Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fulchrum posted:

So at the same time that he said the relase of the Ps4 and Xbox One would help the Wii U, Iwata claimed that high prices for digital content is better for the consumer, as it makes them appreciate the games more.

Because if they got it at a discount, gamers wouldn't care as much.

Nintendo seems to think that greed and manipulation are the best business strategies. But they're never in a company's best long term interests. Using cheap rear end hardware, trickling Virtual console releases in an attempt to make people buy every old game that comes out, and keeping new games overpriced for years doesn't inspire brand loyalty or positive word of mouth. What is wrong with a sincere effort to make the console as attractive as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

AngryCaterpillar posted:

...and keeping new games overpriced for years

Considering we constantly have to deal with poo poo from other companies like withheld content as future paid DLC, $10 online passes, and pre-order bonuses just to get the full experience on an average B level game, I don't mind paying retail price for a Nintendo AAA title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Nintendo seems to think that greed and manipulation are the best business strategies. But they're never in a company's best long term interests. Using cheap rear end hardware, trickling Virtual console releases in an attempt to make people buy every old game that comes out, and keeping new games overpriced for years doesn't inspire brand loyalty or positive word of mouth. What is wrong with a sincere effort to make the console as attractive as possible?

The pricing for Nintendo games stays high for a variety of reasons. For one, they tend to sell at that price. Another is that they don't engage in price protection with sellers and in turn the sellers are less likely to drop the price on their own because it means a more significant loss for them, especially because the games do sell at that price.

And you're absolutely being ridiculous if you're trying to argue that Nintendo is using 'greed and manipulation" but the other console developers are making 'sincere efforts.' They're also using their kinds of manipulation. X-Box Live is a big shining beacon of that, for example. Playstation Plus is marginally better for the consumer but a lot of others things Sony does are manipulative attempts to make people buy their consoles and games at the highest price possible. That is how companies work.

Sony is also trickling out PS1 and PS2 Classic releases in an effort to make people buy old games. Microsoft locks already paid services like Netflix behind barriers. Nintendo is doing a lot of things wrong but every company under the sun is focused on maximum profits at minimum cost.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2013

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

SO atth esame time that he said the relase of the Ps4 and Xbox One would help the Wii U, Iwata claimed that high prices for digital content is better for the consumer, as it makes them appreciate the games more.

Because if they got it at a discount, gamers wouldn't care as much.
I'm not sure that's what he means. I believe he's just saying that they want to sell their games at the highest price they can, and they achieve this by making sure their games are worth the money. I think he's using "value" in two different ways in the same sentence.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I don't know about Wii/Wii U games but I can say I am amazed Nintendo can get away with charging so much for 3DS games and still be a big success.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Nintendo seems to think that greed and manipulation are the best business strategies. But they're never in a company's best long term interests.
Frederick Douglass was alive when Nintendo started.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ImpAtom posted:

And you're absolutely being ridiculous if you're trying to argue that Nintendo is using 'greed and manipulation" but the other console developers are making 'sincere efforts.'

To some extent Sony is. While everything they do is ultimately manipulating the public into giving them as much money as possible (do I really have to add this obvious a qualifier to my argument?), their techniques for sustaining their popularity are a lot less myopic and out of touch than Nintendo's. The Vita and PS4 were specifically designed to suit the needs of developers, with developers being consulted in the decision making process. That's one example of Sony being prepared to let the customer benefit because they can also see it benefiting themselves. Combine that with a steady stream of releases from their back catalogue, a user account system that gives the customer piece of mind, lower digital distribution prices compared to retail, and capable hardware and infrastructure, and Nintendo comes off as relatively exploitive and unwilling to revise their thinking on short term profits for the sake of a higher quality product.

I am in no way calling Sony a paragon of ethics, not even close (they use horizontal product tying for one thing), but their strategies are a lot more pro-consumer in some key areas.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AgentJotun posted:

I don't know about Wii/Wii U games but I can say I am amazed Nintendo can get away with charging so much for 3DS games and still be a big success.

I don't know, for the most part the 3DS games seem to be worth what they charge. I've gotten lots of entertainment out of games like VLR, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Pokemon, worth $40 each.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I am in no way calling Sony a paragon of ethics, not even close (they use horizontal product tying for one thing), but their strategies are a lot more pro-consumer in some key areas.

