Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Piedmont? The gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ras Het posted:

Piedmont is just french for foothills.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Zohar posted:

Well there are academics in Russia now who view the US as inherently unstable,* plenty of people see China as inherently unstable, etc. The idea that Austria-Hungary was on the path to collapse certainly wasn't a mainstream view at the time (and "inherently unstable" can mean a lot of things so I don't know if that's what the source you're reading actually says or if it's an interpolation), and France and Austria-Hungary were in any case major rivals at the time. In 1904, for instance, Teddy Roosevelt said that Austria-Hungary's treatment of nationalities was a model the US ought to follow.

Austria-Hungary and China/the United States aren't remotely comparable. As mentioned above, that US map is from a quack Russian conspiracy theorist. And any instability in the United States and China isn't likely to lead to a total national dissolution, unlike the instability in Austria-Hungary.

Austria-Hungary, unlike the other states you listed, wasn't a nation. It was a royal dominion that was desperately holding onto power through any conceivable manner, in an age where nationalism reigned supreme. None of the nations under the crown's rule had any real ties to Austria proper, being forced under the crown's rule via ancient and irrelevant royal intrigues and battles with the Ottomans. Unlike the United States, there was no effort or desire to assimilate the nations under an Austrian culture. Unlike England, the other nations under the crown weren't colonies settled by recent English expats. Unlike Russia, the other nations weren't forced into submission by a superpower overwhelming their capacities for national survival.

Not to mention that the desire to keep the empire together, towards the end, was similar to the efforts to keep the Ottomans intact: a desire to prevent a total breakdown of European order. It would have sparked a massive regional war, with Romania, Russia, Germany, Serbia, Italy, the Ottomans, etc all rushing to assert their claims, Czechs and Germans fighting a brutal war, Croats and Slovaks fighting Hungarians for independence, Hungarians fighting Romanians for eastern Transylvania, etc.

So no, the idea that Austria-Hungary was inherently unstable is not a historical creation. The only way anything resembling the Empire lasts in the 20th century is if the nations went independent but retained their military and economic ties, which most states would have little incentive to do once free from the crown.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think the idea is that people are most identified with the ancient or middle kingdom that once ruled their region? That seems a little silly to me given the cleavages in some of the "historical zones" today.

Here's another islam-the-map:

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 8, 2013

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"Piedmont"?

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Who are all the Shia inside Turkey?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Peruser posted:

Who are all the Shia inside Turkey?

It's estimated that as much as a quarter of Turkey's population is Alevi.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just gonna call this one oversimplification.jaypeg. I guess the inset map is a proposal for how to carve everything up right.

Why isn't Balochistan on there?

Old James posted:

Ras Het posted:

Piedmont is just french for foothills.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This Middle Eastern religious map kind of illustrates the folly of trying to make Islam-the-map. You get the modern details, but you're left wondering about how it got that way, and who those Ibadi folks are.

What?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dethslayer666 posted:

I like how Canada annexes a region with twice its population. Also I'm pretty sure The Texas Republic would annex Mexico, not the other way around.

Tennessee and the Carolinas also probably wouldn't join the EU.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Boiled Water posted:

Tennessee and the Carolinas also probably wouldn't join the EU.

I wonder why he avoided just making the confederacy mark 2? It makes way more sense than the Core of the CSA shacking up with Europe anyway.

(I cannot believe nobody has bought a confederate flag with a crying general lee smily).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This Middle Eastern religious map kind of illustrates the folly of trying to make Islam-the-map. You get the modern details, but you're left wondering about how it got that way, and who those Ibadi folks are.

Just gonna call this one oversimplification.jaypeg. I guess the inset map is a proposal for how to carve everything up right.

If these silly foreigners would just quit all their squabbling and let white people tell them where their borders ought to be, the world wouldn't have so many problems :wotwot:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zohar posted:

Well there are academics in Russia now who view the US as inherently unstable,* plenty of people see China as inherently unstable, etc. The idea that Austria-Hungary was on the path to collapse certainly wasn't a mainstream view at the time (and "inherently unstable" can mean a lot of things so I don't know if that's what the source you're reading actually says or if it's an interpolation), and France and Austria-Hungary were in any case major rivals at the time. In 1904, for instance, Teddy Roosevelt said that Austria-Hungary's treatment of nationalities was a model the US ought to follow.

*For content:

Kentucky: Proud member of the European Union

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is seriously Francis Fukuyama levels of nonsensical predictions.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

If these silly foreigners would just quit all their squabbling and let white people tell them where their borders ought to be, the world wouldn't have so many problems :wotwot:

You know who made those borders in the first place, right?

