Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I've been super excited to get my hands on Balance of the Force, and yesterday FFG snuck in the full rules to the set on the support page along with the new FAQ and tourney rules.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4423

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Edge of Darkness is $19.69 on Amazon, which is all of 30 cents cheaper than CSI, but with better shipping options.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, dead game walking here.

I'm taking the following list to local tournament, debating on the fifth (and maybe fourth) pod. Anyone want to opine?

Questionable Contacts x2
Raise the Stakes x2
Asteroid Sanctuary x2 (Questionable)
Across the Anoat Sector x2

Last Defense of Hoth
Pros:
-Last Defense of Hoth means that I'm very likely to win Edge Battles when need be
-Renegade X-Squadron clears the way for Blockade Runners and Sleuth Scouts (Swindle #5-6)
-Stinging Insult allows a non-sneak to draw off a sneak defender (more Swindles)
-Don't Get Cocky means if a Sleuth Scout gets through it takes an objective with only one Across the Anoat or Raise the Stakes.

Cons:
-1 Resource
-Col Serra is good but seems clunky
-Renegade Pilot is garbage

Wookie Life Debt
Pros:
-Chewbacca is a house, and 3 resource for a double blast icon is the best cost to blast icon ratio in S&S.
-Let the Wookie Win is direct damage in a deck that sorely lacks it with the exception of Han
-Protect Character keeps units like Han around longer

Cons:
-1 Resource, pod really only sings with its objective out.
-The rest of the pod is light on blast damage and on S&S units.

Trust Me
Pros:
-2 Resource Objective with a usable ability
-Lando can clear off a blocker, requiring DS to double block all sneaks. Then you can simply pull the sneak out and attack another objective.
-Saboteur can hit Sith Holocron and all the 1-1 and 2-2 resource enhancements, amongst other things.
-1-1 resource enhancement
-Sabotage can seriously hurt aggro Imperial Navy decks.

Cons:
-Saboteur is junk for actually winning.
-Sabotage is highly likely to be a dead card.

The Defense of Cloud City
-2 Resource objective
-Cloud City Wing Guards, meet Sleuth Scout.
-Security Control Center gives my units a bit more survivability. I guess.

Cons:
-Lobot will really only see use as a resource/force taker.
-Cloud City Wing Guards are bloody expensive
-Protection??

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Deck ideas

From what you're thinking, I'd probably go with Lando. More resources are always good, and I love the Saboteur for getting rid of pesky enhancements. You could even use him with the Falcon for fun shenanigans. I would definitely keep Asteroid Sanctuary. The Falcon is just such a great unit. The operative can also help make sure your Sleuths get through unopposed, and more Twists are always helpful for the Edge.

Since you're going with vehicles, maybe you could think about Prepare for Evacuation? It'd give you a few more Blast icons and help protect the Sleuths/Blockade Runner if something goes wrong. I'd also think about going cross-faction for The Defense of Yavin 4. The obj will help get the vehicles out faster, Red 2 is a great unit, and you get some of the ever-useful Rebel Assault. Astromech Droid Upgrade is not to be underestimated either. I got murdered by someone that got out a Sleuth with a Astromech Droid Upgrade on the first turn.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Prepare for Evacuation, absolutely. Protect is really really good. And since you have a poo poo load of black blast icons from your unblockables you can just keep beating away with them and saving them with the protectors even if you encounter some speedbumps.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008
So if I'm looking to get into this game and spend about $100 what would be the best way to do it? Two core sets and two edge of darkness? Would getting the force packs be better than the two edge of darkness?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
That'll give you the most options if you want to play casually with some friends. If you want to work to tournament you need force packs ASAP since some of the best cards are there.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Corn Scientist posted:

So if I'm looking to get into this game and spend about $100 what would be the best way to do it? Two core sets and two edge of darkness? Would getting the force packs be better than the two edge of darkness?

You could try talking with this guy. http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLCG/comments/1qaqt6/im_looking_to_quit_anyone_knowing_someone_to_join/

If he sold the promo stuff seperately you could talk him down to $100 doubtlessly.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

You could try talking with this guy. http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLCG/comments/1qaqt6/im_looking_to_quit_anyone_knowing_someone_to_join/

If he sold the promo stuff seperately you could talk him down to $100 doubtlessly.

