Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Tom Smykowski posted:

:waycool: CHENGDU FOOD STUFF GOON EATING MEETING :waycool:
So how about we meet at the 7-11 by Jiuyanqiao (by all the clubs) between 6:30 and 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Is that on the Chuan Da side of the river? I'm pretty sure I know where that is. I'll be there!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ya, on the Chuanda side of the river with all the clubs and shaokao places. The 7-11 is across from Muse and I think around the way from the Underground.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry to flake, I've been up since 5.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Guys I've got a buddy in China on his honeymoon and so far he's having a pretty rough time navigating the area and finding places to eat, can y'all help? I'd really like for him to have a memorable time while he's there, his schedule is like this as of this morning:

"We have 2 & 1/2 more days in Beijing, then 2 & 1/2 days in Nanjing with a friend, then 6 days in Shanghai"

Ideally him and his wife would meet up with one of y'all and you could show him around, he is a genuinely awesome dude so you'll likely have a good time hanging out with him. If y'all are in those areas and wouldn't mind me passing your contact info to him that'd be awesome. Suggestions as to places to hit are also fine and ways to find good food.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 8, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Sorry to flake, I've been up since 5.

Maybe you should consider quitting your job?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Texibus posted:

Guys I've got a buddy in China on his honeymoon and so far he's having a pretty rough time navigating the area and finding places to eat, can y'all help? I'd really like for him to have a memorable time while he's there, his schedule is like this as of this morning:

"We have 2 & 1/2 more days in Beijing, then 2 & 1/2 days in Nanjing with a friend, then 6 days in Shanghai"

Ideally him and his wife would meet up with one of y'all and you could show him around, he is also a genuinely awesome dude so you'll likely have a good time doing it. Suggestions as to places to hit are also fine and ways to find good food.

Someone get this man to Haidilao hot pot!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

Guys I've got a buddy in China

Yeah, we all know people in China, people come from all over to see the diff-

Texibus posted:

on his honeymoon

:stare:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Haha, they've been all over Europe and wanted to try something different for their Honeymoon.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Texibus posted:

Ideally him and his wife would meet up with one of y'all and you could show him around, he is a genuinely awesome dude so you'll likely have a good time hanging out with him. If y'all are in those areas and wouldn't mind me passing your contact info to him that'd be awesome. Suggestions as to places to hit are also fine and ways to find good food.

http://www.sugarednspiced.com/ - for higher end / novelty food - Very strong Shanghai section.

Wikivoyage is your best bet for touristy stuff to do. Or just come to HONG KONG and I can be a host. Our goon meets don't falter and flake unlike that Chinese hipster city :smug:

I think your buddy would have had a lot more fun if they went across :japan: Ultra clean, safe food, good food, and authentic historical sights like Kyoto. Also a lot more expensive too :smith:

I guess your buddy likes going to cities? China is a distinct place to visit and has its historical charms but you just need to spend a lot more :effort: I will personally ask my Beijing goon friends if they can be a host but they might be busy. If you or your buddy asked earlier and gave us time, I'm sure someone would have offered. Kind of last minute... Anyways, stuff to do.

Beijing - places to eat

If they have been around Europe they should try some Northern Chinese and Uyghur food in Beijing. A few pages back around late September there were some posts I was asking about Beijing food. Turns out I ate a pizza place with Gooooonzzzzz :waycool: I don't know much about Beijing but here we go:

• Duck: Dadong - vouched by Truavatar, http://www.dadongdadong.com/en/index.html?lang=0 One of the more famous duck places.
  • Street food - jianbing (chopped fried egg pancakes), donkey burgers
  • Great Leap brewery!
  • Dumplings - Bao zi Yuan - Can some Beijing goon please post the address? I know jack about Beijing, I my heart belongs to Shanghai

Shanghai - places to eat, http://www.sugarednspiced.com/ - shanghai section is good

• Lei Gardens - Cantonese dim sum
  • Peninsula - Cantonese dinner
  • Four Seasons - Cantonese or Shanghai food. Gold star quality shanghai style ribs
  • IT'S HAIRY CRAB SEASON
  • xiao yang sheng jian, yang's friend dumplings - cheap and decent
  • Rui Fu Yuan
  • *groan* Ding Tai Fung
  • Can't tell you how good is the sushi, will find out.
  • Boxing Cat/Dr. Beer/Kaiba/Shanghai Brewery
  • Krispy Kreme/Karl's Junior

