Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

veedubfreak posted:

I -almost- bought 2 classies last week, but held off. Ended up with 2 290s because of the triple monitor set up. Acrylic wasn't my first choice but it was the only one they had in stock. Matter of fact, I tried to order 2, but ended up having to order 1 and 1 so that I would get the single block that was in stock by the weekend. This will be my first experience with EK. I've usually tried to stick with Koolance and XSPC.

What good does the backplate do other than looks?

Also, do you really run without any sort of clip on your tubing.

Ha. Trust me; I am feeling foolish for buying a 780 after the recent AMD releases. Looks like those 290s will scale much better than the 780s *AND* was much cheaper.

EK has been amazing, no regrets. I have the EK Supremacy block on my CPU as well. High flow and excellent temps. My classified it hitting ~44C in BF4 max with the CPU reaching 60. I like the acrylic. It wasn't in stock when I ordered. Will help you keep track of water condition and looks great with dye.

The backplate doesn't do much other than looks and slight rigidity. It aids with heat slightly, but I don't use it for anything other than looks.

Yes, I am really running no clips. Those are 1/2" barbs with 7/16" tubing. I have to heat up the tubing in hot water before it even begins to fit over the barbs; it won't budge without massive amounts of force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I have a UFO Horizontal, so I don't need the rigidity. I use 2 loops, one for the CPU and one for the gpu(s). I'm really tempted to make it into just 1 giant loop when I pull it down to add the 2nd video card block. My 3750k at 4500 isn't really putting out enough heat to need it's own loop. Figure I'm overdue to replace all the tubing anyway.
Thinking front rad > gpu > gpu > pump1 > rear rad > cpu > repeat.

Door bell rang.

Be back after I put 1 in on water.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know about how long after the GTX 780 Ti comes out that we may start to see iterations on the card with non-reference coolers? I'm interested in buying one, but I'm curious to see if any of the usual companies can lower the temps and noise even more with a custom HSF combo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know about how long after the GTX 780 Ti comes out that we may start to see iterations on the card with non-reference coolers? I'm interested in buying one, but I'm curious to see if any of the usual companies can lower the temps and noise even more with a custom HSF combo.

Probably soonish since it's the same PCB, if EVGA doesn't have an ACX version out very quickish I will be really surprised. Though for what it's worth, Titan/780/780Ti is the best reference cooler ever made. It's probably more expensive thanks to its rigorous construction than most of the heatpipe-based aftermarket coolers, and arguably it's not really any worse than them, just different and rear-exhaust.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Probably a very stupid question but is there a way of knowing which GPU on my laptop is running?

I have an AMD 7730m and an intel HD4000. I just bought Far Cry Bood Dragon (which owns). When I started playing it, it was fine on low settings (crashed a couple of times in the tutorial for some reason), but when I put it up to ultra it lagged a lot. I checked the 'Catalyst control centre' (AMD's switchable graphics interface thing) and it wasn't listed as a recent app so I added the .exe through the browse function but still not luck. The laptop was getting a bit warm so I shut down the game and restarted it a bit later with no changes made in between. It now works fine in ultra but I notice that when I minimise the window the intel HD graphics icon is displayed prominently as if that is being used.

Am I correct in assuming that if it was still using the HD4000 it would have frame rate issues straight away and not just when it got a bit hot?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Probably a very stupid question but is there a way of knowing which GPU on my laptop is running?

I have an AMD 7730m and an intel HD4000. I just bought Far Cry Bood Dragon (which owns). When I started playing it, it was fine on low settings (crashed a couple of times in the tutorial for some reason), but when I put it up to ultra it lagged a lot. I checked the 'Catalyst control centre' (AMD's switchable graphics interface thing) and it wasn't listed as a recent app so I added the .exe through the browse function but still not luck. The laptop was getting a bit warm so I shut down the game and restarted it a bit later with no changes made in between. It now works fine in ultra but I notice that when I minimise the window the intel HD graphics icon is displayed prominently as if that is being used.

Am I correct in assuming that if it was still using the HD4000 it would have frame rate issues straight away and not just when it got a bit hot?