I emailed they guy in regards to the promos only... The whole lot got sold locally about an hour ago. :(

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

I emailed they guy in regards to the promos only... The whole lot got sold locally about an hour ago. :(

Sorry to hear it.

I don't know how I feel about promos in SWLCG due to the deck construction nature. If an opponent plays force choke, I can check the set # and see if he's running Palp or Vader (likely both but still). At least for the pod iconics it's pretty obvious if they play an arrabeckistan Luke/Boba/Squadron which pod they're from.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Sorry to hear it.

I don't know how I feel about promos in SWLCG due to the deck construction nature. If an opponent plays force choke, I can check the set # and see if he's running Palp or Vader (likely both but still). At least for the pod iconics it's pretty obvious if they play an arrabeckistan Luke/Boba/Squadron which pod they're from.

I just wanted copies of the Regional IDs since there wasn't a SW Regional closer than 8 hours away :v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

I just wanted copies of the Regional IDs since there wasn't a SW Regional closer than 8 hours away :v:

Oh totally understand, they are nice to look at. Is no one selling them for a reasonable price online? I know the force coins go for stupid money.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nope. There was one listing for 40 dollars on ebay but it timed out.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Corn Scientist posted:

I'm actually looking into selling mine since I haven't played in a few months. It doesn't look like you have PM, but if you want to email removed I can send you details.

Frohike999 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 11, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Carteret posted:

Nope. There was one listing for 40 dollars on ebay but it timed out.

If ebay falls through I'll make you foil ones using the scanned images I received from a nice person a while back. They're not the thick acrylic that the real ones are but they are shiny!

In actual content, what happened at Worlds? Did anyone here go?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I may take you up on that!

Regarding worlds, You can go to https://www.twitch.tv/ffglive and check out the archived footage. The 1v1 match was pretty good, but I was far more interested in the 2v2 games they streamed. The winner from GenCon and a Team Covenant guy took the championship, it looks super fun and I think that this format could seriously boost interest in the game. I'm really excited to get some competitive team play in :D

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Carteret posted:

I may take you up on that!

Regarding worlds, You can go to https://www.twitch.tv/ffglive and check out the archived footage. The 1v1 match was pretty good, but I was far more interested in the 2v2 games they streamed. The winner from GenCon and a Team Covenant guy took the championship, it looks super fun and I think that this format could seriously boost interest in the game. I'm really excited to get some competitive team play in :D

I'll have to check that out, we're super excited for multiplayer as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have an active local scene?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Does anyone have an active local scene?

Mine is slowly building. It's hard because Netrunner is so popular, I'm hoping that once we get a "Team" for Netrunner going, we can translate that into Mage Wars, Summoner Wars and Star Wars LCG. Unfortunately my scene is not super competitive but once we bring some of the players of other games into this one, I'm optimistic that we can open up more competitive play.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PJOmega posted:

Oh totally understand, they are nice to look at. Is no one selling them for a reasonable price online? I know the force coins go for stupid money.

Just curious, how much do the coins go for?

Also about the regional IDs, I don't believe they're acrylic. Or at least mine weren't.

I am wondering about the force chokes though, as they're in a couple of pods. How are they numbered?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Just curious, how much do the coins go for?

Also about the regional IDs, I don't believe they're acrylic. Or at least mine weren't.

I am wondering about the force chokes though, as they're in a couple of pods. How are they numbered?

Here is what the coins have sold for on ebay.

And they aren't acrylic, but I can't find a set for cheaper than 40 bucks. I'm still looking!

The Force Chokes are numbered for set 19 (Vader Pod, not Emperor)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I got my second set of Regional Affiliation Cards bundled with a playmat which cost me $50 with shipping, but that was while Regionals were taking place. I got dead last in our Regional, but we only had ten players, and I wanted six affiliation cards so I could have one for each faction. That was the only auction I could find, now I feel like I got a good deal (and a sweet Darth Vader mousepad too).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Carteret posted:

Here is what the coins have sold for on ebay.