Nanjing - There's a very very strong soup full of Chinese tears in the Nanjing Memorial Hall :downsrim:

When will your friend be in Shanghai? I'm mostly busy but they are more to welcome to hang out with gooooonnnnzzzzz and play board games. Let me see if I can squeeze in time and have afternoon tea with them in the Peninsula or go street food sweeping.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Definitely get him to Dadong or one of the other good Peking duck places in Beijing. Man, I miss good roast duck. It's a fairly expensive meal (you'll spend more than $100 for two people if you get a decent selection of stuff) but well worth it.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Here is bao yuan http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/restaurants/beijing/has/bao-yuan-dumplings/ but I always liked the xian Lao man near andingmen when I lived in Beijing. Not as colorful wrappers but the potstickers were excellent. (http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/listings/restaurants/beijing/has/xian-lao-man2/)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Texibus posted:

Haha, they've been all over Europe and wanted to try something different for their Honeymoon.

They made a very poor but memorable decision.

Also who plans their honeymoon to the world's most unromantic country so poorly that they fall back on goons?

This is the emoticon to describe what I am feeling: :colbert:

Verlay
Aug 5, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm not sure either. I'll ask some other people I know on the CSC.

One last thing is for some reason art schools are crazy competitive for the CSC. I don't know if it's because they get less money or just a huge number of foreigners want to study this stuff in China, but of people in my program who wanted to study art/music/film most didn't make it in to their top choices whereas pretty much everyone who applied for stuff like business, finance and law got in to Tsinghua/BeiDa/Fudan/etc... You art background will probably help, but it might be good to think of another school you'd like to get in to as well. I'm told knowing a prof or getting a letter from one from the school you want to get in to is pretty drat good too.

Thank you sooo much! I've got a few other schools lined up just in case, but they're all art schools (all or nothing). Fortunately I've got my most of the application done already and hopefully being the first out the woodwork at a top tier school helps.

edit: There is a visual portion and I can see how that can be hazy with it requiring "two sketches, two color paintings, and two other works", sucks for those who don't paint / draw.

Verlay fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 10, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Downstairs in Jinyuan today they've got a bunch of foreign packaged food stands set up. One of them is selling American food. It has a great big red white and blue placard with a picture of the Lincoln memorial. The two things I recall seeing were some kind of "texas style oyster sauce" or something, and great big stacks of cans of Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

This was like 2 stalls down from the one selling Russian caviar.

There was a middle aged Chinese guy standing there looking at one of the cans like it was the weirdest thing he'd ever seen; which I guess it might be...who is so lazy as to need to get their chicken soup in a can right? "Zhe shi shenme? Jirou ma?"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Buy your friend a forums account as a wedding present

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

How in the gently caress do you eat hairy crab? My Suzhou business host ordered some for me today and proceeded to leave me hanging by saying he didn't eat it so I had no lead to follow. I'm pretty sure there was not an edible scrap in there after I cracked it open so I said thanks but no thanks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ya gotta crush the whole thing into little bits to get all the meat out. Alternatively, if it just molted, it'll look great but have little meat.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Well looks like I'll be applying for South West School for Nationalities. Watch our chengdu buddies, street side BBQ, here we come!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

resident posted:

How in the gently caress do you eat hairy crab? My Suzhou business host ordered some for me today and proceeded to leave me hanging by saying he didn't eat it so I had no lead to follow. I'm pretty sure there was not an edible scrap in there after I cracked it open so I said thanks but no thanks.

From the LAN thread

GuestBob posted:

So, someone asked how they should eat hairy crab in T&T and nobody made an oral sex joke.

What are we doing here?

Texibus
May 18, 2008

peanut posted:

Buy your friend a forums account as a wedding present

I did. He's one of us now.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
At least you will know real quick if your marriage is gonna work out or not by honeymooning in China!