I assume you just bought a new Dell? Our new 6540 lattitudes have both the Intel 4000 and the AMD 8780M showing up. I'm guessing it is something with the new Haswell boards where it ends up leaving the on board video working even when you have a discreet card. The simplest solution would be to go into the device mangler and just disable the Intel 4000. The 7730m is going to have more grunt if you use the laptop for gaming.

And on that note. PICTURES... blood for the computer god included.

Spinning the tubing off the old video card. BOOM in the face. Computers are hard.
Stalker 1
The Overlord
Naked and waiting
All good too go
Bonus pic of the backside of a 290x and a non x. The only difference is a few stickers.

Water installed.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 8, 2013

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Your post reminded me that I have never actually checked the ASICs on the cards in my current computer.

:clint:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

weinus posted:

Are you playing on full screen? It doesn't work on windowed or windowed full screen mode, for any game (yet)

Ah! Very interesting. Thanks.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Unlike the 290s or the original 780, the 780 Ti was announced with aftermarket coolers at the same time as the paper launch. So, whenever they'll actually be in stock I guess?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Your post reminded me that I have never actually checked the ASICs on the cards in my current computer.

:clint:

Me neither, it's everything you could want from a $300 7970

It's died once already, one of the fans grinded itself to death, and both Newegg and Sapphire told me gently caress off when trying to redeem the elusive warranty I see people swear by for either problem. Dumping it for a 290X this Christmas will be the most satisfying thing ever

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Me neither, it's everything you could want from a $300 7970

It's died once already, one of the fans grinded itself to death, and both Newegg and Sapphire told me gently caress off when trying to redeem the elusive warranty I see people swear by for either problem. Dumping it for a 290X this Christmas will be the most satisfying thing ever

Weird, I recently had my 6970 completely go dead on me after a few months, and Sapphire never had any issue with replacing it. Just *poof* my whole PC shut down after gaming for like an hour and a half, thankfully I had a spare card and it worked. But the RMA process for Sapphire was quick, had the RMA in with the card info, they sent back the RMA number and shipping instructions within a couple days, and I had my old card out and new card back in less than 2 weeks (so maybe 3 weeks total turnaround).

I got pretty detailed with what happened and what I tried to fix my problem, so no idea if that helped at all. When did you buy your card? I was under the impression they all had at least a 2 year warranty on them, mine still had almost a year and a half left on warranty.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Reminder that we don't really know what the ASIC validation scores mean, and that they are completely incomparable between product lines (e.g. a GF110 vs. a GK110, there is literally no connection between the validation scores).

Also, the properties listed (low validation means good overclocking with very low temps, high validation means good overclocking with very high temps) are some of the broadest strokes ever. Mainly because we don't know with certainty what the validation score really means (and those that do probably aren't contractually allowed to say anything about it). It's kind of interesting to compare within a single chip to see what correlations can be found, but even then there are a poo poo-ton of variables that go into getting a chip to run at a certain frequency with a given stability that it's kind of a wash trying to get much from the validation scores except that sometimes they're high, sometimes they're low. It's just a number that we can look at, basically.

We just hope that it corresponds with leakage, or something like that, because then we might know something actionable with regard to overclocking it.

Once you get a bit into a generation you can start seeing some slightly more useful correlations pop up with people who have certain ranges made by the same manufacturer getting better or worse results, but especially at the introduction of a new chip, it's really hard to know anything useful about the card just from its ASIC validation score - all you know is a number that you didn't know before you checked it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I bought a R9 290X today, should I have just gone with a 290 and saved monies?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

thebushcommander posted:

So I bought a R9 290X today, should I have just gone with a 290 and saved monies?

Analogous question in 2012 would be "So I bought a GTX 680, should I have just gone with a 670 and saved monies?" Though there's also the possible fan issue to consider.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Agreed posted:

Analogous question in 2012 would be "So I bought a GTX 680, should I have just gone with a 670 and saved monies?" Though there's also the possible fan issue to consider.

