Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
It's just come to my attention that the state listed for my father's birth on my marriage licence is inaccurate- I thought he was born here in CA, but it was actually NV. I'm guessing that information is a formality and doesn't really affect anything, but just in case, is there any reason I should amend my licence to get an accurate birthplace for my father?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess you can ask for moving expenses up front. This happens often. Employment contracts can also have early termination provisions.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Sefer posted:

It's just come to my attention that the state listed for my father's birth on my marriage licence is inaccurate- I thought he was born here in CA, but it was actually NV. I'm guessing that information is a formality and doesn't really affect anything, but just in case, is there any reason I should amend my licence to get an accurate birthplace for my father?

Do you think there's any chance in hell that you'll be using that information on your birth certificate as evidence in a trial, or that someone will be using it as evidence in a trial against you? Because if not, I can't see any reason to get it fixed.

Unless it really bugs you, that is. Its not a terribly difficult thing to fix in my state (Oklahoma) but California may be a different situation.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bet it'd take 37 forms and physically visiting at least four actual offices (only one of them actually a government department) in Pennsylvania, I'm pretty sure.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I have a voting-weirdness question.

Last year, I moved to another county, but still live in the same state, and I apparently didn't update my voter registration. When I checked the website showing where to vote, it still showed my old address, and directed me to a polling place in my old county. I went there, and they checked my ID, and told me that I was flagged as an inactive voter. I said "That's an old address, would that be why?" and they said probably and gave me some forms to fill out -- a new voter registration and an affidavit of eligibility, both of which I filled out with my new address and signed. They gave me a regular ballot, not a provisional ballot, and I voted and left.

Did I break the law? And, if so, should I be worried about them coming to get me? I didn't do it on purpose, I just did what the very nice man at the desk told me to do. I'm actually kind of worried.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Masonic Youth posted:

I have a voting-weirdness question.

Last year, I moved to another county, but still live in the same state, and I apparently didn't update my voter registration. When I checked the website showing where to vote, it still showed my old address, and directed me to a polling place in my old county. I went there, and they checked my ID, and told me that I was flagged as an inactive voter. I said "That's an old address, would that be why?" and they said probably and gave me some forms to fill out -- a new voter registration and an affidavit of eligibility, both of which I filled out with my new address and signed. They gave me a regular ballot, not a provisional ballot, and I voted and left.

Did I break the law? And, if so, should I be worried about them coming to get me? I didn't do it on purpose, I just did what the very nice man at the desk told me to do. I'm actually kind of worried.

Maybe? (What state are you in?)
No, not at all.
Don't be.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Oh man. You really, really screwed up. That's voter ID fraud and it will get you deported to Mexico by President Obama himself. I'm sorry dude :(

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Sorry, jurisdiction is Nebraska.
Nebraska is an employment-at-will jurisdiction, so unless your wife had a contract requiring them to have "cause" to fire her you're probably best off forgetting it.
The NE supreme court has already told someone with better facts than yours to go take a hike: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ne-supreme-court/1299351.html

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I was in a meeting recently, and my manager informed us we were behind on meeting our teams goals, because of poor performance earlier in the year before any of the people in said meeting worked for the company. He then told us how upset he was to see everyone leave at quitting time when there was still work to be done, and that he didn't know how our our employment looked going forward. I am fairly sure that encouraging employees to perform unpaid overtime is not only unethical, but is also illegal.

What would be my best move from here?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are salaried there is no such thing as overtime, friend.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Old Man Pants posted:

I was in a meeting recently, and my manager informed us we were behind on meeting our teams goals, because of poor performance earlier in the year before any of the people in said meeting worked for the company. He then told us how upset he was to see everyone leave at quitting time when there was still work to be done, and that he didn't know how our our employment looked going forward. I am fairly sure that encouraging employees to perform unpaid overtime is not only unethical, but is also illegal.

What state are you in?

And are you sure the overtime would be unpaid?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

euphronius is probably right, but your location and type of work is super relevant here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is the federal law on overtime. Well a summary of it.

http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html

I am assuming you may fall in here

quote:

Exempt professional job duties.

