Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I haven't played a wrestling game in years, but the graphics actually look worse than they did 5+ years ago. Is it just the quality of the recording or something? The models look like they came straight out of Smackdown 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

cmndstab posted:

I haven't played a wrestling game in years, but the graphics actually look worse than they did 5+ years ago. Is it just the quality of the recording or something? The models look like they came straight out of Smackdown 2.

It's 2k s first WWE game as they just got the license from THQ when they closed so I'm not surprised in the least that it is hosed. Next year should at least be playable as they will have a full development cycle.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So the pirates blunderbus in Chivalry: Deadliest warriors apparently has the force of a cannon, which leads to some interesting physics glitches.

Bonus broken knight animations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

WWE 14 is the mecca of unintentional glitches. I love that it is so broken and wrong. Especially if people play that game "competitively"

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Sherringford posted:

The fact that seems to be Sin Cara makes it even funnier to me. Did anything in special trigger the glitch or did it just happen out of nowhere?

Completely out of nowhere. Fatal 4-Way ladder match, nobody was near him and he just decided to hoverbounce.

And cmndstab, the camera quality isn't doing it any favors, but it's pretty rough looking anyway. I'd say some of the older WWE games definitely looked better.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Soulex posted:

WWE 14 is the mecca of unintentional glitches.

There's no other kind of glitch, by definition. :eng101:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Vine sauce :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't really count Vinesauce stuff as glitches. Simulations of glitches, maybe.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Yeah, they're corruptions, intentionally tampering with the code. Glitches just sort of happen.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Lizard Wizard posted:

You could make a case for glitches that are deliberately left intact for one reason or another as being "intentional glitches".

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Benly posted:

You could make a case for glitches that are deliberately left intact for one reason or another as being "intentional glitches".

At this point it becomes a feature. If part of a program is acting the way the programmer wants it to, then it is not in fact a glitch.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think he's shooting for "exactly easily reproducible unintended behavior", something like "If you use this one ability in this one spot you can get your character 'out of bounds' which lets you finish the level quicker" as compared to "I dunno, the guy just started bouncing up and down!"

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Isn't the story that the insane police response in the original GTA was a glitch that the testers had so much fun with they decided to keep it in?

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Vomax posted:

Isn't the story that the insane police response in the original GTA was a glitch that the testers had so much fun with they decided to keep it in?

I have heard that as well.

Once I was running from the po-po in GTAIV. I ran into a fence and was kind of stuck on the terrain--I couldn't see what I was stuck on. I had three stars, I think. Anyway, a cop car runs into me, and for some reason can't get out of his vehicle, doesn't shoot at me, doesn't really do anything but just... sit there, car revving. And then another cop comes--I'm still stuck on the terrain, and don't want to get out of the car and suicide-by-cop myself. This cop car DRIVES OVER the other cop car to get to me. Then like five more come and do the same thing, until I am at the bottom of a cop-car Katamari ball. I escaped because one of the cars somehow dislodged me and I just drove out from under them. It's never happened again, even though I've tried to make it work again.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

I have heard that as well.

Once I was running from the po-po in GTAIV. I ran into a fence and was kind of stuck on the terrain--I couldn't see what I was stuck on. I had three stars, I think. Anyway, a cop car runs into me, and for some reason can't get out of his vehicle, doesn't shoot at me, doesn't really do anything but just... sit there, car revving. And then another cop comes--I'm still stuck on the terrain, and don't want to get out of the car and suicide-by-cop myself. This cop car DRIVES OVER the other cop car to get to me. Then like five more come and do the same thing, until I am at the bottom of a cop-car Katamari ball. I escaped because one of the cars somehow dislodged me and I just drove out from under them. It's never happened again, even though I've tried to make it work again.

My favorite GTA glitch was rather simple but absolutely hysterical. In San Andreas, a bike cop happened to get in the way of my molotov rampage as he was stopping at a red light. Instead of, you know, reacting, he just sits there on his bike, waiting for the light to change. When it goes green, he drives down the road for about half a block when he suddenly realizes that he is burning to death and starts freaking the gently caress out until he finally loses control of the bike and dies.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
We talking about wrestling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDkye6IwPE&t=1263s

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Wrestling, you say?

http://youtu.be/MbSYGzFIMOc?t=32m52s

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Vomax posted:

I have heard the same about the giants sending people into orbit in Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4_zCod9cM

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Best GTAIV glitch has got to be the swingsets. If you do it right, you can launch clear into Alderny.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

Best GTAIV glitch has got to be the swingsets. If you do it right, you can launch clear into Alderny.