Well I am upgrading from a GTX460, so pretty much anything would be a massive upgrade anyway, but I didn't realize the heat might be a serious issue. I thought it was just noise levels :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

We can't answer that question. Just run with it and enjoy it for all it's worth.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

thebushcommander posted:

Well I am upgrading from a GTX460, so pretty much anything would be a massive upgrade anyway, but I didn't realize the heat might be a serious issue. I thought it was just noise levels :(

AMD's reference cooler for their moderm cards is loving terrible by modern cooler standards. nVidia is doing a little underhanded marketing but not really, they have a massively better cooler and they have been working on that aspect of their cards since Fermi v2 and the GTX 500 series of cards. Now that pays off and they've got the ballerest coolers ever, as well as a larger die to get heat off of in the first place, so they can legitimately say that their cards, across the board (thanks to Greenlight ensuring this), are both cooler and quieter than AMD's top end cards, which are REALLY LOUD AND HOT.

The weirdest part is that it's vendor-specific for AMD. So Sapphire will have one setting, Asus will have another setting, etc., and some of them will actually not be able to keep up with the cooling needs of the chip to keep it above the bare minimum performance threshold. Powertune will actually violate the fan "rules" on those cards that ship with low maximum speeds and temporarily boost them above the max speed just to keep that minimum performance threshold all the time.

Right now it would be a really bad idea to get an Asus R9 290, for example, because apparently some of them ship out with such a relatively low speed that you'll be gaming at the lowest Powertune setting for the core clock always.

Considering these cards are exceptionally cooling limited, it's pretty loving stupid that AMD decided to just strap last generation's reference coolers on them, despite adding an additional two billion transistors and a shitload of memory architecture to cool in the mix. Ace! :downs:

Edit: They should have the "different manufacturers have different fan speeds corresponding to different percentage settings" issue fixed in a driver release real soon now, for what it's worth, but it's a pretty foolish way to cut costs since getting a reputation as hot running noisy garbage with a bunch of performance controversy AT LAUNCH is going to cost them more than patching the problem so that all cards are equally loud and can barely cool it effectively. But it'll go away as soon as non-reference coolers hit the market and can actually cool the things effectively, since it seems they've got a great deal of performance headroom

On that note, my crystal ball says R9 290/290X special editions down the road, though "GHz edition" might not work and isn't as strong of a branding thing as nVidia's Ti label. Not good to tie the products to a label that can become slightly anachronistic within the product's lifetime.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 8, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm sure it's a matter of economics, but I'm still a bit surprised no one has designed an after-market blower design for the SFF market. I'm sure there are people with mATX or M-ITX systems that would love to be able to replace the stock 290/x cooler with an aftermarket cooler similar to Nvidia's. It may not be as good as Nvidia's due to the power draw, etc but it would be a drat sight better than the stock design.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Agreed posted:

AMD's reference cooler for their moderm cards is loving terrible by modern cooler standards. nVidia is doing a little underhanded marketing but not really, they have a massively better cooler and they have been working on that aspect of their cards since Fermi v2 and the GTX 500 series of cards. Now that pays off and they've got the ballerest coolers ever, as well as a larger die to get heat off of in the first place, so they can legitimately say that their cards, across the board (thanks to Greenlight ensuring this), are both cooler and quieter than AMD's top end cards, which are REALLY LOUD AND HOT.

The weirdest part is that it's vendor-specific for AMD. So Sapphire will have one setting, Asus will have another setting, etc., and some of them will actually not be able to keep up with the cooling needs of the chip to keep it above the bare minimum performance threshold. Powertune will actually violate the fan "rules" on those cards that ship with low maximum speeds and temporarily boost them above the max speed just to keep that minimum performance threshold all the time.

Right now it would be a really bad idea to get an Asus R9 290, for example, because apparently some of them ship out with such a relatively low speed that you'll be gaming at the lowest Powertune setting for the core clock always.

Considering these cards are exceptionally cooling limited, it's pretty loving stupid that AMD decided to just strap last generation's reference coolers on them, despite adding an additional two billion transistors and a shitload of memory architecture to cool in the mix. Ace! :downs:

Edit: They should have the "different manufacturers have different fan speeds corresponding to different percentage settings" issue fixed in a driver release real soon now, for what it's worth, but it's a pretty foolish way to cut costs since getting a reputation as hot running noisy garbage with a bunch of performance controversy AT LAUNCH is going to cost them more than patching the problem so that all cards are equally loud and can barely cool it effectively. But it'll go away as soon as non-reference coolers hit the market and can actually cool the things effectively, since it seems they've got a great deal of performance headroom

On that note, my crystal ball says R9 290/290X special editions down the road, though "GHz edition" might not work and isn't as strong of a branding thing as nVidia's Ti label. Not good to tie the products to a label that can become slightly anachronistic within the product's lifetime.