The job duties of the traditional "learned professions" are exempt. These include lawyers, doctors, dentists, teachers, architects, clergy. Also included are registered nurses (but not LPNs), accountants (but not bookkeepers), engineers (who have engineering degrees or the equivalent and perform work of the sort usually performed by licensed professional engineers), actuaries, scientists (but not technicians), pharmacists, and other employees who perform work requiring "advanced knowledge" similar to that historically associated with the traditional learned professions.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

euphronius posted:

Not strictly true, actually. An employer can characterize its payment to a fry cook as a salary, but that doesn't mean the fry cook doesn't qualify for overtime.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Old Man Pants posted:

Are you salaried?
What kind of work do you do?
Where do you work?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

I am not salaried, nor are any of the other people who were being addressed, we are all hourly.

Thanatosian posted:

What state are you in?

And are you sure the overtime would be unpaid?

CO.

He told us they are already over budget and that we should work to get the job done to make our boss look good, and that we would not be paid overtime.

Edit: I do IT/Telecom work.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Old Man Pants posted:

I am not salaried, nor are any of the other people who were being addressed, we are all hourly.
Is he clocking you out at the end of the day and not letting you leave?

e:

Old Man Pants posted:

I do IT/Telecom work.
Do you make more than 27.63 an hour?
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17e_computer.htm

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 8, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Old Man Pants posted:

Edit: I do IT/Telecom work.

That could get complicated:

quote:

However, Section 13(a)(1) and Section 13(a)(17) of the FLSA provide an exemption from both minimum wage and overtime pay for computer systems analysts, computer programmers, software engineers, and other similarly skilled workers in the computer field who meet certain tests regarding their job duties and who are paid at least $455 per week on a salary basis or paid on an hourly basis, at a rate not less than $27.63 an hour.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17e_computer.htm

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

joat mon posted:

Is he clocking you out at the end of the day and not letting you leave?

We submit our hours every week online, and are not on a stamped timecard system. We have not been told we aren't allowed to leave but it was stated "as new employees, this is your chance to make a good impression on your boss and to make him look good so he will stand up for you" I am 100% sure it is an employers duty to make sure no work is going to happen when the employee is not being paid, and am more looking for advice on what to do here. Do I go to HR? The labor board? Other option?

I make less than $27 an hour for the above poster

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it a new company? Do you know what the sales are per year?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

Is it a new company? Do you know what the sales are per year?

It is not a new company, they operate a Tier 1 network. The company provides core transport, IP, voice, video, and content delivery for most of the medium to large Internet carriers in North America.

No idea what sales figures are.

Feel free to google that, but I'd like to leave the company name out of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably more than 500,000 a year?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

Probably more than 500,000 a year?

Most definitely. I have accounts I work with every day worth 6 figures.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Freaking out a bit, so bear with please.

My mom moved out of her old place, where I grew up, 2 years ago. The plan was for her to gift it to me, get the land and home in my name, and my wife and I to move there.

Well, when we looked at it, it needed everything, so since then we've replaced the entire roof and were in the process of gutting the interior.

Well today she went for a social security review and they said she had to sell it for a certain amount, which is WAY above the 2,000 dollar limit they allow you. She claims they're trying to tell her they could sell it for back taxes which must be horseshit as I've paid taxes on it for the past 3 years and have receipts to prove that.

I've not once tried to circumvent the law, but between a new rent lease in January, I had planned on moving out there in the next month or so, the papers were at our lawyers and finalized this week and I was literally going to sign them today. Now I'm pissed off and don't know what the gently caress and I won't be able to get back in time to sign them.

ANY advice or knowledge would save me from a 10 megaton freakout.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

gileadexile posted:

My mom moved out of her old place, where I grew up, 2 years ago. The plan was for her to gift it to me, get the land and home in my name, and my wife and I to move there.

Well, when we looked at it, it needed everything, so since then we've replaced the entire roof and were in the process of gutting the interior.