A GIF I posted at the beginning of the thread, an attempted arrest on the Swingset of Doom:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

TaurusTorus posted:

In Saints' Row IV, I think if you upgrade your sprint to have the Vortex effect when you do a super jump near or on vehicles, you'll launch straight up into the stratosphere. You can even do it while standing on a falling aircraft.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Zzulu posted:

Reminds me of

Which still cracks me up for some reason

Reminds me of playing Fallout 3 when my video memory went bad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tehloki/sets/72157608780813716/

Highlight:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I also had a really weird experience trying to play Telltale's The Walking Dead on a laptop with integrated graphics. Don't scroll TOO far unless you want spoilers.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tehloki/screenshots/?appid=207610&sort=oldestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The PC version of Oblivion has support for 360 controllers.

Sort of.

I'm not sure why - possibly a very small deadzone - using a 360 controller tends to leave your character slowly drifting in one direction or another, and if it starts to do this, be ready to fight the controls. The game uses your 360 controller if it's plugged in upon startup, so more like than not you'll run into this if you've been playing some controller-based game for a while and decide to take the ol' Elder Scrolls for a whirl. Naturally, upon encountering this problem you unplug your controller, and if you're MOVING when you unplug it (which OF COURSE YOU ARE if you're experiencing the glitch) it tanks your movement speed until you close the game.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Nov 7, 2013

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think it has a sort of generic support for controllers like a lot of games from around those years. Since the 360 controller has no dead zone setting in the drivers, if games aren't programmed with their own you get that. It really lends driving games that "Desert Bus" effect.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

carry on then posted:

I think it has a sort of generic support for controllers like a lot of games from around those years. Since the 360 controller has no dead zone setting in the drivers, if games aren't programmed with their own you get that. It really lends driving games that "Desert Bus" effect.

It uses the same control scheme as the 360 version when a 360 controller is present, so I'm pretty sure they put SOME time into it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

But do the buttons show the correct labels? That's usually how I can tell they actually brought full support and didn't just include a default mapping for controls.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The PC version of TF2 also has 360 controller support, and it's actually pre-programmed with different speeds based on how far you tilt the joystick. Which is entirely pointless considering there's never any reason not to be going at top speed at all times in TF2.

But it's great for picking Scout with, and moving so painfully slowly that your whole team will start actively trying to push you to the objective.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

tehloki posted:

I also had a really weird experience trying to play Telltale's The Walking Dead on a laptop with integrated graphics. Don't scroll TOO far unless you want spoilers.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tehloki/screenshots/?appid=207610&sort=oldestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

The Walking Deadly Premonition.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

miscellaneous14 posted:

The PC version of TF2 also has 360 controller support, and it's actually pre-programmed with different speeds based on how far you tilt the joystick. Which is entirely pointless considering there's never any reason not to be going at top speed at all times in TF2.

But it's great for picking Scout with, and moving so painfully slowly that your whole team will start actively trying to push you to the objective.

It also still lets you turn on a dime as a demoknight :getin:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

tehloki posted:

There's a video containing some of these visual bugs. It makes the characters look way more horrifying than the actual zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terpv-Rb4q4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

edit.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Nov 7, 2013

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

This was also my favorite horrible part.

EDIT: Again, I don't know if this is a glitch, but I am a large fan of the "floating props" in prophunt. When you switch to a prop that's kind of big, sometimes you'll get caught on the prop you changed into and start just rising slowly into the air. It really makes it hard to hide.

Also, if someone jumps on top of you, you both get stuck. I think it's just the way the game works, though, not a glitch. It is still funny, however, to hide the entire round as a pair of plants, on a pedestal, one atop the other, and no hunters notice.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
A nice quick one. Way back in my Oblivion days, I decided to rank up my Alchemy skill, which of course meant I had to make a shitload of garbage potions. For fun, I threw them all out, individually, into a large basket. The basket and all the potions (some 100 of them) were all physics objects.