Are those beast Nvidia reference coolers only on 780 and above?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bleh Maestro posted:

Are those beast Nvidia reference coolers only on 780 and above?

Some mfgs put the high end one on GTX 770s, but nVidia have been using noise optimized blowers on all cards for some time. My old/FF's current 680 was super quiet :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

thebushcommander posted:

I am kind of in the same boat to only 3-4% faster than its little brother for $150.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
How quickly is power consumption usually reduced on graphics cards? Does it usually go down if they move to a smaller die size or something? Do manufacturers ever release a low power consumption version of an existing GPU?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

KingEup posted:

How quickly is power consumption usually reduced on graphics cards? Does it usually go down if they move to a smaller die size or something? Do manufacturers ever release a low power consumption version of an existing GPU?

This is a pretty complex question. One major source of power consumption is cooling, believe it or not; a good aftermarket cooler can often consume 20W fewer (or even better) than an AMD-style reference blower. It's going to exhaust that heat into the case, so there are trade-offs, but a good heat pipe and large fans-plural setup is quite power efficient taken on its own.

That said, AMD's reference blowers are really bad, the last innovation they had in the field was the move from heat-pipes to vapor chambers and then they sort of said "okay we're done!" and have left the rest of their cooling optimization up to software development. And Powertune is actually really good software; you know how the thread title says "click for free nVidia performance boost?" Well, Powertune basically operates on the same premise as the Boost 2.0 software that nVidia uses, but subtractively rather than additively. It assumes the highest clockrate possible given a set of variables (some user exposed, some not, as with nVidia's cards) and then starts at the max clock and ramps down as necessary. So going with better cooling pretty much guarantees performance enhancement.

And about cooling - power draw is a complex thing to figure when you have so many systems working in tandem on a card, but one thing that isn't complex is that resistance increases as temperature increases. Even at the same clock speed, it takes less power to achieve a given operation at a lower temperature than at a higher one. At higher clock speeds and higher temperatures, power draw can be very substantial indeed (see AMD's FX processors, some of which run a 200W+ TDP - when Bulldozer initially hit, the higher overclocks for it were clearing 300W easily and edging up on 400W, which is just crazy).

So better cooling usually means lower power draw all around, both because the cooler itself takes less power than the brute-force sort of cooling that the squirrel cage blowers use, but also because components' power usage gets lower as temperature gets lower.

On to some more technical stuff: yes, die shrinks should result in less power required. However, increased transistor density can also result in less surface area to take heat away from, meaning that it gets concentrated further, meaning that you're back to the earlier problem of hot running components using more power. But that's usually not a problem. We're just kind of outside the realm of usually with these GPUs with 4 billion plus (starting with Tahiti and onward) transistors. One of the reasons that the GK110 cards (for consumers, that's 780 and 780Ti) are easier to cool is because even though they've got a bigger die, the transistor density if I recall correctly is somewhat lower, and they've got another billion transistors to round out a significantly larger surface area to take heat from. The die shrink trade-off is that usually the greater power efficiency and lower heat output is worth the loss in surface area for heat dissipation (and, bonus, performance boost - though commentators are right to note that we're not at a point anymore where we can expect 30%-45% performance just from a node shrink).

Binning for extremely low leakage parts is done to create mobile GPUs which are then usually also run at lower clock frequencies in order to save on power, same as with mobile CPUs. In the CPU world, there are some mobile Haswell quads that operate within an 18W TDP, which is just extraordinary considering that they've got as much processing power as a Sandy Bridge quad operating at a 95W TDP.

Any specific questions about efficiency? FactoryFactory should be able to address less broad-strokes, more specific things if you're interested, he's quite knowledgeable about process lithography, especially for someone who isn't contractually bound to never talk about it. :D

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 9, 2013

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed posted:

ASIC stuff

Am aware of the irrelevance of ASIC scores in general, but I just felt it was worth sharing the two anomalous scores I got for the cards. Correlation does not indicate causation of course, but they both manage 30% or so over clocks if I do overclock them (the heat and noise is silly though from two Fermi cards going at it).