LP97S fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 9, 2013

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Riptor posted:

Kentucky: Proud member of the European Union

Arizona: Much more Chinese than Mexican.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I'm Canadian now, eh?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

withak posted:

He is a professor at Russia. It says right there on the picture.
The whole point to this was, "Hey guys! Let me show you how we're finally going to get Alaska back!"

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Arizona: Much more Chinese than Mexican.

At least Idaho at one point had a pretty high Chinese population. :shrug:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lycus posted:

The whole point to this was, "Hey guys! Let me show you how we're finally going to get Alaska back!"

Igor Panarin posted:

"It would be reasonable for Russia to lay claim to Alaska; it was part of the Russian Empire for a long time." A framed satellite image of the Bering Strait that separates Alaska from Russia like a thread hangs from his office wall. "It's not there for no reason," he says with a sly grin.

The guy that came up with this map seems to exist to generate insane ideas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Panarin

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

LP97S posted:

You know who made those borders in the first place, right?

And clearly we need to do it do it again! Silly colonials :rolleye:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'm just mentioning that the whole "meddlin overseers!" phrase kinda falls apart when trying to defend the horrible, horrible Middle East borders, unless your backing Israel and Turkey who are more than happy to have their current borders and more since they'll take the kid gloves off.

Edit: To clarify, my opinion is "poo poo's all hosed up" and those borders are no more sacrosanct than the fake kingdoms created off of them.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 9, 2013

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

How about we give them Georgia instead, just to confuse everyone?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It looks like it's a recreation of a map from the book Lands of the Eastern Caliphate, a history book from the early 20th century about the Abbasid caliphate. Each area on the inset map has a chapter devoted to how the caliphate affected the history of the area.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There are some weird ones in that national stereotypes collection. Some are kind of obvious, I wanted more historical views like this Habsburg guy:

Green is Genoa, red is Venice, I think Wild Germans is the Duchy of Prussia and the Livonian Order. Actually, pretty much the whole 16th century in Europe was kind of a prelude to the thirty years' war.

This is an amusing map, albeit with a severe lack of art and dynastic marriages, not to mention the fact that both Francis I and Henry VIII died in 1547 and that Charles's son Philip was the king of England by jure uxoris in 1555. Had some of the Hapsburgs' marriages and wars gone marginally better than they did, Europe in 1619 would have been rather different than it turned out.

At any rate, sixteenth century Europe was remarkably complex and reducing it to an inevitable path towards the Thirty Years' War alone is incredibly misguided.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 9, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Where did Armenia go? :ohdear:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I won't accept that spelling of Kipchak :argh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Qipchaq is best Qipchaq.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Hedera Helix posted:

What's an "Armenia" dude? Are you feeling okay?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Not seeing the Kurds on here. That could be a problem!!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think most of them are in "Zagros."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hedera Helix posted:

It's there, as part of the Caspia region. The A sticks slightly into the Pontica region.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That's Zagros, essentially.

Again, it's not a contemporary map of the Middle east by ethnicity, it's a particular way of mapping cultural influences in the middle east in the period a few centuries either side of 1000AD.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think the idea is that people are most identified with the ancient or middle kingdom that once ruled their region? That seems a little silly to me given the cleavages in some of the "historical zones" today.

Here's another islam-the-map:

It seems like these Ibadi guys really have this geography thing figured out. How is being the only state in the middle east where borders and religious demographics match working out for them?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kustomkarkommando posted:

The guy that came up with this map seems to exist to generate insane ideas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Panarin

Most famous for that loving map... If that's all I need to gain global notoriety and a Wikipedia article, I'd better dig up all those alt-history JPEGs I made when I was 18.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

twoday posted:

It seems like these Ibadi guys really have this geography thing figured out. How is being the only state in the middle east where borders and religious demographics match working out for them?

Mountains, like the Czechs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Killer robot posted:

How about we give them Georgia instead, just to confuse everyone?

I can't find any now but there was definitely some confusion in the USA when Russia invaded Georgia in 2008.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Peanut President posted:

I can't find any now but there was definitely some confusion in the USA when Russia invaded Georgia in 2008.

Here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

steinrokkan posted:

Most famous for that loving map... If that's all I need to gain global notoriety and a Wikipedia article, I'd better dig up all those alt-history JPEGs I made when I was 18.

Are we doing this?

Okay, I'll start.

I'm so ashamed, now. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pakled posted:

Are we doing this?

Okay, I'll start.

You are smart :downs: Though that's not any worse than any other Nazis-win scenario, and for once it's not one where the Brits suddenly decide Naziism looks like a great idea let's voluntarily join the people we just fought!

New Zealand though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

twoday posted:

If you're talking about Oman it actually doesn't match the borders.

Pakled posted:

Are we doing this?

Okay, I'll start.

Australia is a puppet state of Japan and an ally of the US? What?