On the other hand they're still doing lots of other anti-consumer things which Nintendo or Microsoft aren't, and Nintedo and Microsoft are doing things which I consider pro-consumer that Sony isn't. I've got my PS4 preordered and I think PSN+ is a pretty good deal for what it is, but in this case it's coming down more to what flavor of poo poo you want to swallow more than any particular one being very good. If Sony's at the head of the pack, they're still the coldest person in hell.

If you're seriously arguing that any one corporation has your interests at heart in any sincere way, you're wrong. If Sony thought they could do what Nintendo does sales-wise and make more of a profit of it, they would in a heartbeat. Hell, that's part of why we got the PS3 being what it was at the start. Sony was so sure that their name recognition and power was so strong they could do whatever they wanted that they almost killed the PS3 in the crib.

Sony does what they do because it benefits them. At best it happens to benefit the consumer as well. That doesn't mean agree with it but I don't think anyone here should be seriously arguing that any major console (or PC) developer or publisher is doing anything sincerely. I do think Nintendo isn't doing everything they could to make a worthwhile experience for the consumer AND a profitable experience for them, don't get me wrong. (Account system in giant glowing neon letters.) I just don't find it any more manipulative or anti-consumer than Sony or Microsoft's offerings.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 8, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand they're still doing lots of other anti-consumer things which Nintendo or Microsoft aren't, and Nintedo and Microsoft are doing things which I consider pro-consumer that Sony isn't. I've got my PS4 preordered and I think PSN+ is a pretty good deal for what it is, but in this case it's coming down more to what flavor of poo poo you want to swallow more than any particular one being very good. If Sony's at the head of the pack, they're still the coldest person in hell.

If you're seriously arguing that any one corporation has your interests at heart in any sincere way, you're wrong. If Sony thought they could do what Nintendo does sales-wise and make more of a profit of it, they would in a heartbeat. Hell, that's part of why we got the PS3 being what it was at the start. Sony was so sure that their name recognition and power was so strong they could do whatever they wanted that they almost killed the PS3 in the crib.

Sony does what they do because it benefits them. At best it happens to benefit the consumer as well. That doesn't mean agree with it but I don't think anyone here should be seriously arguing that any major console (or PC) developer or publisher is doing anything sincerely. I do think Nintendo isn't doing everything they could to make a worthwhile experience for the consumer AND a profitable experience for them, don't get me wrong. (Account system in giant glowing neon letters.) I just don't find it any more manipulative or anti-consumer than Sony or Microsoft's offerings.

I did say

quote:

everything they do is ultimately manipulating the public into giving them as much money as possible

Just because Sony recognises in some ways that putting real effort into creating a quality product makes the consumer happy, that doesn't mean they're doing it out of charity.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't know, for the most part the 3DS games seem to be worth what they charge. I've gotten lots of entertainment out of games like VLR, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Pokemon, worth $40 each.

I agree. I even feel like some first party 3DS games should be even more pricey - these games are more than worth the money.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ImpAtom posted:

... but in this case it's coming down more to what flavor of poo poo you want to swallow more than any particular one being very good.

So true... So how would you like your online play this generation, behind a paywall or nonexistent?

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

Astro7x posted:

So true... So how would you like your online play this generation, behind a paywall or nonexistent?

Aside from the much lower player populations, people can play Call of Duty just fine on the WiiU. I can attest to Injustice being comparable in performance to the other versions, and there's also Monster Hunter.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

That is one thing that annoys me as poo poo, I'll never play online again because I don't play online enough in the first place, ergo it's not worth buying any online service. Any game I'm likely to buy for online anyways will likely come to the PC so I guess I'll just steam it.

At least Nintendo's not locking me out of playing Mario Kart Wii U with all the hackers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

EDIT: poo poo, wrong thread.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The trick is, don't buy a PS4, and continue to buy games for the PS3.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

VeggieSmuggler posted:

I agree. I even feel like some first party 3DS games should be even more pricey - these games are more than worth the money.
This has come up in a few different threads and it's still a really weird thing to say. I like my 3DS a lot and I've never looked at it and said "man, I wish I'd paid more for this."

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

deadwing posted:

Just today you were arguing that games developed with the Xbone/PS4 in mind will not come to the Wii U.

Project CARS started out as a PC game, which are designed to be scalable to different hardware configurations. No PC game is going to require 5 GB of GDDR5 RAM for at least a few years.