Right around the 80 mark, the basket was nearly full, and rumbled as if possessed constantly. The glass clinked quietly and ominously as the physics engine warned against going further. Just as I was finishing a grind session, I put my last potion for the day on the top of the basket. It hovered over the top, slid to the side and fell off. I was determined, however, to put all my junk potions into that basket.

Upon moving it there again, the basket shot over to the wall and climbed up to the ceiling, then exploded all the potions all over the gently caress, causing them to ricochet off everything in the house, going through closed doors, blasting books off shelves, the works. Since I was a :spergin: back in those days and felt the need to clean it up, I was still finding Potions of Fatigue weeks later.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Similarly, In Oblivion you buy yourself a fine keep in one of the DLC packs.
It was my duty to reclaim every human heart from those Daerdic heathens and store them in my abode until I could find the rightful owners to return them. Some adventurers display Elven masterwork swords or Dwarven jewelry in their glass cabinets.

Not me.

No, my home would be a temple to my cardiac crusade.
Every heart would be kept in the glass cases in my front room so that visitors could see the full breadth of my deeds and admire me for my works. Once one case was positively brimming with human hearts, I would close the lid and MERCIFUL LORD!
The hearts, they began to beat anew!

Perhaps these organs held some humanity in them still and could, somehow, communicate with one another. Maybe each piece was whispering to its neighbor suggesting they become human once more.
My duty then lay in coating the interior of every case with as many hearts as possible. I was no wizard nor alchemist, nor was I was a modern Prometheus but ever did this life did spark from whence there was NOTHING!

Alas, dear reader, as it is with many great minds, my hubris would be my undoing.
I could not tell you how many hearts it took and if I were to recount it accurately, it would steal the breath of babes but eventually my lust for life caused a catastrophic failure.
Upon returning to my keep with a bounty of natures most wonderful herbs and fruits (and a few insects and butterflies to tamp into an experimental poultice) my weathered nerves were jolted into new attention. A thunderclap of glass and meat struck the echoing halls and assailed my senses. Some invisible, wretched devil crept just beyond my sight and saw fit to unleash my collection and haphazardly redecorate my warm and familiar home and transform it into an alter to chaos; a shrine to his mad-god.

Near as I could gather, this trickster did not grace my possessions with its vile fingers; no objects, no matter their value, had been removed. Truly the pious man whom keeps the righteous spirit of The Nine in his will could never begin to understand these methods but the ground where this demon lays its head to rest must be hell indeed.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I used to get that same glitch even in Oblivion and same again in Skyrim. I liked trying to decorate my house with all my precious shinies but putting them into a nice bowl on the table usually resulted in their reaching some weird gem critical mass and exploding all over the house.

Funny glitch I think might be a glitch but could have been actual gameplay was that quest in Skyrim you have to go into a cave where people are summoning something and interrupt it. So I head there and cave is full of mages AND skeleton guys who are all just chilling together and I don't have any armour because I found a pretty dress... yeh anyway I had this thing where I love to see what's the furthest target I can hit with an arrow and I actually managed to plug some skeleton waaaay off into the distance.

This does something to the AI or fucks up what gets blamed for the attack and the skeleton guys loving go apeshit on the mage guys and all manner of hell breaks loose and the guys doing the summoning end up being killed and I get the 'you have successfully stopped blah blah blah' without having even been spotted by them. I go in and pick off the survivors, collect loot.

I didn't know it was supposed to trigger cutscenes and dialogue and poo poo until I attempted a playthrough using a melee character. Kinda wish I'd recorded it but maybe it'd still work, I'd try again but they ruined the game with loving killcam on arrows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's fairly easy to get that cave to blow up with an arrow that way. It's my preferred method.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I was streaming the PC version of Deadly Premonition a few hours ago and this happened (Fast forward to 3 minutes if you dont want to wait)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

miscellaneous14 posted:

How can you push your own teammates push you when friendlies have no collision?

My favorite Oblivion glitch is the game bugging the gently caress out if you try to sit down after completing the Knights of the Nine DLC. You remain static and in third person mode with only the camera in your control. It lasts for a few minutes but feels like eternity. It doesn't sound like such a big deal for that game. When would you ever need to place your virtual self in a chair?

Then you load up Shivering Isles. Oh, you want to meet Sheogorath? Why don't you take a seat... :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

My favorite Oblivion glitch is the game bugging the gently caress out if you try to sit down after completing the Knights of the Nine DLC.

What the gently caress line of code is that? :stare: