judicious right foot brings everything back around in my opinion. These things feel amazing when you hammer it and get the rear planted nicely going into a curve.

Amen to that. Skinny winters and wet roads also makes for an incredibly enjoyable time as well.

Edit: also, i drove beside a 650i gran coupe x-drive. That has to be the best looking BMW to come out since the E46.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Guinness posted:

This is what kills me about some people with the whole fuel economy thing.

Your buying a V8 powered car. If your expecting anything better than 20, you really need to step away from it.

Considering the fact that a GIANT majority of American built cars just finally crossed the 30 mpg barrier, 20 MPG from a car that easily thumping 300 hp (they claim 282, but its well known they are derated) is pretty good in my books. But again, I have yet to ever own a car that has cracked the 25 mpg barrier in life.

Yes, I like to piss money away on gas. :colbert:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Well, there's bad mileage, then there's REALLY bad mileage. That's not far off the whopping 15 MPG I get in mine, but I'm making another 150+ hp for a 1 MPG difference.

Speaking of which, it occurred to me (I forget which thread this discussion was in) but I noticed some pretty big error in speedometer readout. Evolve is shipping me a programming cable that, among other things, will correct my speedometer to actual speed. I'm wondering if a side-effect of speedometers reading high is that mileage is also reading high, ie, at 100K you're really at 90K etc.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Das Volk posted:

Well, there's bad mileage, then there's REALLY bad mileage. That's not far off the whopping 15 MPG I get in mine, but I'm making another 150+ hp for a 1 MPG difference.

Speaking of which, it occurred to me (I forget which thread this discussion was in) but I noticed some pretty big error in speedometer readout. Evolve is shipping me a programming cable that, among other things, will correct my speedometer to actual speed. I'm wondering if a side-effect of speedometers reading high is that mileage is also reading high, ie, at 100K you're really at 90K etc.

Nope. The odometer is correct but the DME sends a higher signal to the speedo.

Don't ask me why.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

wallaka posted:

Nope. The odometer is correct but the DME sends a higher signal to the speedo.

Don't ask me why.

Yeah from what I understand this is correct. The computer knows the "true" (or at least a much more accurate) speed but intentionally sends a number fudged upward by about 5-10% to the speedometer. And it's not just BMWs, basically all cars speedos read 5-10% higher than actual road speed. BMWs do indicate notoriously high, though.

I've heard it has something to do with it being illegal for a car to indicate a speed lower than true road speed, so the manufacturers fudge it a little bit higher. I don't know how true that is, though.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I like the idea of having it corrected so I can certify it in case I need to fight a pacing ticket. I had a 96 in a 55 thrown out once on speedo certification, although that was based on the cop not having theirs in order rather than mine.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you ever hook up an OBD2 reader like torque, you can see what your actual speed is vs the speedometer.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

New Cold Weather CCV and vacuum lines are on.

Insulation on it seems solid, although I've already lost one of the little rubber bands holding it together. The connections weren't that hard to make. The most difficult one (the one that snakes thru and underneath the intake manifold) took me about 45 minutes and 3 beers, and that's because it's a blind connection. The others took around 10-15 minutes of work each. Dipstick line will go in last after I get the TB, ICV, etc. back on. Waiting on a TB gasket and a new DISA to button it up.

I'm assuming that it'll be fairly easy to discern what wire connections go where on the wire box via the cable length? In my stupidity, I didn't tag them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I pulled about 25 MPG measured at the pump over 2200 miles of roadtrip to Colorado and back, including ~400 miles of tooling around between 5000 feet and 14,000*. That sixth gear is a fuckin miracle worker when it comes to gas sippage. Computer says ~21 MPG (I reset the second when I bought it 10k ago) over time, it's a ballpark and sounds about right.

*wanna feel like a chump? take your NA car to the top of Pikes or Mt. Evans.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

If you ever hook up an OBD2 reader like torque, you can see what your actual speed is vs the speedometer.