Well today she went for a social security review and they said she had to sell it for a certain amount, which is WAY above the 2,000 dollar limit they allow you. She claims they're trying to tell her they could sell it for back taxes which must be horseshit as I've paid taxes on it for the past 3 years and have receipts to prove that.

I've not once tried to circumvent the law, but between a new rent lease in January, I had planned on moving out there in the next month or so, the papers were at our lawyers and finalized this week and I was literally going to sign them today. Now I'm pissed off and don't know what the gently caress and I won't be able to get back in time to sign them.

I'm guessing your mom is getting SSI? SSI is for people without (much) income or assets. At the review, they found out your mom isn't/wasn't really eligible because she has resources worth in excess of $2000 - a house which is not her residence (if she lived there it wouldn't count against her resource limit). In order to stay on SSI, your mom will have to agree to try to sell, and sell, the house - and then probably pay some money back to social security.
You mom could have given you the house, then waited 3 years to apply for SSI; that's a way to circumvent the 'lack of resources' requirement. There might also be some transfer/live there and pay rent finagling that could be done - ask a social security layer.
Social security can't force your mom to sell the house; but while she owns the house and doesn't live there, she can't get SSI - and may need to pay back the SSI she received but wasn't eligible for. (this may be the 'back taxes' mom is talking about - it's not back taxes, it's 'back' SSI)

Your and your mom need a lawyer who does social security work.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-sell-resources.htm
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/357
http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 8, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

Most definitely. I have accounts I work with every day worth 6 figures.

IANAL, but if your company is pretty big you might try asking people who work on another team/for another manager if this is standard practice. It could just be your manager being a jerk and trying to make himself look good, or it could be that you work for a company of assholes with a terrible corporate culture that promotes screwing over its employees.

If it's the former, going to HR is probably the right step. If it's the latter you might want to start looking for a new job.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

IANAL, but if your company is pretty big you might try asking people who work on another team/for another manager if this is standard practice. It could just be your manager being a jerk and trying to make himself look good, or it could be that you work for a company of assholes with a terrible corporate culture that promotes screwing over its employees.

If it's the former, going to HR is probably the right step. If it's the latter you might want to start looking for a new job.
Generally speaking, the moment you go to HR is a good time to start looking for a new job. Frequently, even if you win, your quality of life at your job takes a substantial downward turn.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Thanatosian posted:

Generally speaking, the moment you go to HR is a good time to start looking for a new job. Frequently, even if you win, your quality of life at your job takes a substantial downward turn.

This. No matter what they might say, HR is not there for you, they are there for the company. Doesn't mean there aren't times when you should go to them about something, but always be aware that they are not on your side, they're on the side of saving money and avoiding liability for the company. Occasionally, those two sides might be the same, but if they're not, don't be surprised when you get the short end of the stick.

Also, while retaliation for reporting certain things is illegal, there are plenty of ways to make your working life miserable that are really hard to prove as retaliatory in a court (and that's if you can even afford a long drawn-out legal battle in the first place). Unless whatever violations going on are the sort that put people's health or lives at risk (serious safety violations, physical violence, etc.), it might be better just to quietly find another job and then report your old company's illegal practices to the appropriate authorities after you've left.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've been screwed by amazon.ca, just found out that they charged my debit card $80 for a Prime membership that I didn't sign up for. Problem is I was looking over an old statement, so the charge is six weeks old at this point. If Amazon won't cough up a refund, is it worthwhile to go to the bank and see about getting the charge refunded?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I've been screwed by amazon.ca, just found out that they charged my debit card $80 for a Prime membership that I didn't sign up for. Problem is I was looking over an old statement, so the charge is six weeks old at this point. If Amazon won't cough up a refund, is it worthwhile to go to the bank and see about getting the charge refunded?

Have you tried contacting them about it? When they auto-renewed my Prime membership from a free trial, they refunded the money when I told them I hadn't used any of the Prime benefits.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Loopyface posted:

Have you tried contacting them about it? When they auto-renewed my Prime membership from a free trial, they refunded the money when I told them I hadn't used any of the Prime benefits.