They probably originally intended to have the PC version, and then one build that would be ported to the 360, PS3, and Wii U, but instead chose to keep the Wii U version while porting a more advanced version to the PS4 and Xbox One.

Racing games should be quite easy to scale, since each car has multiple levels of detail, and they can reduce the number of cars in a race too. Besides, I don't think a cross-generation game released just a few months after the consoles launch is the best example to prove that the Wii U is fully capable of running anything the PS4 and Xbox One can.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Surlaw posted:

This has come up in a few different threads and it's still a really weird thing to say. I like my 3DS a lot and I've never looked at it and said "man, I wish I'd paid more for this."
I would think that only a fanboy would say anything even close to that. Though they'd probably just buy another copy of that game from the store instead of asking for it to be 10$ more.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

Project CARS started out as a PC game, which are designed to be scalable to different hardware configurations. No PC game is going to require 5 GB of GDDR5 RAM for at least a few years.

Sooner than that. Assassins Creed 4 recommends 4 gigs and Watch Dogs is probably going to recommend 4+. Once developers no longer have to worry about squeezing everything into less-than 512 megs of RAM requirements will shoot up dramatically.

EDIT: The new Call of Duty requires 6 gigs and recommends 8.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 8, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo is still doing the same advertising push that they did earlier this year, that they did last year, that they seem stubborn to ever change. Only advertising on kids television networks. Ad for Mario 3D World on Cartoon Network today. Zero ads during all three of last night's heavily-watched football games.

Saw multiple PS4 and Xbox One ads. One Xbox One ad specifically highlighted how the system's multi-app OS is useful for fantasy football owners and watching the game. Zero Wii U ads.

Don't really know what Nintendo is expecting this holiday. It can't possibly be making money.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

Sooner than that. Assassins Creed 4 recommends 4 gigs and Watch Dogs is probably going to recommend 4+. Once developers no longer have to worry about squeezing everything into less-than 512 megs of RAM requirements will shoot up dramatically.

Yeah, now that consoles that aren't 8 years old are coming out, system requirements are going to shoot up very, very quickly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo is still doing the same advertising push that they did earlier this year, that they did last year, that they seem stubborn to ever change. Only advertising on kids television networks. Ad for Mario 3D World on Cartoon Network today. Zero ads during all three of last night's heavily-watched football games.

Saw multiple PS4 and Xbox One ads. One Xbox One ad specifically highlighted how the system's multi-app OS is useful for fantasy football owners and watching the game. Zero Wii U ads.

Don't really know what Nintendo is expecting this holiday. It can't possibly be making money.

According to Iwata, the new consoles are going to be good for the Wii U! All the people flooding in to the shopping centres on Black Friday might catch a glimpse of the Wii U section tucked away in the corner.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

The_Franz posted:

The new Call of Duty requires 6 gigs and recommends 8.

Haha what. That's the funniest thing I've read all day

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The new Call of Duty won't run without 6gb of ram, and it only uses 1.5

It's literally "MORE = BETTER" marketing poo poo taken to some kind of bizarro-world extreme.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Most console to PC ports are horrible garbage. Devs will just have the game eat 4x the memory that's actually necessary because why bother optimizing it. This will probably be much less of a problem with the PC architecture of the new consoles, though, which just means Infinity Ward is incompetent.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Surlaw posted:

Yeah... almost always when people have suggestions for how to make a company better, it involves giving them less money. "Here's how to save Nintendo, put all VC games on the eShop for $1, make the system cheaper at $200, and make all games $40!"

It's almost like they are targeting different demographics...

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 9, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

They're not, though. Nintendo is just as much about pandering to nostalgia as they are about being family friendly. Mario 3D World is full of callbacks to older Mario games, including a level based on the original SNES Mario Kart. They've played to both sides of the aisle in designing the system and its games. But they have not with their advertising, and they have gained nothing out of only promoting the Wii U to children, whose parents are completely in the dark about what Wii U is. They should be advertising to the people who actually will be spending money on the system.

Do you really think no one watching football has ever played a Nintendo system in their lifetime? How about anyone watching primetime television? Do you think none of them have kids? Or a family?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 9, 2013

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Most console to PC ports are horrible garbage. Devs will just have the game eat 4x the memory that's actually necessary because why bother optimizing it. This will probably be much less of a problem with the PC architecture of the new consoles, though, which just means Infinity Ward is incompetent.