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Could be that nvidia learned a lot from the 5800 Ultra blower fiasco. I still remember the joke videos they made themselves admitting how terrible it was to have a super hot and loud video card.

Edit: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZ39nQ_k90

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 9, 2013

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in love with my r9 290. 1440p BF4 Ultra settings, 75FPS pretty much constant.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm in love with my r9 290. 1440p BF4 Ultra settings, 75FPS pretty much constant.

How is Bf4? I went from being low settings and 40ish fps in MWO to high with the same framerate at 7880x1440.

So far I have the card at 1047/5200. Waiting to see how far I can get before voltage becomes an issue. Running at 46C at full load.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Got my R9 290 today. Absolutely love it so far, and all I've done is played Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs. Both run at their absolute highest settings with no issues.

And, best of all, my computer hasn't crashed yet! It's been running solid for almost 3 hours. I think my GPU issues are finally fixed. :woop: :worship:

This is all before slapping on my Xtreme III, which I'll probably get on this weekend.

Still, I wonder what the issue was with the 580 and 780. I guess it was driver issues on both ends all along, or my 580 basically died with the 780 being defective. Either way, I'm glad I'm done with that bullshit now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How bad is the noise with the 290s?

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Tab8715 posted:

On my end, it's actually surprisingly quiet so far.

Then again, I doubt I'm stressing it out too much.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I'm considering buying a 1440p monitor for work purposes. I'm thinking of it mainly as a secondary/work-only monitor, especially since I have only a single GTX 760 SC.

I could step up to a GTX 770, though I couldn't swing the GTX 780 step up along with my monitor. Would the 770 be appreciably better than the 760, or am I better off sticking with gaming at 1920x1200?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

Some mfgs put the high end one on GTX 770s, but nVidia have been using noise optimized blowers on all cards for some time. My old/FF's current 680 was super quiet :)

I think EVGA is the only one that does, and even then, just on a 2 GB model. I was sad because I originally wanted to go with a 4 GB 770 and wanted the reference cooler for purely aesthetic reasons but no 4GB models with it are available.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

shymog posted:

I'm considering buying a 1440p monitor for work purposes. I'm thinking of it mainly as a secondary/work-only monitor, especially since I have only a single GTX 760 SC.

I could step up to a GTX 770, though I couldn't swing the GTX 780 step up along with my monitor. Would the 770 be appreciably better than the 760, or am I better off sticking with gaming at 1920x1200?

You are probably only looking at a 20% gain in FPS.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_evga_superclocked_acx_review,15.html

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

The plain 290 is pretty quiet. It is set to 47% fan speed. Dn't expect to overclock it without it getting a lot louder. So far my 290 is running at 1097 and 5400 with 47C on water.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
I think my 290 is a pretty good contender. 15 minutes on Kombustor on Quiet Mode, and it never once dropped below 900 Mhz when things got hot. Might be due to the new driver that was released earlier.

ASIC quality is 78.9% though, so it looks like I'll be sticking with air cooling. At least if the GPU-Z chart is to be believed.

Not that I have an issue with that. I bought the Xtreme III for a reason.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If ASIC actually means anything like it should, would we not be able to compare say an EVGA Classified or Super Clock vs say a regular EVGA card of the same model? Because if super clock cards and what not are supposed to be a higher bin, we could start making decent logical guesses to how ASIC works.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's been tried before and IIRC there tends to be little correlation between higher and lower tiers being consistently graded as you would expect.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

"GHz edition" might not work and isn't as strong of a branding thing as nVidia's

Oh the irony: Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition (Yes, it's just a 780 with a massive overclock; however, the results are quite something).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YJsMaT_AE

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Oh the irony: Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition (Yes, it's just a 780 with a massive overclock; however, the results are quite something).

That's it, I'm done thinking of my 1163MHz overclock as "mediocre." Apparently they could only get it to 1060MHz on the core with 60mV to work with (I only have 38mV to work with!) and it better be binned out the rear end considering the price and name. Not to mention they remark that apparently most good overclocker 780 cards stop about there-ish, huh.

This is what happens when you spend even a little bit of time on overclocking forums, it messes with your perception of normality something fierce