I'll try this. What's strange is that I just ordered from amazon and didn't get any Prime benefits, so it really made me notice when I saw the charge on this statement. I had to talk to someone online for a while for the right to get called and put on hold, but hopefully this'll work out.

edit: Oops. Turns out I made a new Amazon account a couple months back and signed up for Prime with that one. They saw that I haven't been using it and still using the old one, so they refunded the payment and everything's good :)

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 9, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

dennyk posted:

This. No matter what they might say, HR is not there for you, they are there for the company. Doesn't mean there aren't times when you should go to them about something, but always be aware that they are not on your side, they're on the side of saving money and avoiding liability for the company. Occasionally, those two sides might be the same, but if they're not, don't be surprised when you get the short end of the stick.

Also, while retaliation for reporting certain things is illegal, there are plenty of ways to make your working life miserable that are really hard to prove as retaliatory in a court (and that's if you can even afford a long drawn-out legal battle in the first place). Unless whatever violations going on are the sort that put people's health or lives at risk (serious safety violations, physical violence, etc.), it might be better just to quietly find another job and then report your old company's illegal practices to the appropriate authorities after you've left.

I wondered if maybe the manager might be doing things which the company might not be aware/approve of, which is why I suggested OP ask people on another team to see if this is the status quo. If so, bad company, sever. If not, bad manager, probably something the business would want to know about and might even look kindly on?

But you just gave me a real cloudy outlook on HR in general. I know it's true, but it bums me out. :smith:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

kedo posted:

This is good, I will do this.

Thanatosian posted:

I realize this, but am not really established in the company/industry yet and want to make it here until at least february to collect my bonus.

dennyk posted:

Retaliation is a huge no no in this company, something the we even have had to take a training on, so I am not really worried about that.

kedo posted:

I wondered if maybe the manager might be doing things which the company might not be aware/approve of, which is why I suggested OP ask people on another team to see if this is the status quo. If so, bad company, sever. If not, bad manager, probably something the business would want to know about and might even look kindly on?

But you just gave me a real cloudy outlook on HR in general. I know it's true, but it bums me out. :smith:

I honestly believe that this is just the manager being a jackass bully to newish people to cover his own rear end because they had terrible numbers earlier that he doesn't want to have to explain to the VPs, but I will definitely talk to some people on other teams that I know in the company.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gileadexile posted:

How old is your mom.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Is this bait and switch or a general pricing error. Last week I bought what I thought was one of tigerdirects crazy good deals. A case of foam coffee cups for $5. The page showed a savings of 96%. If you scroll down on the items page it says 500ct/25 pk. When added to the cart it says item added cups 500c/ 25 pk. The shipping weight was 13 lbs. I bought 4 of these and paid about 18 for shipping. When they arrived I received four sleeves of 25 cups. When I called them they the order was right and they thought ad was a mistake. And they would forward my complaint and management contact me. I want to be fair and if it was a misprint I wanted the difference in shipping refunded. However they insist that one sleeve of foam cups weighs 13 lbs. For reference it is item number is YYAZ-DXE5310DX on tigerdirect.com

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

joebuddah posted:

However they insist that one sleeve of foam cups weighs 13 lbs.

Haha, this sounds like classic phone operator "whatever is on the screen in front of me MUST be correct."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Old Man Pants posted:

Retaliation is a huge no no in this company, something the we even have had to take a training on, so I am not really worried about that.

This is the "HR isn't on your side" thing cropping up again. They say retaliation is a huge no-no, and make everybody go to trainings about retaliation, because blatant retaliation is illegal. If it ever comes up in a legal fight, the company's lawyers need to be able to say "look how much we care about complying with the law and not retaliating against employee complaints."

But, retaliation is all about intent, and a vindictive boss can come up with all kinds of ways to gently caress you that don't rise to the level of provable retaliation. In any job, there's always good work and poo poo work. If your boss hates you, you get all the unrewarded poo poo work and your co-workers get all the good work that's fun and lets them shine in front of higher-ups. All that work legitimately has to get done, of course, so it's not provably targeted at you - but you still end up with a job you hate. Every job is full of minor deviations from procedure and little mistakes that go by unnoticed; guess what happens when your boss starts watching everything you do for the slightest slip-up? When it's time to move desks, guess who gets the crappiest location? It can go on and on.