That's still based on wheel speed if I remember right. Just boot up something that does GPS speed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jonny 290 posted:

I find the pitman arm type steering to be a little lovely in the corners but lovely on a highway. Its heavier and seems to behave better going over uneven highway or in bad weather than rack and pinion cars i've owned.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I hate to poo poo up the thread, but here's another one on my list:

http://www.certifiedautodirect.com/inventory/view/7188432?2002+BMW+5+Series+540i+4dr+Sdn+6-Spd+Manual+Euless+TX

Minor imperfections on the body, front right fender liner looks loose, doesnt look like it was that well taken care of? It's not that much more than the other one I posted.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

crutt posted:

I hate to poo poo up the thread, but here's another one on my list:

http://www.certifiedautodirect.com/inventory/view/7188432?2002+BMW+5+Series+540i+4dr+Sdn+6-Spd+Manual+Euless+TX

Minor imperfections on the body, front right fender liner looks loose, doesnt look like it was that well taken care of? It's not that much more than the other one I posted.

No worries. Again, if it looks beat on.... walk away. Granted the youngest E39 is 10 years old, and imperfections are normal, just fine one that was looked after.

Ding in the body? Seat ripped a little? But good records? I'd buy the poo poo out of it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I'm getting the "coolant level low" warning when I start and shut off my car (not when running). Its not going past the midway point on the temp gauge and looking in the coolant reservoir it looks a little low so I'm hoping it's not the sensor and is actually just a little low. My question is, what coolant should I get for a 1996 M3, from what I've read you should NOT mix different coloured coolants but I can't tell what the hell colour is in there right now cause the tank itself is offgreen. Will I be fine just buying whatever green/orange/teal/rainbow coolant to top it off?

Also at the end of the month I will be taking the M3 up to my parents and storing it over winter. It'll be sad to not drive it again tell spring but Wisconsin winters will destroy that car and I really want to keep it rust free (and my life). My backup winter car is a e30 325is and I miss the little guy so it's not all sad. This is my first year with the car and I'm not sure how to properly store it, anyone know of a good guide or general practices? It'll be kept in a garage obviously but how should I manage fluids and resting on the tires. I plan to do work on the car over the winter when I head up there (around Christmas) so it may need to be run once or twice.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 9, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There was no fuse in for the rear washer (once I remembered where the fuse box was) so I popped in a spare. I hit the rear washers and they ran continuously for about 6 seconds then stopped. Fuse is still good but it won't wash again. Still no wiper so I'm going to start with the multimeter tomorrow.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Popete posted:

So I'm getting the "coolant level low" warning when I start and shut off my car (not when running). Its not going past the midway point on the temp gauge and looking in the coolant reservoir it looks a little low so I'm hoping it's not the sensor and is actually just a little low. My question is, what coolant should I get for a 1996 M3, from what I've read you should NOT mix different coloured coolants but I can't tell what the hell colour is in there right now cause the tank itself is offgreen. Will I be fine just buying whatever green/orange/teal/rainbow coolant to top it off?

Also at the end of the month I will be taking the M3 up to my parents and storing it over winter. It'll be sad to not drive it again tell spring but Wisconsin winters will destroy that car and I really want to keep it rust free (and my life). My backup winter car is a e30 325is and I miss the little guy so it's not all sad. This is my first year with the car and I'm not sure how to properly store it, anyone know of a good guide or general practices? It'll be kept in a garage obviously but how should I manage fluids and resting on the tires. I plan to do work on the car over the winter when I head up there (around Christmas) so it may need to be run once or twice.

You should be using BMW blue coolant if at all possible. Even from a dealership it cost about the same as a bottle of any other coolant at an auto parts store, plus it's what the car was designed for in the first place. Don't mix it with any other colour though, and if your car has something other than BMW blue (which is more of a blue-green than blue), you should do a full flush before refilling.

As for storage, run your gas tank low, then add fuel stabiliser and fill the tank full, preferably with ethanol-free gas. An oil change would be a good idea as well if you're approaching a change interval, but reasonably fresh oil won't do any harm. Fill your tires properly and get a battery tender and you should be good to go.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

8ender posted:

I find the pitman arm type steering to be a little lovely in the corners but lovely on a highway. Its heavier and seems to behave better going over uneven highway or in bad weather than rack and pinion cars i've owned.
I always felt my E34 V8 drifted slightly on the highway, requiring constant correction. That annoyed me more than in corners, and it got a little annoying at times. Perhaps the E39 V8's have a better worm gear?