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
I could use some advice, guys. I have sent out my resume to a few universities in Chengdu for February vacancies but haven't received any responses. This was more testing the waters kind of thing as I was planning to arrive in March anyway. In all likelihood, I'll seek employment after I get into town. This will be a first for me. When I accept a job, how much time am I looking at before I get visa issues straightened and begin teaching? Also, any budget/financial wisdom would be gratefully appreciated.

Also, if I'm deciding between training centers (second best option, yes?), should I opt for a 6-month contract instead of a 12-month contract?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Well if you don't have a work visa before you arrive you're going to have to leave the country again to get one. I don't know if you can still do that in Hong Kong or not, but worst case is you will have to go back to your home country, so if you want to work legally I'd suggest getting a job before you go to China.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Universities usually hire for the start of the fall semester in September, so not hearing anything isn't a big deal.

What training centers are you looking at?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Mr. Goodtrips, if you want me to look at your CV and maybe offer you a university teaching job then PM me.

Obviously this would not be in Chengdu.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

GuestBob posted:

Mr. Goodtrips, if you want me to look at your CV and maybe offer you a university teaching job then PM me.

Obviously this would not be in Chengdu.

Do it. Go hangout with ghostbob! Tell us what he's like for real.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

SB35 posted:

Do it. Go hangout with ghostbob! Tell us what he's like for real.

I am the kind of waigga who's wearing transformer underpants today!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hurry up and get a job so you can start complaining about it so I can tell you to quit it after you start annoying me.

On that note, don't come to China without a plan for how you will escape China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloodnose, what's your escape plan?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hong Kong is not China :china:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One country two standards.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

If you are a very good English teacher and you always write your lesson plans and do your marking on time, you might just go to Hong Kong when you die.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

quote:

China Mobile, the largest carrier in China, with an estimated 70 percent market share. There is at least one China Mobile retailer in every town, village, alley or cluster of buildings anywhere in China. The data may be slow, but you'll have voice coverage nearly everywhere.
  • 2G (voice/text) - if your phone doesn't support GSM 900 MHz it won't work in China

• 3G (data)
    China mobile uses their own bastardized version of TD-SCDMA which is only compatible with phones they sell, so you can probably just pretend China Mobile doesn't even have 3G service.

• 4G/LTE (Fast data)
    Bands 38, 39, 40 (only available in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Wuhan, Hangzhou, Qingdao, Jinan, Xiamen, Changsha, (?))

• Check Your Balance
    Send a text message to 10086 contaning the following SMS code for relevant info (not case sensitive)
    • CXYE - current balance; where the first number in the message is the amount of credit you have left, see example.

• CXGPRS or CXLL - data info, amount used and amount remaining. The first bolded number is your monthly data plan, the second is the amount used, and the third is amount of data remaining. See example bolded for clarity.

I'm looking to get an android phone here from China Mobile in order to access their 3G network. Will the phone I buy here still work with my LTE networks back home (Canada)?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I'm looking to get an android phone here from China Mobile in order to access their 3G network. Will the phone I buy here still work with my LTE networks back home (Canada)?

Head for China Unicom. No phone that uses China Mobile's 3G will work in Canada. Any GSM/UMTS/HSPA phone that will work on 3G in Canada should work for Unicom and vice versa.

Canada uses pretty much LTE bands 4 & 7, China uses neither of those. So no, LTE is a no go. Even the iPhone 5S doesn't do both Canada/China bands on the same device.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Hey, another chengdu goon here, I'll have to join up with you guys next time you're off eating yaks.

mrgoodtrips posted:

I could use some advice, guys. I have sent out my resume to a few universities in Chengdu for February vacancies but haven't received any responses. This was more testing the waters kind of thing as I was planning to arrive in March anyway. In all likelihood, I'll seek employment after I get into town. This will be a first for me. When I accept a job, how much time am I looking at before I get visa issues straightened and begin teaching? Also, any budget/financial wisdom would be gratefully appreciated.

Also, if I'm deciding between training centers (second best option, yes?), should I opt for a 6-month contract instead of a 12-month contract?

I work at UESTC and we have a couple leaving at the end of this semester for medical reasons who will need to be replaced for february, my boss keeps asking me if I know anyone so pm me and I can give you her contact details.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

Tom Smykowski posted:

Universities usually hire for the start of the fall semester in September, so not hearing anything isn't a big deal.