All of this sounds petty when you're complaining about work to your friends/SO, let alone in front of a lawyer, but it's still enough to make the difference between a good job and a lovely job. And, even though it's retaliation and not legal, it's also not-illegal; it won't ever cause a problem for the company because each individual incident can be justified with internal procedures or simple "hey, somebody has to do the poo poo work/get the poo poo desk/whatever, and it just turned out to be Old Man Pants. This is nothing more than a disgruntled employee who's bringing their whining into the legal system." So, HR doesn't have any reason to give a poo poo. The only real solution is to let them win, and find a better job somewhere else.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

joebuddah posted:

Is this bait and switch or a general pricing error. Last week I bought what I thought was one of tigerdirects crazy good deals. A case of foam coffee cups for $5. The page showed a savings of 96%. If you scroll down on the items page it says 500ct/25 pk. When added to the cart it says item added cups 500c/ 25 pk. The shipping weight was 13 lbs. I bought 4 of these and paid about 18 for shipping. When they arrived I received four sleeves of 25 cups. When I called them they the order was right and they thought ad was a mistake. And they would forward my complaint and management contact me. I want to be fair and if it was a misprint I wanted the difference in shipping refunded. However they insist that one sleeve of foam cups weighs 13 lbs. For reference it is item number is YYAZ-DXE5310DX on tigerdirect.com

This isn't a legal issue. This is a navigating call centers issue. Keep asking for a supervisor until someone with a 2 brain cells that work together acknowledges that 25 foam cups don't weight 13 lbs. and then helps you with whatever reasonable resolution you are seeking.

Just food for thought: if you value your time = money, this will probably take more time than it is worth. Expect to spend 2-12 hours getting this fixed. Call centers are not designed to help customers, must like HR is not designed to help employees. They are all retention focused, which is doing the absolute minimum for the minimum price to get you to continue to be a customer.

Nuclear Option. Initiate chargeback with credit card company if you can not work it out with them. The very opening of a dispute will get the attention of a person who is not a moron.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 10, 2013

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

kedo posted:

You could always try the old "end run" tactic. If a fair number of your co-workers feel the same as you then you can, as a group, talk to your boss' boss (hereinafter boss**2). Cornering boss**2 in the hall or a mass unannounced appearance at Boss**2's office is best because it makes more of an impression and it avoids the BS of having boss get the first words in. Tell boss**2 outright that you're all unhappy with boss because he mismanaged the team badly enough that his previous team left him and that he's now asking you all to put in extra effort to cover his butt. You all could even ask to report to some other supervisor until boss**2 sorts things out. In other words, torpedo your boss.

The end result is that boss can't effectively blame the team when the goals aren't met.

Be careful to be respectful while also insisting that you all get just a minute or two of boss**2's valuable time. Also, turn off your drat phones beforehand. Just one of you texting or answering the phone during this and you'll torpedo yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

patentmagus posted:

You could always try the old "end run" tactic. If a fair number of your co-workers feel the same as you then you can, as a group, talk to your boss' boss (hereinafter boss**2). Cornering boss**2 in the hall or a mass unannounced appearance at Boss**2's office is best because it makes more of an impression and it avoids the BS of having boss get the first words in. Tell boss**2 outright that you're all unhappy with boss because he mismanaged the team badly enough that his previous team left him and that he's now asking you all to put in extra effort to cover his butt. You all could even ask to report to some other supervisor until boss**2 sorts things out. In other words, torpedo your boss.

The end result is that boss can't effectively blame the team when the goals aren't met.

Be careful to be respectful while also insisting that you all get just a minute or two of boss**2's valuable time. Also, turn off your drat phones beforehand. Just one of you texting or answering the phone during this and you'll torpedo yourselves.

You forgot Step 1: Pack a parachute.