Or, they use more memory because it lets them do things like load higher resolution textures and cache things for a smoother experience and faster load times. It's not 1992 anymore and memory is cheap and plentiful. Optimizing means keeping as much data in memory as possible so the next time you need it it's right there instead of having to wait for it to load from a potentially slow disk.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

I'm a manchild and watch Cartoon Network constantly. I've not seen many WiiU ads, and the Mario 3d World ones focus on it being multiplayer and a 3d Mario game. They seem weird to me and don't make me that excited.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

either that or they just ported the 360 version and thought no optimization would make it look more next gen.

Astro7x posted:

Because wiiu is just a device for kids and kids alone, right? It's not like they were making a console that the whole family, and the obligatory nintendo fans can enjoy.

Wasper fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo is for babies

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

So Nintendo isn't advertising on channels adults watch. How do you account for this?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Astro7x posted:

What's the American TV channel for people trapped in the early '90s?

Nintendo should advertise there.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

What's the American TV channel for people trapped in the early '90s?

Nintendo should advertise there.

Doesn't Nick at Nite show Fresh Prince of Bellaire and Full House now?

God, that makes me feel old.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Yeah... almost always when people have suggestions for how to make a company better, it involves giving them less money. "Here's how to save Nintendo, put all VC games on the eShop for $1, make the system cheaper at $200, and make all games $40!"

It's more important to get people to buy Wii U's right now than to gouge them for money with lovely virtual console pricing.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
They should put all their VC games on the eShop. A little lovely that the catalog didn't carry over from the Wii.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

They're not, though. Nintendo is just as much about pandering to nostalgia as they are about being family friendly. Mario 3D World is full of callbacks to older Mario games, including a level based on the original SNES Mario Kart. They've played to both sides of the aisle in designing the system and its games. But they have not with their advertising, and they have gained nothing out of only promoting the Wii U to children, whose parents are completely in the dark about what Wii U is. They should be advertising to the people who actually will be spending money on the system.

Do you really think no one watching football has ever played a Nintendo system in their lifetime? How about anyone watching primetime television? Do you think none of them have kids? Or a family?

I don't think that football fans don't like Nintendo games. But I work in video production and advertising so I am very familiar with just how loving expensive media buys can be for commercials. When you don't necessarily have to worry about your advertising budget being higher than the revenue you take in like Microsoft, you can go hog wild and buy prime time advertising on the highest rated shows aimed towards the most key demographics. Especially on highly rated programming like live sports, that can charge a premium because their audience is more captivated and don't time shift and skip commercials.

I've seen so many clients have to settle for just doing web based advertising because they can't afford the media buy for a commercial. I licensed a background music track for a client the other week. A 6 week region run on some basic cable stations cost $15,000, for just the music! So when I see people say "Why don't I see commercials on every channel all the time!" I don't think they understand that it's not the best financial decision financially to do that.

You also don't advertise to the person that buys the product, you advertise to the person you are selling it to. You don't put the kids cereals at the adult's eye line in the grocery store, you put it down where they can see it and they ask mom and dad to buy it for them. When Mario Kart 7 came out my boss asked me about it because his kid saw the commercial and wanted it, then he asked me if he needed a 3DS or if it was for the regular DS. And then he bought it, and he didn't even see the commercial.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 9, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And how's that working for the Wii U so far?

That's okay though, when the system finishes its disasterous run they can just come out and say "it's not our fault, advertising is so gosh darn expensive" and everyone will understand.

It's like that old phrase, you gotta not spend money to... hope things magically work out somehow.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

I've seen so many clients have to settle for just doing web based advertising because they can't afford the media buy for a commercial. I licensed a background music track for a client the other week. A 6 week region run on some basic cable stations cost $15,000, for just the music! So when I see people say "Why don't I see commercials on every channel all the time!" I don't think they understand that it's not the best financial decision financially to do that.

There are still people who, one week before the PS4 comes out on the market, believe that the Wii U is an attachment to the Wii. Their advertising efforts suck.

You can't spin out excuses about the costs of advertising in the same thread where some of the most ardent defenders of the Wii U have been more than happy to trot out Nintendo's Bag Of Infinite Money That Exists Somewhere. Sitting on all that money, both for securing games for the system, and for advertising that the thing exists, has done exactly zero favors for them. A little bit more aggression when it comes to securing advertising spots isn't going to hurt them any more than sitting on their hands and doing comparatively little next to their competition.

• Locked thread