What training centers are you looking at?

Few leads so far. English First seems like the one to avoid. Have you heard anything about Shane English? I'd rather teach adults but it looks like the odds are I'll be teaching kids.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool new goon!

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Get any phone right now. Today is "singles day" lots of websites like tmall, jd are having crazy sales.

something like this is decent

http://item.jd.com/971255.html

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Like ShaBi35 said, Unicom is the go-to if you have any phone not purchased in China. It also has much faster and reliable 3G in cities than mobile has. If you have a non-Chinese phone and don't plan on spending a ton of time out in the boonies, Unicom is the way to go. Telecom actually isn't bad either.

For LTE, Mobile uses 38, 39, 40 and 41 which are "newer" bands and don't see much use elsewhere. Unicom and Telecom are making LTE (and should be rolling it out early next year) using more standard bands, but their bands are usually found in European phones (1, 3) and not often in US/Canadian models.

If you have an iPhone, they generally include everything they can to avoid multiple SKUs; but Android phones cut costs by only having what they need in each region. The Nexus 5, for instance, has a Euro and N. American version and for China the Euro one is way better as far as LTE goes.

Long story short: You will probably not be able to use LTE in China. You will be able to use 3G. Use Unicom if you are using a phone from outside China.

edit: :siren: WARNING FOR ANYONE BUYING ANDROID PHONES OFF OF JINGDONG/TMALL/ETC TODAY:siren:

Because China and Google don't get along, models made to sell in China domestically (aka the ones that will be on sale) do NOT have Google Play installed and have no way to get purchased apps from that service, even if you've already purchased them on another device. You will need to root your device and install a custom ROM like CynogenMod or something to get Google Play on it and not be relegated to weird third party app stores. Some phones have issues even after doing this because Google knows you have a phone made for the Chinese market. If you're not comfortable rooting your device or having someone else do it, you'll be stuck on thrid party app stores. Samsung's and Amazon's aren't bad but they lack the sheer number of apps GP has.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

SB35 posted:

Head for China Unicom. No phone that uses China Mobile's 3G will work in Canada. Any GSM/UMTS/HSPA phone that will work on 3G in Canada should work for Unicom and vice versa.

Canada uses pretty much LTE bands 4 & 7, China uses neither of those. So no, LTE is a no go. Even the iPhone 5S doesn't do both Canada/China bands on the same device.

Magna Kaser posted:

Like ShaBi35 said, Unicom is the go-to if you have any phone not purchased in China. It also has much faster and reliable 3G in cities than mobile has. If you have a non-Chinese phone and don't plan on spending a ton of time out in the boonies, Unicom is the way to go. Telecom actually isn't bad either.

For LTE, Mobile uses 38, 39, 40 and 41 which are "newer" bands and don't see much use elsewhere. Unicom and Telecom are making LTE (and should be rolling it out early next year) using more standard bands, but their bands are usually found in European phones (1, 3) and not often in US/Canadian models.

If you have an iPhone, they generally include everything they can to avoid multiple SKUs; but Android phones cut costs by only having what they need in each region. The Nexus 5, for instance, has a Euro and N. American version and for China the Euro one is way better as far as LTE goes.

Long story short: You will probably not be able to use LTE in China. You will be able to use 3G. Use Unicom if you are using a phone from outside China.

edit: :siren: WARNING FOR ANYONE BUYING ANDROID PHONES OFF OF JINGDONG/TMALL/ETC TODAY:siren:

Because China and Google don't get along, models made to sell in China domestically (aka the ones that will be on sale) do NOT have Google Play installed and have no way to get purchased apps from that service, even if you've already purchased them on another device. You will need to root your device and install a custom ROM like CynogenMod or something to get Google Play on it and not be relegated to weird third party app stores. Some phones have issues even after doing this because Google knows you have a phone made for the Chinese market. If you're not comfortable rooting your device or having someone else do it, you'll be stuck on thrid party app stores. Samsung's and Amazon's aren't bad but they lack the sheer number of apps GP has.

Thanks guys, I think I'll keep using my android phone and switch to Unicom. Also, I want to come to Shanghai for this goon meat. Where should I stay in terms of hostel? I also want to shop til I drop (for clothing), where's a good place to do this?