It's just a little sad that my old Golf from the 80's had sharper steering than a super-duper luxury BMW from the late 90's. :smith:

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Popete posted:

Just top it off w/ distilled water -- if its not *super* low, don't add coolant. Regarding storage, you can get pretty anal, but if you want to be able to fire it right up come spring time:
1) Add fuel stabilizer, idle the car for a couple minutes.

2) Disconnect the battery.

3) If you want to be anal about the tires, jack it up and put it on jackstands. Though tires rarely get irreparable flatspots unless they're super soft racing compound tires or are severely under inflated.

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 9, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I've been having a strange brake noises that I could use some guidance on. When I brake, I head a distinct 'clacking' sound from the front brakes, sometimes it happens exactly at the same time, sometimes I can hear it once from each wheel in quick succession. It only happens once per brake 'session,' as in, I can start to brake, the noise will occur, then it will not happen again if I get off the brakes then reapply them. It will happen consistently if I drive the car forwards and brake, then go reverse and brake, then forward again, etc. It sounds like the brake pads are moving around a bit inside the carrier, has anyone else had similar symptoms? I'm thinking about just taking the fronts apart and greasing the contact points up and seeing if that just solves the problem.

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 10, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
First thing to check RIGHT NOW is that the bolts holding the caliper haven't backed out.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If it was a loose caliper bracket it'd probably make a noise so bad you wouldn't want to drive the car. Ask me how I know!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sounds like the clip decided to depart. You should be able to visually check without removing a wheel.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Clips are still there, and the calipers feel solid. Yesterday I did a visual check and grabbed the whole assembly and gave it a good yank to check for any play and didn't feel anything. I will check the torque before I pull everything apart to make sure, but it felt pretty solid. Any other areas I should check?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Do you happen to have Akebono pads? I have a clunk when I brake lightly at low speeds, but I've read that Akebonos sometimes have fitment issues and one of the pads moves around slightly in the caliper.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

concise posted:

Do you happen to have Akebono pads? I have a clunk when I brake lightly at low speeds, but I've read that Akebonos sometimes have fitment issues and one of the pads moves around slightly in the caliper.

No idea, I'm afraid. I've had the same pads since I acquired the car a couple years ago, but I don't remember it doing this when I first got it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Are you sure it's brake noise? These cars don't normally have front brake clunking issues as long as the pads have life in them and the clips are there.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

8ender posted:

First thing to check RIGHT NOW is that the bolts holding the caliper haven't backed out.

My E30 was totaled because of this.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Trip report: they were Bosch pads, and disassembling and regreasing the contact points on the carrier seems to have resolved the noise for now. I also discovered the slide pins where corroded as all hell because some fuckwit didn't replace the dust caps though, so now I have to deal with that... I noticed on one side that the pad that is mounted on the piston was quite loose in the bore, like I could pop it out with very little pressure from just one finger, is this anything to be concerned about? I only mention it because I just did my rear pads, and they fit quite snugly so I wanted to make sure.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmm do the fronts have the fingers that spread out to stay in the piston bore? I thought that was just the rears. Been a while since I looked at my brakes. That will absolutely cause clunking. The fix is to either replace the pads or bend the fingers out a little bit.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Who knows the trick that I obviously don't know about the electrical connection to the Throttle Body on an e46?

I can seat it fully, but it isn't locked when I do that. I know it fastens by turning clockwise(I unseated it by turning CC), but I can't for the life of me get it to fasten that way. Any suggestions/ideas? Do the arrows line up? Is that the trick to getting it to rotate correctly to seat? (I've tried this already but been unsuccessful.

EDIT: Nevermind. Everyone else who has this problem should make sure the outside can spin independent of the plug. Mine was gunked up and couldn't.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

revmoo posted:

Hmm do the fronts have the fingers that spread out to stay in the piston bore? I thought that was just the rears. Been a while since I looked at my brakes. That will absolutely cause clunking. The fix is to either replace the pads or bend the fingers out a little bit.

They do indeed have the fingers. If it starts again I will give that a shot, thanks!