And they aren't acrylic, but I can't find a set for cheaper than 40 bucks. I'm still looking!

The Force Chokes are numbered for set 19 (Vader Pod, not Emperor)

Yeah the regional cards aren't acrylic, they're 2 sided. I actually had a couple of sets and 2 playmats, but I sold one of the playmats. Also tempted to sell my coin, didn't know they were going that high...

And I hope the multiplayer set does boost interest in the game, although I'm not particularly interested in it at all. I really think the core mechanics are solid, but for whatever reason it just hasn't gotten the traction I'd expect from the license.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

Yeah the regional cards aren't acrylic, they're 2 sided. I actually had a couple of sets and 2 playmats, but I sold one of the playmats. Also tempted to sell my coin, didn't know they were going that high...

And I hope the multiplayer set does boost interest in the game, although I'm not particularly interested in it at all. I really think the core mechanics are solid, but for whatever reason it just hasn't gotten the traction I'd expect from the license.

So many people see it played at my local store and blow it off either because they got burned on the Decipher CCG or because it isn't the Decipher CCG. Gotta love gamers and their insane vendettas and devotions.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm selling a super sweet bundle here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589170

I'd like to sell it to a goon that will put good use to it!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm selling a super sweet bundle here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589170

I'd like to sell it to a goon that will put good use to it!

Think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:doh: I OPd the correct thread, too! Thanks

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deluxe expansion is coming in this week. Anyone already checked it out? I'm really looking forward to multiplayer: 2v2 mostly.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Deluxe expansion is coming in this week. Anyone already checked it out? I'm really looking forward to multiplayer: 2v2 mostly.

You and me both. I've seen enough previews from places like TableFlip and Team Covenant with exclusive set spoilers that I have a general idea, and it looks good in all the right places.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
For fucks sake, Heroes and Legends is now February on FFG's site.

FFG is killing this game in my area.

It wasn't huge, but I got a couple of people interested and playing and 2 other guys even bought some stuff instead of just using my cards. But no one is interested in this except for me anymore.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We had a really popular league at my FLGS, should be startin' back up after the New Year. FFG gonna FFG, but yeah this is pretty bad.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

alg posted:

We had a really popular league at my FLGS, should be startin' back up after the New Year. FFG gonna FFG, but yeah this is pretty bad.

Well, in April I'm moving to Salem, Oregon and I guess they have a very robust Star Wars (LCG, RPG, and X-Wing) scene there, so I guess I'll just buy stuff until I get there and get back into it then.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Gamer's Armory? I'm trying to be transfer up to State in the Fall, and if that's true that's amazeballs. They play much A:NR there? Or would I still need to head to AE?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

Gamer's Armory? I'm trying to be transfer up to State in the Fall, and if that's true that's amazeballs. They play much A:NR there? Or would I still need to head to AE?

Yeah. I am not sure about A:NR but I know there is a crowd for it, they had a big tournament. I want to say they are working on a NR league but don't quote me on it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Balance of the Force should be out today or tomorrow.

http://toptiergaming.com/articles?showarticle=58

This is kewl:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Picked up Balance of the Force. The bog standard Interceptor for multiplayer has Shielding :spergin:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Picked up Balance of the Force. The bog standard Interceptor for multiplayer has Shielding :spergin:

Mechanically it makes sense. Consider it more of an 'evasion' token to account for their speed and ability to avoid getting locked down.

Thematically, yes it makes no sense but it is for 3v1 play.

Faux Edit: Which gives no explanation for shielding other units/objectives.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

Faux Edit: Which gives no explanation for shielding other units/objectives.

It speedily Intercepts enemy fire with its own hull? :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The 4th Echoes of the Force force pack was teased today: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4548

That art on the package is pretty insane. Also, what's up with the weird clamshell box? I really preferred the cardboard tuckboxes of the Hoth cycle (and all the other LCG packs they put out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Join us or DIE

oh boy!

Edit: beaten :v:

I like the clamshell for no other reason that I won't feel compelled to keep all these drat cardboard boxes from the THREE LCGs I keep up with.

• Locked thread